Deltarune... thoughts?

Hanes

I played Deltarune a bit, it's basically Undertale 2 but it also has FNAF syndrome in which the 2nd game as soon as it came out nobody knew if it was a prequel or a sequel. 
If you have played it... what are your thoughts on it?

I think it's fun that it's got a better battle system and I can run in the map also the soundtrack is great! but I just hate how I can't do a genocide route and that my character is speechless and emotionless, even Garon has more personality than him

Edited by Critical Sniper

Yeah, Deltarune just came out of nowhere for me.

I'll see about playing it at some point, but so far I've only seen some footage of it through a stream.  Not enough to form any sort of opinion, really, as it was an edited video that just focused on jokes that he made more than anything.  I love watching LPs, but damn are they sometimes horrible about actually showcasing a game.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

my character is speechless and emotionless, even Garon has more personality than him

Now, I don't remember everything from Undertale, but isn't that essentially what Frisk was like?  I feel like with all these games, you're supposed to inject yourself into the game, which I definitely prefer over something like Corrin from Fates not allowing him/herself to be the player's character.

55 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I feel like with all these games, you're supposed to inject yourself into the game, which I definitely prefer over something like Corrin from Fates not allowing him/herself to be the player's character.

Yeah I don't like Corrin's because while he is like Roy "good plastic cup personality", Roy doesn't try to say that he is me, but also I'm not a Frisk, I'm not an empty husk with no feelings like a tumblr who cuts himself.

Also I'm not a quiet kid who has sadistic killing ambitions (You have to play to see that part) or a person who is always happy and peaceful andvnever has hurt anyone that attacked them like Frisk

Edited by Critical Sniper

Well, I hated what I played of Undertale, and Delatrune looks to be no different. Slightly better art I suppose. I understand that "Wow, one dude made all of this", and sure, it's impressive, but it's also boring. There isn't anything to engage me when I play Undertale, the characters were boring, I hate Sans (Although that's more the fault of an ex-friend of mine than the game's, so I won't push it for that). This is coming from a guy who finds old FE, some of the slowest and most monotonous gameplay one could experience, to be fun. It honestly just felt like worse Earthbound, a decent game that I never actually finished (I got lost, sue me). Pretty good music though, I can still find myself humming some of it's tunes, and the Baritone's section call is literally Megolovania, so I'll give the game that.

13 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Yeah, Deltarune just came out of nowhere for me.

I'll see about playing it at some point, but so far I've only seen some footage of it through a stream.  Not enough to form any sort of opinion, really, as it was an edited video that just focused on jokes that he made more than anything.  I love watching LPs, but damn are they sometimes horrible about actually showcasing a game.

Now, I don't remember everything from Undertale, but isn't that essentially what Frisk was like?  I feel like with all these games, you're supposed to inject yourself into the game, which I definitely prefer over something like Corrin from Fates not allowing him/herself to be the player's character.

Dude, anything is better than Corrin. :p

But yeah, came out of nowhere for me too, I've seen one video of Jim Sterling, 'Deltarune, what's that ?', and boom, it's Undertale 2... ish I guess ?

The Undertale touch...touches are definitely present in there, hard to miss them. 'tis good ma boy.
Now start speculating about things !

Man, to think Toby Fox was stressed it wouldn't live up to Undertale, it's kind of crazy thinking about it.

I want to play this really badly but my PC doesn't even starts the game! It crashes when it's trying to start... A friend of mine took some "spoiler-free" screenshots for me to take a little look at it, and aesthetically looks funky and I like that, so as soon as I fix that issue I'll give it a try. 

17 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

Earthbound, a decent game that I never actually finished (I got lost, sue me).

I also got lost on my first run XD
Took my like 7 years to try and figure it out!

19 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Frisk was made with the intention of being yourself, that's why the first route you take is the Neutral, because that's your personality put into the character. Corrin is the opposite, they are supposed to be you, but the story and mechanics doesn't let you express yourself.

I honestly really like the game. The battle music is outstanding, and the Field of Hopes and Dreams song is great. I don't why that's the only area of the game that tells you what the song is, but I'm still playing through the game, so I haven't seen all the areas.

So far, the story is pretty decent. Susie is probably one of my favorite characters so far.

Also, Deltarune is an anagram if Undertale, which I thought was pretty neat.

What would you say is the appeal of Undertale and/or Deltarune? Personally I'm indifferent to Earthbound and the Mother series as a whole, so Toby Fox's games just don't do anything for me. 

9 hours ago, Wraith said:

What would you say is the appeal of Undertale and/or Deltarune? Personally I'm indifferent to Earthbound and the Mother series as a whole, so Toby Fox's games just don't do anything for me. 

As someone who enjoyed both games, I'd say the main selling points are quirky characters, catchy music, engaging battle system, replay value, and a surprisingly complex story that not only breaks the fourth wall but demolishes it entirely and still has people theorizing 3 years later. But I understand that it's not for everyone.

On topic, my thoughts on Deltarune (spoilers for both)

I'm pretty sure this is an alternate universe and not a prequel or sequel, seeing as:

1. Alphys and Undine don't know each other
  2. Catty and Bratty are rivals, not friends
  3. Gerson, the turtle shopkeeper from Waterfall is dead
  4. Asriel is still alive and in college, while he was younger when he died in UT. The player character, Kris, also appears older than either Chara or Frisk. 

The fact that Kris is the only human among monsters is curious. Did all of the other humans get wiped out? Is this a universe where the monsters weren't driven underground?

"Kris" sounds an awful lot like an amalgam of "Chara" and "Frisk." Coincidence? Maybe.

I've only played through once and did a pacifist run. I'm going to do another and kill everything to see if there are any differences. The game insisting that "your choices don't matter," does make me curious. Does Kris ripping out his heart and turning evil, even if you befriend everyone, reflect this?

18 hours ago, Wraith said:

Personally I'm indifferent to Earthbound and the Mother series as a whole, so Toby Fox's games just don't do anything for me. 

I'd say that you should run before an angry fan try to hurt you for your heresy.. :p
Joking joking, anyone have their tastes, I understand that Mother and Undertale are not for anyone, especially since they are such special game.
And that people try to kill you with talk of Undertale, eh.

8 hours ago, Scoot said:

As someone who enjoyed both games, I'd say the main selling points are quirky characters, catchy music, engaging battle system, replay value, and a surprisingly complex story that not only breaks the fourth wall but demolishes it entirely and still has people theorizing 3 years later. But I understand that it's not for everyone.

On topic, my thoughts on Deltarune (spoilers for both)

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pretty sure this is an alternate universe and not a prequel or sequel, seeing as:

1. Alphys and Undine don't know each other
  2. Catty and Bratty are rivals, not friends
  3. Gerson, the turtle shopkeeper from Waterfall is dead
  4. Asriel is still alive and in college, while he was younger when he died in UT. The player character, Kris, also appears older than either Chara or Frisk. 

The fact that Kris is the only human among monsters is curious. Did all of the other humans get wiped out? Is this a universe where the monsters weren't driven underground?

"Kris" sounds an awful lot like an amalgam of "Chara" and "Frisk." Coincidence? Maybe.

I've only played through once and did a pacifist run. I'm going to do another and kill everything to see if there are any differences. The game insisting that "your choices don't matter," does make me curious. Does Kris ripping out his heart and turning evil, even if you befriend everyone, reflect this?

There's also the fact that there is a character called Susie, and anyone who know their Undertale lore know how big of a thing it is. The wait what factor become bigger.

The fact that the game try to hammer how much your choices means nothing puzzle me, because... how to say this, while it is true, to an extend, they still give you choices that may or may not conclude into something that may or may be something important.

It might be balsy to say that, but, It's not far from Undertale when I think about it. A red herring perhaps ?

All I can say is that the hype train is real and so is the Deltarune binge I'm having.

I'll go ahead and say that I liked it more than Undertale's start, even. The gameplay has been fleshed out and having characters who react to the world on your party is fun, compared to the Undertale MC. I also loved the new characters, with Susie growing up to be one of my favorite ones.

Man, I wish I could come up with a project like this, or even help in a way. I really appreciate Toby's initiative for a Mother-like game, as well as his inspirations for this. It's a very unique style of game that I find myself missing.

I played it, and from what we have so far of it; it's better than Undertale (which i found to be fine). I find the characters more likable and I think this new battle system has potential. I love the music, Field of Hopes and Dreams is the stuff of legends. While I don't LOVE it or anything, from what we've seen so far its definitely more interesting.

I got to play it and I liked it a lot!

If I have to say anything that catched my attention, but needs to be spoiler-free... Is that Mr. Dink and his broken grill appear as someone cat husband.

YOU BROKE MY GRILL?!