WeAreNewcastle1053

Basically what happens when the likes of Mortis Ghost and Claude Higgins get their hands on Fire Emblem Fates.

So this is a fangame, done in RPG Maker XP, so it will not have the same mechanics as Fire Emblem Fates. In fact, it will have very similar mechanics to OFF by Mortis Ghost (along with its own fangames, including UNKNOWN). But it is based off Fire Emblem Fates and pretty well 99% of the content is Fire Emblem Fates, even if portrayed differently (e.g. not the official resources).

Okay so what happens is there is a Revelation timeline, created over a Conquest timeline but then Conquest tries to take over (hence the creepypasta-esque name Conquest.exe) and a huge struggle ensues. Like UNKNOWN, there will be multiple endings, based on the player's actions and the methods to get them will be secret (meaning the game itself won't give you hints, you'll have to find out for yourself or ask others how to get all the endings). It's going to be incredibly dark and stuff. It centres around the Avatar and her (headcanon) married family - Ryoma, Kana and Shiro and their determination to keep the timeline stable and protect it from characters from the Conquest timeline (but of course the other characters from the Rev. timeline will be assisting). Then along comes a Puppeteer...

The Puppeteer decides to help the Rev!Characters out (if you don't want to help them out, then don't play at all, it's that simple) but evil ensues.

Spoiler

This evil takes two main forms: Female!Corrin and a glitch named Glitch!Ryoma, Nightmare Ryoma, or just Ryoma.exe (because crappypasta shit). They try to kill Ryoma and Shiro (and by extension, Kana, because he actually has part of Ryoma's soul) and force the Avatar, or FrostFire, to reset and follow Conquest. When she refuses, it is decided she also has to go. 

So yeah, take care out there, my friends, and-  YXZvaWQgc2VwcHVrdQ==

• 1 month later...

I already got some work done:

1)  I'm working on an attack system that adds Str/Mag to attack power, and allows the user to attack even without a weapon (hand-to-hand combat). However, I'm having a problem with this  
   function:
image.thumb.png.c3902b2592358c490aad90d8b834c572.png

I have no idea how to incorporate it here:
image.png.05f437d7079d8d01dd4b532b368da70e.png

(Please note attack_type is an array that defines attack elements that a weapon has and I want to use the first value of the array (which will be "1" for a physical attack and "2" for a magical attack.) But yeah, I'm actually new to Ruby scripting and I don't know many people who use RPG Maker here. But if ANY ONE person showed me how to incorporate this, I'd be fine with it.

2) I (sort-of) made overworld sprites for Ryoma. I recoloured the original sprites, edited out one of the katanas (because there can be only one Rajinto), and even made some custom sprites, all using Paint.net (because I wanted to use something that had more functions than the shitty MS Paint, also because I heard it's really good for 256 colour sprites in RM2k3). So I have a big spritesheet full of Ryoma sprites, some of which may be upsetting and show how much I enjoy torturing him:

Spoiler

5c037a1583688_True_Ryoma_Mapspr(LabelledResizedWatermark).thumb.png.62e942ab4d2a13cc5fa6604be04980e6.png

DISCLAIMER: Sprites taken from official FE sprites so credit to IS and the person who ripped them as well! I will also be hosting them on my DeviantArt (Articuno32)

3) I'm also working on a spritesheet for FrostFire, who is the Avatar of this run. They are so much unlike the canon Corrin in so many ways. Oh, and they have a custom hairstyle, which looks a little too much like Ryoma's...

I worked out how to sort out that array problem:

image.thumb.png.7acf3b0beab863544797abb620e0f934.png

Using a Ruby shell, I can virtually test codes with ease, while also being able to tell what's happening with the functions.

Thanks to this, I can now get the game to differentiate between physical and magical weapons:
image.png.2e3703ddb8284071b020c31dea4737e3.png

I gave Ryoma two weapons: Iron Sword and Thunder, which he can currently use because he's my little guinea pig so I allowed him to use them:
image.png.4f7ff1a7d92f3d3a0618e4d70c79c704.png

image.png.02cbee47765d19fa6285280a948b87da.png

Both weapons have the same Might, for testing purposes. Ryoma, however, has a lower Magic (INT in RMXP terms) stat than his Str, as you can see here:

image.png.e5651514bd780f4d65443e6b460ccb53.png 

If you do the maths, you'll find out that both weapons have a Might of 80. Seemingly huge, but this is because of RMXP's game mechanics - the stats have bigger numbers because of the default game mechanics.

Now my next goal is to make Def and Res into base stats, make Skill the stat that determines hit rate (because for some reason Strength is the stat RMXP uses), and also to work out how to change base stat growth calculations and battle mechanics (I've already got double roll accuracy in place though). Once I've sorted the last one out, I can then reduce Ryoma's stats to be more proportional to the mechanics of Fire Emblem.

• 1 month later...

Well, that was a long hiatus... but I figured some things out...

Okay... I've come to realise that FrostFire may actually be taking on multiple classes... Vanguard, Hero, Great Lord, Blacksmith and finally, a secret class that you will have to find a really good ending to get... Say what you will... FrostFire can be a Vanguard regardless of gender... because Artistic Licence!

I'm gonna use Hinoka's head for the base on which I'm gonna draw FrostFire's head. Because I just couldn't get Ryoma's head to work as a good base... Hinoka's head can make a good base since I intented FrostFire's hairstyle to be a midpoint between her's and Ryoma's.

Now, recolouring Hinoka's head is kinda hard, since the sprites use so many hues!

Also, I created a really bad error that may occur in the game. It might be a major spoiler though... This one's animated...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.da2f228c52a654acad67af1f17ad000d.png

I used 4s and 6s for the errors because creepypasta clichés wheeeee! 4 would be a number of death in a Hoshidan context in this game...

Another one for those who don't mind major spoilers:

Spoiler

With the multiple endings thing, I'm thinking of putting in different errors that occur in different endings. For example, the spritesheet above could be the result of a really bad ending, since the glitches got so bad the whole computer died. With better endings, however, either "Conquest.exe" would crash or the game would shut down under the guise of a crash.

With the true ending, however, I'm planning on making the game "crash", only to show the true epilogue when you reopen it and load your save. How to make it work is gonna be a bit of a problem though...

• 1 month later...

I'm in a Software Design and Development class now, so I'm picking up momentum for getting back to doing work on Conquest.exe. I was initially worried about what I would do about Hoshidan weapons and weapon effectiveness, until I discovered a real lifesaver!

image.png.d12134f3438ad008d7eeee3c2800b1ef.png

Ha! I'm even using it now! ; )
Tfw you realise the browser mentioned is "Konqueror", which is a pun on a word related to "Conquest".

You know what? I should find a way to access the data related to the Actors, so I can make defence and resistance into base stats that can be utilised. From there things will be MUCH easier.

Also, I have come up with different armours for characters of different classes. For example, Ryoma, along with other Swordmasters, would basically have a Mask, Battle Coat, possibly an armour slot for boots, maybe...? The other armour slots would be just normal armour that anyone can wear.
FrostFire could be a tricky one, though since she goes through a whole bunch of classes...

And although I have Ryoma's walkcycle down, I need to find a way to make him use his idle sprites when he's not moving... ...and battle sprites would be tricky too... but one thing at a time...

EDIT: Because I don't like double-posting in one go, even though it's technically allowed here for me, I'm thinking of making the stat algorithms in terms of HP, Attack and Defence more like that of Fire Emblem Warriors, because their gameplay allows for larger numbers.

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053

• 2 months later...

Hm... Base stats in RMXP aren't all that flexible. But I've got an idea.

I'm gonna take a default base stat and use it as a reference point for the characters' base stats...
OR I could make a PBS file instead for the characters and alter the game's code to go off that.

• 3 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 7:56 PM, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Hm... Base stats in RMXP aren't all that flexible. But I've got an idea.

I'm gonna take a default base stat and use it as a reference point for the characters' base stats...
OR I could make a PBS file instead for the characters and alter the game's code to go off that.

Actually... I was able to link to the level paramaters and align the variables to what the paramater (e.g. Dexterity) would be at a certain level. Like this:

unknown.png

But I will need to develop a equation with these variables... I've been using an online program called Desmos to help me try to generate a curve, but without any references to go from, I may be unable to put these variables into use...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally coming up with some good growth curves. I managed to work out the linear growth rate for the average... now I just gotta work out the attributes of the two parabolic curves for fast and slow growth rates.

Also considering that RPG Maker XP's code rounds down decimals (resulting in a loss of number information, which leads to faulty stats), I multiplied the stats by the number of level changes and ONLY divided them back to their normal values at the end. Same with the parabolic curves, which require me to avoid dividing by 98^(acceleration level) until the very end:

unknown.png

Hence I'm now able to set up base stats for ALL stats (HP, CP, Str, Mag, Skill, Luck, Spd, Def and Res) without having to make serious modifications to RPG Maker. Yay for circumventing program limitations!

Here, "n" is merely the base stat, so I'm sure it won't affect equipment or items.

Here's how the curve works: I manually set the "stat parameters" to the base stat, final stat and growth rate/acceleration. The script reads those specific stats and uses a mathametical equation to calculate what the stats should be, instead of just brute-force reading what each stat is at every level. However, such a complex calculation may take a bit of processor resources. However, with these calculations, you can implement at least hundreds of different "base stats" (I'm not sure why you'd want to though, anyway...).

With this vexing problem out of my way, I can rest easy now!

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053

• 2 weeks later...

I've now moved on to weapons and armour. Because both editors for these items don't have what I want, I'm gonna create a text file for them and use the text file as the information.

But how I'm gonna do that is gonna be really HARD. (Any help please?)

• 3 months later...

Okay, so the text method is out of the window, because some kind soul at the RPG Maker forums showed me a different method that actually works. If you wanna find out more, go here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/creating-weapons-with-custom-properties-solved.117997/#post-1042865 and perhaps you might learn a thing or two.

Now I'm just gonna leave you all in my dust as I move on to the next part.

• 2 months later...

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/429676708808097812/704155654746669096/Conquest.exe_-_Looming_Disaster.mp3

First Conquest.exe soundtrack. Basically an edited version of "Warmth is Gone"

I plan to have this play on the Title screen.

I've begun making tilesets for Conquest.exe. The game begins in Castle Shirasagi, in the place where you fight Ryoma in Conquest Ch. 25, because reasons.

Now is someone going to say something about that they think of this or what?

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.6d2dfc196738cb57f762ae10559d404b.png

Getting there. Here I'm using placeholder textures because I just want to get this map completed without wasting time spriting everything. 
Autotiles can be a pain in the butt and without the Autotile Expansion and the ability to use the Shift key to avoid affecting autotiles, I wouldn't be able to do any of this.

This map will be a very important plot symbol, because this is where the majority of Ryoma's trauma comes from.

• 5 months later...

The map looks great! 😁

Autotiles are a pain. I've experimented with creating my own, and it's a nuisance. They keep creating borders where I don't want them, and sometimes my animated tiles overlap and clash with each other.

What is the autotile expansion?

On 11/8/2020 at 12:54 AM, Magenta Fantasies said:

Autotiles are a pain. I've experimented with creating my own, and it's a nuisance. They keep creating borders where I don't want them, and sometimes my animated tiles overlap and clash with each other.

What is the autotile expansion?

Autotile Expansion is where you choose which part of the autotile out of the generated autotile palette to use for the map. Additionally, holding down shift when placing tiles will stop the tiles you place from affecting adjacent tiles. This should prevent the problem of "creating borders where you don't want them".

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I looked into Autotile Expansion more on the RPG Maker forums. I've tried holding down shift to negate the autotile effects, but sometimes that messes up the borders on other tiles I create around them. It's hard to explain. 😅 I would provide screenshots, but I can't for the next month or so until I get a new computer. It's a long story.