Book III Opens: December 2018 (Speculation + Discussion)

Coolmanio

So they didn't do anything with the stick after all?

I thought for sure it was going some kind of convenient way to save the day. I guess not.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell was the point of the Lif and Thrasir bit at the end? Were they a Lif and Thrasir from a different world? Because in our timeline they're dead, like actual dead. Not like fake dead how they were at the start of the book. Was it the ones we fought in a flashback? Because if it was holy hell that feels tacked on. Nothing anywhere in the rest of the story suggested that they had any sort of premonition about another Askr succeeding. Was it saying that everything we just played was a dream and our Askr actually bit it too? On one hand, that'd still be bull because "it was all a dream" is bull in general. But on the other hand, book 4 picking up in what's basically the FEH version of Future of Despair would be kind of interesting, but I highly doubt they'd actually go that route. Ugh. It just seems like a half-assed attempt to give them some sort of happy ending without completely undercutting the rest of the story.

Honestly, I'm just glad it's over. Personally, this was about on par with or below book 2. Lif ended up being more interesting than I'd anticipated, and Eir's bit at the end was kind of cool, but there were a lot of things that seemed pointless or rushed. Like why even use the names Lif and Thrasir? I'm probably forgetting some lore reason, but excepting that, it seems more like they just did it to have the reveal. They also kind of dropped the whole what it means to be king theme they had going in the beginning, which I know I was ragging on a bit, but is still a little disappointing. Then again, maybe I'm just forgetting things. Lord knows I don't pay much attention to this story. Still not a fan of the whole grimdark motif the book had going on either, but to each their own. I am also a bit bugged that Alfonse is still the only character getting any noticeable character development. I was quite pleasantly surprised that they didn't pull a "But I'm not actually defeated" with Hel too like they did Surtr.

33 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

What the hell was the point of the Lif and Thrasir bit at the end?

If I had to guess, I’d say it was to sort of round out the themes of the story and bring closure to Lif’s character. Book 3 was a story about death and how one deals with its emotional aftermath least as I can tell anyway. The six(or is it seven?) stages of grief seem to be a running motif of sorts throughout the book(Alfonse shock of coming to terms with his mortality, Lif’s anger and depression which forces him to bargain with Hel, the refusal to accept the inevitability of death, etc.) and this chapter seems to be about acceptance. Eir accepts Hel as her mother and accepts askr as her new family. Lif and Thrasir now accept the truth of their situation but take solace in the fact that another world exists that has found a solution and has found peace. 

4 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

What the hell was the point of the Lif and Thrasir bit at the end? Were they a Lif and Thrasir from a different world? Because in our timeline they're dead, like actual dead. Not like fake dead how they were at the start of the book. Was it the ones we fought in a flashback? Because if it was holy hell that feels tacked on. Nothing anywhere in the rest of the story suggested that they had any sort of premonition about another Askr succeeding. Was it saying that everything we just played was a dream and our Askr actually bit it too? On one hand, that'd still be bull because "it was all a dream" is bull in general. But on the other hand, book 4 picking up in what's basically the FEH version of Future of Despair would be kind of interesting, but I highly doubt they'd actually go that route. Ugh. It just seems like a half-assed attempt to give them some sort of happy ending without completely undercutting the rest of the story.

Honestly, I'm just glad it's over. Personally, this was about on par with or below book 2. Lif ended up being more interesting than I'd anticipated, and Eir's bit at the end was kind of cool, but there were a lot of things that seemed pointless or rushed. Like why even use the names Lif and Thrasir? I'm probably forgetting some lore reason, but excepting that, it seems more like they just did it to have the reveal. They also kind of dropped the whole what it means to be king theme they had going in the beginning, which I know I was ragging on a bit, but is still a little disappointing. Then again, maybe I'm just forgetting things. Lord knows I don't pay much attention to this story. Still not a fan of the whole grimdark motif the book had going on either, but to each their own. I am also a bit bugged that Alfonse is still the only character getting any noticeable character development. I was quite pleasantly surprised that they didn't pull a "But I'm not actually defeated" with Hel too like they did Surtr.

In addition to what Ottservia already said, I imagine them using the names of their ancestors was probably their way of coping. Same reason Lucina used Marth's name in Awakening. Lif got angry when Alfonse tried to use his true name.

The subplot about learning to be King ran it's course by the time Gustav was killed. They didn't drop it, it more or less finished what it needed to. They weren't going to harp on it for the whole story.

Why did they include that "Fire Emblem Heroes" moment in there ? It was just kind of jarring and it makes the cinematic come across as a trailer instead of an ending.

Anyway, barring that awkward moment i really liked it though; seeing Lif and Thrasir's phasing over Alfonse and Veronica was probably my favorite part. Really cool.

Edited by Luckenzio

4 hours ago, Zeo said:

So.... anyone else think Alfonse should get Sovabekkr as an equippable weapon now?

Nope.

I mean i wish They would give the Askrtrio a 2. refine to turn their weapons into Divine weapons, but nope not Lif or Thrasirs weapon.
Lif Thrasirs or Eirs weapon all have a distinguish design and come from the Realm of the Dead. They seem to be cursed weapon because their side-effect hurts the wielder or allies nearby which doesnt fit the personality of Alfonse. Its like their weapon feed upon the energy of the living, which prolly means that maybe a living being cant even wield them.
Sovabekkr drains 20 HP from the nearest ally (Lif)
Ilfingr lowers each stat by 4 on the nearest ally (Thrasir)
Lyfjaberg deals 4 dmg to the wielder itself (Eir), but thats prolly because Eir can mitgate it by being the Child of the Dragon of Life.

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

Nope.

I mean i wish They would give the Askrtrio a 2. refine to turn their weapons into Divine weapons, but nope not Lif or Thrasirs weapon.
Lif Thrasirs or Eirs weapon all have a distinguish design and come from the Realm of the Dead. They seem to be cursed weapon because their side-effect hurts the wielder or allies nearby which doesnt fit the personality of Alfonse. Its like their weapon feed upon the energy of the living, which prolly means that maybe a living being cant even wield them.
Sovabekkr drains 20 HP from the nearest ally (Lif)
Ilfingr lowers each stat by 4 on the nearest ally (Thrasir)
Lyfjaberg deals 4 dmg to the wielder itself (Eir), but thats prolly because Eir can mitgate it by being the Child of the Dragon of Life.

Askr trio desperately need some kind of upgrade. Even Dragonflowers don't get them even close these days.

Completing the Alfonse quests was a complete pain in the butt since most Lv.40 opponents completely outclass him.

OH MAAAAAAAAAN

Okay, that ending cinematic made the end of the story so much more impactful (discluding the Hel-Eir bits; I think the written version of that had more impact)! Lif and Thrasir, in the end, accomplished what they had tried to do for their own version of their world. That was made much clearer in the cinematic. Man, so beautiful! I love these things!

This was soo amazing! Lif and Thrasir phasing over their alternate selves was a beautiful touch and really hit hard that they got their wish in the end! Just...seriously, this whole cinematic was awesome and that "post-credits scene" was just icing on the cake, especially with the music cutting out as Hel dies and before Eir's last line. I hope IS does an interview before Book 4 starts and tell us who wrote the story and came up with the idea of adding more cinematics...and I hope they get a raise!

And needless to say, I hope we get more of this in Book 4 and beyond too!

P.S. Given the phasing thing, someone on Reddit wondered if we might get Alfonse/ Lif and Veronica/ Thrasir Duo Heroes at some point. I don't think this trailer was hinting at that, but I sure won't complain if we get them.

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Askr trio desperately need some kind of upgrade. Even Dragonflowers don't get them even close these days.

Completing the Alfonse quests was a complete pain in the butt since most Lv.40 opponents completely outclass him.

So do other Gen1 units that allready got a weapon refine. I mean just look at Regular Lyn and Jaffars weapon refine. Totally outdated.

9 minutes ago, Hilda said:

So do other Gen1 units that allready got a weapon refine. I mean just look at Regular Lyn and Jaffars weapon refine. Totally outdated.

But those units at least get merges. Askr trio should gain a personal skill to bring them up, or at least a way to give them merges. They want us to use them (quests/bonus rotations), so they should make them more appealing. 
Personal skills would avoid the precedent of giving refines to units that already have while also bringing the starting freebie OCs on par with the newer ones, that have personal skills.

4 minutes ago, Rinco said:

But those units at least get merges. Askr trio should gain a personal skill to bring them up, or at least a way to give them merges. They want us to use them (quests/bonus rotations), so they should make them more appealing. 
Personal skills would avoid the precedent of giving refines to units that already have while also bringing the starting freebie OCs on par with the newer ones, that have personal skills.

i use them regularly. It has gotten harder recently on Abyssal maps but still managable if you are willing to Inherit skills into them.

Dont get me wrong i would love more for them!

Edited by Hilda

One thing I'll be curious to see is whether or not Book 3 gets the big farewell party that Book 2 did. Last November/December, they got:

`1. 2 new banners ("Generals of Muspell" and "Fire and Ice")

2. The "Remembering Book 1 and Book 2" video.

3. Legendary Hrid

4. Nifl vs. Muspell Voting Gauntlet

5. Forging Bonds with Nifl siblings

I'd like to see Book 3 get just as grand a farewell party.

Edited by Sentinel07

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

One thing I'll be curious to see is whether or not Book 3 gets the big farewell party that Book 2 did. Last November/December, they got:

`1. 2 new banners ("Generals of Muspell" and "Fire and Ice")

2. The "Remembering Book 1 and Book 2" video.

3. Legendary Hrid

4. Nifl vs. Muspell Voting Gauntlet

5. Forging Bonds with Nifl siblings

I'd like to see Book 3 get just as grand a farewell party.

Lif and Hel are shoe-ins for the next two Mythic Heroes, which means the farewells will likely be delayed for three months for them to be released.

...unless we get them both at once, of course. But you're right, I totally forgot Book 2 did that so I'm sure 3 will as well. Looking forward to it! Forging Bonds will be pretty depressing though, considering the Book 4 quartet's relationships with each other.

Now that I think about it, maybe we'll get Gustav as a Legendary Hero now too?

17 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Lif and Hel are shoe-ins for the next two Mythic Heroes, which means the farewells will likely be delayed for three months for them to be released.

...unless we get them both at once, of course. But you're right, I totally forgot Book 2 did that so I'm sure 3 will as well. Looking forward to it! Forging Bonds will be pretty depressing though, considering the Book 4 quartet's relationships with each other.

Now that I think about it, maybe we'll get Gustav as a Legendary Hero now too?

I'm still going to hold to my theory that Lif will be Legendary while Hel will be on a normal banner like Surtr. Either way though, I doubt they'll hold off that long. Considering how they made sure to get all of Book 2's units out before Book 3 began, I'd imagine they'd do the same here. 

I don't see Gustav being Legendary. I could see him and Henriette together on a normal banner. I would not be surprised to see Hel, Gustav, and Henriette shoved onto a single banner. Heck, that could potentially be our December 5th banner (since it's not a sure thing Book 4 will be associated with that banner since Book 3 didn't).

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'm still going to hold to my theory that Lif will be Legendary while Hel will be on a normal banner like Surtr. Either way though, I doubt they'll hold off that long. Considering how they made sure to get all of Book 2's units out before Book 3 began, I'd imagine they'd do the same here. 

I don't see Gustav being Legendary. I could see him and Henriette together on a normal banner. I would not be surprised to see Hel, Gustav, and Henriette shoved onto a single banner. Heck, that could potentially be our December 5th banner (since it's not a sure thing Book 4 will be associated with that banner since Book 3 didn't).

Hel is literally the God of Hell! It cant get much more godlike then that. And I know Loki is a goddess too, but Mythics werent even introduced back then when she was released.

Maybe they will do a double Mythic release and shove in Hel and Lif as the next Mythics together. The Slots are open, there is one Slot open for a Red Mythic and a Green slot open for a Green Mythic.

They are sooo far behind Mythic release schedule that i wouldnt be surprised about a double Release and them wrapping up Legendary hero, i woulndt be surprised if they had like maybe 4-5 Legendary heroes tops to release and then wrap it up with Legendary heroes.

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't see Gustav being Legendary. I could see him and Henriette together on a normal banner.

In hindsight, this makes more sense. As for Lif, I don't see how Thrasir (who did less than him in the story) can be Mythical but not him. And @Hilda already made the case for Hel.

Back to the trailer again, I just realised that Lif/ Alfonse and Thrasir/ Veronica do their attack poses when attacking Hel and enchanting Breidablik respectively, ditto for Hel posing like her damaged art when she gets shot. Neat!

6 hours ago, Hilda said:

Hel is literally the God of Hell! It cant get much more godlike then that. And I know Loki is a goddess too, but Mythics werent even introduced back then when she was released.

Maybe they will do a double Mythic release and shove in Hel and Lif as the next Mythics together. The Slots are open, there is one Slot open for a Red Mythic and a Green slot open for a Green Mythic.

They are sooo far behind Mythic release schedule that i wouldnt be surprised about a double Release and them wrapping up Legendary hero, i woulndt be surprised if they had like maybe 4-5 Legendary heroes tops to release and then wrap it up with Legendary heroes.

By that same token though, how are Fjorm, Hrid, and Gunnthra any more Legendary than Surtr? 

Let's be honest, this game barely follows any sort of rules.

6 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

By that same token though, how are Fjorm, Hrid, and Gunnthra any more Legendary than Surtr? 

Let's be honest, this game barely follows any sort of rules.

Surtr got his status by being built as a LEGENDARY arse to deal with.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:49 PM, Zeo said:

So.... anyone else think Alfonse should get Sovabekkr as an equippable weapon now?

I think it is a nice upgrade over Fólkvangr. Assuming you are running Alfonse with Desperation-Brash Assault, Sökkvabekkr gives him an easier HP threshold (he just needs to reach 75% for Desperation instead of 50% for Brash Assault), and it frees his Sacred Seal slot for Brazens. The recoil damage is also good for getting Dancers/Singers into Escape Route range.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, Hilda said:

I do not see how Desperation-Brash Assault is ever outdated; the only problem Lyn has is her subpar Atk which you can somewhat offset with her now open B slot with Wrath or Special Spiral.

Jaffar is no Kronya, but he can work better as a Counter-Vantage unit now provided he got A Monstrous Harvest Hectors for support. Although I guess any unit with AMH!Hector support can work as Counter-Vantage unit too now since they can just offload the Atk stat to AMH!Hector.

I think this still technically counts as Book 3, but that new Paralogue coming sounds very interesting.

Guess Lif and Thrasir will get at least one more appearance. Probably their last one since I imagine Book 4 will shift the focus away just like what they did with Surtr.