1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

And at the end of the day, character design hardly matters in the face of good writing.

For a game with a narrative, yes, absolutely yes. But for Smash Bros. no, not at all. Having a good design is way more important for getting into Smash than being a literary master piece because Smash doesn't have a story. What can be conveyed about the character from their appearance is way more important. That being said, I think moveset is a way more important factor than design too, which is why I'd be more interested in Rex than Elma, as I feel his light and fire powers trump anything Elma can do with a pair of guns. Of course to Nintendo all of the above points are irrelevant compared to money, money, money. And Rex made more money than Elma and can continue to make more money as his game is still extant.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this discussion hasn't died down, I'm making a dedicated Rex vs Elma thread. That way if things get too toxic we can at least shut it down without ending all discussion on DLC.

20 hours ago, Johann said:

If you actually have no issues with me preferring Elma over Rex, then you can just say you disagree, maybe try to change my mind, but ultimately move on. Instead, you call me a pretentious, tactless asshole, which is one of the most ironic things I've seen in a while. You've got a real problem with taking offense when none is given and I'm going to start reporting you if you're going to keep antagonizing me in every fucking Smash thread.

I had no real issues; I just started out voicing my own frustration on a very tired and one-sided conflict.

My initial response was directed at Florete and the skin color card being played and pretty much just a textual faceplam-- and for what it's worth, Elma

isn't even human but a scantily clad purple alien with basically her entire butt bare to the world.

I just see little point in trying to use skin color as argument for choosing a character in Smash and sincerely doubt it's really going to get you anywhere with anybody.
You're the one who went:

On 11/7/2018 at 2:09 PM, Johann said:

What's wrong with that? Applies to the thread, especially when it would seem that any new Xenoblade rep pretty much comes down to a woman of color with a unique yet inspired design, or a generic ass RPG hero baby boy who dresses like shit. 

and started acting all pissy about things. So I called you out on getting so vitriolic and worked up over this, only for you to then you turn it around and go "no u"-- which isn't much of an argument (I'm glad you at least started to outline your reasoning, though). You're the one who took offense over a couple sentences mildly venting frustration and decided to go whole hog insult mode.

Rex supporters aren't really going around complaining about Elma's design or bitching about her as a character unprovoked-- so why don't the Elma supporters return the favor? We can support who we want to support without throwing a fit over the characters other people are supporting. Personally, this feels like an exercise in railing against the inevitable, because if Xenoblade does get another character it's pretty much Rex beyond a shadow of a doubt regardless of complaints; either way, fan support and arguments mean jack at this point because the DLC has already been chosen and based on Nintendo's ow input.

...Anyways, so as to still contribute to the topic, I'm going to update my 5 (actually 5 this time instead of 7 "potentially"s) predictions:

>Sora (has been pretty much stated by Spawn Wave, is pretty much the second biggest protagonist choice left for SE now that Cloud's in)
>Steve (irregardless of Vergeben predicting Minecraft content, it's the second biggest game in existence behind only Tetris-- I'd be calling it regardless)
>A Granblue or Dragalia Lost character (definitely influenced by Hitagi a bit here, but it would make sense considering business partnerships and also drive interest)
>Byleth (they're the "protagonist" VS the other 3's "main characters"-- even with Fates pushing Azura early on it was Corrin chosen for Smash, and I'm expecting Byleth to have some sort of darkness/demon based powers)
>A Gen VIII Pokemon (for reasons I've already given)

@The DanMan This is the last time I'm going to tell you to leave me alone. You keep doing this and I've had quite enough. I've reported you and will continue to do so anytime you harass me like this. This isn't even about Elma/Rex because this has happened in multiple threads. I don't understand why you interpret my posts as "pissy", "vitriolic", or even "worked up", perhaps you're misunderstanding my tone but you're way out of line with your responses. The only thing I find "offensive" is your insistence on writing up unnecessary, antagonizing posts that keep hitting my notifications and derailing these threads.

We are far beyond the point where I need to explain myself to you. There is no value in discussing anything with you due to how ridiculous and childish your behavior is.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I had no real issues; I just started out voicing my own frustration on a very tired and one-sided conflict.

My initial response was directed at Florete and the skin color card being played and pretty much just a textual faceplam-- and for what it's worth, Elma

Reveal hidden contents

isn't even human but a scantily clad purple alien with basically her entire butt bare to the world.

I just see little point in trying to use skin color as argument for choosing a character in Smash and sincerely doubt it's really going to get you anywhere with anybody.
You're the one who went:

and started acting all pissy about things. So I called you out on getting so vitriolic and worked up over this, only for you to then you turn it around and go "no u"-- which isn't much of an argument (I'm glad you at least started to outline your reasoning, though). You're the one who took offense over a couple sentences mildly venting frustration and decided to go whole hog insult mode.

Rex supporters aren't really going around complaining about Elma's design or bitching about her as a character unprovoked-- so why don't the Elma supporters return the favor? We can support who we want to support without throwing a fit over the characters other people are supporting. Personally, this feels like an exercise in railing against the inevitable, because if Xenoblade does get another character it's pretty much Rex beyond a shadow of a doubt regardless of complaints; either way, fan support and arguments mean jack at this point because the DLC has already been chosen and based on Nintendo's ow input.

...Anyways, so as to still contribute to the topic, I'm going to update my 5 (actually 5 this time instead of 7 "potentially"s) predictions:

>Sora (has been pretty much stated by Spawn Wave, is pretty much the second biggest protagonist choice left for SE now that Cloud's in)
>Steve (irregardless of Vergeben predicting Minecraft content, it's the second biggest game in existence behind only Tetris-- I'd be calling it regardless)
>A Granblue or Dragalia Lost character (definitely influenced by Hitagi a bit here, but it would make sense considering business partnerships and also drive interest)
>Byleth (they're the "protagonist" VS the other 3's "main characters"-- even with Fates pushing Azura early on it was Corrin chosen for Smash, and I'm expecting Byleth to have some sort of darkness/demon based powers)
>A Gen VIII Pokemon (for reasons I've already given)

52 minutes ago, Johann said:

@The DanMan This is the last time I'm going to tell you to leave me alone. You keep doing this and I've had quite enough. I've reported you and will continue to do so anytime you harass me like this. This isn't even about Elma/Rex because this has happened in multiple threads. I don't understand why you interpret my posts as "pissy", "vitriolic", or even "worked up", perhaps you're misunderstanding my tone but you're way out of line with your responses. The only thing I find "offensive" is your insistence on writing up unnecessary, antagonizing posts that keep hitting my notifications and derailing these threads.

We are far beyond the point where I need to explain myself to you. There is no value in discussing anything with you due to how ridiculous and childish your behavior is.

Made a separate topic for it guys. If either of you have anything else to say on the matter, then say it there.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Made a separate topic for it guys. If either of you have anything else to say on the matter, then say it there.

Thank you, though I'm not nearly as invested as much in the discussion of Elma/Rex as some seem to think I am. I have a clear preference between them that I've explained in more words than I feel were even necessary.

The only DLC character I feel any gut confidence about appearing is Leon from Resident Evil, but I'm mindful that there are plenty of things hindering such a choice. Frankly, every notable prediction seems like there's a major case for and against it, putting the odds for anyone all over the place.

I really, really hope that we don't get more than...say, two 3rd party characters (unless it's a Tokyo Mirage Sessions rep but that won't happen), so ideally, I'd like to see Phoenix Wright and Sora.

As for my predictions...they're mainly based off of what Vergeben has said (I wish he'd stop ffs) due to him being right pretty much all the time, whoop-de-doo.

-A Square Enix rep, probably a Dragon Quest character (the series got pushed quite a bit by Nintendo last year and the year before iirc). I can't see Geno getting in - he's a one off side character from a game from like, 20 years ago. He's only popular within the core Smash fanbase, as far as I can tell. Either way, if it's not Sora, I'm not interested.

- Banjo and Kazooie. I honestly think that they'll be in, but with a Minecraft stage (maybe a Banjo and Kazooie stage in Minecraft style?). Either way, Microsoft will definitely get a rep, and that makes me sad because I can't stand Microsoft...

- I can honestly see Rayman getting in, which is unfortunate because I've never liked him, hahah. Nintendo has been close to Ubisoft for quite some time now, so...y'know.

- Nintendo rep.

- Nintendo rep.

The last two Nintendo reps could be anyone. I preferably want Bandana Dee, but I'm slowly losing hope because Nintendo can be completely unpredictable when they want to be. I doubt we'll get a new FE rep. Three Houses isn't out until Spring 2019, so unless they reveal Edelgard last, it'd be way too early to promote her. Same in regards for a gen 8 Pokemon.

I honestly think that if we got a new Xenoblade rep, it'll be Elma. Rex only has a chance if they release a second wave of DLC - why on earth would you develop a Mii costume based on a character that you're planning for DLC, and release it as a bonus for said DLC?

I could see Shantae getting in, WayForward has been very vocal during both DLC campaigns now, so Nintendo might throw them a bone.

Either way, I'm very pessimistic in regards to DLC. It can go brilliantly, or it will go horribly wrong. So Nintendo should put in Bandana Dee just so that I can feel catered to, hahah.

My personal DLC wishlist: 1) Bandana Dee 2) Sora 3) FE rep like Edelgard, or even Byleth or Kiran in a sort of Pokemon Trainer style, hahah. 4) Touma Akagi 5) Sidon.

12 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Hmmm thats a tough one.  I already see the Belmonts and Ken in.  The others I would have bet for would have been Krystal, Isaac, and Pyra/Rex and they all got de-confirmed as assist trophies

Neither Rex nor Pyra are assist trophies.

I feel like the cross-promotion potential is too great for them not to use it, so I'm expecting both someone from Three Houses and a new Pokémon from the next generation since those will be Nintendo's major games of 2019. The third might be someone from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 if nothing else due to the success of the game. That leaves two unknowns in my predictions, and after Piranha Plant anything goes I feel. 

I've always wanted to see Banjo & Kazooie ever since the first installment in the series, and even though that may not be possible now, I'm going to hold onto hope!

I’ll go with these for now:

- 2B from Nier Automata

- Dr. Eggman from the Sonic series

- Lana from Hyrule Warriors or...Tingle (The salt would be glorious)

- Reinhardt from Fire Emblem Heroes/Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 or someone from Three Houses that isn’t Edelgard

- Itsuki from TMS #FE or...M. Bison

Tsubasa made it in as a sticker and Sakurai himself knows about the game so there’s that. 

Edited by Lord-Zero

I still don't get all the hate for Tingle. I think he's hilariously creepy and creepily hilarious.

And I love how Wind Waker insinuates all his theatrics are just a facade to disguise his true nature as a greedy asswipe.

Edited by Anomalocaris

6 hours ago, Slumber said:

Oh my God.

There are things that'd put me in jail that I'd do to see this happen.

The Japanese love him and with Skull Kid, Ghirahim and Midna out of the equation, Tingle is actually pretty likely. Sakurai could always go with SS Impa, Fi or Zant but the list was made by Nintendo so who knows. Tingle would be a fun addition. 

54 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Please not Tingle. That would be horrifying. 

As weird as he dude is he’s he pretty hilarious to play as, just look at him in hyrule warriors 

plus with plant in smash anything seems possible 

1 minute ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Ahhh, Tingle, the one Nintendo character nobody can decide if we all love him or hate him.

If it ever ended up happening I would have no complaints about it because it would be way too amusing.

Same here man

id just be glad for a character that isn’t a 4th link IF ONLY IT WAS GIRAHIM!!!

35 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

As weird as he dude is he’s he pretty hilarious to play as, just look at him in hyrule warriors 

plus with plant in smash anything seems possible 

That may be true, but I do not care. I really hate Tingle and I cannot stand the thought of seeing him on the victory screen.