Describe your favorite FE moment

Sub Zero

So this was a moment between an old friend of mine (Sadly we never see each other anymore) but before Fates came out, we both had Awakening. HE had it longer but I has gotten through the game quicker and had higher stats. Anyways we decided to do the co-op mode. My units carried us until we did a very hard one. My units were basically tanking heavy blows so we could live. Eventually it all came down to his avatar landing a 19% hit and it hit.

Kamui being the one to defeat the first dracozombie in my first run of SoV will forever remain a highlight for me. Especially since he did the signature "mercenary jump" move from the original gaiden to finish it off, and I was mentally shouting "Kamui, it's time TO FACE YOUR FEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAARRRSSS!!!" It's small in the long run, but little stuff like that makes you remember a game.

As for my favorite moment on the enemy side of things, I'll think I'll quote a story I shared several months ago about Charlie the Rigelian Baron:

On 5/20/2018 at 2:20 PM, Hawkwing said:

It wasn't exactly 'humiliating,' as the moment was quite awesome, but in Shadows of Valentia, on the Last Bastion level, on hard mode, there was a baron who survived being crit FOUR TIMES IN A ROW, and SIX TIMES TOTAL! Even better/worse, was that his assailants were Clive, Mathilda, and ZEKE! And it was a collaborative effort, to boot!

Even with his cape torn, and being visibly injured, the baron (who I named Charlie, for some reason) never gave up. If there was any doubt that Rigelian soldiers didn't live up to their name as brave, mighty, and determined warriors, he removed it.

@Hawkwing #CharlieForHeroes

Seriously, best story ever.

I'll add to the SoV stuff and say Boey screaming about the necrodragons. It was GLORIOUS.

For more epic, beating PoR. I celebrated. To this day it's still the only FE I've beaten.

Stalling in the second to last map of FE7 just so Kent and Farina can get their A support convo. I WILL get that paired ending!

As for gameplay, having berserker Charlotte kill the final boss of Lunatic Conquest with a brave axe. I just bought that weapon on a whim cuz I wanted to see Charlotte kick more behind, never thought it would end up as the weapon that will finally end Lunaquest. 

This is probably really general, but the Greil Mercenaries saving Lucia in Radiant Dawn is so epic. I don't care how bad the voice acting is, I will always remember "Whatifihidhurr?" and "SOREN! Always lost in your books! What did I say about watching your back?"

• 3 weeks later...

There's so many story moments that I could call my favorite. In each of the games I've played, I'd say there's at least one highly emotional or memorable moment. For now, I'll just stick with what's my current favorite- the first cutscene involving Berkut in Act 5 of SoV.

Spoiler

I was astonished at first to see him sacrifice his lover to gain Duma's power- but it made sense to the story. Berkut was at his lowest point and felt like he had nothing to hope for anymore, so it made sense that he was ready to give up everything in order to conquer Alm and his army. To me, it felt like the single strongest moment in all of SoV, and the incredible voice acting made it that much more amazing.

When I started playing SoV, I wasn't expecting much from Berkut, and was ready to discount him as the typical antagonist following me through much of the game before a finally showdown, in the veins of Valter and Narcien. Boy, was I impressed with Berkut by the end of SoV.

Now, I guess from a gameplay perspective... my favorite moment I can remember would probably be completing Awakening for the first time. It felt so much bigger and more epic than the GBA finales I'd already seen, and the music in the endgame is my second-favorite FE track of all time. When I was younger, I would listen to it on repeat when I was doing anything from writing a fanfic to trying to fall asleep. Also, below is the "final choice" I made after the FE13 endgame:

Spoiler

I'm like 90% sure that the first time I finished Awakening, I chose to seal Grima away, rather than kill him. >_< Disappointing in hindsight, but I guess back then I didn't know that Robin comes back regardless of what choice you make.

I could easily write a lot more about pretty much every FE game I've played, but I'll keep my reply to less than novel-length. 

Gameplay wise my favorite moment probably came from Geneology. In chapter 8 I screwed up and got Tine in a situation where quite a few Draco Knights could get to her. She then proceeded to dodge most attacks and slaughtered them all when counterattacking. 

Storywise that's quite a hard one. Lots of things I really like. Barhara was pretty iconic I guess. I remember Pent really making an impression on me in his join chapter because he just decimated everything around him. 

When I had to face Gharnef in Fe12. Gharnef is all like 'Muahahaha! I'm so evil and now I will kill you Marth!' and then proceeded to get one rounded on the first turn by Linde (something, something, avenging her father). The real reason why Gharnef kidnapped the maidens was so that you can't warp skip because that is his true weakness.

Also the conversation between Azel and Tailtiu in chapter 4. What I find so interesting is at this moment in story everything went wrong (but wait until you play the next chapter) and the character that we are shown to be the most energetic and cheerful is feeling down and who is the one who cheers her up? The shyest character in the game. It shows us a different side of these characters that we didn't know existed, The fact that they know each other well and how Azel has grown which is further shown in the next chapter when he talks with Lex and Tailtiu if they're lovers. 

Now that I think about it the special conversation with the three Greil brothers is definitely up there. Its something like Renault that it has some really valuable info that you might miss forever if you don't pay attention. The conversation does a pretty good job of showing how close the three are and how they ended up being taken in by Greil. It even has a pretty significant revelation about Rolf which might have been subtly foreshadowed by him being the only brother with light green hair instead of dark green. 

5 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Also the conversation between Azel and Tailtiu in chapter 4. What I find so interesting is at this moment in story everything went wrong (but wait until you play the next chapter) and the character that we are shown to be the most energetic and cheerful is feeling down and who is the one who cheers her up? The shyest character in the game. It shows us a different side of these characters that we didn't know existed, The fact that they know each other well and how Azel has grown which is further shown in the next chapter when he talks with Lex and Tailtiu if they're lovers. 

I am really exited to see what a potential remake would do with this scenario. Tailtiu explains in the beginning that they are childhood friends but they can do so much more with this. They could put in a special memory scene like Echoes about their childhood together or already show something of their friendship when Tailtiu meets Sigurd in Augustria. A support showing the two of them being really close would really go a long way already.

On 24-11-2018 at 1:23 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

I am really exited to see what a potential remake would do with this scenario. Tailtiu explains in the beginning that they are childhood friends but they can do so much more with this. They could put in a special memory scene like Echoes about their childhood together or already show something of their friendship when Tailtiu meets Sigurd in Augustria. A support showing the two of them being really close would really go a long way already.

I'm excited what a remake can do to the story in general. Fe4 has the groundwork to tell an amazing story. The only thing that it needs to do is expand those things. But I'm equally afraid that they will ruin it since it also laid the groundwork for some features that I dislike in new games like how anyone can marry anyone. I fear that when they remake fe4 they're going to put all their resources in writing supports between all male & female characters which is something I absolutely don't want. Just focus the writing on conversations between characters that clearly have chemistry.

Speaking of supports. I don't think that they should be implemented in the game (or at least not in the way that they're currently). I personally don't like supports since they often aren't focused on the story, are often the only way in which characters develop and sometimes contradict with the story. I once said that the characters in fe4 felt more developed to me then the characters in any other game with supports as the major way of character interaction because their development is visible and isn't seperated from the story (this is the reason why I love that conversation since it's a conversation that is also related to the current circumstances). If they want to put supports in it they should be limited to one character per playthrough, the conversations occur when there is something to talk about (like Lachesis getting a conversation when she discovers Eldigan is dead). It should also be available between characters of the same gender, It increases the amount of lovepoints gained between characters (when opposite gender) but doesn't influence other love growths (in case it is a support between same gender characters) and automatically has them married at the start of chapter 5, doesn't conflict with regular conversations and is only between characters that are able to have interesting/good conversations (Azel for example can support; Lex, Adean, Tailtiu & Sigurd). Bonus point if they have a final conversation in chapter 5 to make it even more tragic.

Memory scenes are also something that could greatly improve the characters & the word. Maybe even have memory scenes between non-playable characters (like a scene in which Julius & Ishtar are dating).

A base in between chapters also seems like a great addition. Have some conversations that don't necesarrily are that important to the story or are impossible to put in the story otherwise. I also have this idea that you have a library for which you can unlock additional details and even have books that are stories in that world like one about how North and Southern Thracia started fighting which explains it in details. It would be even cooler that when you unlock them in your game library by completing that save file that they are narrated.

There are also parts of the story I would change but I think I said enough about what I want.

• 2 months later...

For me, easily the scene when Sigurd and his army got incinerated by Arvis and his troops. It's so dramatic, and the irony makes it a heartbreaking moment especially for a game. It's one of those moments where you wish you could just jump in the game and fix things, for me at least. All the conversations the characters have before it happens makes suspense, and the sudden turn of events that this scene is adds a "nice" element of surprise.

As for me, I can specifically remember one moment from when I first started playing Fire Emblem that has always stuck with me.

Years ago, when I played my first Fire Emblem game, Sacred Stones, I had no idea what to expect in the game and from the series as a whole. I knew it was a strategy-RPG series, but that was about it. I didn't know there was a such a large amount of creativity and player choice in terms of unit development. With this ignorance in mind, I saw something in the menu called "Support Conversations." With little knowledge about these conversations, I was very curious as to what they were and what their benefits were. I was amazed to see how many characters could have conversations with other characters! I didn't know at the time that there was such extensive amounts of character development available at the player's disposal!

It was then I received my first A-rank support, and everything changed for me. I really liked (and still do like) the characters Franz and Natasha and I was shocked to see that they could have a support conversation. Seeing their personal conversations they had along with their touching interactions for three mini cut-scenes was absolutely amazing to me at the time. It made me wonder what the other FE games had in terms of story and character development. I absolutely loved the gameplay of the series as well and still do to this day, but I think I really owe my love for the series to that first A-rank support conversation I received involving a humble cavalier from Renais and a young cleric from Grado; two units I always used in my Sacred Stones playthroughs.

While Sacred Stones may not be my favorite FE game, it was my introduction to the series, and thus, it holds a very special place in my heart. Not it only that, it is home to one of my all-time favorite support conversations; one that helped create my love for the series today.

My favorite moment was coming into the series not expecting anything.  Seriously, nothing feels better than being given a game you know and care little about, playing it, and loving the heck out of it.

Another favorite was when I started digging into the story of Genealogy.  Learning why Sigurd was tried for treason beyond just Arvis's ulterior motives - learning that Sigurd literally was killed because of his good deeds and his compassion - and then also noticing that Sigurd's good deeds and compassion are what made Seliph able to take the helm in the Isaachian uprising and recruit so many valuable allies (like Ares and Leif) - what pushed Oifaye and Shannan to raise and train the kids in Isaach, and enabled Seliph to befriend a man who's bitter about his father's death (and assumes Seliph's father was the reason for it).  The story of that game was constructed so well, and it has one of the best antagonists in the series.

And I'd say the first truly emotional moments for me with the series were some of the scenes with Lucina.  The reveal to Chrom, and then the confrontation with Robin.  It was a good thing these happened in the first game I played.  I'm actually not too sure if I would've kept going with the series if I first played Fates because I felt nothing from the story alone (the characters were good, but I disliked the main story for the most part).  Might've been fine with Birthright's story, but better FE stories exist out there, which is why I'd typically recommend other games as the starting points.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:39 PM, Leif Faris Claus said:

It's one of those moments where you wish you could just jump in the game and fix things, for me at least.

And that's what makes the following segment of the game so cathartic.

So much despair, anger, and bitterness, and the narration after the event makes things seem so grim...  But then you hear the names Shannan... and Seliph.  And then you take control, and you're just whooping Empire butt to a beautiful tune with the children of the people whose lives were ended/ruined by that pivotal moment.

I'd list that as another favorite moment, for sure.

I'd say it was JUST when I started with FE in May of 2016. I played a demo of Awakening and loved it. I also remembered the trailers for Fates, so I picked up Birthright. Looking back on it, the story is good for an anime, but balls for a FE story. Back then though, I didn't know any better. The only two other games I played afterward were Awakening, and Sacred Stones (but not enough of Sacred Stones to meet Lyon, so all I rly knew about was whiny Eirika), so I didn't know any better. So, back on track, I make my way to Ch5 of Fates, the chapter where Mikoto dies. For all of Fates' problems with its narrative, I felt like the scene where Mikoto died was really well done, as it actually got me pissed off at Garon. I remember being super shocked, and with Ch5 and Ch6, I fell in love with FE. Thanks, Mikoto. Anime-mother syndrome helped make an FE fan out of me. 

Also, oddly enough, I started out with Fates, but prefer the older games. I believe that's because I knew more about the older games a few years before and noticed the patronizing features early on XD. My first has become a guilty pleasure.

• 4 months later...

Wiping out all the dragon knights in Ch.5, Genealogy of the Holy War with Forseti. In the same chapter, taking out all the bow knights with Jamke.