1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

The 4chan leak is either really lucky or it's true. So, honestly, I would not be surprised at all if the next two characters were

Edelgard and Sylux

but I'm kinda leaning towards Rayman and Geno. They could follow up the Banjo hype well enough.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

The 4chan leak is either really lucky or it's true. So, honestly, I would not be surprised at all if the next two characters were

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard and Sylux

but I'm kinda leaning towards Rayman and Geno. They could follow up the Banjo hype well enough.

I could see MAYBE one of Rayman or Geno, but I feel like we'll get an even split between western/eastern properties again in terms of popularity (and Geno is more popular in the west than Japan), but I'm also basing that purely on conjecture haha.

Edited by Jedi

I'm pretty sure if Geno's Mii Fighter costume comes back with the Dragon Quest Hero pack then that pretty much deconfirms his chances if his spirit already being in the game wasn't enough to convince people.

Edit: Plus I don't see Square Enix getting two reps in this season pass.

Edited by NSSKG151

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard and Sylux

I could have sworn that there was another 4chan leak that predicted:

Spoiler

Banjo

Erdrick

Ryu Hyabusa

Doom Slayer

And we just started proclaiming it debunked for arbitrary reasons.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I could see MAYBE one of Rayman or Geno, but I feel like we'll get an even split between western/eastern properties again in terms of popularity (and Geno is more popular in the west than Japan), but I'm also basing that purely on conjecture haha.

I hope it's an even split! I'm just thinking of characters that'd make people excited haha.

6 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I hope it's an even split! I'm just thinking of characters that'd make people excited haha.

If we assume Joker to be a Japanocentric choice, despite Persona gaining ground aboard, then perfect DLC popularity symmetry is impossible with 5 fighters. Either one of the two remaining characters is universally loved, or one half the relevant cultural divide will be slightly favored here. Barring a hypothetical Fighter Pass 2 or Echo Fighter pass that provides more balancing.

Or Europe will get a character that is distinctly popular over there, or Australia or New Zealand. Or China, the market of 1.3 billion people must be specifically catered to, so they'll get to pick the final fighter, I know it. Hollywood is lovin' Chinese yuan and it only a matter of time before video game companies do the same. As in centuries past when all of Eastern Hemisphere wanted Chinese silks and teas, so they now all want a cut of the Chinese consumers' money.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Since DQ now has a character, I don't have any specific interest in any given character or series now.

Sanger Zonvolt from SRW would be an interesting pick though.  Possibly a bit off the wall for most westerners though, combined with the fact that he's another 'anime swordsman'.

6 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Sanger Zonvolt from SRW would be an interesting pick though.  Possibly a bit off the wall for most westerners though, combined with the fact that he's another 'anime swordsman'.

Then give us Elzam/Ratsel. Just downsize the roller skates, Schulterplates, and the Lazerkanones, and put them all on him, complete with a black cape and Trombe! blaring in the background. Have him summon a mini Ausenseiter for the Final Smash which he controls as Sanger rides on the back with his mini Type 3 Colossal Blade. And throw in a Kurogane volley and drilling somewhere.

Really though, an SRW AT at least would be good. If not the German Samurai Who Smites Evil, then why not a downsized SRX which hovers around Slash Kicking, Finger Launchering, Dominion Balling, and TK Burst Slashing opponents? No Hyper Tronium Blaster Cannon though, since that would require adding a downsized R Gun Powered. Or a mini Cybuster- Masaki taking a wrong turn and ending up in Smash sounds feasible.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Monster Hunter and a character from Monolithsoft's new game to be revealed around December/January -- which may be a Xenoblade X sequel starring Elma or something brand new.

22 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then give us Elzam/Ratsel. Just downsize the roller skates, Schulterplates, and the Lazerkanones, and put them all on him, complete with a black cape and Trombe! blaring in the background. Have him summon a mini Ausenseiter for the Final Smash which he controls as Sanger rides on the back with his mini Type 3 Colossal Blade. And throw in a Kurogane volley and drilling somewhere.

Really though, an SRW AT at least would be good. If not the German Samurai Who Smites Evil, then why not a downsized SRX which hovers around Slash Kicking, Finger Launchering, Dominion Balling, and TK Burst Slashing opponents? No Hyper Tronium Blaster Cannon though, since that would require adding a downsized R Gun Powered. Or a mini Cybuster- Masaki taking a wrong turn and ending up in Smash sounds feasible.

OMG, a SRW character would be so cool! Though certainly the chances could be quite slim.

Hahaha, while that Elzam/Ratsel idea looks cool, I don't quite see it. Sanger at least has already fought on foot in a game, as shown in ProjectxZone. Not sure on downsizede SRW; but the Endless Frontier has lots of mini-mechas to cover such an idea.

Heh, I could totally see a mini-Cybuster. Canonically, thanks to Classicverse Masaki once visiting the Elpis Colony World (the setting of Hero Senki, Gilliam's origin game), he has worn the Cybuster as power armor. So it can work.

Well, DLC sure is shaping up to be interesting. I’m not sure who to expect anymore lmao. 

Nevertheless, I have some characters I’d like to see:

Doomguy (Most Wanted)

Ryu Hayabusa

Leon Kennedy 

Dante

Jin Kazama

Any of these 5 would be amazing.

I kinda did kinda wanted the Eighth Hero from Dragon Quest VIII would make it as a second Square Enix fighter. I didn't expected he would make it as an alternate costume for the Luminary along with Erdrick from the third game and Solo from the fourth game since we didn't seen any 3rd Party fighters getting an alternate costumes of different characters before.

Also since the Erdrick leak was 50% correct and 50% false since Erdrick is in the game as an Alternate Costume since the Luminary is the main Dragon Quest hero focused in the roster & the Fighter Pass and plus, the leak didn't mentined Erdrick was an alt & didn't mentioned the other 3 Dragon Quest heroes  are playable as well. I still have hope of that leak of all DLC Fighters for the Fighter Pass are all 3rd Party needs to be false and we definitely need to have a newcomer from a Nintendo franchise since Super Smash Bros. is a Nintendo fighting game. I think we do have an enough 3rd Party Fighters for the Fighter Pass roster.

Edited by King Marth 64

I'm gonna guess that the last two characters will either be from a new franchise outright or from a game from an existing franchise in Smash, but the game itself has minimal representation right now and no spirits to represent the potential playable character. Joker, DQ Hero and Banjo fit that well as they come with spirits from a franchise/game not represented in Smash yet.

I do hope Namco has at least one more rep, though. Counting Joker and Bayo as Sega, Namco's the only company that has a non-DLC character in the roster and only one rep. I want to say we might get a Tekken rep as an excuse to rerelease Heihachi's Mii costume around the same time (we got some Sonic costumes from 4 back for Joker's Mii costume DLC cuz Sega), whether it comes with current old Heihachi or maybe even Jin/Kazuya instead.

I'm just gonna play it safe and say two of Capcom, Namco, Bethesda, and Ubisoft are getting characters in.

...Honestly, it's a bit hard to make rational predictions at this point after Nintendo proved "bringing in new audiences" was meaningless PR and went for stroking nostalgia boners with Banjo.

So I do think based off the mii costume theory combined with a bit of company theory, that the final two characters will be Capcom and Bandai Namco. (Basically the theory presumes that since Joker brought sonic costumes for Sega and Atlus is owned by Sega, and that we may get Geno and Chocobo costumes back with Dragonquest, the missing costumes from Smash 4 will be added back in this way, though a counter to this is we didn't get Jackie or Akira's costumes back)

For Capcom I think either Dante, Phoenix, or Monster Hunter may get in.

For Bandai Namco I think one of five possible reps, a Tales of Rep, either Lloyd Irving (legacy for the series and Nintendo plus worldwide popularity), or Yuri Lowell (Has Japan popularity, is iconic on his own, relevancy with definitive edition). Now the other two are either a Super Robot Wars rep, I'd prefer Haken as he has a bit more of an appearance in the west and has a unique moveset, but also Sanger would be cool, the next one is Heihachi but he's the among the least likely in my eyes. Next is Solaire from Dark Souls, but I think this would be random now and was something I thought more for when he got an amiibo. Finally we have KOS-MOS, representing Xenosaga and the non-Xenoblade part of the Xeno series as a whole, she is unlikely due to her low relevancy and appearance but is a dream wish for me.

As for who I want

Yuri Lowell or KOS-MOS and Master Chief (Master Chief would be a big announcement for the Game Awards as the final character)

I do also think they'd be stupid to not do a second season of dlc characters, focusing on 1st party this time. So Rex and Pyra hopes are not dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that a screenshot from the cancelled GBA game? If you're going to use a screenshot to refute the idea, use one from an actual released game. Here are a few screenshots of her lighthouse, inside and out.

Interesting that outside the lighthouse, the window has always been symmetric, but when we first get to see inside it in Pirate's Curse, they start using the inverted Smash-style crossbeam.

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Isn't that a screenshot from the cancelled GBA game? If you're going to use a screenshot to refute the idea, use one from an actual released game. Here are a few screenshots of her lighthouse, inside and out.

Interesting that outside the lighthouse, the window has always been symmetric, but when we first get to see inside it in Pirate's Curse, they start using the inverted Smash-style crossbeam.

Design's still largely consistent, but I assumed it was from the GBA-enhanced part of the original Shantae. My mistake.

3 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Wouldn’t be hilarious if Anna was in the Pass in any form?

Unlikely to happen even though Anna is pretty much the only Nintendo character I want to see playable in Smash at this point. She would definitely be more unique than all the other Fire Emblem characters currently in Smash combined though sadly Sakurai pretty much only picks main/playable protagonists and Anna is just a background character for the most part. Though I suppose there is her Heroes incarnation (hey look an axe moveset) where she is 'somewhat' of a major character but faces competition from Alfonse, Veronica and Fjorm in terms for a Fire Emblem Heroes rep.

At this point I haven't any predictions. Anything can happen. So I'll list the two I want to see the most.

1) Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia) -- Yes, I'm in the Lloyd boat. I want him as the 2nd Namco rep. One of, if not the, most well-known Tales characters. His dual sword moveset and artes  are unique and would be easy to implement. He did have a mii costume in Smash 4, so there's always still a shred of hope.

2) Marco Rossi (Metal Slug) w/Tarma, Eri, and Fio as alts a la the DQ Hero -- SNK rep, Metal Slug was a popular run n' gun arcade series though dormant nowadays (never stopped Castlevania or Kid Icarus, now did it?). Moveset could revolve around utilizing the various weapon powerups (but with more variety than Samus').

Examples (Marco is used here since he is the default):

• Normal attacks could involve punches, kicks, bludgeoning w/ weapon, other weapons for a quick strike, and using the knife (or sometimes a fork like when he has the fat status)
  • Down Special: Cycle Weapons -- Cycle through various weapons and use them with Neutral Special. Weapons include Pistol (functions like Falco's Blaster but faster), Heavy Machine Gun (default weapon; even faster than Fox's Blaster, but individual shots only deal 0.1-0.3% dmg to avoid being OP), and Shotgun (akin to Samus' custom Neutral Special 3, "Melee Charge Shot" from Smash 4 but w/o the charge and a bigger blast radius). HMG and Shotgun have limited ammo that replenishes over time akin to Robin's weapon durability (When Kirby copies Marco's ability, it functions like Robin's copy ability, in that [since HMG is the default weapon] Kirby loses the ability when he runs out of ammo).
  • Side Special: Grenade - lobs a grenade like in Metal Slug. Explodes on contact. Move can be charged up (but not stored) to throw a more powerful Fire Bomb.
  • Up Special: Prisoner Boost or Slug Flyer/UFO Lift -- Took a moment to think about it how Marco would recover, but I came up with 2½ ideas: A Prisoner of War boosts him up from below (akin to Mega Man) or a Slug Flyer/Mars People UFO lifts him up (akin to Duck Hunt or Snake).
  • Final Smash: Slug Barrage -- Cinematic attack. Various Slug vehicles barrage the opponent with vulcan gunfire, then Marco comes in with a Gold Metal Slug tank and finishes them off with an Armor Piercer cannon shot. The animation of this last shot resembles the shot fired in the title sequence of the original Metal Slug game (but probably a bit quicker for pacing).
Edited by Baron the Shining Blade