What do you want in Three Houses? ( Mechanics and such )

Sub Zero

Even though it likely won’t happen in 3H, I want a future FE game to adopt and expand upon New Mystery’s character creation system. Instead of being a predetermined class with a boon and bane that only affects two stats, players will get to pick from the game’s standard classses and pick out a selection of backgrounds that will modify your stats among other things. This will lead to a unique and balanced character that allows players to have a vision of what they want their character to be instead of “Magical Swordsman Dude” every playthrough. 

As for how he would fit into the story, make the MU a support unit to the main lord, and make the main lord a Chrom - a strong and well-meaning prince whom everyone looks up to, but doesn’t have quite what it takes to lead an army to victory. The main lord will constantly seek your player character for guidance, which will give the player plenty of opportunities to make choices that have major consequences. Your character’s background will also effect a number of things in the story as well. 

Edited by ElectiveToast

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ElectiveToast said:

Even though it likely won’t happen in 3H, I want a future FE game to adopt and expand upon New Mystery’s character creation system. Instead of being a predetermined class with a boon and bane that only affects two stats, players will get to pick from the game’s standard classses and pick out a selection of backgrounds that will modify your stats among other things. This will lead to a unique and balanced character that allows players to have a vision of what they want their character to be instead of “Magical Swordsman Dude” every playthrough. 

As for how he would fit into the story, make the MU a support unit to the main lord, and make the main lord a Chrom - a strong and well-meaning prince whom everyone looks up to, but doesn’t have quite what it takes to lead an army to victory. The main lord will constantly seek your player character for guidance, which will give the player plenty of opportunities to make choices that have major consequences. Your character’s background will also effect a number of things in the story as well. 

I like this, except for the comparison to Chrom. Chrom was fairly bland in my opinion. But I see your point. 

I was thinking that, in terms of how he fits in the story, why not have the MU be no more important than any unit; they're just the perspective character because they wrote the story down or something along those lines. 

Considering the game seems to be pushing three main protagonists all of which are likely blue bloods, the lies the possibility of more politics in the story makes me wonder if we could get a branching narrative system. Now I'm not saying we should have entirely different games like fates had because that would be way too much work unless they split the game up again, but I do think their could be opportunities for the main character side with or favor one of the main protagonists sprinkled throughout the game potentially changing the map you play on in the vein of Blazing Blade, how the characters act around you in cut-scenes, and maybe causing a protagonist and the swath of the army loyal to them to walk out on you. Perhaps this system would be a little complicated but it might make each player's play-through more personal and memorable.

Considering the game seems to be pushing three main protagonists all of which are likely blue bloods, the lies the possibility of more politics in the story makes me wonder if we could get a branching narrative system. Now I'm not saying we should have entirely different games like fates had because that would be way too much work unless they split the game up again, but I do think their could be opportunities for the main character side with or favor one of the main protagonists sprinkled throughout the game potentially changing the map you play on in the vein of Blazing Blade, how the characters act around you in cut-scenes, and maybe causing a protagonist and the swath of the army loyal to them to walk out on you. Perhaps this system would be a little complicated but it might make each player's play-through more personal and memorable.

That would be interesting, I like this idea. Though I agree it could make things a bit complicated, and I`m not sure about the possibility of my entire army just...leaving suddenly.

I wonder... With them bringing back durability, how are they going to balance brave weapons??

Anyhow, another want: No status staves. They either tend to be extremely niche or completely worthless... For the player anyway. This goes out the window when the enemy gets them.

Edited by Shadow Mir

-A better implemented Trinity of Magic. While I like the idea of magic users having their own Weapon Triangle, it was still more practical to use a physical attacking unit to take them out. I think the Crests Edelgard mentioned will play a part in how magic works in Three Houses' gameplay as well as its lore, making it a good opportunity to give the Trinity a second chance.

-Branching promotion paths.

-The ability to promote units by leveling them up like in the Radiant games.

I really should have mentioned this earlier, but better axe users. Fates was pretty much an all-time low for axe and club users - if your name was not Camilla or Scarlet and you used axes, you were most likely trash at best.

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I really should have mentioned this earlier, but better axe users. Fates was pretty much an all-time low for axe and club users - if your name was not Camilla or Scarlet and you used axes, you were most likely trash at best.

Well Edelgard will likely join the club since she has Axes, Swords and Magic that's ALOT of utility but that's not surprising since she's a main character but yeah I hope for stronger axe users that are not just story characters. Charlotte is also great to me despite her personal skill not brought out to its fullest if your playing just the main game only since there's not that many enemy female units to use it against. 

1 hour ago, Guest Lae said:

Well Edelgard will likely join the club since she has Axes, Swords and Magic that's ALOT of utility but that's not surprising since she's a main character but yeah I hope for stronger axe users that are not just story characters. Charlotte is also great to me despite her personal skill not brought out to its fullest if your playing just the main game only since there's not that many enemy female units to use it against. 

I'm not very optimistic - remember the last time IS did the axe-magic combo well? Because I sure as hell don't. Regarding Charlotte, her useless personal skill is the least of her worries - her coming underleveled and with **** skill is much more worrisome, as is her crap defense. Her case isn't helped by Fates being one of, if not the absolute worst game to be a Berserker in... or by axes and clubs being the worst weapon type overall in said game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I'm not very optimistic - remember the last time IS did the axe-magic combo well? Because I sure as hell don't. Regarding Charlotte, her useless personal skill is the least of her worries - her coming underleveled and with **** skill is much more worrisome, as is her crap defense. Her case isn't helped by Fates being one of, if not the absolute worst game to be a Berserker in... or by axes and clubs being the worst weapon type overall in said game.

Unless Str and Mag stat is tied like Echoes then I see no problem especially for a Lord character but She'll most likely need the Strength over Magic anyway Magic is likely for low res units like Armor Knights at range otherwise hammers or armorslayers at close range(Camilla never needs magic to be top tier lol). About Oni Chieftains they just were not a good class due to low bases and magic not being very great in Fates unless wielded by a magic prone Ophelia and Maybe Nyx

5 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Unless Str and Mag stat is tied like Echoes then I see no problem especially for a Lord character but She'll most likely need the Strength over Magic anyway Magic is likely for low res units like Armor Knights at range otherwise hammers or armorslayers at close range(Camilla never needs magic to be top tier lol). About Oni Chieftains they just were not a good class due to low bases and magic not being very great in Fates unless wielded by a magic prone Ophelia and Maybe Nyx

The problem is, magic and weapons are both used for the same thing - attacking enemy units. Second, axes are the strongest weapon type, while tomes aren't as strong. Using Fates as an example, a Silver Axe has 16 might while Ragnarok only has 11. That's a 5 point difference there. Indeed, Oni Chieftains weren't a good class, especially knowing the one natural Oni was a problem child stats wise (she has low-ish strength for an axe user, which isn't helped by clubs having rather low might). Malig Knight fell into the same trap Oni Chieftains fell into with regards to awkward stat distribution, as well as everyone who could become one being blatantly slanted towards being physical. Also, Nyx isn't very good - her stats everywhere but magic and speed are rather poor.

Edited by Shadow Mir

my biggest want is the return of the fe3 manakete mechanics where they transform on the map for a set number of turns rather than before every battle starts, it makes the dragons more imposing and makes them stand out more, it would also be interesting to give them other options when untransformed like immunity to wyrm slayers and the ability to use different weapons, or better yet just straight up use the basic mechanics from the laguz in radiant dawn where no stones are needed but it is based on a gauge.

Felt like its been ages since I was here.....not surprising still no info atm=lack of initiative to post or talk about anything.....

Anyway I hope they add multiple save files like extra data that uses some of the system memory or SD card like VC4 save files a game like FE that has different combination of pairs you can do needs this.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I just remembered something I would like to see from the DS games, the ability to save during battle on Classic Mode. I never understood why the 3DS entries only let you create restore points on Classic Mode, while you could save your progress in the Ds ones. Of course, if there is no Casual Mode in Three Houses, then this point is kind of moote.

• 3 weeks later...

General

1.  Three or four difficulty settings with Classic or Casual Mode available.  I don't care if Phoenix Mode returns or not, I don't think it's very necessary. 

2.  A post-game with more to explore or even just New Game+ with some kind of bonus content that isn't just DLC.  I'm interested in how My Castle will be implemented (if it will), and how actually walking around outside of maps and exploring things will work.

3.  ONE GAME.  ONE GOOD GAME.  I don't want any of that split path nonsense.  My wallet and my heart can't handle it.  I'd be willing to shell out up to $80 on this as long as it is one good, complete game, in which I can recruit all the characters.  I don't mind if 

4.  I'm a little iffy on the art direction right now.  The trailer looked pretty but all the three mains look a little off to me, and the color palette doesn't sit right with me.  I hope that it's better once we see more.

5.  Full voice-acting? 

Supports and Characters

1.  I want supports to be strictly quality > quantity.  The characters should have interesting, meaningful, or at least funny things to talk about, and unique dynamics between one another.  In Fates, there were a lot of supports but I barely bothered unlocking any of them.  A fair amount of gems, but they don't really hold a candle to previous installments, and most of the characters' relationships were either siblings, lord/retainer, or why-are-these-two-even-talking-to-begin-with, and it got old really fast for me.

2.  I want the marriage mechanic to return.  Ideally, S-supports should be romantic in nature, or at the very least imply a romantic relationship between the characters in the future, and lead to paired endings (granted both characters survive).  I don't want them all to end in "let's get married right here, right now, this instant."  Maybe there could be some kind of SS-support or DLC with that sort of thing that's presumed to be sometime in the future?  Just seeing more interaction between characters who are in romantic relationships would be nice.

3.  No child units, or if they do exist, make them post-game and don't give me some weird time traveling Pocket Dimension asspull for them.  Maybe an apprentice/trainee system, or even adoption.  Also, if they do exist, maybe some characters have twins, some have none at all, etc.  I do know that if the Avatar has kids, I want to be able to choose my child's gender. No funny business where if I want my Avatar to marry a character, I lock myself out of getting all the children.

4.  I want interesting characters who aren't overly tropey.  I liked Awakening's cast, but I felt like they leaned too heavily on their quirks sometimes, and most of Fates' cast were like cardboard to me.  

5.  At least two "bi options" of each gender for the avatar, maybe more depending on the cast size.  Maybe some gay characters who can marry each other rather than only the avatar, even if it's second gen.

Gameplay

1.  Third-tier classes?  Discounting?

2.  I'm not too crazy about CON, and I don't know that I want to see it return.

3.  I want varied map objectives, and I want the maps to be fun and challenging in unique and creative ways.  I don't like gimmicky stuff--I wasn't crazy about "Dragon's Vein" or whatever, and I don't like maps full of ice or walls to break.

4.  It would be nice if it was clearer how to recruit all the units I can recruit.  I'm dumb so I usually need a guide or end up missing one or two.

5.  I have kind of mixed feelings about the units having their own little group of soldiers as shown in the trailer, and I don't really know what I hope to see out of it--but I need to see more of how it world for it to win me over.

Plot

1.  I don't really care if it's "morally gray" or whatever, but I want it to at the very least be coherent and entertaining.  If it's going to be a straightforward "kill the evil dragon god" story, I'm fine with that, as long as it doesn't pretend to be any more than that and doesn't need to infodump on me about plot points that never amount to much.  I want the dialogue throughout to be enough to keep my interest.

2.  If Byleth really is the avatar, I want him/her to serve more of a Robin role than a Corrin one, and not take over the story at the end.  I like the idea of a customizable avatar, but I realize this weakens their ability to stand on their own as a character (here's hoping Byleth is like the strong, silent type, maybe an edgier, less social Robin lol), so I don't think an avatar character would have the narrative convictions to really carry the plot on their own or to have the necessary deep personal connections to it.

3.  I don't want second gen bto be a major plot point.

4.  Ideally, no plot points will boil down to "because Outrealms--"things like Pocket Dimensions and all of that existing are fine, but I think they detract from the story and can be kind of a copout.

5. No shock value, unnecessary character deaths coming out of nowhere.

6 hours ago, E. Wendall said:

General

1.  Three or four difficulty settings with Classic or Casual Mode available.  I don't care if Phoenix Mode returns or not, I don't think it's very necessary. 

2.  A post-game with more to explore or even just New Game+ with some kind of bonus content that isn't just DLC.  I'm interested in how My Castle will be implemented (if it will), and how actually walking around outside of maps and exploring things will work.

3.  ONE GAME.  ONE GOOD GAME.  I don't want any of that split path nonsense.  My wallet and my heart can't handle it.  I'd be willing to shell out up to $80 on this as long as it is one good, complete game, in which I can recruit all the characters.  I don't mind if 

4.  I'm a little iffy on the art direction right now.  The trailer looked pretty but all the three mains look a little off to me, and the color palette doesn't sit right with me.  I hope that it's better once we see more.

5.  Full voice-acting? 

Supports and Characters

1.  I want supports to be strictly quality > quantity.  The characters should have interesting, meaningful, or at least funny things to talk about, and unique dynamics between one another.  In Fates, there were a lot of supports but I barely bothered unlocking any of them.  A fair amount of gems, but they don't really hold a candle to previous installments, and most of the characters' relationships were either siblings, lord/retainer, or why-are-these-two-even-talking-to-begin-with, and it got old really fast for me.

2.  I want the marriage mechanic to return.  Ideally, S-supports should be romantic in nature, or at the very least imply a romantic relationship between the characters in the future, and lead to paired endings (granted both characters survive).  I don't want them all to end in "let's get married right here, right now, this instant."  Maybe there could be some kind of SS-support or DLC with that sort of thing that's presumed to be sometime in the future?  Just seeing more interaction between characters who are in romantic relationships would be nice.

3.  No child units, or if they do exist, make them post-game and don't give me some weird time traveling Pocket Dimension asspull for them.  Maybe an apprentice/trainee system, or even adoption.  Also, if they do exist, maybe some characters have twins, some have none at all, etc.  I do know that if the Avatar has kids, I want to be able to choose my child's gender. No funny business where if I want my Avatar to marry a character, I lock myself out of getting all the children.

4.  I want interesting characters who aren't overly tropey.  I liked Awakening's cast, but I felt like they leaned too heavily on their quirks sometimes, and most of Fates' cast were like cardboard to me.  

5.  At least two "bi options" of each gender for the avatar, maybe more depending on the cast size.  Maybe some gay characters who can marry each other rather than only the avatar, even if it's second gen.

Gameplay

1.  Third-tier classes?  Discounting?

2.  I'm not too crazy about CON, and I don't know that I want to see it return.

3.  I want varied map objectives, and I want the maps to be fun and challenging in unique and creative ways.  I don't like gimmicky stuff--I wasn't crazy about "Dragon's Vein" or whatever, and I don't like maps full of ice or walls to break.

4.  It would be nice if it was clearer how to recruit all the units I can recruit.  I'm dumb so I usually need a guide or end up missing one or two.

5.  I have kind of mixed feelings about the units having their own little group of soldiers as shown in the trailer, and I don't really know what I hope to see out of it--but I need to see more of how it world for it to win me over.

Plot

1.  I don't really care if it's "morally gray" or whatever, but I want it to at the very least be coherent and entertaining.  If it's going to be a straightforward "kill the evil dragon god" story, I'm fine with that, as long as it doesn't pretend to be any more than that and doesn't need to infodump on me about plot points that never amount to much.  I want the dialogue throughout to be enough to keep my interest.

2.  If Byleth really is the avatar, I want him/her to serve more of a Robin role than a Corrin one, and not take over the story at the end.  I like the idea of a customizable avatar, but I realize this weakens their ability to stand on their own as a character (here's hoping Byleth is like the strong, silent type, maybe an edgier, less social Robin lol), so I don't think an avatar character would have the narrative convictions to really carry the plot on their own or to have the necessary deep personal connections to it.

3.  I don't want second gen bto be a major plot point.

4.  Ideally, no plot points will boil down to "because Outrealms--"things like Pocket Dimensions and all of that existing are fine, but I think they detract from the story and can be kind of a copout.

5. No shock value, unnecessary character deaths coming out of nowhere.

Outside of gameplay everything else you listed is more a personal want for you not "mechanics"....