Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

@Qilin Are you sure about the Aether loss? I just see 'restore Aether to raiding party(if they win)' and no mention of the defender losing Aether. To my knowledge losing just costs you lift when above 4000 and even then only once in a 20 hour period if your first defense of that period isn't a success.

@Ice Dragon So it works better if one dancer is mixed in? You had Priscilla as the fourth earlier, didn't you?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I apparently went most of the first day with the wrong defense team, though I don't know how that happened. I tried putting Tiki, Myrrh, Ninian, and Bowcina on Defense later but they were too weak in the player phase. 

I've pretty much thrown buildings together now and hoped for the best. I'm thinking of an Ophelia, Mikata, Inigo, and Bowcina team for unpredictability and pre-charged Blazing Light. I kind of want to try something fun rather than just going for armors or Dazzle teams, but that may put me far behind. 

Got 500 of that Dew thing but I need to wait till tier four before I can upgrade my Fortress (D). I wonder if it would be more worth it to stock up on Aether instead before the season is over, since that'd allow for more matches and thus faster climbing through the ranks.

8 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

I just wish I had more battle match-ups so I actually get an idea if my defense map works or not.

Yeah I lost against my own but I dont think I have any way of making it better atm, also would like to save up for the special structures.

30 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

Yeah I lost against my own but I dont think I have any way of making it better atm, also would like to save up for the special structures.

Ivthink they need to restrict dancer somehow. I would implement a change that units that trigger a trap cant be danced out of it. This change would help alot allready. Or limit the amount of usable dances to 3 for the entire match

Got my first defense. Dude took to much time moving around trying to not get caught and ended losing by turn limit. A win is a win I guess.

I'm really liking this mode, wish there were some kind of grindy stuff not related to ranking. There's a lot that can be done within the thematic of aether raids.

Maybe the askr trio ends up finding some old/archaic summoning rock/machine that can only summon 1* and 2* heroes or something.

I'm really looking forward to how IS will be fine tuning this game mode.

Edited by !Skydiver

4 hours ago, Qilin said:

What do you guys prioritize? I try to aim for the aether buildings, even at the cost of losing units and by extension lesser lift, because it seems to rob aether from the defending team when you are in higher tiers and I want to start practicing.

The defense team doesn't lose any aether when their aether buildings are destroyed, only you gain aether by destroying them.

I did my games really late yesterday and didn't get defense battles during all of the day until I woke up today and had 3 with only 1 win. So it seems that the theory of reaching tier 3 late in the day has some truth.

I hope that in the next TT we start getting grails. One of the things that I fear is that we won't get another TT with only TT units as rewards. 

Need to work ony defense team and set up some additional raiding parties, but still really enjoying this. Gotta say the aether cost is going to get frustrating at higher tiers. It's going to be to a point where you'll have to wait multiple days to do one match. I could definitely see the loss from a defense loss being infuriating then.

Anyway, gotta get to work setting up a defense team.

Edit: So what I've learned today is that I spent toouch on offensive structures and don't have enough stuff to eat up space on defense.

Edited by bottlegnomes

6 hours ago, Usana said:

So it works better if one dancer is mixed in? You had Priscilla as the fourth earlier, didn't you?

Yeah, I switched in Ninian. Units can't stand in the same squares as each other to attack, so mixing in the Dancer can potentially get in an additional attack since I was building my strategy around players needing to break the walls.

I have a bad feeling I made a huge mistake by spending my aether stones on defensive structures. Since you will only lose lift every 20 hours from defense losses once you hit 4k lift, I feel like it won't make much of a difference later on. We're relying on the AI to play better than humans, which rarely seems to happen, so we will have to get extremely lucky to not get a defense loss at least once a day. Not only that, but the matchmaking system may just screw us over. I've seen people talking about having 10+ defense battles, but I've only had 3 so far. 

The offense is where everything seems to matter. Even then, you really only need the bonus structure for that season, which will boost your stats during your matches and help you get the extra aether from destroying the fountain and amphorae without losing any units. Now that I spent all my aether stones on seemingly useless defense structures, I might not be able to get extra offensive perks, like the extra offense team member for 300 stones when I get to tier 11. If that extra unit provides 20 more lift per battle, that will kill my rank by not having it.

Also a bit concerned about how ranking will work later on. From what I understand, when we get to tier 21, we will drop back down to 11,000 lift every season. Eventually we will end up with most active players in tier 21 and you will need to play perfectly to stay in the top ranks. I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but if I don't, I might end up in another position like with arena assault, where I have a full team of +10s with maxed out skill sets and I'm struggling to stay in the top 1k rank, just because I decided not to invest in legendary heroes early on.

Honestly even without making an unbeatable defense map, you can sabotage the attackers by making them lose a unit and score less and denying them the aether refills.

I’ve seen some try to time out the opponents by boxing in a bulky unit.

3 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Honestly even without making an unbeatable defense map, you can sabotage the attackers by making them lose a unit and score less and denying them the aether refills.

I’ve seen some try to time out the opponents by boxing in a bulky unit.

Yeah, only villains will have such a scummy way to win.

zdk7ihgw6gx11.png

I waited a while last night before doing my matches to see if keeping my rank down would get me any more defense activity. Still nothing, so I just went ahead and did my matches. I guess it's actually a good thing if nobody gets the chance to dock your lift, but I'd like to actually see my defense team work at least once before then.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My defense team is 3 Razzle Dazzle Pain+ staffies and a dancer with my best impression of a Grand Hero Battle overlap as I could get.

Reveal hidden contents

K6hm2v8.jpg

How high is their Atk? With the stat boosts on Offense, even super Pain stuff might not be enough to kill a high Res unit, especially if units like Aversa are in play

Ugh...Aversa still screws with me. I lost 3 units to her in one match, RIP being in the higher tiers. I think it's time to create more specialized teams instead of relying on my arena core for this.

30 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Ugh...Aversa still screws with me. I lost 3 units to her in one match, RIP being in the higher tiers. I think it's time to create more specialized teams instead of relying on my arena core for this.

Oof yeah with Eirika, you don't have much of a chance to buff people unless it's strictly Tactics. This is definitely a great time to use Fjorm since she can effortlessly handle Aversa, not to mention being a bonus unit and it's Water season for like, the next two months.

@Hilda You know what concerns me, is that the help text mentions that if you demote a tier, your Fortress (D) will rank down. I'm curious how that will play out since 1) at higher tiers, you start a season with the minimum Lift needed to get into said tier, potentially meaning you could lose that tier immediately from a defense loss? and 2) if you're getting in like 2 good offense wins a day, you should be ok to maintain your Lift against the -80 from losses. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Ugh. My performance is terrible. I won all my offenses, but I keep losing units left and right.

I have also lost all 3 of my defense battles. I did manage to reduce the offensive players' score though by killing at least one unit.

1 hour ago, Jingle Bells said:

Yeah, only villains will have such a scummy way to win.

Nice. I will try to simulate that.

9 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My defense team is 3 Razzle Dazzle Pain+ staffies and a dancer with my best impression of a Grand Hero Battle overlap as I could get.

Reveal hidden contents

K6hm2v8.jpg

Cool, so I guess you do not need three cavalry healers. I think I will try this.

36 minutes ago, Johann said:

Oof yeah with Eirika, you don't have much of a chance to buff people unless it's strictly Tactics. This is definitely a great time to use Fjorm since she can effortlessly handle Aversa, not to mention being a bonus unit and it's Water season for like, the next two months.

@Hilda You know what concerns me, is that the help text mentions that if you demote a tier, your Fortress (D) will rank down. I'm curious how that will play out since 1) at higher tiers, you start a season with the minimum Lift needed to get into said tier, potentially meaning you could lose that tier immediately from a defense loss? and 2) if you're getting in like 2 good offense wins a day, you should be ok to maintain your Lift against the -80 from losses. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

honestly i dont know. atm i think i should priotize defense over offense starting from now. (its allready screwd for this season for me). and focus on aether ressource building so you have higher stamina at the beginningbof a season.(more matches = more lift)

Offense is nice but you can allways manipulate the AI as a player and razzle dazzle can keep up with anything. besides you can allways field a +10 killer team

The AI is so dumb that it needs all the help and bonuses it can get. i would have had now 3 defense wins if it werent for the fact i screwed up with the bonus buildings.  though still happy that 1-2 units on the enemy team die. even though of a stat difference of 8

Edited by Hilda

On 9.11.2018 at 2:11 PM, mampfoid said:

I mean the offense loses "lift" by losing a unit. The defense team should lose less lift by getting kills. 

Well if you check the "Aether Raids Is Here" news on the notification board on the main screen under "Repel Your Rivals!" it says: "However, for each member of your opponent's raiding party that is defeated, the amount of Lift lost will be slightly reduced." But I can't remember that being mentioned anywhere in the Aether Raid tutorial itself. I guess we will find out once we are above 4000 points.

To the mode itself. I really like it so far.

Playing on the maps other people build instead of a random map is really nice. Getting to bring 5 Offense teams and choose after seeing the opponent is good to not get drawn against a complete counter. Watching replays and adjusting your defense map in accordance is really fun for the strategist in us.

Only loosing points once every 20 hours is good so that as long as your offense performs and you earn more than you loose you will keep on climbing. So everyone should be able to reach the higher AR Tiers and that's where most of the grails come from. Personal rank is only for more grails and not aether stones meaning that the people at the top need to keep being the best to stay there and not through advantages from past wins.

I haven't spent any ressourcs yet, because my defense can't lose points yet and my offense was able to beat everything with both ressource buildings destroyed and noone lost thanks to the stat boost.

I still have to think about what to commit to and not backing myself into a corner with the wrong buildings and no stones left. I guess the bonus buildings for next season would be a safe bet but I'll see.

May I ask about your opinions on how to spend the dew? There seem to be only three choices, the offense fortress, defense fortress and the ressource building.

Offense seems to be important because if it makes you beat every defense team you can outscore even a defense that loses every match thanks to the 20 hour limit. But if you are confident that you can ace every match either way, the ressource building gives you more attacks per season and is a boost to score. I'm not sure about defense yet. I'm quite sure there are a lot of players, that will be able to beat every defense team nonetheless, so is trying to deny the first loss after 20 hours for some time more valuable than the other options?

1 hour ago, Azuris said:

May I ask about your opinions on how to spend the dew? There seem to be only three choices, the offense fortress, defense fortress and the ressource building.

Offense seems to be important because if it makes you beat every defense team you can outscore even a defense that loses every match thanks to the 20 hour limit. But if you are confident that you can ace every match either way, the ressource building gives you more attacks per season and is a boost to score. I'm not sure about defense yet. I'm quite sure there are a lot of players, that will be able to beat every defense team nonetheless, so is trying to deny the first loss after 20 hours for some time more valuable than the other options?

I feel like Aether pot > offense fort > defense fort.

You want to get the max amount of aether at the start of a season for sure, since that means more matches and more lift. Offense is next since you want to get those bonus stats to ensure you win your matches and don't lose anybody. The defense fort may help you get a defense win, but if I have to pick I'd rather lose some lift from a defense loss than possibly lose a lot more from a bad offense match. And like you say, getting a defense win is a bit of a gamble anyway. It seems almost inevitable that defense fort or not you'll end up with defense losses often anyway unless your team is just that rock solid.