1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

This is misinformation at it's finest.

The actual quote:

"These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5. Characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

It's just re-stating that they'll all be newcomers and telling people to be excited.

Not sure if you noticed, but he already figured that out.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ok so looks like the article was misinfofmed. This is what Reggie actually said...

Reggie says characters that are new to Smash, not games.

Xenoblade still has a chance boys.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I must have missed something; this now says four instead of five. Has someone been announced?

The Persona 5 Protagonist was announced as the first DLC character, though we didn't get to see any footage of him in action.

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I must have missed something; this now says four instead of five. Has someone been announced?

Good point. Maybe @Jotari could update the first post with the reveal video in a spoiler.

Joker came completely out of left field, and I love it. As did Piranha Plant. Therefore, we all need to guess for the unexpected. Sora, Rex, and Edelgard are all safe choices, and safe is something Nintendo is clearly not going with. My guesses are all probably going to be completely wrong, since my current theory right now is "If they're a Spirit, they're deconfirmed". I don't know if that's true or not, and I have no clue who all the spirits are, so that could be entirely wrong.

Anyways, I'd say we're probably getting another character from Hal lab. While Bandanna Waddle Dee is the favored, I think the completely out of nowhere character for Hal would be Lolo. This dude has next to no relevance, but is also so obscure I think it'll work.

For third party, I think Atari might want some representation. So you know what's going to be in? Pong Yeah I dunno who, Atari has a large backlog of classics, but no one distinct character. Maybe the big N could pull a Duck Hunt and sneak a lot of games into one main one. I still think we'll get another Atari rep

Sega might want another representative. Ristar is an option, but I think that the trio of characters from Golden Axe would be the one to go with. Similar to the Pokemon trainer, they jump in and out of the background at the press of some button. Or just do another Sonic character but where's the fun or surprise in that?

And lastly, Nintendo will probably do a new rep from themselves. If they time this right, they could finally add another F-Zero rep with the announcement of a new game. I'd probably say the villain dude, who's name escapes me, would be the best person for the job currently.

Alternatively, we get another Konami representative. If Raiden from Metal Gear Rising was added, that's a Platinum and Konami rep right there.

5 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Joker came completely out of left field, and I love it. As did Piranha Plant. Therefore, we all need to guess for the unexpected. Sora, Rex, and Edelgard are all safe choices, and safe is something Nintendo is clearly not going with. My guesses are all probably going to be completely wrong, since my current theory right now is "If they're a Spirit, they're deconfirmed". I don't know if that's true or not, and I have no clue who all the spirits are, so that could be entirely wrong.

Anyways, I'd say we're probably getting another character from Hal lab. While Bandanna Waddle Dee is the favored, I think the completely out of nowhere character for Hal would be Lolo. This dude has next to no relevance, but is also so obscure I think it'll work.

For third party, I think Atari might want some representation. So you know what's going to be in? Pong Yeah I dunno who, Atari has a large backlog of classics, but no one distinct character. Maybe the big N could pull a Duck Hunt and sneak a lot of games into one main one. I still think we'll get another Atari rep

Sega might want another representative. Ristar is an option, but I think that the trio of characters from Golden Axe would be the one to go with. Similar to the Pokemon trainer, they jump in and out of the background at the press of some button. Or just do another Sonic character but where's the fun or surprise in that?

And lastly, Nintendo will probably do a new rep from themselves. If they time this right, they could finally add another F-Zero rep with the announcement of a new game. I'd probably say the villain dude, who's name escapes me, would be the best person for the job currently.

Alternatively, we get another Konami representative. If Raiden from Metal Gear Rising was added, that's a Platinum and Konami rep right there.

While it's true that a lot of your ideas are unexpected, they might be a little too obscure or have other issues.

Lolo's identity is probably too fixed in Kirby now (as Lololo) for HAL to be interested in making another game with him, as much as I liked his game.

The big issue with an Atari representative is that unlike the other big companies with which it was competing past its prime, Atari never seemed to be able to pull of any recognizable mascot characters (this is probably one of the reasons why it ultimately didn't survive the console wars, but that's another discussion entirely).  So all these classic Atari games wouldn't have anyone to be tied to.

Not sure about any of the other representatives you suggested.  Of them, I think Raiden sounds the most plausible.

While my fingers are crossed for Edelgard to get in, I haven't heard anybody asking for Byleth, so Nintendo might put him in instead like the other Avatars just to screw with people (I hope to Naga this doesn't happen).

Personal pan pizza picks:

1. Anything from Kirby. I know Bandanna Dee has a lot of support, but my favorite has always been Gooey or any of the Animal Friends from Dreamland 2 or 3. Or just do the 2 trio like they did in Star Allies, It just would seem weird to have Kine as a "transformation" when Smash doesn't have underwater combat and you'd spend all your time as Rick or Coo. Suzie in a breakable robobot would be cool, especially since they didn't give Kirby the robobot as a new final smash. Any of the Dream Friends, especially the reimagined villains can work wonderfully in Smash. 
  2. Helix from ARMS. I'm not willing to just ignore ARMS. Mainly because I want that music in Smash. Ribbon Girl is a hard pass for me though. Her special ability in the Context of Arms is that she gets several midair jumps instead of just one, and in the context of Smash, who cares? Lots of characters have multiple jumps. Put in Helix and create a character that can shift to low and high stances when standing or walking. Low stance moves make him tricky to hit while high stance moves have much larger range. Plus he's just a weirdo. Nobody in Smash looks or moves like Helix.
  3. Anything from Zelda. Similar to Kirby, this series feels very underrepresented in its pool of characters. As best I can tell, Midna is no longer an assist trophy, and I think that'd be a great pick. Moveset inspired by Hyrule Warriors where the ghost wolf "shackle" appears at will for an attack. Or just have the wolf link there at all times so we can make jokes about there being a fourth Link in Smash. Pig beast Ganon is also an idea I've been peddling for a while. So much move set potential with the telekinetic trident, setting the stage on fire, warping. I'd also take Lana or Linkle from Hyrule Warriors. Those Warriors games are a big deal in the context of Nintendo history where they're willing to license out major IP like that. Impa is another great pick, though, again, I'd have a hard time picking a design or battle style from a game that's not Warriors.
  4. Rayman. Ubisoft has been friendly with Nintendo through the darkest of years and it kind of bugs me Rayman was never added to Smash. If you play Rayman Origins, his smash moveset is all there. Like any Kirby character, just copy and paste. I also shouldn't have to stress how easy this guy is to animate.

Phoenix Wright and Banjo-Kazooie don't seem too far off now.

Still hoping for Shantae and Arle, even though I'm not so sure anymore. Please prove me wrong.

Edited by Jave

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The Persona 5 Protagonist was announced as the first DLC character, though we didn't get to see any footage of him in action.

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Good point. Maybe @Jotari could update the first post with the reveal video in a spoiler.

5 hours ago, Florete said:

Okay. Thanks guys. I literally have no idea who this person is. The only Joker I ever heard of was voiced by Mark Hamill.

I've heard of the Persona games, but I don't know a thing about them.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

....Do people actually still think Rex is getting in?

Nobody at Nintendo said he wasn’t, did they?

In all seriousness, I believe the logical approach is to wait to see whether or not Rex gets in as DLC is revealed.

Well, now that someone is announced, I should update my lists:

Who I Want to See:

1. Decidueye/Sceptile
  2. Micaiah
  3. Captain Toad
  4. Claude Wallace/Welkin Gunther

Who I Expect to See:

1. Edelgard
  2. Captain Toad
  3. Someone from a notable JRPG series that I've never heard of/know nothing about.
  4. Elma

I still think it'd be very odd if Rex doesn't get in. I can't see any good reason not to put h in the game and several good reasons to put him in the game. Only way he's not getting in is if there's four other choices that are plain superior, and with the Nintendo roster mostly exhausted, that comes down to what licenses they can get (though Smash Bros. is so big now I doubt there's many companies that would refuse to let them use a character. It's basically free money for the people who own the characters).

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can't see any good reason not to put h in the game

I mean you can say this for almost any character.

The Mii costume being a fighter pass bonus should be enough to let everyone know Rex himself isn't going to be part of the fighter pass.

11 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

my current theory right now is "If they're a Spirit, they're deconfirmed". I don't know if that's true or not, and I have no clue who all the spirits are, so that could be entirely wrong.

Captain K. Rool, Military Samus, and various power up variants of Mario are all among the Spirits, so right away we know that "getting a Spirit =/= deconfirmed". That said, while I'm happy that Shantae is getting any kind of acknowledgement at all in Smash, I really hope she's one of the DLC fighters.

And though I know Ivy Valentine is probably neither the most popular Soul Calibur character nor the most likely due to her massive sex appeal (even though we already have Bayonetta), I would be interested in seeing her join the roster because a) I do love dominatrixes and b) she'd be a cool counterpart of sorts to Simon Belmont as a fellow whip-wielder.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

I mean you can say this for almost any character.

The Mii costume being a fighter pass bonus should be enough to let everyone know Rex himself isn't going to be part of the fighter pass.

The decision to make Rex part of the fighter pass was made before the DLC characters (sans Piranha Plant) were selected.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Captain K. Rool, Military Samus, and various power up variants of Mario are all among the Spirits, so right away we know that "getting a Spirit =/= deconfirmed". That said, while I'm happy that Shantae is getting any kind of acknowledgement at all in Smash, I really hope she's one of the DLC fighters.

And though I know Ivy Valentine is probably neither the most popular Soul Calibur character nor the most likely due to her massive sex appeal (even though we already have Bayonetta), I would be interested in seeing her join the roster because a) I do love dominatrixes and b) she'd be a cool counterpart of sorts to Simon Belmont as a fellow whip-wielder.

I think there's a difference between the character alt spirits and legit character spirits. But that being said, Mewtwo was a regular trophy in Smash 4 yet became a fighter as DLC. Character spirits are a bit different to generic spirits though in that fighter spirits don't actually so things. So being a spirit = being disconfirmationed is t too illogical, but like everything it shouldn't be taken as law. If they wanted to they could just straight up have a generic Shantae spirit and a Shantae fighter spirit that use two different artworks even though they have the same name.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The decision to make Rex part of the fighter pass was made before the DLC characters (sans Piranha Plant) were selected.

Source?

Don't bother looking, it's a rhetorical question. You don't know that. Even if it's true, they would have taken the costume out if they ended up deciding to make Rex a DLC fighter.

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

I still think it'd be very odd if Rex doesn't get in. I can't see any good reason not to put h in the game and several good reasons to put him in the game. Only way he's not getting in is if there's four other choices that are plain superior, and with the Nintendo roster mostly exhausted, that comes down to what licenses they can get (though Smash Bros. is so big now I doubt there's many companies that would refuse to let them use a character. It's basically free money for the people who own the characters).

I can't see Sakurai being ok with leaving him as a costume. He's a Xenoblade fan and specifically wrote about how much he liked XC2. I don't think Nintendo would pass him up either, since the game sold really well and Xenoblade is probably their most successful new franchise behind Splatoon. There's just so much for Rex and the only thing against him is the timing of release of his game. It would be a shame if everyone in a position to decide the DLC ignored him in favour of third parties and/or less "iconic" first party characters.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

Source?

Don't bother looking, it's a rhetorical question. You don't know that. Even if it's true, they would have taken the costume out if they ended up deciding to make Rex a DLC fighter.

I don't need to look, I already know what I'm basing it on. Sakurai announced that the line up for the DLC was finalized in a tweet on the sixth of November, almost a week after the final direct where they showed Rex's costume.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

They also said in the direct itself that they hadn't begun working on the DLC yet. As for taking the costume out, why would they do that? That's like saying they should have taken the Chrom costume out when they decided to make him a fighter.

I know what your counter arguments are going to be. "Sakurai announcing it's been finalized on that date doesn't mean Rex wasn't already discounted for some reason." "Sakurai never actually said it had just been finalized on the 6th. Could have been decided long before that and he only chose to announce it then instead of in the direct." "They just said they hadn't begun working on them in the direct, not that they hadn't decided who was getting in." Probably some stuff along those lines. Don't want to get into an argument about Rex, made a specific thread for that. Just letting you know exactly why I'm making such an assertion. Ultimately you're correct, I can't know exactly when each of the DLC characters were selected or when Rex's costume was selected to be an incentive for the Season Pass, all I can do is make conjecture based on the fact that one of the two things were announced before the other. A more accurate version of what my original comment should have been would be that the DLC characters were "finalized" after the Rex costume was decided to be part of the season pass.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't need to look, I already know what I'm basing it on. Sakurai announced that the line up for the DLC was finalized in a tweet on the sixth of November, almost a week after the final direct where they showed Rex's costume.

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282

They also said in the direct itself that they hadn't begun working on the DLC yet. As for taking the costume out, why would they do that? That's like saying they should have taken the Chrom costume out when they decided to make him a fighter.

I know what your counter arguments are going to be. "Sakurai announcing it's been finalized on that date doesn't mean Rex wasn't already discounted for some reason." "Sakurai never actually said it had just been finalized on the 6th. Could have been decided long before that and he only chose to announce it then instead of in the direct." "They just said they hadn't begun working on them in the direct, not that they hadn't decided who was getting in." Probably some stuff along those lines. Don't want to get into an argument about Rex, made a specific thread for that. Just letting you know exactly why I'm making such an assertion. Ultimately you're correct, I can't know exactly when each of the DLC characters were selected or when Rex's costume was selected to be an incentive for the Season Pass, all I can do is make conjecture based on the fact that one of the two things were announced before the other. A more accurate version of what my original comment should have been would be that the DLC characters were "finalized" after the Rex costume was decided to be part of the season pass.

Chrom was likely a last-minute addition to the roster. He's still in Robin's final smash and victory screen. Even so, base game is different from DLC, and other base game fighters also have Mii costumes. There's no precedent for them revealing a Mii costume for a character before the character themself as a newcomer in the same entry. Even if you count the DLC as a separate entry (which I do), Rex's Mii costume is DLC. They wouldn't leave the costume there if they decided to add him.

You already know my other counter-arguments so I don't know what you're still choosing to believe in. I don't intend to tell you not to support Rex for Smash or campaign for him or whatever, but if you actually believe he'll be part of the fighter pass you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Even I've already given up on my most-wanted 1st party character, Dixie Kong, but at least she's not been as directly deconfirmed.

If they are going for oddball inclusions, the dragonborn is only helped if that is the case.

only hope is no three houses, last time they went for a new untested fire emblem rep we got corrin who is one of the most hated lords in series history, I rather get something from a different series at this point, besides promo characters are what have wrecked the fire emblem smash roster.

6 hours ago, Florete said:

Chrom was likely a last-minute addition to the roster. He's still in Robin's final smash and victory screen. Even so, base game is different from DLC, and other base game fighters also have Mii costumes. There's no precedent for them revealing a Mii costume for a character before the character themself as a newcomer in the same entry. Even if you count the DLC as a separate entry (which I do), Rex's Mii costume is DLC. They wouldn't leave the costume there if they decided to add him.

You already know my other counter-arguments so I don't know what you're still choosing to believe in. I don't intend to tell you not to support Rex for Smash or campaign for him or whatever, but if you actually believe he'll be part of the fighter pass you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Even I've already given up on my most-wanted 1st party character, Dixie Kong, but at least she's not been as directly deconfirmed.

I have no personal connection or desire for Rex. There's several characters I would like more than him even from his own game. I won't be upset or disappointed if he doesn't get into the game and I won't be elated or pleased if he does (beyond some mild smugness at calling it right). I just say I think it's likely based on how I interpret the facts. I don't see his costume being a fighter pass bonus as a confirmation that Nintendo don't want to include the protagonist of a well selling currently available game in Smash. In fact I see it as more as as justification to believe he's coming as it means he's in their radar, just like several if the costumes released in Smash 4 that became fighters in this game. If you want to explore the ins and outs of what all these details mean we can do so on the thread dedicated to Rex Vs Elma.

Edited by Jotari

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I have no personal connection or desire for Rex. There's several characters I would like more than him even from his own game. I won't be upset or disappointed if he doesn't get into the game and I won't be elated or pleased if he does (beyond some mild smugness at calling it right). I just say I think it's likely based on how I interpret the facts.

I must have misinterpreted you on wanting him.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't see his costume being a fighter pass bonus as a confirmation that Nintendo don't want to include the protagonist of a well selling currently available game in Smash. In fact I see it as more as as justification to believe he's coming as it means he's in their radar, just like several if the costumes released in Smash 4 that became fighters in this game.

Yeah, some costumes in Smash 4 DLC became fighters in the next entry.

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If you want to explore the ins and outs of what all these details mean we can do so on the thread dedicated to Rex Vs Elma.

This discussion has nothing to do with Elma. It's about a single character potentially being DLC, which to me feels more relevant in this thread.