Regarding Unlockable Characters in Ultimate

Randoman

In today's direct, I couldn't help but pay particular attention to the segment from 6:36-6:42, where they showed the roster going from the original 8 to the full Ultimate Roster. I noticed that all of the characters (barring Echo Fighters and Mii Fighters) were unlocked in order of their Smash Ultimate Character number. As for the Echo Fighters, they were only added after all the regular 69 characters were added, starting with the Echo Fighter with the lowest number (Dark Samus as 4ε) and ending with the Echo Fighter with the highest number (Richter at 66ε). Do you think this means the character unlock order shown in the Direct will be the same order you unlock the characters in, if unlocking characters by vs. matches alone? (Eg: Luigi will be unlocked 1st by vs. matches. followed by Ness 2nd, Captain Falcon 3rd... all the way to Dark Pit being unlocked 3rd last, Ken being unlocked 2nd last, and Richter being unlocked last.)

Also, where do you guys think Mii Fighters fit into all of this, in regards to unlock order or how soon you can access/create them? I highly doubt that Mii Fighters are unlocked after Richter, like the video implied (well it kind of implied it to a degree), but at the same time, I don't think they'll let you make Mii Fighters from the get-go. I'll admit though, the latter makes more sense than the former.

Also, Adventure Mode/Spirits and Vs. Match Count Aside, do you guys think there will still be typical character unlock conditions for Ultimate? (Eg: Defeat Classic Mode once to Unlock Luigi, Defeat the 100-Man Smash/Century Smash to unlock Captain Falcon, etc.) Part of me doubts that the traditional character unlock conditions still exist, especially since they need to make around 65-68 unlock conditions like those ones. I want to hear what you guys think, though.

If I had to guess, they'll have multiple ways of being unlocked, like in previous games; Spirit Mode will probably the "fast way" like in Brawl, while they'll also have the usual total-matches-played and maybe specific conditions as alternative means.

As for order, I'm guessing the Direct's demonstration is just for show, and the real order will jump around; this is the first game where every newcomer has to be unlocked, and I can't imagine they'll all be stuck at the tailend of the order. People want to be able to play as Inkling, Ridley, ect. early on.

Edited by Anomalocaris

The Adventure Mode seems very non-linear. So I doubt there will be a strict order of characters. Some may be gated by abilities (like that time Pokemon Trainer uses Lapras to cross the ocean), so if a character is beyond such an obstacle then you must get whatever key you need first in order to fight them. 

And yeah, there are probably alternate, linear unlock methods from just playing versus matches. Set it to 1 stock, kill yourself, repeat. It seems we can only speculate at this stage. I'm surprised they didn't take the time to talk about this subject, but oh, Help and Tips are important enough to spend time on

Edited by Glennstavos

2 hours ago, Doctor Healmore said:

I have heard in a leek, that (will be in spoilers text)

Hide contents

Amiibos will unlock character, this was said on a retailers website (I don't remember which) 

It's an alternative, not the actual way to unlock a character.

Edited by KongDude

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Help and Tips are important enough to spend time on

I for one am actually SO happy they added this. In 4, you could only view random tips. There was no way to browse through tips in a sort of "tip library."

Edited by Arcphoenix

18 minutes ago, Arcphoenix said:

I for one am actually SO happy they added this. In 4, you could only view random tips. There was no way to browse through tips in a sort of "tip library."

I actually noticed and appreciated that too. Smash 4's just giving you a random collection bugged me.