1 more DLC characters, place your bets now. Seems we're only getting third parties this time round

Jotari

My guesses are as follows.

1).  A Fire Emblem Rep - Simply put, compared to most other Nintendo IPs with recent/upcoming titles, Fire Emblem is the one that is most likely- but the question is who would it be?  Honestly, there are quite a few good choices- the most likely one would be a Three Houses Rep(hopefully Edelgard for the axe and not Byleth) to promote that game, and the timing would make sense.  Although I can't help but feel a Heroes rep likely as well.  Yes, its on a non-Nintendo platform, but they are still Nintendo characters from Nintendo's most successful mobile experience, and imagine how cool and different a move set for someone like Kiran could be, a projectile character with the gimmick of calling upon different FE characters for attacks, or Fjorm as an ice-based lance fighter, or Sharena as a lance-fighter in general, or this games version of Anna.  Either way I see an FE rep happening, and I don't think Heroes should be counted out just because it is a mobile game.

2).  A Xenoblade rep-  This one is probably going to be Elma, due to the fact that Xenoblade Chronicles is becoming more popular as we speak, and with Rex seemingly not in the game, along with other potential XC2 candidates, Elma really has the best chance, plus she could be a potentially very unique and different fighter hit an emphasis on quick movement and gun play, almost a type of hit and run style.  Although, Rex may still have a chance later on and shouldn't necessarily be discounted, especially with the next point I will bring up.

3).  A fan requested Nintendo character- with a catch... - Pretty self explanatory, could be anyone from Nintendo. 

Although, in case In case you don't know, we got a small glimpse of Robin's Final Smash with the video below... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un44CDKDqIY - Did you notice?  Chrom is still part of Robin's Final Smash.  Which makes Chrom not only a playable character, he's also part of another character's Final Smash, meaning there's a chance for Chrom to actually beat himself up - which explains why they never showed off Robin's Final Smash before this point.  On a serious note, as you can tell this potentially opens up a huge amount of possibilities, and it's now not out of the realm to see perhaps some character's that got 'deconfirmed', to have a new chance in the spotlight- like perhaps Waluigi and Isaac.  Now of course, they could likely replace the Chrom in Robin's final smash with another FE character... or Alfonzo,  if playable Chrom is on screen, but it really does raise a ton of questions.  Could we potentially see formal assist trophies become playable characters, while still maintaining AT status? Does Rex and other Mii costumes maybe have a chance after all? How do Spirits factor into this?

4).  A heavily requested third party character - Again, pretty self explanatory, could be anyone; though I will say the one I most want would be Sora.

5).  A Pokemon Rep for Next Gen - I feel this is another safe bet, Pokemon is huge enough that they could add in one of the starters from the next Pokemon game on Switch as a playable character to promote its release, as they sort of did with Greninja and Incineroar, having them planned before the release of their respective generations, only this time, it would be a DLC character.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, Lightchao42 said:

Was Rex's Mii outfit made specifically for the Fighter Pass?

I think we may actually have an anwser today. Livestream footage confirms that there is a Nia Mii Costume in the game Miia as well as a Nia and Morag Spirit. This means that, regardless of whether or not you get the Season Pass, there is already XC2 content in the game. If that's true, then the Zeke, Tora, and Pyra Spirits, as well as the XC2 music tracks, are likely in the base game as well.

Considering all that, it actually makes sense that the Rex Costume was developed alongside all of that and simply decided to make it a Season Pass bonus.

In other words, no, Rex's Mii Costume was not made specifically for the Fighter Pass.

Edited by Armagon

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think we may actually have an anwser today. Livestream footage confirms that there is a Nia Mii Costume in the game Miia as well as a Nia and Morag Spirit. This means that, regardless of whether or not you get the Season Pass, there is already XC2 content in the game. If that's true, then the Zeke, Tora, and Pyra Spirits, as well as the XC2 music tracks, are likely in the base game as well.

Considering all that, it actually makes sense that the Rex Costume was developed alongside all of that and simply decided to make it a Season Pass bonus.

In other words, no, Rex's Mii Costume was not made specifically for the Fighter Pass.

So with this information in mind, we can infer that "Xenoblade 2 was released too late so we made Rex a Mii outfit instead" only applies to the base game, and that it was created with the assumption that there would be no DLC. We also know that Rex was chosen for the Fighters Pass as a "desirable bonus" over any other Mii outfit in the base game.

And really, the only reason for Rex to not be included is that Sakurai somehow wants to add five other characters more than him, but we don't know if the five Fighters Pass characters have been chosen yet. And if Sakurai does want to add him, maybe the Mii outfit is a bonus to "hold people over" until then? Regardless, I don't take it as a "Rex definitely won't be playable" statement like some people do.

Edited by Lightchao42

12 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So with this information in mind, we can infer that "Xenoblade 2 was released too late so we made Rex a Mii outfit instead" only applies to the base game, and that it was created with the assumption that there would be no DLC. We also know that Rex was chosen for the Fighters Pass as a "desirable bonus" over any other Mii outfit in the base game.

And really, the only reason for Rex to not be included is that Sakurai somehow wants to add five other characters more than him, but we don't know if the five Fighters Pass characters have been chosen yet. And if Sakurai does want to add him, maybe the Mii outfit is a bonus to "hold people over" until then? Regardless, I don't take it as a "Rex definitely won't be playable" statement like some people do.

There's also something really interesting about the Rex costume and that's how detailed it is. The fire on the sword is actually animated and there's even a full Gramps model on the helmet. No other Mii Costume has that level of detail so it's possible that they are using this as "test assets" for when Rex actually gets put into the game.

Also, i think Rex actually doesn't have a lot of competition. Like you said before, it's unlikely that they've decided the DLC lineup yet and a lot of the popular Ballot picks have already gotten Thanos'd during the Assist Trophy section. There's still competition with Banjo and Geno but a good chunk of the competition got hard deconfirmed so if anything, that helps Rex's chances.

Unless Sakurai is still mostly exclusively looking at the Ballot, which i doubt because the DLC runs up to 2020 and Sakurai acknowledged that games came after Ultimate's planning was finalized.

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

I was gonna say somebody from Resident Evil, but it'd be really hard to do that without guns. Best chance would to actually have a tyrant like Nemesis.

But Nemesis getting in over somebody like Chris, Leon or Jill is slim to none. I'd also put Chris above Leon for the most part, bit that's a different deal altogether.

My thinking for Leon is that his games had debuts on Nintendo platforms, RE4 is coming to Switch in 2019 (perfect timing), and RE2 is getting a full remake for 2019 as well. I wager that a Direct that showcases Resident Evil stuff (particularly RE4 port) also announces him as DLC, not unlike how Cloud's reveal featured some FF stuff.

36 minutes ago, Johann said:

My thinking for Leon is that his games had debuts on Nintendo platforms, RE4 is coming to Switch in 2019 (perfect timing), and RE2 is getting a full remake for 2019 as well. I wager that a Direct that showcases Resident Evil stuff (particularly RE4 port) also announces him as DLC, not unlike how Cloud's reveal featured some FF stuff.

True, but Chris is the closest thing to a main "protagonist" of the franchise, and Capcom likes to use him as the series representative. If it was Nintendo's choice, I could see Leon. If it was Capcom's, I'd say probably Chris.

Either way, I doubt they'd get in, because guns.

Just now, Slumber said:

True, but Chris is the closest thing to a main "protagonist" of the franchise, and Capcom likes to use him as the series representative. If it was Nintendo's choice, I could see Leon. If it was Capcom's, I'd say probably Chris.

bayonnetta uses guns and she got in

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris or Jill over Leon, I just figure he's the most popular character in the series. And yeah the guns and graphic nature of the series doesn't help, but I still figure it's a strong contender over all, being one of Capcom's big ones and getting plenty of Nintendo love lately.

17 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I know that’s why I said a dream list

I know it aint gonna happen 

Even for a dream list, it still has to be somewhat plausible. I know that Phoenix Wright has virtually no chance of being a DLC character, but he's still infinitely more possible than a character who is in as an AT.

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Even for a dream list, it still has to be somewhat plausible. I know that Phoenix Wright has virtually no chance of being a DLC character, but he's still infinitely more possible than a character who is in as an AT.

dude the point wasnt for a list of characters i think will get in, since they haven't even decided who is going to be DLC.

the point was a list of characters i would "want" to see despite an AT. Id love it if Girahim was promoted from AT but its not going to happen

27 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

bayonnetta uses guns and she got in

There's a difference to how Bayo uses her guns and how most video game characters use guns. They're not her main way of dealing damage, they're colored like nerf guns, and they're magic. It's cartoony and over the top, compared to the RE way of handling guns, where they're typically used to pop heads.

It's the same reason the Star Fox characters can use their blasters, Samus has her Arm Cannon, and you can use the Super Scope as a weapon, but Snake has to use CQC and various other weapons that aren't guns, even though his most iconic weapon is a pistol.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

There's a difference to how Bayo uses her guns and how most video game characters use guns. They're not her main way of dealing damage, they're colored like nerf guns, and they're magic. It's cartoony and over the top, compared to the RE way of handling guns, where they're typically used to pop heads.

It's the same reason the Star Fox characters can use their blasters, Samus has her Arm Cannon, and you can use the Super Scope as a weapon, but Snake has to use CQC and various other weapons that aren't guns, even though his most iconic weapon is a pistol.

My point, and I should have made that clear my bad

is that while her guns do is magic they are still far closer to an actual gun than say Fox’s blaster. As in they shoot an actual bullet.

now if the actual bullets themselves are magical then I suppose I am wrong (forgive me to been a bit since I played bayonetta) but they seem like just regular bullets.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

By that logic, would you say, hypothetically, that someone from Valkyria Chronicles wouldn't be able to get in because guns? Just trying to better understand where you draw the line on guns and Smash Bros.

8 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

By that logic, would you say, hypothetically, that someone from Valkyria Chronicles wouldn't be able to get in because guns? Just trying to better understand where you draw the line on guns and Smash Bros.

I would say that realistically, there wouldn't be VC characters in Smash.

My line is:

Are the guns real and doing real damage in a way that is analogous to how they do damage in real life? If yes, then they're probably off the table for Smash.

Are the guns not at all based in reality and only serve a function in the game they're in? Then they're probably fine.

EDIT: However, VC also has plenty of guns and weaponry that aren't at all based in reality, so it might work to some degree.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I would say that realistically, there wouldn't be VC characters in Smash.

My line is:

Are the guns real and doing real damage in a way that is analogous to how they do damage in real life? If yes, then they're probably off the table for Smash.

Are the guns not at all based in reality and only serve a function in the game they're in? Then they're probably fine.

Got it. I should probably change my list of five fighters that I personally hope will be the DLC fighters then.

What about a cannon? Would a cannon be okay (for instance, in a final smash)?

Just now, vanguard333 said:

Got it. I should probably change my list of five fighters that I personally hope will be the DLC fighters then.

What about a cannon? Would a cannon be okay (for instance, in a final smash)?

Cannons are fine. K. Rool has a cannon.

It's pretty much just realistic firearms like rifles, machine guns, pistols, shotguns, etc. that I wouldn't expect to see in the game.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Cannons are fine. K. Rool has a cannon.

It's pretty much just realistic firearms like rifles, machine guns, pistols, shotguns, etc. that I wouldn't expect to see in the game.

Right; I forgot K. Rool's cannon (and Bowser Jr.'s).

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

There's also something really interesting about the Rex costume and that's how detailed it is. The fire on the sword is actually animated and there's even a full Gramps model on the helmet. No other Mii Costume has that level of detail so it's possible that they are using this as "test assets" for when Rex actually gets put into the game.

Also, i think Rex actually doesn't have a lot of competition. Like you said before, it's unlikely that they've decided the DLC lineup yet and a lot of the popular Ballot picks have already gotten Thanos'd during the Assist Trophy section. There's still competition with Banjo and Geno but a good chunk of the competition got hard deconfirmed so if anything, that helps Rex's chances.

Unless Sakurai is still mostly exclusively looking at the Ballot, which i doubt because the DLC runs up to 2020 and Sakurai acknowledged that games came after Ultimate's planning was finalized.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

^What I've been saying the whole time^ The Rex costume doesn't deconfrim him, it makes him the most likely candidate

This is all like an exact copy-paste of arguments used regarding K. Rool's Mii costume in Smash 4 and the possibility of him becoming playable. Seriously, it's like I'm re-reading posts from three years ago.

Rex being a bonus for the fighter pass tells me they already decided he won't be one of the five DLC fighters, whether they've chosen them or not.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

This is all like an exact copy-paste of arguments used regarding K. Rool's Mii costume in Smash 4 and the possibility of him becoming playable. Seriously, it's like I'm re-reading posts from three years ago.

Rex being a bonus for the fighter pass tells me they already decided he won't be one of the five DLC fighters, whether they've chosen them or not.

Yeah but the difference here is that K. Rool's costume was created during Smash 4's DLC development cycle because Sakurai never planned on adding him, while Rex's costume was most likely created for the base game without DLC in mind.

Edited by Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

Yeah but the difference here is that K. Rool's costume was created during Smash 4's DLC development cycle, while Rex's costume was most likely created for the base game without DLC in mind.

Maybe, but it's only obtained through buying DLC.

36 minutes ago, Florete said:

I don't recall K.Rool's costume being as detailed as Rex's.

32 minutes ago, Florete said:

Maybe, but it's only obtained through buying DLC.

Yeah but the real question is why? Especially when there's already XC2 content in the game, including a Nia costume. 

Mind you, i still have very little hope but i'd rather be an optimist and not give up.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't recall K.Rool's costume being as detailed as Rex's.

People talked about the model used and the level of detail in it as "evidence" that it was "preparation" for the real thing.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but the real question is why? Especially when there's already XC2 content in the game, including a Nia costume. 

I don't know, but "holding people over for the real thing" is really far down on my list of plausible reasons.

29 minutes ago, Florete said:

People talked about the model used and the level of detail in it as "evidence" that it was "preparation" for the real thing

Not once did ever hear of that but ok. And even if they did, it doesn't chance the fact that the Rex costume is much more detailed than any other Mii Costume? Fully animated Aegis Sword? Check. Actual model of Azurda from XC2? Check.

No other Mii Costume has that.

To view it from a different angle, K. Rool's Mii costume showed that he wouldn't be included as DLC in Smash 4, but it did show that he was on Sakurai's radar for the next game as it served as an acknowledgement of his popularity among fans. Likewise Rex's Mii costume showed that he wouldn't be included in Ultimate's base game, but the way it was presented implies that Sakurai wanted to add him.

Not to mention that the stated reason of "he was too late to be included" obviously doesn't apply to DLC, so there's no reason for Sakurai to not include Rex if he wants to.

Edited by Lightchao42