1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

Just some thoughts here, If Nintendo really wants to push Three Houses, they could actually release a tied in free fighter a few months from now that's not part of paid pass. Like sometime near the end of release hype to maintain the sales longer.

Same applies to Pokemon Gen 8.

Since if it's free, no one really has reason to complain "stealing a spot". And even if only a minority of Smash players dip into FE16/PM afterward, that's still a major financial gain.

Edited by Timlugia

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Just some thoughts here, If Nintendo really wants to push Three Houses, they could actually release a tied in free fighter a few months from now that's not part of paid pass. Like sometime near the end of release hype to maintain the sales longer.

Same applies to Pokemon Gen 8.

Since if it's free, no one really has reason to complain "stealing a spot". And even if only a minority of Smash players dip into FE16/PM afterward, that's still a major financial gain.

While I do think there is a possibility that there could be DLC characters added into the game outside of the Fighter Pass they wouldn't release them for free. That's too much easy money for Nintendo to pass up. Even Piranha Plant costs $6.99 if you didn't get the free download code within a specific timespan in the early months of the game. Plus, even if they were somehow free people would still complain it wasn't Dixie Kong/Bandana Dee/Impa/whoever regardless.

At this point, I'm almost positive the 4th DLC character is Ryu Hayabusa. As for the 5th..well, needless to say, we can only keep speculating.

Edited by Perkilator

The Knight from Hollow Knight is looking slightly more likely now. The game sold extremely well (I think it outsold Shovel Knight [2.8 mil to 2+ mil, respectively]), and Silksong is almost a Switch exclusive. Hornet would be cool too.

Edited by GreatKnightEcho

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone else than the avatar from Three Houses would surprise me. Since with the introduction of the Monado techniques it would be a great opportunity to give them different weapon types to be different than all the existing FE characters. A FE character with a wielding axe in Smash would be definitely refreshing. 

Welp, after playing Three Houses for only three chapters and a few hours put in, I can safely say this is the best FE game yet. It might as well have earned a character in Smash, in my opinion.

So, I guess it isn't just one fighter left after all. I mean; there's only one left for this season of DLC, but there's going to be yet another round of DLC Fighters. Just when you thought the roster couldn't get any larger...

By the way; who is the 4th fighter? I saw the direct, but, during the whole reveal, I was thinking, "Who is this guy?" 

35 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

By the way; who is the 4th fighter? I saw the direct, but, during the whole reveal, I was thinking, "Who is this guy?" 

Terry Bogard is pretty much the poster character of SNK. Back in the 90's arcade boom they were easily one of the best developers in the business, especially their fighting games which could rival even Capcom's best works. SNK is not as prevalent nowadays, but with the recent revival of Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters XV in development, and now Terry in Super Smash Bros. I'd say they're looking to make a big comeback within the next few years.

1 hour ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Terry Bogard is pretty much the poster character of SNK. Back in the 90's arcade boom they were easily one of the best developers in the business, especially their fighting games which could rival even Capcom's best works. SNK is not as prevalent nowadays, but with the recent revival of Samurai Showdown, King of Fighters XV in development, and now Terry in Super Smash Bros. I'd say they're looking to make a big comeback within the next few years.

Ah. That makes sense. I was never a fighting game person, so that would explain why I knew nothing about him. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Ah. That makes sense. I was never a fighting game person, so that would explain why I knew nothing about him. 

SNK and Capcom have crossed over a number of times too, so this is kind of a small reunion for Terry in regards to Ryu and Ken too. Heck and Megaman, because the card fighters.

Edited by Jedi

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Terry Bogard had pretty much no speculation/leaks behind him that I'm aware of. So that throws the various leakers into question here.

So, I'm going to dare to hope for someone not in the popular leaks. My pie in the sky pick.

Dante.

My Pie in the Sky is Travis Touchdown. But with his third game getting released earlier this year with little fan fair, it seems even more unlikely than Dante 😞

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Terry Bogard had pretty much no speculation/leaks behind him that I'm aware of. So that throws the various leakers into question here.

So, I'm going to dare to hope for someone not in the popular leaks. My pie in the sky pick.

Dante.

My pie in the sky pick is Sora. When the Hero was announced, I made peace with Sora likely not getting in until a future game. With the recent announcement, however, my hope was restored...albeit not by too much.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

Dante.

Dante, as in, DMC Dante? If so, I agree.

Just now, Etheus said:

Is there any other?

I suppose not, but I wanted to make sure. It would be awesome, though, since he's so versatile, it would interesting to see what they would come up with.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Is there any other?

Yep yep yep! Though I imagine if you called EA about it they wouldn't remember the game or its development studio they shut down just a year or two ago. It was a shameless God of War clone, but if you're gonna plagiarize, pick the best.

Edited by Glennstavos

Terry is in which means there is one more DLC character left (for the season pass anyways). I am still going to guess Phoenix Wright is going to be the next playable Capcom rep for Smash whether it is part of the season pass or one of the individual packs. I firmly believe that Ace Attorney has more of a shot getting a playable rep in Smash compared to Devil May Cry, Resident Evil or Monster Hunter.

18 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Terry is in which means there is one more DLC character left (for the season pass anyways). I am still going to guess Phoenix Wright is going to be the next playable Capcom rep for Smash whether it is part of the season pass or one of the individual packs. I firmly believe that Ace Attorney has more of a shot getting a playable rep in Smash compared to Devil May Cry, Resident Evil or Monster Hunter.

Is there a reason for why you think Phoenix Wright is likely? Or at least likelier than other characters? Because I've seen him mentioned quite a few times before as a possibilty but I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking or if it's because there's some actual reasoning behind it.

2 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Is there a reason for why you think Phoenix Wright is likely? Or at least likelier than other characters? Because I've seen him mentioned quite a few times before as a possibilty but I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking or if it's because there's some actual reasoning behind it.

I have seen more online support and fan demand for Phoenix Wright to be put in Smash than any other Capcom property. Not as loud as Ridley, K Rool, Geno or Banjo but it's there. On the online fan polls I have seen (Reddit/Smashboard/Tumblr) Wright has always ranked higher than other Capcom characters as to who they want to see in Smash. And Sakurai tends to go for fan demand instead of series that sold the most so...Also in terms of third parties in general, he is basically behind Sora, Geno and Rayman as the most wanted third party character that isn't playable in Smash.

Plus in a way, like with Dragon Quest and Banjo,  Ace Attorney has a long history of being on Nintendo systems and I have seen people mistake Ace Attorney as a Nintendo property. I just think Phoenix Wright wouldn't look out of place in the Smash universe compared to Dante or anyone from Resident Evil and I can just imagine Sakurai trying to make a wacky moveset out of someone known for screaming text bubbles and pointing fingers at people. Also, the amazing Ace Attorney soundtracks that would come with him would be great.

Also, at this point he is pretty much the only character outside of a Three Houses rep that I like that has a realistic shot of being playable in Smash.

Edited by NSSKG151

This roster is so spectacular, and Terry hyped me up a lot, (still not quite on the level Sonic did in Brawl but it was certainly up there). 

I'm gonna be satisfied with whoever is left. My pipedream character at this point is Adol Christin from Ys though.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'm gonna be satisfied with whoever is left. My pipedream character at this point is Adol Christin from Ys though.

That would be cool; another redheaded swordsman would be cool to see (I mean that genuinely; I am a redhead, and I don't like Roy because he's just a Marth clone). Just wondering since I have yet to actually play the Ys games; what would potentially set him apart from other fighters?

Unless they had plans to release more than 5 DLC characters from the start and kept this info hidden from the public, I think the last character has to be someone extremely spectacular with the intention to end things on a high note.