1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sora, Banjo Kazooie, Rex or KOS-MOS, and someone from an unannounced new game coming next year. That's my guess. I'd rather not so many third parties but what can you do. Hope they do a second set down the line and maybe a couple of echoes, free or paid.

I'm starting to believe that Rex is solidly deconfirmed at this point. I already had an awful feeling when he showed up as a Mii costume but the DLC cycle this game is going for really doesn't do him any favors. From what I've heart it seems that the Nintendo executives are choosing the characters and I don't think artistic reasons are on their mind when they make such a decision. They will want characters that can market certain titles and a game that's already out for a year needs no additional marketing. And then there's Reggie's comment about Joker being ''emblematic'' of on the DLC approach. This likely means the new additions will be either surprise or third party character and Rex is neither of those. 

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm starting to believe that Rex is solidly deconfirmed at this point. I already had an awful feeling when he showed up as a Mii costume but the DLC cycle this game is going for really doesn't do him any favors. From what I've heart it seems that the Nintendo executives are choosing the characters and I don't think artistic reasons are on their mind when they make such a decision. They will want characters that can market certain titles and a game that's already out for a year needs no additional marketing. And then there's Reggie's comment about Joker being ''emblematic'' of on the DLC approach. This likely means the new additions will be either surprise or third party character and Rex is neither of those. 

I think if Rex doesn't get in then that means we're getting five third party characters, plus or minus maybe another Fire Emblem character or even a game we haven't heard much of yet (Metroid Prime 4 as an example). There just doesn't seem to be any character among the current Nintendo roster that seems more likely than him.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Based on what I know, you're more likely to have Jin or such in instead of Rex.

57 minutes ago, Eqstrian819 said:

Here are my guesses for DLC:

Some Fire Emblem character (May or may not be from Three Houses)

Spyro

Amaterasu

Gen 8 Pokémon 

Haha, we don't need another Pokemon. But then again I guess people could say the same thing about FE characters. I could see Spyro getting in though. 

6 minutes ago, Robin126 said:

Haha, we don't need another Pokemon. But then again I guess people could say the same thing about FE characters. I could see Spyro getting in though. 

I honestly would be surprised if they didn’t rep Gen 8 in some way. You’re right though, too many Pokémon lol

On 12/9/2018 at 12:03 AM, Jotari said:

True. It's just been a hot button topic in the past and I'm weary of making it a Rex centric thread.

Yes, costume from the last entry made it in as characters in the next entry. It's not a 1:1 comparison and I didn't imply it was. I said it meant that Rex was on their radar, which means they were thinking about and considering him and to me it's clear that the only reason he didn't get into the base game was the timing of his own game's release. I don't see why they would then decide against him for DLC unless there were five characters that were significantly more popular than him yet also couldn't get into the base game. 

I mean, I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that if DLC isn't all 3rd parties it'll just be marketing-based 1st parties-- i.e. Byleth and a Gen VIII Pokemon.

On 12/10/2018 at 3:29 PM, Jave said:

I swear at this point, I don’t think even a Digimon character is too far off. 

Joker didn’t open the door. He pretty much kicked the door open and broke every nearby window. 

Joker's really no different from Cloud (heck, I pretty much called it several months ago in this very thread). Mainline SMT = pre-VII FF games, Q2 = minor cameos in KH Chain of Memories and being part of the heard in Theatrhythm and Explorers. And Snake was basically Cloud before Cloud. 

If Joker kicked the door down, it's because people kept forgetting that it was knocked down for a reason and putting it back up.

Edited by The DanMan

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

I mean, I'm pretty thoroughly convinced that if DLC isn't all 3rd parties it'll just be marketing-based 1st parties-- i.e. Byleth and a Gen VIII Pokemon.

Joker's really no different from Cloud (heck, I pretty much called it several months ago in this very thread). Mainline SMT = pre-VII FF games, Q2 = minor cameos in KH Chain of Memories and being part of the heard in Theatrhythm and Explorers. And Snake was basically Cloud before Cloud. 

If Joker kicked the door down, it's because people kept forgetting that it was knocked down for a reason and putting it back up.

I would say Joker is quite a different case than Cloud, but I’m not having a discussion with you. 

29 minutes ago, Jave said:

I would say Joker is quite a different case than Cloud, but I’m not having a discussion with you. 

That comes off as kinda snide: "I'm not having a discussion with you but instead of just ignoring things I'm going to tell you I'm not having a discussion with you".

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

Hmm, why am I picturing someone from Guilty Gear?

There's two ports of older titles in the series releasing on Switch sometime in the distant future; maybe that's it?

Anyways, on the subject of actual predictions: if at least one of Sora, Dante, and Sans don't make it in I'll be stunned.

Dante's another "meme character" like Cloud and is from one of the two biggest Capcom series not represented in some fashion (and with the "no realistic guns" rule, an RE character would end up a bit too similar to Snake being mostly explosives and CQC). And with all of his Devil Arms and Styles to draw from, he's got incredible moveset potential.

Sora-- well, the fact he was rumored amongst heavy mumblings of an SE character revealed at the VGA already has my curiosity piqued. Would definitely require a bit more paperwork, but would also be a big surprise and recognizable/draw sales in compared to any form of Dragon Quest representation (or Octopath "has no future/makes no sense to promote because it was developed by the Bravely Team who've already teased another Bravely game" Traveler).

And Sans... well, he's from by far the biggest indie game in existence that's still indie and Toby Fox is apparently a Nintendo/Smash fan himself (IIRC a quote from Shigesait Itoi was featured in promotional material for Undertale, with Deltarune outright having a Smash reference); certainly a far greater chance than comparably obscure picks like Shantae (who's already relegated to the "glorified PNG file" crowd anyways).

6 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

That comes off as kinda snide: "I'm not having a discussion with you but instead of just ignoring things I'm going to tell you I'm not having a discussion with you" 

I just don’t want to get into any arguments with you. I voiced my thoughts in a rather half-joking manner. I really don’t want to delve any deeper into this. 

I still don't see a new Square character getting in tbh. Square's already incredibly stingy with the FF representation in Smash so what chance does any other Square IP have? And if they do get represented, it'll be a massive disservice.

Like, say we get Sora. We'd likely get Sora, a stage and just two songs. Sors's Fighter Spirit would just be his Smash render. Same thing with a Dragon Quest rep.

I'll wait and see but i don't have any hope that Square will get a new rep.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm starting to believe that Rex is solidly deconfirmed at this point

As much as it pains me, i'm starting to feel the same way. I don't think he's 100% deconfirmed but i'm leaning 65% towards that side of the debate now.

I am starting to lean morw towards Elma though because the Xenoblade X representation in the game is mysteriously lacking. Yeah, we have a few Spirits but there's zero XCX songs and none of the Xenoblade X characters are avaliable as Smash Tag icons.

The only other explanation for the lack of Xenoblade X music is that Sawano said no but he allowed Uncontrollable and Wir Fliegen to be in XC2 so i don't think he was being stingy.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I am starting to lean morw towards Elma though because the Xenoblade X representation in the game is mysteriously lacking. Yeah, we have a few Spirits but there's zero XCX songs and none of the Xenoblade X characters are avaliable as Smash Tag icons.

Or maybe because it's the black sheep of the series it just got nothing? Makes sense that it would be low priority, especially since Xenoblade in general is a bit more popular in the West and X was by far the most WRPG influenced game in the series. A port also isn't happening anytime soon so there's zero reason to even push it. It's not even a Dark Samus situation where something that was there is gone; it got a few Spirits and that was it (heck, the music was especially controversial early on-- and the fact that Classic and Spirits mode exclusively use the Japanese version of Lost in Thoughts has me thinking that Nintendo let vocal minorities sway them a bit).

12 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Or maybe because it's the black sheep of the series it just got nothing?

I doubt that was the reason. I don't think Sakurai cares about whether or not a game is a black sheep of a series. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten Fire Emblem Gaiden music since Brawl. 

Xenoblade only has 3.5 games, to basically just ignore one of them while representing the rest of the series is odd. It's not like Pokemon where, despite ignoring literally all the spin-offs, is still properly represented. And yes, it does bother me that the spin-offs are completely ignored, there's some damn good music in those.

Never mind the lack of Xenoblade X music though, Xenoblade itself only having 11 songs in the game is really odd when you consider that Sakurai prioritzed songs that would fit a fighting game.......which a majority of Xenoblade songs do.

6 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Unlike Joker and Cloud, Snake did have an original starring game on the gameboy, although if you'd asked me in 2007 which was the most likely (and Joker existed at the time) I would have ranked Snake at the bottom due to his character just not fitting the idea of Smash as well. I don't really bring up Snake's gameboy game as a point of contention though, I bring it up just to remind people that it exists and was surprisingly great.

It would be interesting to see Nintendo have some characters based of real people.

Some good candidates would be:

Bo Jackson (Famous for being very fast in Tecmo Super Bowl)

Mike Tyson (Appeared in Punch Out and could be a Little Mac echo)

Reggie, Iwata, or Sakurai 

The Undertaker (Has appeared in various WWF/WWE games for Nintendo)

I doubt this will happen because that's what Mii Fighters are for but it would still be compelling to see Nintendo take that direction. 

Edited by Cron

5 hours ago, Cron said:

It would be interesting to see Nintendo have some characters based of real people.

Some good candidates would be:

Bo Jackson (Famous for being very fast in Tecmo Super Bowl)

Mike Tyson (Appeared in Punch Out and could be a Little Mac echo)

Reggie, Iwata, or Sakurai 

The Undertaker (Has appeared in various WWF/WWE games for Nintendo)

I doubt this will happen because that's what Mii Fighters are for but it would still be compelling to see Nintendo take that direction. 

I believe that Sakurai said there would be no echo fighters. I highly doubt real life people would make it into Smash but it would be a nice tribute to Iwata if he were there. I think Sakurai already voices King Dedede so I guess he’s technically there lol.

Edited by Eqstrian819

55 minutes ago, Eqstrian819 said:

I believe that Sakurai said there would be no echo fighters.

He didn't. He said each challenger pack would contain a unique fighter.

Characters based on real people certainly won't happen, though.