1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

So my prediction that all 5 or most the DLC's will be 3rd party is already on a good start.

Nice. Here's hoping for Crash Bandicoot, still.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

So my prediction that all 5 or most the DLC's will be 3rd party is already on a good start.

FE gets the only 1st party newcomer yet again

Though more in general, I don't think this exactly kills Sora's chances; if anything, I think this increases them. Stuff like Dante and Sans as well.

The speculation train is back in business.

image0-25.jpg

From the sound of it, the DLC lineup is coming from games that are new to Smash. 

So any character from any series already represented is out.

Goodbye Rex and Elma, hello KOS-MOS.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

image0-25.jpg

From the sound of it, the DLC lineup is coming from games that are new to Smash. 

This is just PR speak so I'm not inclined to take it too seriously, but even if Rex doesn't get in I can still appreciate that he was treated better than the majority of nonplayable characters. I feel sorry for Bandana Waddle Dee fans.

But you know how Nintendo is publishing an exclusive Marvel game? And all of the Smash newcomers will be unexpected? And they need someone to top Joker? Who is the best character to include with these things in mind? That's right, Thanos confirmed.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

This is just PR speak so I'm not inclined to take it too seriously, but even if Rex doesn't get in I can still appreciate that he was treated better than the majority of nonplayable characters. I feel sorry for Bandana Waddle Dee fans.

But you know how Nintendo is publishing an exclusive Marvel game? And all of the Smash newcomers will be unexpected? And they need someone to top Joker? Who is the best character to include with these things in mind? That's right, Thanos confirmed.

It'll be Hawkeye.

New franchises being the focus is pretty bittersweet. On the one hand, having more games represented is a good thing. On the other, there's still Nintendo series in the game missing important characters. I especially feel Xenoblade got done dirty if it really doesn't get any new character on the roster once all is said and done. 

I haven't played Persona but Atlus deserved a rep and I sort of expected one, I just thought it would be Jack Frost. I just hope there's one more third party rep at most or that Joker is the only one.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

image0-25.jpg

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

New franchises being the focus is pretty bittersweet

Ok so looks like the article was misinfofmed. This is what Reggie actually said (skip to the 3 minute mark)

Reggie says characters that are new to Smash, not games.

Xenoblade still has a chance boys.

Edited by Armagon

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok so looks like the article was misinfofmed. This is what Reggie actually said (skip to the 3 minute mark)

That's good to hear. So if the characters will be unexpected, does that mean that a Three Houses rep and a Gen 8 Pokémon are deconfirmed?

R.I.P. Jack Frost.  Then again, since his attacks are usually designed around freezing people, I'm not sure if he'd have made a good choice to begin with.

Once again I'm hoping Edelgard gets in so that Three Houses's sales numbers are less likely to be shot in the foot by a wasted promotion opportunity.

I should have said this earlier, but I think Bandanna Waddle Dee would be a good pick too.  If a stupid generic Piranha Plant can get a roster space, surely someone as important as Bandanna Waddle Dee who's more deserving of one can get in too.  Though I'm not sure what kind of new stages and music he'd bring with him.  Maybe Castle Dedede as a stage and some tracks from Kirby: Star Allies?  I dunno.

I'm wondering if Sakurai made Piranha Plant a playable fighter just to punish all the people who were harassing him over Waluigi not being playable.  I can't see any other reason why he'd even be considered.

Hard to say now. I’m not too keen on the idea of the DLC pack being filled with mostly 3rd-Party characters. KOS-MOS and 2B are very likely possibilities now. All I want is HW’s Lana at this point. 

I'm going to revise my choices

Momiji Inubashiri - touhou

Sub-Zero/Scorpion - Mortal Kombat

Jace Belerin - Magic The Gathering

Chris Redfield - Resident Evil

There's my new guesses

3 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm going to revise my choices

Momiji Inubashiri - touhou

Of all the Touhou characters to make it in, why not someone like Reimu or Marisa?

Oops.  I thought you were being serious.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

That really doesn't narrow it down all that much given there's been no cuts. It basically discounts Saki and one or two other characters that didn't return as Assist Trophies/Poke Balls/Background characters.

1 minute ago, Lord-Zero said:

Well, Reimu would be a very unexpected choice.  If they’re really aiming for the surprise factor, she’s a good choice for that. 

Worth noting that there's at least one Touhou game out on the Switch at the moment.  I'm not sure if it's official, though.  (Aren't all the official ones made by ZUN on PC?)

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I dunno, if he meant that it's just from games not represented yet then that's a weird comment to make because it doesn't help narrow it down. Is XC2 considered different enough from XC1, making Rex possible? How about Captain Toad, is his game considered different enough from Super Mario 3D World? Is Super Mario 3D World considered already represented in Ultimate?

Assuming it's from franchises with no content in the game yet, I can't really think of many from Nintendo that make sense and meet the criteria. Eternal Darkness? But why would they promote a dead series? Golden Sun? Isaac is popular but he's an assist. 

For other third parties, I could see Sora happening, as unlikely as it seems. I can also see Jill or Chris from RE, Rayman, and/or Heihachi getting in.

I'm going to revise my choices.

In no particular order:

Rex & Pyra (XC2)

The game needs more Xenoblade music and stages, and Sakurai has already expressed love for it.

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

He's both a 3rd party and iconically Nintendo.

2B & 9S (NieR Automata)

I doubt Nintendo would miss the opportunity to license NieR music. Probably an easier Square copyright to obtain than the Disney based Sora, far more relevant than Geno, and serves as a bridge with Nintendo's friends at Platinum.

Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)

I still want to believe.

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

2B & 9S (NieR Automata)

I doubt Nintendo would miss the opportunity to license NieR music. Probably an easier Square copyright to obtain than the Disney based Sora, far more relevant than Geno, and serves as a bridge with Nintendo's friends at Platinum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly there are zero Drakengard/NieR games on Nintendo consoles.

....Do people actually still think Rex is getting in?

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly there are zero Drakengard/NieR games on Nintendo consoles.

I really doubt that matters.

40 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Worth noting that there's at least one Touhou game out on the Switch at the moment.  I'm not sure if it's official, though.  (Aren't all the official ones made by ZUN on PC?)

It’s a spin-off but it counts. Also, Reimu and Marisa have appeared in a Kirby game in Japan, if memory serves.

Edited by Lord-Zero

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

image0-25.jpg

This is misinformation at it's finest.

The actual quote:

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

It's just re-stating that they'll all be newcomers and telling people to be excited.