1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

28 minutes ago, Florete said:

I must have misinterpreted you on wanting him.

Yeah, some costumes in Smash 4 DLC became fighters in the next entry.

This discussion has nothing to do with Elma. It's about a single character potentially being DLC, which to me feels more relevant in this thread.

True. It's just been a hot button topic in the past and I'm weary of making it a Rex centric thread.

Yes, costume from the last entry made it in as characters in the next entry. It's not a 1:1 comparison and I didn't imply it was. I said it meant that Rex was on their radar, which means they were thinking about and considering him and to me it's clear that the only reason he didn't get into the base game was the timing of his own game's release. I don't see why they would then decide against him for DLC unless there were five characters that were significantly more popular than him yet also couldn't get into the base game. 

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to take a shot in the dark regarding one of the DLC characters (third-parties in particular). Joker seems to have opened up, or in other words subverted what to expect as DLC. That said, let me preface this with my personal theory regarding third-party DLC choices.  Assuming what Reggie said is true (Joker is "emblematic" of future DLC characters), Nintendo seems to be looking for characters that we wouldn't otherwise expect to appear in the game; they are aiming for "under the radar" characters that are from popular games, but wouldn't expect to appear as Smash fighters.  That said, any third party character with high speculation of appearing in Smash and/or is generally associated with Nintendo may have their chances decreased (sorry Geno).  I also think the Fighter Pass was added in order to cover for the cost with third-party characters (which is why I expect the majority of the DLC fighters to be third-party).  The chances of a third-party character making the cut increases if the parent third-party is looking for collaborations. In the case of Joker, Atlus was hungry to milk Persona 5 by forming various "Persona 5" collaborations with various other games. Something like a roster spot in the Smash roster would be a massive magnet for such a third-party hungry to milk a popular game.  

I am going to predict the widely-rumored Square-Enix character:

2B (Nier: Automata).

This game in particular is in a very similar spot to where Persona 5 is right now in terms of collaboration with other games. In addition to having a collaboration with other Square-Enix titles (FFBE, Star Ocean), 2B recently has shown up in Soul Calibur VI as a DLC guest fighter. While it can be argued that her appearing in SCVI hurts her chances for appearing in Smash, bear in mind that Square-Enix, not Bamco, holds final say on whether 2B can appear in other games. If Square-Enix decides that a SCVI appearance isn't enough to milk Nier, screw it, it isn't enough!  Like Persona 5, Sakurai has talked about Nier: Automata in the past in his column, which means he is aware of the game. With rumors abound of a Square-Enix character being on the Fighter Pass, it wouldn't surprise me if the character in question is 2B. If all the parties involved claim that Joker is "emblematic" of what to expect from the DLC, the YORHA android might be the best continuation of the approach. 

It's worth noting that 2B has not made any appearance on a Nintendo console so far. If she manages to get in without making some appearance on a Nintendo platform in any shape or form, this reveal may arguably be equally shocking, if not more shocking than Joker. The lack of prior appearances will have the Internet coming to the conclusion that Nintendo has chucked the "a series must have a game on a Nintendo platform" speculation into the incinerator, opening up future speculation into higher levels of insanity.

16 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

I am going to take a shot in the dark regarding one of the DLC characters (third-parties in particular). Joker seems to have opened up, or in other words subverted what to expect as DLC. That said, let me preface this with my personal theory regarding third-party DLC choices.  Assuming what Reggie said is true (Joker is "emblematic" of future DLC characters), Nintendo seems to be looking for characters that we wouldn't otherwise expect to appear in the game; they are aiming for "under the radar" characters that are from popular games, but wouldn't expect to appear as Smash fighters.  That said, any third party character with high speculation of appearing in Smash and/or is generally associated with Nintendo may have their chances decreased (sorry Geno).  I also think the Fighter Pass was added in order to cover for the cost with third-party characters (which is why I expect the majority of the DLC fighters to be third-party).  The chances of a third-party character making the cut increases if the parent third-party is looking for collaborations. In the case of Joker, Atlus was hungry to milk Persona 5 by forming various "Persona 5" collaborations with various other games. Something like a roster spot in the Smash roster would be a massive magnet for such a third-party hungry to milk a popular game.  

This game in particular is in a very similar spot to where Persona 5 is right now in terms of collaboration with other games. In addition to having a collaboration with other Square-Enix titles (FFBE, Star Ocean), 2B recently has shown up in Soul Calibur VI as a DLC guest fighter. While it can be argued that her appearing in SCVI hurts her chances for appearing in Smash, bear in mind that Square-Enix, not Bamco, holds final say on whether 2B can appear in other games. If Square-Enix decides that a SCVI appearance isn't enough to milk Nier, screw it, it isn't enough!  Like Persona 5, Sakurai has talked about Nier: Automata in the past in his column, which means he is aware of the game. With rumors abound of a Square-Enix character being on the Fighter Pass, it wouldn't surprise me if the character in question is 2B. If all the parties involved claim that Joker is "emblematic" of what to expect from the DLC, the YORHA android might be the best continuation of the approach. 

It's worth noting that 2B has not made any appearance on a Nintendo console so far. If she manages to get in without making some appearance on a Nintendo platform in any shape or form, this reveal may arguably be equally shocking, if not more shocking than Joker. The lack of prior appearances will have the Internet coming to the conclusion that Nintendo has chucked the "a series must have a game on a Nintendo platform" speculation into the incinerator, opening up future speculation into higher levels of insanity.

Cloud already chucked that rule imo. Like sure, he had some very minor appearance in some handheld Kingdom Hearts games (and I think maybe some chocobo games) but thats more trivia than a weighted fact.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Cloud already chucked that rule imo. Like sure, he had some very minor appearance in some handheld Kingdom Hearts games (and I think maybe some chocobo games) but thats more trivia than a weighted fact.

Well, some people are counting Persona Q2 and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories as games that fulfill the rule for Joker and Cloud, respectively. 2B, who currently doesn't have any appearance in a game on a Nintendo platform at all would be a clear sign to many that the rule has been broken.

1 hour ago, BZL8 said:

I'm actually thinking the same thing for many of the same reasons.

And I really hope so, too, because 2B is my most-wanted.

18 minutes ago, Florete said:

I'm actually thinking the same thing for many of the same reasons.

And I really hope so, too, because 2B is my most-wanted.

I ain’t played Nier myself, but she does look pretty hype. Anticipate her thighs getting covered up though. And the inevitable cries of, “yet another anime swords(wo)man!”

Personally, I’m really kind of hoping for Sora. Maybe have Destiny Islands, which flashes between normal and its End of the World incarnation.

A character I don't hear many people suggesting that seems likely (and desirable) to me would be Travis Touchdown. No More Heroes began on a Nintendo and it's getting a third installment on the Switch very soon (next month in fact! Wow, never heard a peep from it after the original trailer). Seems like decent enough justification to put him in the game.

6 hours ago, NoirCore said:

I'm still on the Rex bandwagon, but I would be cool with KOS-MOS from Xenosaga or a Mishima (or two if they make an Echo) from Tekken getting in as a Namco rep.

Sakurai did said it be one fighter for each challenger pack. He did mentioned there is no complete Echo Fighter are going to included sadly, it possibly to have a Semi-Echo Fighter similar to how they added Roy and Lucas in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii DLC content.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Sakurai did said it be one fighter for each challenger pack. He did mentioned there is no complete Echo Fighter are going to included sadly, it possibly to have a Semi-Echo Fighter similar to how they added Roy and Lucas in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii DLC content.

Well, yes, I know no Echoes are gonna fill the DLC slots, but I don't think he necessarily denied more Echo fighters coming in?

15 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Well, yes, I know no Echoes are gonna fill the DLC slots, but I don't think he necessarily denied more Echo fighters coming in?

He didn't. It bugs me when people say we're not getting any more echo fighters; Sakurai never said that. He said each challenger pack would contain a unique newcomer.

A random thought: If Nintendo wants to have a Fire Emblem newcomer surprise people, they would pick an old Fire Emblem character from the Famicom/Super Famicom days, not a new character. This would twist the idea that "Nintendo wants to advertise their newest Fire Emblem game" into something else. Bonus points if the Fire Emblem character uses a weapon other than an axe, sword, or lance (Julius and/or Julia when?). Anna could probably work to by making her not use a sword, but every other weapon in the series. 

56 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

A random thought: If Nintendo wants to have a Fire Emblem newcomer surprise people, they would pick an old Fire Emblem character from the Famicom/Super Famicom days, not a new character. This would twist the idea that "Nintendo wants to advertise their newest Fire Emblem game" into something else. Bonus points if the Fire Emblem character uses a weapon other than an axe, sword, or lance (Julius and/or Julia when?). Anna could probably work to by making her not use a sword, but every other weapon in the series. 

Not going to happen, but it'd be awesome if they included a Jugdral character with a surprise revelation of a Jugdral remake being released.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

He didn't. It bugs me when people say we're not getting any more echo fighters; Sakurai never said that. He said each challenger pack would contain a unique newcomer.

The direct said "Since we've included every character from the past games, are only option is to make new characters from scratch, and we're not talking about Echo fighters. We'll be releasing sets with one fighter, one stage and multiple music tracks." So it seems like they don't have any intention of making Echos. Although I'm still hopeful they'll change their mind on that and release sets with a unique fighter and an echo. Echos are usually last minute additions when there's extra time and man power to go around. So just because they said they won't doesn't mean they won't actually do it. Additionally, they've never said we'd only be getting these five characters. If the DLC is really successful they might end up making more. The door for more Echoes isn't completely closed, but I think the direct makes it clear it wasn't in their scope of consideration at the time it was made.

35 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The direct said "Since we've included every character from the past games, are only option is to make new characters from scratch, and we're not talking about Echo fighters. We'll be releasing sets with one fighter, one stage and multiple music tracks." So it seems like they don't have any intention of making Echos. Although I'm still hopeful they'll change their mind on that and release sets with a unique fighter and an echo. Echos are usually last minute additions when there's extra time and man power to go around. So just because they said they won't doesn't mean they won't actually do it. Additionally, they've never said we'd only be getting these five characters. If the DLC is really successful they might end up making more. The door for more Echoes isn't completely closed, but I think the direct makes it clear it wasn't in their scope of consideration at the time it was made.

I can see where you're coming from, but to me it seems like they just wanted to make sure people know that they're not paying $5.99 for a clone (or $24.99 for 5 clones). The gift box in game already strongly implies that the game will be supported with more than just the paid DLC. We could also get another Simon/Richter situation, like if we were to get 2B, 9S and/or A2 would make easy echo fighters.

Anyway, as far as I see it, it's entirely possible we won't get any more echos. I just don't think it's been confirmed.

36 minutes ago, Florete said:

I can see where you're coming from, but to me it seems like they just wanted to make sure people know that they're not paying $5.99 for a clone (or $24.99 for 5 clones). The gift box in game already strongly implies that the game will be supported with more than just the paid DLC. We could also get another Simon/Richter situation, like if we were to get 2B, 9S and/or A2 would make easy echo fighters.

Anyway, as far as I see it, it's entirely possible we won't get any more echos. I just don't think it's been confirmed.

Free Echoes would be sweet. Who are 2B, 9S and A2 though?

Other than 2B, here are my other predictions:

• Raiden (Metal Gear Rising: Revengence): A personal want of mine, I am curious to see how people would react to another swordfighter (and a former PSASBR fighter) in Ultimate. inb4 Smash Ultimate is the true sequel to Playstation All Stars Battle Royale. 
  • Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie): Unless the reports of Rare Inc. spirits being found in the game are a hoax, something tells me the duo are in the game.
  • Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

Im going to throw some crazy guesses out there. None of these I am betting a lot on, but I think they have a chance.

1. Doom Slayer. Considering Sakurai's love of gaming history, Bethesda being the biggest 3rd party company that was throwing all its games onto the Switch, and Doom being on Nintendo consoles since the SNES, even making a game uniquely for the N64 that was actually quite good, I can see Doom getting some representation in. Doom and Wolfenstein are both the fathers of the FPS genre, so they definitely have some history there. The only thing holding it back is the hyper violence of the Doom games, but I think that can be avoided. We already have some pretty mature characters. Just use some of the more tech weapons like the Plasma Rifle, BFG, Rocket Launcher, and then throw in some punches and the chainsaw and itll work. They can also borrow some from the Doom 2016 and Eternal games for weapons. And I hope they do for his look if it happens. BJ Blaskowitz is the alternative to Doom Slayer, pretty much being the same character but Wolfenstein's MC instead. I think they are interchangable in this case, so either could work.

2. The Square Rep. I see this as being pretty likely tbh. there is any number of characters that can be chosen here though, so I cant begin to really think about what it could be.

3. Tales rep. Considering Bandai's work on Smash, I really think a Tales rep is likely. There are several characters that could work here. Lloyd or Yuri are probably at the forefront, maybe even Luke. Or they pull something crazy on us and give us Velvet. Either way I think a Tales rep is likely.

These are the ones I am guessing. The first is a little out there, but I think any of these stand a pretty solid chance. I dont have a 4th option because there is just nothing I can really think of tbh.

I swear at this point, I don’t think even a Digimon character is too far off. 

Joker didn’t open the door. He pretty much kicked the door open and broke every nearby window. 

1 hour ago, Jave said:

I swear at this point, I don’t think even a Digimon character is too far off. 

Joker didn’t open the door. He pretty much kicked the door open and broke every nearby window. 

Hard to say at this point. We don't know if Joker is just the singular equivalent of Cloud in Smash 4, or if the other four characters are just as shocking as Cloud/Joker (as if the idea of the character joining the game generally never crossed people's minds to begin with, though we are seeing support for some of those characters grow in light of Joker's reveal).  

If all the Fighter Pass characters are those with small odds of getting in and have little support, then we can say Joker didn't just steal an invitation, he stole the entire batch and delivered them to characters who people wouldn't even expect.