What do you want in Three Houses? ( Mechanics and such )

Sub Zero

Guest Seleucos of Valm

I want good formations such as:

-a pike phalanx,

- a charge formation for cavalry units ( with heavy cavalry charges being stronger than light ones)

- a skirmish formation for archers and horse archers ( I know it would be hard to balance nonetheless I think it could be an interesting and more realistic way to deal with archers’s inability to counter attack without changing to a secondary weapon.Thought it’d be still more balanced than in SOV where archers were op.)

I’d enjoy a blacksmith option to repair weapons.

The last thing I wish to be included in this game will not be in this game, but hey a man can always dream.

It’s a war elephant unit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Guest Seleucos of Valm said:

I want good formations such as:

-a pike phalanx,

- a charge formation for cavalry units ( with heavy cavalry charges being stronger than light ones)

- a skirmish formation for archers and horse archers ( I know it would be hard to balance nonetheless I think it could be an interesting and more realistic way to deal with archers’ inability to counter attack without changing to a secondary weapon. Thought it’d be still more balanced than in SOV where archers were op.)

I’d enjoy a blacksmith option to repair weapons.

The last thing I wish to be included in this game will not be in this game, but hey a man can always dream.

It’s a war elephant unit.

I like the idea of good formations. Please forgive me if I'm about to sound a bit pedantic, but this is just the history nut in me:

1. It wouldn't really be a phalanx, since pikes are two-handed spears and a phalanx is a particular type of shieldwall. May I suggest a different name, such as a schiltron or a pike block. I do like the idea, though. Offensively, it could be effective anti-cavalry to match up with history. Defensively, it could repel attack and be vulnerable only to arrows and flanking. 
  2. This would probably be a cavalry version of that wedge-shaped swordsman charge in the trailer. It would be really cool to see a wedge of shock cavalry charge a line of infantry in an FE game. 
  3. Are you suggesting something along the lines of a hit-and-run formation? I'm not sure I completely understand this one. 

Repairing weapons would be a great idea if weapon durability returns. Is it back?

War Elephant units... yeah; those would be cool to see, though I'm not sure if FE's gameplay would really be able to capture what fighting a charging war elephant would really be like. 

Going back to formations, here's two of my own that could be interesting to see:

1. Landsknecht: A hero formation. They get in a line with big swords and charge while swinging their swords in a figure-8 to break a pike block. 
  2. Shieldwall: a defensive formation done by either knights or soldiers. They stand in a line with their shields and weapons. This is immune to any arrow attacks from the front. 

Guest Seleucos of Valm

Hi

Your shield wall formation is a really good idea.

Yep weapon durability seems to be back(trailer).

When I think about the way to implement a skirmish formation in fe, it would activate after attacking an enemy unit and then allow your unit to move back.

For instance you attack with a bow knight with 8 movement points after attacking it would be able to move from 8 squares.

However it won’t be able to attack a second time after activating the formation it’s certainly not gale force.

To my mind it would be the easiest way to implement it on turn based game.

Can you explain again how lanskenetch work? Because the only melee infantry unit who would be able to break a pike wall from the front would be a roman legion one and unfortunately I don’t think it would fit the medieval settings of fe.

I agree with you in how the pike phalanx should work offensively and defensively.

Also pike phalanx exist it’s not only hoplite phalanx(Wikipedia).

However due to the medieval settings of fe pike block or pike wall would be more appropriate.

It was a pleasure speaking with you about formations.

59 minutes ago, Guest Seleucos of Valm said:

Can you explain again how lanskenetch work? Because the only melee infantry unit who would be able to break a pike wall from the front would be a roman legion one and unfortunately I don’t think it would fit the medieval settings of FE.

Not true, actually. Roman Legions couldn't break a (properly implemented) Macedonian Sarissa (two-handed spear) wall from the front; they had to outflank it. Large shields are next to useless against an offensive wall of pikes; especially when you consider that the first 3-5 rows would have their pikes forward, and the sheer length meant that there were 3-5 pikes between you and your opponent. 

Landsknecht comes from the type of 16th Century German Mercenary; many of whom used greatswords: two-handed swords the length of the person using it. These greatswords were best for bodyguards, defending chokepoints when outnumbered, and in an anti-pike tactic: they swung these swords in a figure-8; pushing aside the pikes as they charged and closed in. Incredibly dangerous (in fact those who did this were paid double because they were expected to live half as long), but effective. 

Also pike phalanx exist it’s not only hoplite phalanx(Wikipedia).

Ah yes; the Macedonian Phalanx. It still used shields; they were just smaller shields slung over the shoulder, rather than large shields held in the arm. 

That's one reason why I suggested schiltron (a Scottish long spear formation that was essentially a prototype pike block) or pike block. 

Edited by vanguard333

1 hour ago, E. Wendall said:

Thread said "mechanics and such."

Your using it to go on tangent when others are not and are talking about mechanics there's already a topic for you on that for your other stuff.....

-Accessories that gives stat boosts not just only in the player base.

-Equipable shields, bands, rings

-Character affinities(since that's back in the spotlight from Heroes with the blessings) nothing gamebreaking like super avoid or anything just balance also Avatars affinity is customizable and based on set birthday I guess other characters birthdays should also factor what they get.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

5 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Your using it to go on tangent when others are not and are talking about mechanics there's already a topic for you on that for your other stuff.....

I think that my one post was much less disruptive to the thread than whatever this conversation is. 

Edited by E. Wendall

• A good merge of Fates' gameplay and SoV's storytelling, because even I admit that playing SoV is like watching paint dry and that Fates was really fun.
  • A good OST, I like music.
  • More customization options, like the three builds that Awakening had.
  • A darker story, not like Jugdral levels of dark (Although I would love to see those games remade), but still pretty dark.
  • And finally, Berkut-tier voice acting.

Guest This Guy

I already said best Mechanic Capture AKA 'Big Boss mechanic'.

Now for Unit thoughts.

A Classic Hoplite Unit or something like the Axemen of Epirus (Agrianian Axemen, who actually weren't Greek.).

Or the Dacian Falxmen (Falxs have been horribly underused in video games in general.)

The Aztecs and Mayans with their Obsidian Class Sword Paddles that look rad as heck.

War Elephants of course. "ELEPHANTS!!!" -Angus the Mauler

Viking/Saxon Huskarls

Camel Cataphracts

Numidian Calvary

Persian Immortals

Thorax Swordsmen or Spearmen

And many others I could just rip from the Total War franchise.

But you know What I'd REALLY like to see? Non-Human units who don't transform, who have classes like the humans do.
Like Orcs, Goblins, Elves, Dwarves, etc.

We got friggin Dragonfolk, Werewolves, Wererabbits (How is there no Taguel that look like Wallace?), etc but no Humanoids who fight with weapons and armor like the boring humans?

16 hours ago, Guest This Guy said:

But you know What I'd REALLY like to see? Non-Human units who don't transform, who have classes like the humans do.

We got friggin Dragonfolk, Werewolves, Wererabbits (How is there no Taguel that look like Wallace?), etc but no Humanoids who fight with weapons and armor like the boring humans?

personally, I am one to praise fire emblem for not ripping off tolkien for a change, not to mention, fire emblem can barely integrate manaketes and the flavor of the month laguz callback into their worlds (the laguz were the best example of good integration and even they had holes, like poorly or never explained traditions), let alone make me care about the struggles of a generic tolkien race who are already hard to differentiate from humans anyways with only character portraits.

37 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

personally, I am one to praise fire emblem for not ripping off tolkien for a change, not to mention, fire emblem can barely integrate manaketes and the flavor of the month laguz callback into their worlds (the laguz were the best example of good integration and even they had holes, like poorly or never explained traditions), let alone make me care about the struggles of a generic tolkien race who are already hard to differentiate from humans anyways with only character portraits.

This. Can fantasy games in general please stop ripping off Tolkien? Fire Emblem does not need elves, dwarves, or Orcs, and honestly it would be worse with them. The fictional continents with human kingdoms at war and ancient races of dragons that took on human form to survive (or humanoids that learned how to take on animal form until it became a part of them in the case of the laguz) feels... unique. Elves, dwarves and orcs would ruin that unique feeling. 

17 hours ago, Guest This Guy said:

We got friggin Dragonfolk, Werewolves, Wererabbits (How is there no Taguel that look like Wallace?), etc. but no Humanoids who fight with weapons and armor like the boring humans?

Humans are not boring; not in Fire Emblem. In Fire Emblem, they have distinct cultures, histories, political landscapes, militaries, etc. They aren't the terrible generic fantasy humans. Honestly, Fire Emblem and Dragon Age are two of the rather few game series' that know how to get fantasy humans right. Let's not ruin that. 

Plus, non-humans that fight with human weapons already exist in Fire Emblem: their names are Xane and Gotoh. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:11 PM, Serea-chan said:

There's a reason you only get one singer/dancer ya know...? What stops two or more singers/dancers from infinitely dancing/singing for each other? If each lord gets one dancer per route if they go the multiple rotues way, that'd be fine.

This was my quote so I'm not sure why someone else was quoted. 

Regardless, I'll explain on the performer's ring idea more.

• Not everyone can use it. Only characters will experience or interest in the arts can use. For example, a myrmidon wants a future in show business, but their father wanted them to learn the sword. Once they use the performer's ring, they become a dancer. Or a soldier with a background at singing at their local town's festival becomes a singer after using it.
  • You only get one per playthrough, so the issue of 2 or more refreshers at a time won't be an issue.
  • Even if there was more than one, they could just set it up like Heroes where they can't refresh other refreshers.
  • The battle system of Three Houses looks like each unit represents a group of soldiers, so you could be forced to select a certain refresher and the other one will just be a part of their group.

Does this clear this idea up?

Guest This Guy
4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

This. Can fantasy games in general please stop ripping off Tolkien? Fire Emblem does not need elves, dwarves, or Orcs, and honestly it would be worse with them. The fictional continents with human kingdoms at war and ancient races of dragons that took on human form to survive (or humanoids that learned how to take on animal form until it became a part of them in the case of the laguz) feels... unique. Elves, dwarves and orcs would ruin that unique feeling. 

Humans are not boring; not in Fire Emblem. In Fire Emblem, they have distinct cultures, histories, political landscapes, militaries, etc. They aren't the terrible generic fantasy humans. Honestly, Fire Emblem and Dragon Age are two of the rather few game series' that know how to get fantasy humans right. Let's not ruin that. 

Plus, non-humans that fight with human weapons already exist in Fire Emblem: their names are Xane and Gotoh. 

Humans are always boring, if given a choice I never play one.

To me one of the best things about Fates was you technically weren't one.

Fair enough about Tolkien though, but do SOMETHING else, I like the shifters but I'd also like something else, Like for the game Stellaris although I don't own It, while watching let's plays for It I formulated an entire species in my head I'll make when get the game (They are Psionic Mushroom People.), If you get the right inspiration you can come up with something different. Why not a Arachnid Race of Merchants who specialize in Spears? Or a Race of Subterranean People (Maybe like the Pale Ones from Dominions) who specialize in Axes? Like you can do it without relying on the Tolkien Races.

But If your gonna do fantasy anyway, but as well go the whole 10 yards.

6 hours ago, Guest This Guy said:

Humans are always boring, if given a choice I never play one.

That is entirely subjective and your personal preference. To me and to many that I know, humans are only boring in Fantasy when they're generic, which, sadly, happens a lot. When they have interesting and distinct cultures and such, then they're not boring. Such is the case in the games that I mentioned. 

The 'multiple dancer' issue's pretty simple to fix, just add a 'Quick' flag that's cleared at the start of the next Phase for each unit. Being refreshed or benefiting from Galeforce sets the flag for that unit, meaning they're unable to benefit from such effects again for the remainder of that Phase (so no Dancing back and forth, they can refresh each other once for that Phase; still enables some interesting combinations but they're not going to be Baton Passing each other all the way across the map).

Also, the game should have an additional flag bit available for when someone ends their turn without taking an attack/staff Action (i.e. they selected Wait, Rally, Dance, etc.); refreshing that unit would still work, but the refresher wouldn't be awarded any Exp. (this prevents shit like grinding Azura to level 40 in Fates!Chapter 5).

Enemies should have refresher units just like the player, as well, with the above changes in mind.

The Shelter/Dance combo from Fates is pretty clearly an oversight, just do a targeted patch for that one so that being targeted with Shelter automatically grays out the Dance command for the remainder of that Phase.

I may be being old fashioned but I really like the idea of having just one dancer/refresher per army. I want it to be a treat to be able to use a dancer successfully sort of a "Here have a valuable unit that can do a really valuable thing, but use it wisely!" Because dancers/refreshers are built pretty frail using them takes the right amount of finesse to pull off. The potential to get one singular extra move is special having another unit that can do that and be field deployed, in my humble opinion takes away the magic of dancers. And please, give exp to dancers for dancing, that's their primary function on the battlefield. 

The problem for me is there's generally no narrative justification for having only one.  

Fates did the best job of it by a mile, due to explicitly calling it out as a magical effect fueled by a dragonstone and a blood pact with the Vallite royal family, so Azura really is 'it' as far as Dancing goes (she doesn't allow Shigure to do it due to the risks/pain it causes), but like...

FE12 (and I'm assuming, by extension, FE3).  Feena literally says she's just from 'a troupe'.  Um, maybe we should go find the rest of these time-distorting foot wizards before heading off to Khadein?  And no-one else seems to have these tactical juggernauts available for deployment?  Why doesn't Hardin have a harem of them dressed up like Nina just giving him a bunch of 'extra turns' all day?  The only reason's 'unit balance', and that doesn't sit well with me.

Spoiler

Also, a Dancer would get Exp. for refreshing a target that actually attacked/used a staff that turn; they just wouldn't if their target had Waited/Danced/Rallied (to avoid the aforementioned grind-to-max-in-one-chapter scenario).

5 hours ago, EdeaCreamer said:

The problem for me is there's generally no narrative justification for having only one.  

Fates did the best job of it by a mile, due to explicitly calling it out as a magical effect fueled by a dragonstone and a blood pact with the Vallite royal family, so Azura really is 'it' as far as Dancing goes (she doesn't allow Shigure to do it due to the risks/pain it causes), but like...

FE12 (and I'm assuming, by extension, FE3).  Feena literally says she's just from 'a troupe'.  Um, maybe we should go find the rest of these time-distorting foot wizards before heading off to Khadein?  And no-one else seems to have these tactical juggernauts available for deployment?  Why doesn't Hardin have a harem of them dressed up like Nina just giving him a bunch of 'extra turns' all day?  The only reason's 'unit balance', and that doesn't sit well with me.

I was under the impression that most dancers had a excuse for it to be special, but not really.

There's only a reason for Ninian and Nils (the first to ones to have it too), the Herons and Azura. 

Still, i would prefer to keep the one dancer deployed at a time thing, just make it so there's more of them.

I really want there to be no crappy S rank supports. In Fates/Awakening two characters could have a support where they just dick around or argue but then they fall in love like nothing happened so I want there to be S ranks that make sense. Maybe only certain characters can get it with each other or S rank isn't just for lovers and makes two characters develop in a certain way.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:50 AM, Guest This Guy said:

No. Just no. Simply put, I don't see FE gaining anything from it.

12 hours ago, Luis Liberato said:

I really want there to be no crappy S rank supports. In Fates/Awakening two characters could have a support where they just dick around or argue but then they fall in love like nothing happened so I want there to be S ranks that make sense. Maybe only certain characters can get it with each other or S rank isn't just for lovers and makes two characters develop in a certain way.

I agree with this. I think characters that can getting endings together should get S ranks. That way you can make it so no character can get multiple endings but also you don't have to stupidly limit supports to 5 like in the GBA/Tellius era. Or just do supports like in SoV (and just make the supports longer).

For me, more features I want:

-If Byleth is an avatar, more customisation. Let me actually make myself

-Equipable accessories ala rings and shields from SoV (that don't take your weapon slot however)

-Shove and Canto from Tellius

-SoV magic system and maybe archers it depends on the maps of the games

-More diverse mission objectives

-Villagers from SoV

-Mystery Manaketes/transforming units

-Less hyrbrid units. I know Edelgard has swords, axes and magic which is okay I guess, but I don't want too much of this. Most of they time they are useless.

-Limited reclass options like Fates but you reclass in a menu like the DS FEs (Though I would prefer none at all tbh)