1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

40 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Absolutely not.  Devil May Cry has not had a single game on a Nintendo platform.  Even characters like Cloud and Joker got to appear in a spin-off game on a Nintendo platform at the times they were introduced into Smash Bros.

By that logic Dante would be in the running for Smash Bros since Dante has been featured in games like Project X Zone which was on the 3DS. I still don't think he's going to make it in the roster, but he's popular enough to be more likely than most other Capcom characters. I think a Monster Hunter character would make the most sense for another Capcom rep seeing as the franchise is more popular than ever, plus it's had a long run of Nintendo exclusive titles.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

By that logic Dante would be in the running for Smash Bros since Dante has been featured in games like Project X Zone which was on the 3DS.

I was not aware he was in Project X Zone.  I was looking strictly at Devil May Cry games.

8 hours ago, Etheus said:

Here's hoping that one of the last two is Geralt of Rivia. Few characters deserve it more.

Honestly there's tons of others that deserve it more, in my opinion. I don't think Geralt really deserves it at ALL. Characters like Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Write, Professor Layton, Spyro, someone from Tekken, heck even someone from Resident Evil all would be more deserving, I think. Not to mention the sizable number of Nintendo all-stars that aren't in the game (Lyn, Dixie Kong, Impa, etc.).

4 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Honestly there's tons of others that deserve it more, in my opinion. I don't think Geralt really deserves it at ALL. Characters like Crash Bandicoot, Phoenix Write, Professor Layton, Spyro, someone from Tekken, heck even someone from Resident Evil all would be more deserving, I think. Not to mention the sizable number of Nintendo all-stars that aren't in the game (Lyn, Dixie Kong, Impa, etc.).

I find it hard not to laugh at the idea of Professor Leyton, Impa, Dixie Kong, a random Tekken character, and Lyn deserving it more than the protagonist of one of the greatest and most iconic RPGs of all time. Not one character you mentioned deserves it more. At best, someone like Crash, Spyro, or Phoenix Wright might deserve it to a comparable degree.

Edited by Etheus

14 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I find it hard not to laugh at the idea of Professor Leyton, Impa, Dixie Kong, a random Tekken character, and Lyn deserving it more than the protagonist of one of the greatest and most iconic RPGs of all time. Not one character you mentioned deserves it more. At best, someone like Crash, Spyro, or Phoenix Wright might deserve it to a comparable degree.

And I find it hard not to laugh at the absurdity of Geralt deserving it more than anyone I mentioned. Lol. Every single character I mentioned deserves it more if you know literally anything about both the history of gaming and ties towards Nintendo, whether it be as a rival in the past or a buddy-buddy series.

Layton has been a staple of Nintendo handhelds for a very long time, Impa is a major character in one of Nintendo's most important franchises ever, Dixie Kong has been BEGGED for for ages, Lyn is literally one of the most popular Fire Emblem characters and would be an "all-star" of FE and Nintendo all-stars ALWAYS trump anyone else in any kind of "deserving" factor, Tekken was literally one of the most progressive franchises of all time for 3D fighting and its three chief characters (Heihachi, Kazuya, Jin) are all super deserving, Resident Evil is literally THE horror series of gaming, etc. etc. etc. Everything there trumps anything Geralt has done.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

26 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I know The Witcher is a popular and successful series but I do think you're overselling it here. At the very least Professor Layton and Dixie Kong deserve a Smash debut before Geralt, as well as those three you mentioned. (I'd throw Lyn in as well if there weren't already so many FE characters in Smash)

11 minutes ago, Florete said:

I know The Witcher is a popular and successful series but I do think you're overselling it here. At the very least Professor Layton and Dixie Kong deserve a Smash debut before Geralt, as well as those three you mentioned. (I'd throw Lyn in as well if there weren't already so many FE characters in Smash)

And I disagree. Kind of the nature of subjectivity. The greatest western RPG of this console generation (if not ever) vs. a one off Fire Emblem character from an over decade old game, a niche detective series, a lawyer who hasn't seen a new game in ages, and some mascot platformers who haven't seen anything more than a remake in recent years. I do not see the comparison. At all.

Fuck it. If Sonic the Hedgehog were to be considered a new character today, I'd question his relevance. His legacy, after all, includes a few loved games from the stone ages, and then a bunch of mostly-embarassingly-bad games over the past decade. To say nothing of Crash and Spyro with their own lack of new modern games and inconsistent release quality.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

And I disagree. Kind of the nature of subjectivity. The greatest western RPG of this console generation (if not ever) vs. a one off Fire Emblem character from an over decade old game, a niche detective series, a lawyer who hasn't seen a new game in ages, and some mascot platformers who haven't seen anything more than a remake in recent years. I do not see the comparison. At all.

If we were talking about any old crossover, I'd agree with you. But we're not. This is Super Smash Bros., a series built on bringing Nintendo characters together. As far as relevancy and history with Nintendo goes, Geralt has little to nothing, not even in a competitive sense like, say, Master Chief might have, since Master Chief is basically the mascot of one of Nintendo's rivals.

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Fuck it. If Sonic the Hedgehog were to be considered a new character today, I'd question his relevance. His legacy, after all, includes a few loved games from the stone ages, and then a bunch of mostly-embarassingly-bad games over the past decade. To say nothing of Crash and Spyro with their own lack of new modern games and inconsistent release quality.

Yeah you're definitely, DEFINITELY overselling Witcher ("greatest western RPG yadda yadda yadd") and DEFINITELY underselling literally everyone else. You can elect to not see the comparison, but it's certainly there, and it isn't as subjective as you say.

But you're clearly not interested in actually considering worth beyond modern relevancy, something Smash has basically proven to not use as the major inclusion factor several times over. So, cool beans, good day to you sir.

5 minutes ago, Florete said:

If we were talking about any old crossover, I'd agree with you. But we're not. This is Super Smash Bros., a series built on bringing Nintendo characters together. As far as relevancy and history with Nintendo goes, Geralt has little to nothing, not even in a competitive sense like, say, Master Chief might have, since Master Chief is basically the mascot of one of Nintendo's rivals.

Does that argument matter anymore? At all? Persona's only "history" with Nintendo is spinoffs. Cloud was literally the first Final Fantasy character to not call Nintendo home. Snake had little Nintendo history.

It's a stretch to call Smash a Nintendo crossover anymore. It's more of a gaming crossover that just happens to mostly be Nintendo characters. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to personal perspective. I'm fine with it either way, frankly.

Edited by Etheus

7 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Does that argument matter anymore? At all? Persona's only "history" with Nintendo is spinoffs. Cloud was literally the first Final Fantasy character to not call Nintendo home. Snake had little Nintendo history.

It's a stretch to call Smash a Nintendo crossover anymore. It's more of a gaming crossover that just happens to mostly be Nintendo characters. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to personal perspective. I'm fine with it either way, frankly.

Naturally, it all comes down to personal perspective. I don't think a character like Joker deserved to get into Smash before Dixie, but I don't decide the roster. I don't think Geralt deserves to get in before her, either, but will he? Ask Sakurai.

Just now, Florete said:

Naturally, it all comes down to personal perspective. I don't think a character like Joker deserved to get into Smash before Dixie, but I don't decide the roster. I don't think Geralt deserves to get in before her, either, but will he? Ask Sakurai.

I do think that Joker deserved to get in before Dixie. And damn near anyone else, for that matter. I love that Joker is in the game, ane au think he adds a lot to it. That is my perspective.

I would not openly wish for the uninclusion of Dixie. That's just mean. It's just up to Sakurai and Nintendo to determine whether or not she brings enough to the table to warrant the time and resources not being spent on someone else. Maybe she is. Maybe she isn't. *Shrugs.*

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I do think that Joker deserved to get in before Dixie. And damn near anyone else, for that matter. I love that Joker is in the game, ane au think he adds a lot to it. That is my perspective.

I would not openly wish for the uninclusion of Dixie. That's just mean. It's just up to Sakurai and Nintendo to determine whether or not she brings enough to the table to warrant the time and resources not being spent on someone else. Maybe she is. Maybe she isn't. *Shrugs.*

Don't really care if you think Joker deserved it more, but "damn near anyone else"? That's pushing it. Dixie is a popular and important part of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I realize the idea of who "deserves" to be in Smash is kind of a lost cause in the first place but there's gotta be a limit to what rando Joe Schmo should actually be getting in ahead of her.

11 minutes ago, Florete said:

Don't really care if you think Joker deserved it more, but "damn near anyone else"? That's pushing it. Dixie is a popular and important part of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. I realize the idea of who "deserves" to be in Smash is kind of a lost cause in the first place but there's gotta be a limit to what rando Joe Schmo should actually be getting in ahead of her.

Don't really care that you don't care. We all have our biases, and that's a good thing. It makes the world go round. I don't care about your positive Dixie bias any more than you care about my positive Joker bias. Must I attach "IMOs" to every statement I make? I rather hope not. It would make conversation a lot more tedious.

And every random Joe Schmo is a bit of a loaded statement. That character who you perceive as random could have a passionate following. I mean, let's put it this way. There are over 700 Pokemon. Literally all of them are random Joe Schmos in that context. We've just arbitrarily picked a few to put on a higher pedastal, sometimes even before their game comes out.

Joker isn't a Joe Schmo. He's the main character of a VERY successful JRPG. An excellent JRPG. A JRPG that essentially repopularized the entire genre in the west when it was in a slump period. And that inclusion, like it or not, has brought with it a considerable new audience, new (fucking awesome) music, and a new and unique stage.

Edited by Etheus

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Don't really care that you don't care. We all have our biases, and that's a good thing. It makes the world go round. I don't care about your positive Dixie bias any more than you care about my positive Joker bias. Must I attach "IMOs" to every statement I make? I rather hope not. It would make conversation a lot more tedious.

I, uh, don't know what the purpose of this paragraph is...And I fear that if I write what I assume is the thought behind it, you wouldn't like it.

I think this discussion has lost its focus. I could respond more, but I'm not really interested in it, so I'll leave it here.

I think Skyrim's Dragonborn is more likely than Geralt. Lots of moveset and costume potential thanks to the various weapons, armor, and magic.

Skins:

• Male, Iron/Studded Armor and Iron Weapons
  • Female, Iron Armor and Weapons
  • Male, Steel Armor and Weapons
  • Female, Steel Armor and Weapons
  • Male, Elven Armor and Weapons
  • Female, Elven Armor and Weapons
  • Male, Dragonscale Armor and Dragonbone Weapons
  • Female, Dragonscale Armor and Dragonbone Weapons

My original four were Arle, Phoenix Wright, Shantae and Banjo-Kazooie. I got one of those, but lost a spot.

So I'm sticking with Arle and Phoenix for the final two. Sorry Shantae, I'd love it if you make it in, but I like the other two better and I believe they have the better shot.

I'm still pretty much all in on my assumption that it's gonna be all 3rd parties. However i'm not sure at all who they'll decide for the next 2. 

I feel like if Capcom gets another it'll be between Resident Evil and Devil May Cry, if Namco gets someone it'll be between Soul Calibur, Tales and maybe Dark Souls? 

But besides that I have no clear guesses, even those are rather loose.

12 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I believe it’d be appropriate to change the title to “2 more DLC characters”.

12 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yes; I honestly don't know why it hasn't been updated yet. 

Moving everything one owns to another country keeps one occupied.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Moving everything one owns to another country keeps one occupied.

Ah; that explains it. Sorry if I sounded ungrateful; I was actually just curious. 

It would be a shame if all the fighters were 3rd Party. Then again; I can't think of a notable Nintendo series that hasn't yet been represented in Smash Bros. One thing about the three fighter so far is that they're all from different series that didn't yet have any fighters. So, I guess they probably will be all 3rd party.