Ertrick's Other LPs: Fire Emblem Mystery, Metal Gear Solid 1 (Big Boss run), and Ace Combat 3 (translated JP version)

Ertrick36

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THEY'LL NEVER CALL ME AS "THE SLACKER" AGAIN!

For I have posted yet another part of this train wreck.  I hope none of you were expecting it to get any better or more sensible, because neither happened.

It is time... for Metal Gear.  Watch my superb, professional Metal Gear Solid skills as I beat this game and get the title of Big Boss without breaking a sweat.  *Cut to literally five minutes into the run and me dying like a dog for forgetting to equip my death-defying rations*

WARNING TO YOUNGER VIEWERS/THOSE FEINT OF HEART: This game contains scenes of violence, animated blood and gore, and actual torture, alongside tackling heavy themes such as the threat of nuclear weapons in the modern era and the very real psychological struggles of a soldier.  I am mostly skipping a lot of cutscenes so that I can obtain the Big Boss emblem as quickly as possible, but I will speak about some of these themes and am also unable to prevent showing the violence, blood and gore, and torture.  Viewer discretion is strongly advised, more so than the other games I've played so far.

So yeah, I'm going to be playing through one of my favorite GOATs, but not just a normal playthrough.  I will play through the game four times, which is possible because the game is actually pretty short if you skip all the cutscenes and codec convos.  Why four times?  Because, quite frankly, I am not quite good enough to achieve this without the aid of a couple of cheat items, and also because I need to beat the game at least once to obtain the highest difficulty (which is the only difficulty where the Big Boss title is acquirable).  However, the game is plenty challenging enough even with such items, and it'll still remain a true test of grit and determination.  I have beaten the remake with Big Boss title acquired, but this will be a different ballgame as it lacks quite a few mechanics that the remake has.

The ultimate goal of this is, as I've said, to obtain the codename Big Boss.  A codename in this game is a title/rank you get at the very end of the game based on how you played through it.  The Big Boss requirements are as follows:

Spoiler

• Beat The Game In Extreme Mode - This is a major contributor to how many runs I must do.  Everyone who seeks to obtain the Big Boss codename must play through Extreme difficulty, and thus they have to play through the game on Hard once.  Therefore, you always have to play through the game multiple times on a fresh save to acquire the codename.  As implied, it's very, very difficult.  On Normal and lower, the enemies have really crappy vision and hearing (can't see/hear anything more than, like, 15 feet away from them), and you have the assistance of the incredibly handy Soliton Radar to detect your enemies, alongside a number of other changes.  Higher up, and the enemies spot you more easily and you can't make use of the radar, so you must spot enemies with little more than your sense of sight and hearing.  You also take more damage and can hold less ammunition.
  • Finish The Game In 3 Hours Or Less - A big contributor to me considering this as an LP.  The game can be beaten in less than three hours, so each run may only last two weeks at most with how I do things.  If you move fast, skip all scenes and conversations, and use optimal boss strats, you can beat the game with 30 minutes to spare.
  • Use No Continues - Quite simply, don't ever die.  However, saving is allowed (as detailed below), so you can reload a save as a substitute for continuing.  In other words, if you die, it's not the end of the run.  However, depending on your saving habits, you may well end up having to go far back, so this should be avoided.
  • Use One Or No Rations - This is probably the biggest joke in the entire game because there's literally no rations lying around.  The only rations you can obtain are ones from fallen guards (which, as detailed below, there won't be very many of because you essentially can't kill anyone besides bosses and a few guards), as well as a ration given to you later on in the story.  Honestly, there's not too much need for rations because, for the most part, you avoid conflict in a Big Boss run, as you only really are forced to fight bosses and within a few constricted areas.  Also because there are certain points at which you replenish all your health.
  • Kill 25 Or Less - There are close to 20 mandatory kills.  With the cheat items I plan to get, you shouldn't be required to kill any outside of that, meaning you can conserve them for the very difficult end sequence.
  • Alert activated 4 Times Or Less - This is absolutely a joke because there are 4 mandatory alert events that happen and those are all counted.  Basically, don't ever get spotted.  No big trouble with one of the cheat items, but you do still need to be wary of trip lasers in certain segments.
  • Save 80 Times Or Less - This is a number no one's really been able to pin down, actually.  That's because whatever number of saves you're allotted is quite honestly extremely generous.  You probably won't need to save more than 50 times so you don't need to worry much about this at all.

One key thing to note is that unlike Metal Gear Solid 3 and all games that came after it, you can use cheat items and still obtain Big Boss rank.  So that's precisely what I'll do - play through the game once to obtain Extreme, then play through Extreme twice to obtain the bandanna and the stealth camouflage (probably will get the latter first), and then play through one more time with the sole intention of obtaining the coveted Big Boss codename if I hadn't yet acquired it in either of those other Extreme mode playthroughs.

So we run into yet another completely unchanged character, and it just so happens to be one of the main characters in Blazing Sword...

And speaking of major characters, when did all of Bern's big names get here?  And why are all these characters still alive???

This time will be something different once again...

AC 3: Electrosphere, the only game I've played where the localization is so different from the original that it's almost not even the same game.  But the Japanese version?  It's got at least 20 more missions than the localization, actual cutscenes (done by the people who did the Ghost in the Shell animation, from what I hear), and a story that isn't just quickly scrambled together on a budget.  A game that was, at the time, so ambitious that the creators are unsure if they could even remake it.  Felt like playing it because I'd consider myself something of a fan of the series (only ever really played AC4, a bit of AC5 and AC7, and AC Assault Horizon, but still), and also because it's essentially PMC wars with futuristic planes.

Also, Rena is definitely best girl material, that blue hair is a telltale sign.  Also a sucker for girls with disabilities and defects, don't judge.

Edited by Ertrick36

It's time...

FOR YOUR LADY AND SAVIOR TRIPLE DELUXE NINIAN!

We will finally finish Ostian Princess in this part.  Yes, it seems there may be more to the hack, but in all honesty I don't think there's much more to see that is new.  Towards the end of the video, you could probably see where Mig stopped working on the hack.  So I'll finish off by writing out my thoughts on the hack and my experience.

Spoiler

First of all, it's obviously bad.  Don't let my laughing and my being engaged in this hack fool you; the hack is of very low quality.  Now...

In many respects, it's bad in kind of a good way.  Every corner you turn in this hack, you find something more ridiculous and stupid than the last thing you found.  It gets better and better until right up to the end, where the novelty finally starts to wear off.  And honestly, that's another part why I'm ending here; ten chapters is pretty much this hack's limit as far as its absurdist-entertainment value is concerned, twenty more and it'd be a horribly stale time.

However, while it is hilariously bad in some ways, the gameplay is where it truly falls flat.  Here's the thing; it's funny to see things like Seaweed Jesus trivialize literally everything in the game through his mere existence or iron lances hurting their wielders for no good reason, but these only have an initial moment of hilarity.  Beyond that?  It's a big fucking slog.  In fact, I'm strongly convinced that the enemies have all been tweaked to be absolute garbage with the exception of the absurd bosses like Zephiel and Lloyd.  Quite simply, this hack is a power trip, and it's not even a fun one.  It is quite obvious that at the time, Mig had absolutely no concept for game balance.  And that's understandable; many people who start out making games and video game mods/hacks have a really difficult time with level design and balance, and it's also one of those things where you need actual feedback.  But that doesn't change the fact that, from a gameplay standpoint, this game is more of a bore than Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright on Phoenix Mode.

Once more, this is by no means meant to point fingers at Mig, to mock him, or do any slandering of any kind.  I mean, I certainly have to wonder what kind of mind decided to give birth to this beautiful mess of a game, but I understand hacking (especially in earlier years) is tough.  I mean, the only things Mig did were modify the script a bit, add a few scenes, recolored some sprites, and change some game data, and even with that limited amount of work there were lots of issues.  I mean, by the end of the game, I had three Ninians and two Natalies, and I know that isn't just limited to me because others who've LP'd this in the past have also experienced this unit duplication glitch (sometimes it would be Enemok, sometimes it'd be Zack, it could be anyone as far as I know).  So please don't interpret this as an attack or a slander on the creator.

Overall, despite the boring slog of the gameplay, I had a good time LPing this.  However, it is time to get back to normal Fire Emblem games.  No more tomes that deal 125 effective damage against armor knights, no more teal-colored gods, no more lances with Devil Axe effects, no more ten year-old girls going on bloody revenge missions, and no more canon-destroying nonsense.

I will be returning tomorrow with Genealogy of the Holy War, if I can help it.

Sorry for putting this out so damn late, it was a bit of a hassle to get it out this time for no goddamn reason... but here it is.

More genes of the war that happens to be holy.  Finishing off Chagall, except not really?  Anyway, at least pretty woman number 6 has joined our party.  Sylvia is only 14, so she doesn't count.

Alright, so I'm gonna be occupied this week, so nothing coming out then.

But apart from that, I think I'll be back in full swing after this, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

A wise fella by the name of @Bhoop once told me that Caeda is like some kind of army seductress/dominatrix...  I don't think that's an incorrect assessment.

Don't have much more of this left.  It's, like, another 4 chapters - at least two of which are pretty much cakewalks - and then we're onto Book 2, AKA the better half of the game.

5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

A wise fella by the name of @Bhoop once told me that Caeda is like some kind of army seductress/dominatrix...  I don't think that's an incorrect assessment.

Yeet

On 5/7/2019 at 9:03 PM, Bhoop said:

Yeet

LMgYIKH.jpg

Ahem, anyway...

I hate having a freedom of choice.  It's like Devo said...

"Freedom from choice is what you want... freedom of choice is what you got."

The message is clear; what we need more of in gaming is railroading and story writers telling us what's right and what's wrong.  Isn't that right, Bethesda?  No, I'm not mad about the fact that your shitty writers who force us to kill a friendly dragon and give us simplistic moral decisions get more praise and credit from reviewers than people who actually know how to write a morally grey goddamn story.  Getting off-track, here's more Electric Boogaloo 3, featuring stupid deaths, betrayal, and sad grills.

You're getting exactly what you deserve with your shitty MMO failing, Todd "Horse Armor DLC" Chess Club McHoward.

• 3 months later...

Hey, so I was gone for a while without explanation, sorry for that.  I just got extremely busy during the summer.

Gonna start back up soon, but I think I'll do things a bit differently.  Long story short, I'm gonna cut out a lot of games in the lineup because I feel like it's too much for me to LP four-five games all at the same time and make a new channel where I can post edited content (the channel I have currently will remain, it'll just be for full, unedited videos; mostly for stuff like my MGS1 Big Boss run, 'cuz I feel like that needs to be shown in full).  Will talk in more detail at some point.

Also, I'm gonna forgo a schedule.  In the future, I'll try to do at least one video a week, but other than that it'll be up to my own whims when a new video gets released.