Where to start?

Rushless

Alright, so, I’ve been planning to make an FE8 ROMhack for some time now, I have plans for all the playable units, ideas for the majority of the chapters, Bosses, some of the dialogue, etc.

But now I want to actually start working on it. So I have one question, where to start? I’ve heard of this program called FeBuilderGBA, and I was wondering if that was of any use to me. Or if FeRecolour would still be necessary as well as Event Creator. 

What programs would you recommend I’d use to get this hack up and running?

-also, how you feel about a villain being a playable class, e.g. summoner?-

• 4 weeks later...

I personally have been using FeBuilder, Seems to be the most straight-forward and user friendly, it is always being updated and is constantly improving. Also has patches that you may find useful in your hack such as Circle's Modern skill system.

Note: I attempted to use Nightmare and its modules back in 2016, got completely stumped and never really started hacking until I watched Markyjoe's Video on FeBuilder. 

If you decide to use FeBuilder, just watch Markyjoe's Video it runs down on the essentials. I picked up most of my skills by playing around with FeBuilder especially in the Event Creator.

Hope this helps! Sorry for the extremely late reply to your thread I haven't been on Serenes lately.

Kindest Regards,

Yazuki