1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

6 hours ago, Etheus said:

I know Erdrick has the hype train, but I'm expecting the Luminary. 2017 games seem to be in heavy consideration (considering Joker), which puts both Luminary and 2B in heavy contention in my eyes.

While I do feel like Erdrick would be a good idea, I could definitely see the Luminary to promote 11S, more. 2B also wouldn't surprise me. She's been getting a lot of focus, if memory serves. At least, she's already made an appearance in Soul Calibur 6, no? Regardless of who, if there is another Squeenix rep, they had better treat them better than Cloud.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dai said:

if there is another Squeenix rep, they had better treat them better than Cloud.

Of course they will, as Square Enix would get a bigger percentage of money than they did with Cloud, who's in the base game.

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

It's gonna be hard to top Banjo-Kazooie for sheer wow factor. What kind of character announcement could possibly be more meaningful and impactful than them?

Yooka-Laylee perhaps? Just kidding.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Here's hoping that one of the last two is Geralt of Rivia. Few characters deserve it more.

Geralt would be interesting. I made a whole thing about a potential moveset for him in another thread. Not sure how to incorporate the two swords though; perhaps he discards them both in favour of a Smash Sword?

So yeah; two left. I'm going to guess Geralt is one of them. I'm also willing to bet that there'll be a picture of Link protecting Zelda and Pit protecting Palutena from Geralt. Not one that Nintendo makes, but one that someone makes afterwards as a joke. 

As for the other... that's tricky... maybe Geno or whatever that puppet from Super Mario RPG is called?

Or, what about Wander from Shadow of the Colossus? Nah; his moveset would probably be too limited. 

30 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yooka-Laylee perhaps? Just kidding.

Geralt would be interesting. I made a whole thing about a potential moveset for him in another thread. Not sure how to incorporate the two swords though; perhaps he discards them both in favour of a Smash Sword?

So yeah; two left. I'm going to guess Geralt is one of them. I'm also willing to bet that there'll be a picture of Link protecting Zelda and Pit protecting Palutena from Geralt. Not one that Nintendo makes, but one that someone makes afterwards as a joke. 

As for the other... that's tricky... maybe Geno or whatever that puppet from Super Mario RPG is called?

Or, what about Wander from Shadow of the Colossus? Nah; his moveset would probably be too limited. 

The easiest way to do it would be to have him draw Steel when against multiple foes or human foes and Silver when against only non humans.

Or you could have them act differently. Silver does more damage and breaks shields. Steel does more knockback and has more reach.

23 minutes ago, Etheus said:

The easiest way to do it would be to have him draw Steel when against multiple foes or human foes and Silver when against only non humans.

Or you could have them act differently. Silver does more damage and breaks shields. Steel does more knockback and has more reach.

True... But how would you swap between them? My theoretical moveset already has standard b as using a potion and the other specials as different signs (I couldn't find room for that sign that makes traps as a result). 

Edited by vanguard333

3 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

True... But how would you swap between them? My theoretical moveset already has standard b as using a potion and the other specials as different signs (I couldn't find room for that sign that makes traps as a result). 

Maybe map all signs to a selection feature on neutral special. Like with Shulk.

Or down taunt to swap swords. Unintuitive perhaps, but it works.

Or it could just be an automatic aesthetic thing based on who his opponents are at the start of the match. In which case, just there for flavor.

Edited by Etheus

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Maybe map all signs to a selection feature on neutral special. Like with Shulk.

Perhaps. But then what would be Geralt's up special? My theory was that his up special would be him firing Yrden downward to propel himself upward. 

Axii - Grab

Quen - Shield

Yrden - Neutral Special

Igni - Side Special

Aard - Up special

Potion - Down Special

Just have sword selection be something he does based on foe. Or based on a taunt. It wouldn't need any gameplay benefit. It's a pretty small part of playing Geralt anyway.

Edited by Etheus

So the #1 requested Nintendo character(K. Rool) and the #1 requested non-Nintendo character(Banjo) are in Smash Ultimate.

It's really hard to see where they go from here.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

So the #1 requested Nintendo character(K. Rool) and the #1 requested non-Nintendo character(Banjo) are in Smash Ultimate.

TBH, this just about sums up why I think having every playable character in Smash Bros. history on the roster (plus newcomers!) was a bad idea in the long run.

I believe eventually future Smash Bros. games will find themselves grasping at straws to try and satisfy everyone with more and more newcomers.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Axii - Grab

Quen - Shield

Yrden - Neutral Special

Igni - Side Special

Aard - Up special

Potion - Down Special

Just have sword selection be something he does based on foe. Or based on a taunt. It wouldn't need any gameplay benefit. It's a pretty small part of playing Geralt anyway.

That sounds like a good idea. I would just swap around Yrden and Potion. 

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Well, if I recall correctly, Geno from Super Mario RPG was highly requested. They could do that. After that, I'm sure people would be hyped by Geralt being in Smash Bros. 

Or they could do what Playtonic did and choose Yooka-Laylee as a semi-clone of Banjo-Kazooie. 

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Well, if I recall correctly, Geno from Super Mario RPG was highly requested.  They could do that.

Geno is such a small presence in the greater scope of the Mario series, though.  I can't see him getting in as anything other than an Assist Trophy, like Skull Kid and Ghirahim.

Don't remember what I predicted before, but I'm expecting Jill from Resident Evil, and I guess either a Namco rep or some other 3rd party that I know little about but everyone probably loves or something

21 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

That sounds like a good idea. I would just swap around Yrden and Potion. 

Well, if I recall correctly, Geno from Super Mario RPG was highly requested. They could do that. After that, I'm sure people would be hyped by Geralt being in Smash Bros. 

Or they could do what Playtonic did and choose Yooka-Laylee as a semi-clone of Banjo-Kazooie. 

You're right. That would also allow for a potion selection wheel like with Shulk.

That would make Geralt a fairly complex character, but I think he should be precisely that.

Only two characters left. At this point I am predicting a Capcom and Bandai Namco rep, preferably Phoenix Wright from Capcom (would make a nice reveal at TGS) and Nightmare/Siegfried from Soulcalibur.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If we are gonna get a Capcom rep, it will be Dante

Absolutely not.  Devil May Cry has not had a single game on a Nintendo platform.  Even characters like Cloud and Joker got to appear in a spin-off game on a Nintendo platform at the times they were introduced into Smash Bros.

That would be funny, though.  Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I'd be down for Phoenix Wright. He was in one of the Marvel vs Capcom games, iirc, so you can't say he can't fit in a fighting game.

It'd still be quite the amusing image...

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Dante has been essentially deconfirmed, since the series director stated that before Dante can be in Smash, one of his games needs to be on a Nintendo system first. This comment was made back in February, and since the DLC roster had already been chosen by then, it heavily implies Dante isn't among them.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Pretty bold statement but I think if a new Capcom rep is coming a character from Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter and even Okami all have good chances. Like the person above said, Dante is looking unlikely based on what the Devil May Cry director said.