Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Hilda said:

i havent gotten attacked at all today. I wonder do you loose your Aether if you dont enter a match as in you cancel at the preview?

Yes, you do lose the aether if you hit the surrender button during the preview.

My first impressions of Aether Raids are positive. I like customizing my Aether Keep and attacking the enemy forts. I wish I knew about getting a Bolt Tower for the defense bonus before spending all of my materials, but what's done is done.

Personally I would like to be able to set up what music plays in my fort, as well as a getting a building that somehow counters dancers (Dancers are the bane of my existence). I would also like to get resources faster so I can continue tinkering with my fortress and build limited units, but I guess slow and steady is the nature of the mode. At least I like playing Aether Raids since I dislike playing Arena.

For invading, I've done fairly well save for one time I ran into Armor Emblem and had no way to defeat them. Otherwise, my offensive efforts go smoothly, which is no doubt helped by the stat boosts from the Fort (O). Now I'm in Tier 4, I'm sure some savvy tacticians upgraded their defensive forts to try and negate the offensive stat boosts. Hopefully I'll still be able to remain on the offensive and do fairly well.

As for defense, my first setup was mostly messing around before I scrapped it to try something serious. I still haven't won a proper victory (I won one where the invader forgot about the turn limit, they got too greedy for the last aether fountain), but my second team is far more lethal as they can defeat 3 foes out of the 4. I'll need to replace my Kagero though since she is easily countered, especially when the invader can choose from a variety of preset teams.

One of the observations I had is during a failed defense. My opponent deliberately triggered a Shock Trap for a Bride!Cordelia Brave Bow Desperation build. Bride!Cordelia with a PA!Azura killed everything I had. The hostile Alfonse and Fjorm just sat in the back and did nothing. // So, Shock Traps can be used to proc Desperation and then just go to town. I also remember reading someone setting up their Shock Traps so it affects their defense units to proc Vantage, so there may be some merit there.

Overall, Aether Raids are enjoyable. I hope to see improvements to the mode, and maybe some story significance...

Somehow, two people managed to get scores of 2,180 and 2,140, meaning they would've somehow acquired enough Aether to get at least two more fights in. I can only guess that either they are cheating, found an exploit, or some kind of super math wizard

Anyway, thinking more about Rematches, I think they should make them free to do, but not award Lift or Aether, and instead make them reduce the amount of Lift lost from a failed defense. That would let you play the mode more if you want (since most failed defenses don't affect your Lift), and judging from my own Defense list, most people aren't using Rematch

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

I have 15 failures, LMAO, I guess I should be glad there's a mode I'm worse at than Arena~

That is a lot of defense fails, but that is okay. I have not gotten a successful defense either, but at least I did manage to trip some players up by killing at least one of their units, although a couple really skilled players did manage to win perfectly.

On offense, my performance is pretty bad too. I sometimes make stupid mistakes like accidentally leaving my units in enemy range.

36 minutes ago, Sire said:

Personally I would like to be able to set up what music plays in my fort

Yeah! That would be a great idea. I want more aesthetic customizations. Off the top of my head, I want Disturbance in Augustria, Eldigan the Lionheart, Sacred Child of God/You Have Power Like Mine, Together We Ride, and whole bunch of epic songs in Shadows of Valentia.

It would also be great if they release more decorations out soon too. Thrones are nice and all, but I want something that can match the season like Christmas trees or statues of popular characters.

54 minutes ago, Sire said:

My opponent deliberately triggered a Shock Trap for a Bride!Cordelia Brave Bow Desperation build.

Yeah, you definitely want to be careful of where you place your Shock Trap on defense. I frequently use it to lower the health of my Aversa so she can activate Desperation more easily.

On defense, I personally use it as an obstacle to slow down the enemy rather than as an obstacle to deal damage.

43 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It would be awesome to get Kishuna a silencer field that blocks Assist skills.

That is a nice idea. Maybe additional buildings that can block Weapon effects, Specials, A, B, C, and Sacred Seal slots too.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Yeah! That would be a great idea. I want more aesthetic customizations. Off the top of my head, I want Disturbance in Augustria, Eldigan the Lionheart, Sacred Child of God/You Have Power Like Mine, Together We Ride, and whole bunch of epic songs in Shadows of Valentia.

It would also be great if they release more decorations out soon too. Thrones are nice and all, but I want something that can match the season like Christmas trees or statues of popular characters.

@SireSeconded, setting the tune would be absolutely genius

Also I figure they'll have stuff like holiday terrain you can get when December rolls around

1 hour ago, XRay said:

That is a lot of defense fails, but that is okay. I have not gotten a successful defense either, but at least I did manage to trip some players up by killing at least one of their units, although a couple really skilled players did manage to win perfectly.

On offense, my performance is pretty bad too. I sometimes make stupid mistakes like accidentally leaving my units in enemy range.

A couple times I took out one or two units, so I guess it could be worse (I guess I'm not alone at least, LEL)~ For Offense, I either forget the pots or spend too much time baiting them out and forget there's only 7 turns to work with~

5 minutes ago, Johann said:

Also I figure they'll have stuff like holiday terrain you can get when December rolls around

I have not thought about the terrain before!

It would be great if they release a summer beach terrain with lots of cancer choke points water tiles.

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

For Offense, I either forget the pots or spend too much time baiting them out and forget there's only 7 turns to work with~

That happened to me on the first day. I was taking my time Repositioning around but I did not realize there was a turn limit until I got timed (turned?) out.

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

I have not thought about the terrain before!

It would be great if they release a summer beach terrain with lots of cancer choke points water tiles.

I kinda wish we could use any map layout + style, rather than locking them together. It'd be especially cool if you could get the unique styles used in TT final maps, GHBs, etc

4 hours ago, Johann said:

Somehow, two people managed to get scores of 2,180 and 2,140, meaning they would've somehow acquired enough Aether to get at least two more fights in. I can only guess that either they are cheating, found an exploit, or some kind of super math wizard

Anyway, thinking more about Rematches, I think they should make them free to do, but not award Lift or Aether, and instead make them reduce the amount of Lift lost from a failed defense. That would let you play the mode more if you want (since most failed defenses don't affect your Lift), and judging from my own Defense list, most people aren't using Rematch

I am bhaffled myself. Their score isnt even possible unless we are missing something about rematches

Of course I'd fuck up. Why wouldn't I fuck up at some point? I really wish we'd stop having so many godforsaken competitive modes that make me stress out this much. Would it kill them to make game modes that reward you only on your own performance and not your performance relative to everyone else?

Well, I'm down another 40 Lift due to fucking up some more. I'm pretty sure I'm now out of the running for top 1,000 unless enough other players also fuck up.

I'm not looking forward to having to make sure I don't fuck up at all for 14 straight runs.

Furthermore, absolutely no one has challenged my castle in over 48 hours now. What the everloving fuck? With my absolute piece of shit luck, I'm willing to bet the moment I go over 4,000 Lift, I'll just get dogpiled.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Furthermore, absolutely no one has challenged my castle in over 48 hours now. What the everloving fuck? With my absolute piece of shit luck, I'm willing to bet the moment I go over 4,000 Lift, I'll just get dogpiled.

I think they have it set so that you can only lose lift every 20 hours from losing.

Honestly the mode should be pretty casual once we're past the initial rush---you're either consistently good or you're not---so I wouldn't worry too much about things. And this mode does have some personal rewards. That is, rewards based on how much lift you have in absolute terms rather than relative to other people. You get 210 of the building resources and 40 grails if you're in tier 21 (11,000 lift +) regardless of how other people are doing. Which is actually more than the relative rewards.

If I understood it right, the cost for each Aether Battle increases by 1 for each battle... I did 4 battles today: the first one was free, the 2nd battle cost 27, the 3nd cost 28, and the 4th cost 29. The next one will cost 30, which I don't have right now.

23 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

If I understood it right, the cost for each Aether Battle increases by 1 for each battle... I did 4 battles today: the first one was free, the 2nd battle cost 27, the 3nd cost 28, and the 4th cost 29. The next one will cost 30, which I don't have right now.

I am pretty sure @Usana answered this already, but Aether cost is based on Lift, not necessarily on the number of battles. If you got a perfect score by earning 100 Lift, then the cost would go up by 1, but if you did not get a perfect score and your Lift did not go over an interval of 100, then your cost would not increase.

21 hours ago, Usana said:

Two folks who have done the math for us!

Adjusted my team position a bit. Not sure where it went wrong since the replay was broken but I only knocked out two of their units in my latest defense. Between Supports working in Aether Raids and Replays working I would personally take the Replays any day of the week.

29 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

@XRay but I didn't get a perfect score in one of my battles, and the cost still increased by one.

Well if your score was say 1780. Battle would cost 1780/100 + 10 . . .17+10. . . 27. Let us say you lost a unit and got 80 lift, your score would be 1860 which would cost 1860/100 + 10 which is 28.

Damn, I accidentally killed all the enemies on the first turn since I didn't think a maxed out Lukas would die when attacking into my NY Azura. I should have baited with Summer Camilla instead to be safer. I missed both aether items that run and ended up 1 short to do a 3rd match today.

It's kind of a bummer you only get to play 2-3 times a day. Give me aether duel swords or something.

30 minutes ago, Usana said:

Well if your score was say 1780. Battle would cost 1780/100 + 10 . . .17+10. . . 27. Let us say you lost a unit and got 80 lift, your score would be 1860 which would cost 1860/100 + 10 which is 28.

Oh, ok. Now I understood It. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Alkaid said:

Damn, I accidentally killed all the enemies on the first turn since I didn't think a maxed out Lukas would die when attacking into my NY Azura. I should have baited with Summer Camilla instead to be safer. I missed both aether items that run and ended up 1 short to do a 3rd match today.

It's kind of a bummer you only get to play 2-3 times a day. Give me aether duel swords or something.

NY Azura kills a lot more than sometimes seems reasonable, doesn't she?

I still like the practice match idea that gets floated around. If only because I want to see more replays to hone my team. That could even be the daily quest version. Get a Grail for practicing against 3 friends.

Doesn't look like I can break into the top thousand. Wasn't really expecting it since I jumped in early and lost a couple units by being stupid/focusing so much on Aether structures. Also missed lots of Aether structures early on. But despite all that I might be able to stay in the 1001-3000 range. I hope so.

6 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Honestly the mode should be pretty casual once we're past the initial rush

Problem: This is the initial rush.

And this mode does have some personal rewards.

That's not mutually exclusive with having ranking rewards. The problem is not that there are no personal rewards. The problem is that there are rewards that are not personal rewards.

You get 210 of the building resources and 40 grails if you're in tier 21 (11,000 lift +) regardless of how other people are doing. Which is actually more than the relative rewards.

And fewer than also scoring Top 1,000 simultaneously.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's not mutually exclusive with having ranking rewards. The problem is not that there are no personal rewards. The problem is that there are rewards that are not personal rewards.

Given that leaderboards are in every mode, it's pretty clear that they want to try to use that to push people to spend more to get an edge via money. And since this is a gacha, I don't think that problem is ever going to go away so long as they keep making money off of it.

Still haven't gotten a legit defense win yet, but my comp caught a Fjorm sleeping. After taking out all my units except Aversa and Brave Lyn, the attacker had suffered pretty heavy AoE damage from Painscilla. They went to bait Brave Lyn with Ice Mirror... and forgot they were standing right in front of my Bolt Tower on turn 3. Lyn just barely snuck that kill in with 6 damage versus 5 HP. Didn't get to see the rest of the replay, though I can guess it pretty easily, since my replay has Aversa kill their Fae when the game only records one unit lost, so she probably had a support that let her survive with 1 HP and QR kill my Aversa (if not, Aversa would be totally dead on their next PP, anyway).