Do you gravitate towards playstyle or favoritism?

Fabulously Olivier

When you pick your main characters, do you prioritize those that have playstyles you enjoy or do you try to master those characters that appeal to you outside of Smash?

I fall very much into the latter category. If I like a character or the series that character comes from, I'm going to try to learn them. Meaning that FE characters, Shulk, Samus, Sheik, Link, Cloud, and Richter (and Isaac if he gets in) are going to be characters that I put effort into because I like them or their franchise.

The opposite is also true. Regardless of playstyle, nothing is going to make me pick a character or series that I have a strong negative bias towards (ie: Animal Crossing, Wii Fit trainer, Ness/Lukas).

Characters from series that I'm neutral on (ie: Star Fox, F-Zero, Mario, Kid Icarus) have the potential to be my mains if they have a great playstyle. For example, Wolf was my Brawl main because I liked his playstyle that much.

Mostly the former. I do try to make characters I like outside of Smash work for me always, but at the end of the day I mainly gravitate towards what I enjoy.

Yeah, i definitely gravitate to favoritism. Shulk's not that great but i still main him out of bias. My other main is Corrin and she's got the bonus of being a character i like AND a character that is good competitively.

I also love to play characters with potential for really dumb kills. Characters like Mario, who has his Cape and F.L.U.U.D and Ganondorf with his Ganoncide (and they had the nerve to nerf it by making it possible to mash out of Ganoncide in Ultimate, what were they thinking).

Ultimate's also making me gravitate to characters based on their looks. I'll be having Richter as a secondary just because he reminds me too much of Joseph Joestar. Zelda will also be joining my secondaries because they made her really cute in Ultimate.

For the longest time the latter, but I've since come to drift to the former. On occasion though, I might try making the latter work well if I can. Sonic in particular I stopped using for the longest time but have since returned to using

Edited by Arcphoenix

I gravitate towards Random because the character select screen gives me serious decision anxiety.

I'm not really sure where I fall on the two choices. With Smash 4, Mega Man and Little Mac were the most hype newcomers for me as a fan of both, but I ended up dropping both. Meanwhile I picked up Bowser on a whim and he becomes my favorite character within a week. So that would suggest playstyle. But Smash 4's other heavyweights never felt fun to me. They were sluggish and gimmicky. Bowser was no perfect character either, but I adored his Bowser's Inside Story redesign. He had never looked that good in his old Monster/Car design. I've played rush down characters, spacing characters, projectile spamming, heavyweight grapplers, and none of them are an archetype I especially care for.

Edited by Glennstavos

A bit of both. There are a lot of characters I really like, but I tend to focus on the ones that feel right. In Smash 4, that primarily was Link, Charizard, and Robin. Some of my older faves like Pit became harder for me to play so I would often pass on them unless I'm goofing around.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Regardless of playstyle, nothing is going to make me pick a character or series that I have a strong negative bias towards (ie: Animal Crossing, Wii Fit trainer, Ness/Lukas).

Negative bias towards Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, and EarthBound? Dare I ask?

6 minutes ago, Johann said:

A bit of both. There are a lot of characters I really like, but I tend to focus on the ones that feel right. In Smash 4, that primarily was Link, Charizard, and Robin. Some of my older faves like Pit became harder for me to play so I would often pass on them unless I'm goofing around.

Negative bias towards Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, and EarthBound? Dare I ask?

Wii Fit - negative bias towards sports and sports/fitness games. Not a character that appeals.

EarthBound - Bias against the character designs aesthetically. No bias against the games themselves. 

Animal Crossing - Bias in totality against what I feel to be both unappealing character designs and boring gameplay/genre.

Edited by Etheus

Mixture, as I adore Sonic but I can’t stand how he plays in Smash, although with Ultimate that seems to be changing. Maybe I can finally be happy using him for once.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Zelda will also be joining my secondaries because they made her really cute in Ultimate.

On the subject of Zelda, is her new look from Link Between Worlds?

Anyway, as to the question, I guess it's a mix of both.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

On the subject of Zelda, is her new look from Link Between Worlds?

More like A Link to the Past but the two designs are basically the same so yeah.

A little bit of both. My mains are also my two favorite video game characters of all time, Ike and Luigi. But Ike also fits my more defensive and slower playstyle. I can't keep up with fast speedy characters, so him being slowish works. Luigi is faster, but not a speed character either.

Though I would say I lean more towards favoritism if I had to pick one.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm a favoritism player in Smash Bros., which is weird because in most other fighting games I'll avoid play styles I wouldn't enjoy playing. I guess it's because Smash is a lot easier to play than most other fighting games.

It's not my fault that all of my mains happen to be characters I like!

But it's play style for me.  I'm so very bad at this game that if a character doesn't feel natural to me, it's not going to work.

33 minutes ago, Etheus said:

In that case, I suppose that you are supremely fortunate.

I feel like Sakurai goes out of his way to make sure that characters play in a manner that feels similar (or at least appropriate) to their own game, assuming there's comparable transition. Kirby, Samus, and Yoshi come to mind in that regard.

Mostly favoritism for me. Most of the characters I like to play as; Mario, Sonic, Captain Falcon, Corrin and Pokémon Trainer, the way they work suit my playstyle though there are a few of my favorites, Lucario and Mewtwo, that deviate outside the way I play. There is also Chrom who while I hear people say he is going to be bad because of his b-up move it won't stop me from picking him as my FE main simply due to fact that he is only FE character on Smash Ultimate's roster that I actually like since I don't really care for Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina and M!Corrin and I am just neutral towards Marth and F!Corrin.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I feel like Sakurai goes out of his way to make sure that characters play in a manner that feels similar (or at least appropriate) to their own game, assuming there's comparable transition. Kirby, Samus, and Yoshi come to mind in that regard.

While this is true, there is always a large possibility that a character's accurate playstyle is not going to click with your personal playstyle. IE: Ike is a slow powerhouse, and while that is  fairly accurate (to Radiant Dawn Ike), slow characters are notoriously lower tier and less appreciated than faster ones. 

In my case, (albeit based on brief Smash 4 experience), Robin (one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters) has an accurate playstyle which just so happens to not intuitively click with me. Because I fall into the favoritism category, it is my intention to play Robin enough in Ultimate to become comfortable with that unique playstyle regardless. 

My goal is to find a balance and attempt to go out of my comfort zone if a character I like doesn't immediately click with me or if a character I'm neutral towards is fun to play.  The reality is that I tend to fall heavily towards favoritism. For example, even if Sonic or Wario perfectly matched my playstyle, I would still never touch them (sans a Shadow recolor/echo fighter for Sonic). Or even if Robin or Bayo felt super awkward to play, I'd still waste far too  many hours trying to learn them anyway.

Both? I really enjoy both Robin and Palutena's playstyles so I ended up playing them. I played Robin in Smash long before I grew to like them in FE itself, but Palutena was a favorite of mine for a while prior to her announcement as a fighter, and I was glad that I enjoyed her playstyle.

Always and forever will be favoritism.

I adored Rosalina and the Lumas in Mario Galaxy and she eventually became one of my most wanted characters during the Sm4sh days prior to her announcement. She was one of my mains in that game and still will main her again in Ultimate no matter what. The same goes for Snake and Cloud. Their inclusion in Smash has got me into Metal Gear and Final Fantasy and since then, they have become two of my favorite game series ever. Link is kind of obvious for me since I am a sucker for Zelda games and he’s been my main since the N64 days, though the same can be said for the other Zelda characters particularly Zelda herself (I like her A Link to the Past/A Link Between Worlds design), Ganondorf and Young Link.

I used to go for playstyle once but drifted away from that simply because I have no real connection to those characters.