Idea for Future FE Instalment

Ninjato

I don't have a full intricate lay out of what I think this game could be like just a general premise of the story if you will and I'd like your opinion on it. I also welcome any new ideas. I'm a pretty big fan of the history surrounding the Roman Empire so the idea is pretty basic in itself.

Basically I thought it would be interesting if we had a story reminiscent of the Germanic invasions of Rome, if memory serves I don't think we've had an FE title that chronicled the actual founding of a Nation. Sure the general back story of every FE has one or more great heroes who defeat and evil dragon and found a nation or two.

I think an interesting story would be if the main Lord became the leader of a coalition of tribes that were forced to migrate into this "Great Empire" let's call it after being forced out of their former homelands, of course their goal being to find a permanent new home for their people or risk their culture and way of life going extinct.

It goes without saying the final boss could be the "Emperor" and we could pull a Black Knight and give him some divine armor to fill the "Main Character needs a divine weapon" quota.

So what do you guys think? To boring? To complex? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

Edit: Changed the topic's title from "Title" to "Instalment" as I feared someone might've taken it to literally lol. I don't mind ideas for what the hypothetical game could be called, I'm also looking for rough story and/or gameplay ideas, if you guys have anything you'd like to add that may make things more interesting and all.

Edited by Ninjato

I've come up with a few.

Land's Bounty

Home of a Hero

Together We Ride

Power to Bind

Arm of the People

Praesidium (If you want it to be more Roman inspired. Translates to "Protection")

What system is this on? Also, for bringing people together, I suggest using some gaiden chapters as a way to make choices if you want to do alliances. 

32 minutes ago, Alike said:

I've come up with a few.

Land's Bounty

Home of a Hero

Together We Ride

Power to Bind

Arm of the People

Praesidium (If you want it to be more Roman inspired. Translates to "Protection")

What system is this on? Also, for bringing people together, I suggest using some gaiden chapters as a way to make choices if you want to do alliances. 

Interesting ideas, also I figure it could just be on the 3DS, I was mainly focused on rough story ideas I hadn't considered the system thanks for mentioning it.

There is the issue of the laguz kind of serving as the "barbarians" in the tellius games

i mean the beast country is literally called Gallia, can't get any more blunt

i would appreciate a more politically driven story tho, but I am uh...very much in the minority there 

15 minutes ago, ChefGuevara said:

There is the issue of the laguz kind of serving as the "barbarians" in the tellius games

i would appreciate a more politically driven story tho, but I am uh...very much in the minority there 

Yeah that's unfortunate, I mean I like killing evil Dragons/Gods as much as the next guy but having a more human conflict so to speak would be pretty interesting as well in my opinion.

4 hours ago, TheWildestCat said:

I'm also thinking of a fan project but I need character names and weapons that will be used. So can I use some of these ideas as well. I'll give you credit in my game but I was wondering if I could also use this. 

Royalty:

Myrell

Yuni

Maile

Knights:

Nicht

Rize

Hugo

Rich

Citizens:

Selt

Karl

Worren

Barbarian:

Gunson

Drisel

Weapons: 

Valhalla (Sword or Spear)

Hel (Tome or Ax)

Yggdrasil (Staff or Bow)

Hephaestus (Staff (similar to Hammerne) or Ax)

Also, sure use them as you will, but while they are off the top of my head, they may already be used.

Edited by Alike

6 hours ago, TheWildestCat said:

I'm also thinking of a fan project but I need character names and weapons that will be used. So can I use some of these ideas as well. I'll give you credit in my game but I was wondering if I could also use this

Characters is pretty simple, you gotta have someone named Caesar, or Julius. Sneak in an August or really any other Roman/Byzantine emperor name for the enemy faction. I'm going to run off the idea that the general structure of the hack is like this.

You start out as one of many (We'll say Germanic for now, you can come up with whatever name you want later) Germanic tribes who are migrating into the (again, for now we'll say Roman) Roman area. You come into conflict with the other tribes for varying reasons. We're not going to say "There's an evil tribe that kills everyone and is also cannibalistic", because that's absurd and not morally interesting. Instead, one tribe starts to expand beyond where it should due to the lack of proper farmland in the region, which pisses off another tribe so they start fighting and it spirals from there. So you'll be either destroying them or putting them under your rule for say the first 10-12 chapters, then you move on to take the capital of Rome for the rest of the game, maybe some postgame content of moving around a a worldmap taking out random rebellions that give stat boosters and the like. Why attack Rome, probably could just use racism here. They're Romans, basically everyone could buy that.

As for names, have the main cast be mainly Germanic inspired. If we want to be really on the nose, have your main character's last name be Odoacer. We could probably have a few Roman names, and people, in the army, maybe they could be the Pre-promotes and defectors. Your army shouldn't have many magical units, maybe the one you do is a Roman defector since by nature of being Germanic they really didn't learn literacy. Think similar to Thracia, well the early chapters of Thracia where you basically had a bunch of axe units.

Weaponry should mainly be less useful tools, and as the Germanic people raid more areas, they get better gear. Like they start the game with iron axes crudely held together with string, and by the end they use pure silver axes. As for special weaponry, if you want to be on the nose have the main character's weapon be called Xiphos (assuming he uses swords). Rename lances to Pilums, and have the legendary axe be named something like Fasces.

9 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

We're not going to say "There's an evil tribe that kills everyone and is also cannibalistic", because that's absurd and not morally interesting.

Knowing IS they likely would've done exactly this. 

9 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

I'm also thinking of a fan project but I need character names and weapons that will be used. So can I use some of these ideas as well. I'll give you credit in my game but I was wondering if I could also use this

On that note you could probably squeeze in a Hun-esque faction to act as a secondary enemy of sorts and bring back the Nomad/Nomadic Trooper. They could also work as another worldmap enemy alongside the rebellions DarthR0xas mentioned.

12 hours ago, Alike said:

Royalty:

Myrell

Yuni

Maile

Knights:

Nicht

Rize

Hugo

Rich

Citizens:

Selt

Karl

Worren

Barbarian:

Gunson

Drisel

Weapons: 

Valhalla (Sword or Spear)

Hel (Tome or Ax)

Yggdrasil (Staff or Bow)

Hephaestus (Staff (similar to Hammerne) or Ax)

Also, sure use them as you will, but while they are off the top of my head, they may already be used.

Thanks for the ideas, but there is only one royalty and that is the main character who is already "made" but I will definitely use some of these names.

-> Roman vs Barbarian theme

-> Not one guy named Vercingetorix

Not that I don't understand why but come on, lads. You can't leave the Celts out of this idea.

Spoiler

As I'm not an expert on ancient/classical Germanic tribes, you can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on anything here. Most of what I know of them is from my knowledge of Roman history.

The Romans began to hire quite a few German mercenaries as time went on, so...that could be something.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, ChefGuevara said:

Tellius really doesn't have a very good racism narrative. Like, it's actually kinda bad.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:50 PM, DarthR0xas said:

We're not going to say "There's an evil tribe that kills everyone and is also cannibalistic", because that's absurd and not morally interesting.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:47 AM, Ninjato said:

Knowing IS they likely would've done exactly this. 

Hey now, I think that idea could actually be made quite interesting- simply throw some thoroughly screwed up philosophies into the pot, season to taste, and you'd have something pretty good. Not for a main villain- but as something which exists in the world, an isolated group which is truly barbaric and thinks cannibalism will allow them to inherit the strength of the dead (as some cultures have believed), it might be a memorable detour.

While the ancient Germanic tribes weren't the most literate folks, I wouldn't discount giving them magical units. I mean, they were an ancient culture, they had a bunch of freaky mystic garble-harble which suits the unit type. I mean, overall I wouldn't put "having a very German-like protagonist" above "has good gameplay and unit distribution."

Gotta have some magic axes. I mean, maybe do that. It could be cool.

As I recall, it was the westward expansion of the Huns which drove the Germans into Roman territory more than usual. It also pushed the Goths far enough to eventually establish their own kingdoms in North Africa.

I'm not sure I think the idea of these world map battles really fits the image presented here- some tribes being pushed into a hostile neighbor by another doesn't really seem like it afford the sort of free movement the world map tends to give, and I think dealing with internal rebellion could be better done through the plot. For Rome, I could see that aspect, since you'd have an established area where rebellions could be happening anywhere and often did, but these tribesman don't seem to fit the idea, as best I can tell.

Now, while Rome wasn't exactly a good guy most of the time, they various "barbarian" tribes weren't good guys either. I think it'd be hard to sell "conquer and established kingdom to set up your own" as a noble or heroic motive- we aren't talking driving out the Canaanites here, but perhaps that's more the sort of tone / ambiguity you'd like to have.

Or maybe that's what the dragon is for, I don't know.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The Romans began to hire quite a few German mercenaries as time went on, so...that could be something.

Yeah, if I recall German mercenaries were quite common in the later years of the Western Empire. Maybe the Lord's class could reflect this, or the green units that make up their army could be predominantly mercenary classes.

Hey now, I think that idea could actually be made quite interesting- simply throw some thoroughly screwed up philosophies into the pot, season to taste, and you'd have something pretty good. Not for a main villain- but as something which exists in the world, an isolated group which is truly barbaric and thinks cannibalism will allow them to inherit the strength of the dead (as some cultures have believed), it might be a memorable detour.

That's actually a good idea, I hadn't considered that. Could definitely lead to some rather dark moments like previous FEs have had.

As I recall, it was the westward expansion of the Huns which drove the Germans into Roman territory more than usual. It also pushed the Goths far enough to eventually establish their own kingdoms in North Africa.

Could be an excuse to bring back the Nomad/Nomadic Trooper like I mentioned earlier. Probably don't wanna fight them to often since the lack of class diversity could get tedious. Also I thought that was the Vandals? Or are they an offshoot of the Goths? If I recall the Visigoths under Alaric got their own kingdom in Lusitania/Hispania and Geiseric founded the Vandal Kingdom in North Africa. At least that's what recall, may have to double check.

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Now, while Rome wasn't exactly a good guy most of the time, they various "barbarian" tribes weren't good guys either. I think it'd be hard to sell "conquer and established kingdom to set up your own" as a noble or heroic motive- we aren't talking driving out the Canaanites here, but perhaps that's more the sort of tone / ambiguity you'd like to have.

Or maybe that's what the dragon is for, I don't know.

Maybe having the main Lord conquer the Empire is a bit much but having them found their own little kingdom within Empire like the Visigoths/Vandals seems like a noble enough goal to get behind. Could give us some room for moral ambiguity with the main Lord acting out of desperation and the Empire out of self-preservation, both are understandable reasons for both sides to clash.

8 hours ago, Ninjato said:

Also I thought that was the Vandals? Or are they an offshoot of the Goths? If I recall the Visigoths under Alaric got their own kingdom in Lusitania/Hispania and Geiseric founded the Vandal Kingdom in North Africa. At least that's what recall, may have to double check.

I did; You're right.

8 hours ago, Ninjato said:

Maybe having the main Lord conquer the Empire is a bit much but having them found their own little kingdom within Empire like the Visigoths/Vandals seems like a noble enough goal to get behind. Could give us some room for moral ambiguity with the main Lord acting out of desperation and the Empire out of self-preservation, both are understandable reasons for both sides to clash.

There does seem to be a desire in the fanbase for more grey stories like that, but I would at least consider that humans innately favor the defense as the good guy, so they'd have to be pretty desperate. A possible way to get around this while keeping the rivalry is to have both the Romans and Germy bois seeking to colonize the same ungoverned territory, where weird cannibals spook hard working every day hill folk, but that might also be entirely different the conflict you envisioned. If you make the Germy bois themselves defenders against the Roma Tomatoes who then establish a kingdom in the counter-conquered land, or get pushed into North Africa, or...like, I don't know.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

There does seem to be a desire in the fanbase for more grey stories like that, but I would at least consider that humans innately favor the defense as the good guy, so they'd have to be pretty desperate.

Ah yes I don't dispute that, I don't mind the "defend/free your kingdom" trope as it's a classic that I greatly enjoy. And you're right that the defenders are typically associated with the good guys, I have a personal bias when it comes to the Roman Empire, so with a Rome vs Barbarians theme with the barbarians as the protagonists I couldn't, in good conscience, make the Empire a discount Begnion or Dolhr with just the obligatory Camus Archetype showing up. Ya know to show the protagonist that not everyone on the opposing side is a generic asshole.

This whole idea was literally spawned from a simple thought I had while playing Echoes: "Have we had a story where the protagonist is the ancient hero who founded their Nation?". After looking into it I didn't find anything baring the possibility of that being the plot of Three Houses, it was gonna be the topic of this thread but my imagination got the best of me and so here we are lol.

18 minutes ago, Ninjato said:

Ah yes I don't dispute that, I don't mind the "defend/free your kingdom" trope as it's a classic that I greatly enjoy. And you're right that the defenders are typically associated with the good guys, I have a personal bias when it comes to the Roman Empire, so with a Rome vs Barbarians theme with the barbarians as the protagonists I couldn't, in good conscience, make the Empire a discount Begnion or Dolhr with just the obligatory Camus Archetype showing up. Ya know to show the protagonist that not everyone on the opposing side is a generic asshole.

You could have both sides be generic assholes.

18 minutes ago, Ninjato said:

This whole idea was literally spawned from a simple thought I had while playing Echoes: "Have we had a story where the protagonist is the ancient hero who founded their Nation?". After looking into it I didn't find anything baring the possibility of that being the plot of Three Houses, it was gonna be the topic of this thread but my imagination got the best of me and so here we are lol.

Well, the imagination is more entertaining than speculation, being honest, and as I recall there are suspiciously nation-like names on the map. Polities, at the very least.

Another possibility for this nation-founding epic is for the Roman side to be a recently founded nation itself, seeking to expand dominion into Germanic territory. This could spark a Vercingetorix-type character to take up arms against this invasion or an existing but recent occupation, unite many of the tribes, and become the founder of a nation themselves. I don't know.