Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Combat feels sort of less important since without scoring restrictions, any one with nuking potential can just steamroll the enemy team, especially if you have upgraded your Fortress (O) and got a massive stat boost advantage.

Anyone with nuking potential does the exact same in the Arena. That's literally no different. It prevents you from feeding kills to a bonus unit in the Arena, but to my knowledge, no Arena tier list assumes you're aiming for 20 out of 20 kills with a bonus unit (since it's wholly unnecessary for staying in tier 19.5).

As for the stat boost advantage, I would expect that as the meta stabilizes and players have access to more resources to build their map, the advantage would largely disappear due to the high price of upgrading fortresses compared to building new structures.

7 hours ago, Azuris said:

Thanks again, your calculation was spot on. I finished with exactly 10 Aether left and.... 3360 score...

But you couldn't calculate how bad I am.

Everyone screws up, don't be too hard on yourself.

As for me, the game crashed on my first run of the day and it didn't bookmark it, so it counted as a loss. Worse, I ended up with 3 Aether short of an extra run, so I effectively had two runs lost from that. Despite this, I still managed the top 3k so I guess I can't complain that much.

@Hilda new Defense build idea-- bulky units with Miracle, including healers with Restore (so they'll get some free cooldown if Aversa is present), and cooldown skills like Shield Pulse.

I suppose the one major whale favored aspect of this mode is the fact that your own merges don't make the enemies any harder. That is, there's no reason not to +10 all your units unless you have something better to do with the resources (or no resources).

It's still decidedly odd that they made the scoring performance based, though. I can imagine someone slightly better at the game than I am going through this with teams of +0 4*s without any trouble. Although that guy would have to use multiple teams, whereas I can afford to run only one team.

RIP, I got bodied by a team of Pain+ troubadours so I couldn't do my third match. Guess that green throne wasn't meant to be, at least I managed to get to tier 9 and ended with a rank of 13k.

This mode is going to be full of cancerous troubadours so I'm going to unleash Micaiah on them. 

29 minutes ago, Johann said:

Thank you. After looking at the rankings I overestimated the number of people, who would get flawless runs, so my mistake didn't cost me too much. I wanted the highest reward tier at least once as it will likely get harder from now on, so I'm completely happy.

35 minutes ago, Johann said:

As for me, the game crashed on my first run of the day and it didn't bookmark it, so it counted as a loss. Worse, I ended up with 3 Aether short of an extra run, so I effectively had two runs lost from that. Despite this, I still managed the top 3k so I guess I can't complain that much.

Oh god, I am so sorry for you, that is really bad.  i'm just glad it didn't cost you the top 3k, that would have been hard.

10 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

It's still decidedly odd that they made the scoring performance based, though. I can imagine someone slightly better at the game than I am going through this with teams of +0 4*s without any trouble. Although that guy would have to use multiple teams, whereas I can afford to run only one team.

Remember that since you can build 5 teams and pick which one to use after you've seen your enemy's map, there's no reason to not build a variety of diverse line-ups. Using an unmerged character with a specific set of skills is your best choice in some situations since they are perfect in that moment. A lot of people are struggling against cavalry units like Veronica, for instance, so it does well to bring along anyone who can either withstand their attacks, or effortlessly kill cavalry.

10 minutes ago, Johann said:

Remember that since you can build 5 teams and pick which one to use after you've seen your enemy's map, there's no reason to not build a variety of diverse line-ups.

There is one, actually.

The teams I pilot tend to be exceedingly versatile to the point that they are advantaged in all match-ups. But they're also very unforgiving most of the time, to the point where one mistake means you lose a unit. So it's usually better that I use the team I'm more familiar with than the team that's 'better' versus the match-up, considering I'm advantaged either way.

That's not to say I don't have 4 teams lined up (basically the bonus unit replacing 1 unit on my main team 4 times), but I ran all but one fight with Azura, Aversa, Cordelia, Lyn. (That one fight happened to be easier with Azura, Aversa, Lyn, Reinhardt because Lyn needed 7 extra Spd to double a R-Tomebreaker Aversa on defense---I didn't need to run the team, but it made things a lot simpler if I could counter-kill Aversa as the first move.)

The running 5 teams thing is mostly useful for defensive teams---which have bigger variance on performance based on the enemy.

Ended season 1 at rank 577 and got my gold throne. :^_^:

Can't place it until Tier 21 ;_; But ehhhhh gonna take it easy from here on out, once you start losing lift for defense it's going to become a clusterfuck and it'll take ages to climb higher even with perfect offensive play, so why rush.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

RIP, I got bodied by a team of Pain+ troubadours so I couldn't do my third match. Guess that green throne wasn't meant to be, at least I managed to get to tier 9 and ended with a rank of 13k.

This mode is going to be full of cancerous troubadours so I'm going to unleash Micaiah on them. 

That's great. I do the same thing. Micaiah counters the meta quite nicely in this game mode and formerly arena prior to bonus unit requirement to get kills. Are you going to use double distant def and vantage combo? This one take care of Brave Lyn and Reinhard pretty easily. Unless Brave Lyn has Brave Bow and you don't have vantage or if Lyn has Firesweep which is rare to see. 

Pain+ troubadours can be countered by raven tome builds as well. I use Cecelia for this job as well. 

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

That's great. I do the same thing. Micaiah counters the meta quite nicely in this game mode and formerly arena prior to bonus unit requirement to get kills. Are you going to use double distant def and vantage combo? This one take care of Brave Lyn and Reinhard pretty easily. Unless Brave Lyn has Brave Bow and you don't have vantage or if Lyn has Firesweep which is rare to see. 

Pain+ troubadours can be countered by raven tome builds as well. I use Cecelia for this job as well. 

Yeah, I've used her quite a bit on AA and she's one of the best meta counters in the game right now. 

For Aether raids I'm a bit more inclined towards Player Phase so I'll probably use the Death Blow/Desperation/Brash Assault build. Micaiah has enough Res to take at 1 or 2 rounds of Pain+ and then she'll just ORKO all those healers with the help of Reposition/Dancers.

2 hours ago, dethneer said:

Ended season 1 at rank 577 and got my gold throne. :^_^:

Can't place it until Tier 21 ;_; But ehhhhh gonna take it easy from here on out, once you start losing lift for defense it's going to become a clusterfuck and it'll take ages to climb higher even with perfect offensive play, so why rush.

I get the feeling it'll become a molasses pace once those lift loses happen + the increasing cost. That's my main gripe with this mode, and I don't think I can manage a defense team that'll actually wipe people. (both of my current wins seem like people who forgot the turn limit) Aside from a basic Veronica, I don't think I have many scary defense units.

6 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Uh, I didn't know you can check the score of your friends (why can't I battle their teams??). You are the best of my friend list in this mode @Alkaid. Congrats, great score!

Haha, thanks! I lucked out and didn't run into many really nasty teams, so I only lost 2 units. I did miss enough aether to miss out on the "extra" run, but it didn't affect staying in the top 3k. (I think was like 500-ish with my score)

4 hours ago, Johann said:

@Hilda new Defense build idea-- bulky units with Miracle, including healers with Restore (so they'll get some free cooldown if Aversa is present), and cooldown skills like Shield Pulse.

I am actually thinking of building 3 Additional +10 merged Azamas. but then again no offense doesnt mean much threat. atm elise and veronica are doing a hood job together with a dancer. they both also run restore.

Also thinking about fielding my +10 Sonya with an inf pulse team for AoE madness as defense

19 minutes ago, dethneer said:

There was that guy on Reddit who had fully merged Azama emblem, it was hilarious. He got a lot of wins just by stalling people out. Maybe if this becomes common people will start running Kagero to one shot Azama lol

doesnt even need kagero, as long as you have high magical nuking power. Besides baiting Azama is easy because he basicly cant harm anything with more then 30 Res.

However with enough upgrades into Defense fortress he can become quite sturdy/hard to kill with +4 to all stats. and i can see then being able to Time out, Especially with a combo of Miracle inf pulse, chill spd chill atk, witchy wand etc. 

or you run a clusterfuck of drive res/def or distant guard(Lucina) to make him sturdier. There is alot of possibilitys. That way he can reach like 50 to mid 50 in both def and res

Edited by Hilda

Well finished somewhere in the 7000s with a fair amount of mistakes along the way, but top 10k was always the goal so mission accomplished. 

On an unrelated note, I think I'm actually going to use my extra Loki since the ability to break up some of these crazy bait strats with Thokk seams invaluable, going to have to put some time in the lab with her.

Also if anyone could clue me in on how to make a functional defense team that lacks most of the usual trappings I'd appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Hilda said:

On a sidenote my Arvis is now +6 yaie!

Nice! Good luck getting the last 4.

I'm missing exactly one ... yeah one Grail to +10 M!Marth. 

5 hours ago, Eilanzer said:

if i can remember you start the season where you end on the last one

Ok, that would make it possible to reach higher tiers this year. 

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

I am actually thinking of building 3 Additional +10 merged Azamas. but then again no offense doesnt mean much threat. 

7 turns is few if you have to open four nuts made of rock. 

Why should I build these special structures apart from  aesthetic reasons? 

39 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

@mampfoid Yeah you start a new season at the lowest value of whatever tier you finished in.

I started with the lift from last season (missing 20 lift to the next tier).