Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

29 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

They need to implement a no-aether no-lift mode, and quickly.

or something. like i go for the aether thingers. and you get 3.big whoop, when i need 41. 

17 minutes ago, Tree said:

I was thinking that it might cap at 50, but it does not. That's possibly the reason for the daily free run, but I don't feel that the free run is a good solution.

well that's what i thought too. 
i mean. for me. i don't mind aether raids, and if i get grails, and i can get like some units i didn't get to have (Joshua, and Eliwood, and Walhart) or something - coolbeans. but the fact that it's

100 per unit. 
then 150 +50 then +500. 

I'd rather map quests or something to unlock them vs. .. what it is now. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sad that it was devolved into hide a high defense unit in a corner or have ranged cavalry with dancer with no pull point that doesn't lead to death (Mostly because the unit in question is brave Veronica running double savage blow) and you can't get to them because of buildings and traps.

It's just a bit disappointing really. It means Grails will slow down a lot after this set. I just wanted a fun game mode that I could take calmly with little worry but it's just another game mode where there is 2 starts and if you don't follow them your probably going to lose so you have to play super carefully.

We should be able to fight our friends castles for free though thats my main gripe atm, Much like arena it's not that fun when it's just random people 100% of the time.

1 minute ago, DemolisherBPB said:

I'm just sad that it was devolved into hide a high defense unit in a corner or have ranged cavalry with dancer with no pull point that doesn't lead to death (Mostly because the unit in question is brave Veronica running double savage blow) and you can't get to them because of buildings and traps.

It's just a bit disappointing really. It means Grails will slow down a lot after this set. I just wanted a fun game mode that I could take calmly with little worry but it's just another game mode where there is 2 starts and if you don't follow them your probably going to lose so you have to play super carefully.

We should be able to fight our friends castles for free though thats my main gripe atm, Much like arena it's not that fun when it's just random people 100% of the time.

right?!

we could have SF battles!!

I'm guessing this was all balanced around upgrading the Aether Fountain, then, for some reason, they decided that they were going to disable upgrades for (or place the requirement super high, I guess?). If the cost scaling never caps, there's absolutely no way anyone is hitting Tier 21 without a level 3 Aether Fountain, given that the current top spot is nowhere close and it's nearing the end of the season (where everyone gets dropped back down).

8 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

I'm guessing this was all balanced around upgrading the Aether Fountain, then, for some reason, they decided that they were going to disable upgrades for (or place the requirement super high, I guess?). If the cost scaling never caps, there's absolutely no way anyone is hitting Tier 21 without a level 3 Aether Fountain, given that the current top spot is nowhere close and it's nearing the end of the season (where everyone gets dropped back down).

Yeah it's pretty clear the mode can't function fir long without a fountain upgrade. I guess they just wanted a couple weeks a data for how fast people could progress without one. I'd certainly expect some balance tweeks in 3.0 since the mode will have had 3ish seasons under its belt.

I'm selfishly hoping they also limit offense and defense teams to 1 dancer a piece. Probably not going to happen but a man can dream.

Ha! I picked a rematch and I saw that they copied my map! And I failed the rematch and all my battles today.

52 minutes ago, dethneer said:

I want to fight +10 Surtr on someone's AR map but no one has had one so far, I've only run into him in AA. :(:

I fought one earlier today. Forgit how many merges but I don't think it was +10. The guy either forgot or didn't know you shouldn't run armor march on him so it was easy to deal with.

Got a surge of defenses right after the reset. 1 success, 3 fails killing 3 enemy units, and 1 fail with no kills. Guess which one was the first of the day? 80 lift down again. This is a rough luck of the draw so far.

I really should wait for weekend to use my aether. today was better, no messing up.
Still at the end I would need 1 def win tomorrow at the start and 200 Lift to be around 4800, If I just would have been a bit smarter yesterday I would be at least save there..
No use, I use this mode to learn more about defense setups and variety in offensive. All those similar teams in Arena dulled me. 

Since adding Surtr on my defense team I havent lost a defense yet. Looking at the replays it seems to me people just dont know how to deal with him. Im just enjoying not losing lift.

Edit: jinxed it! Lol. Someone that saved stones and allready had a fifth character. No lift lost luckily.

Edited by Falter

I sent some feedback for Aether Raids, most of it what I said previously (I like the mode, Anti-Dancer Anti-Assist Tower, concerns about rewards and rankings). However, I also tossed in the idea of an Unranked Aether Raid mode which uses a separate Aether Keep, so players can create "for fun" maps instead of competitive ones. Unranked does not cost any Aether, but doesn't give any rewards either.

It also seems like my main Team Comp has changed. While I still use my classics (Ryoma, Ephraim, Nino, "Extra"), I now tend to use Black Knight, Veronica, Gunnthrá, and the Extra (currently Smolzura). Black Knight kills things, Veronica kills things, and Gunnthra debuffs and repositions things. I guess I'm late for finding out how powerful Veronica is.

19 hours ago, XRay said:

Ha! I picked a rematch and I saw that they copied my map! And I failed the rematch and all my battles today.

Had a similar experience today.

Yesterday I got my first defense loss that made me lose lift, but it was only 60 because my team killed a unit. Today it was only 40 because they killed two. So I was very happy and tried rematch for the first time against the player that lost 2 units against my team and ... I lost all units. offffff. Next match I lost 2 units again. 120 lift lost ... 

I don't have good enough units to assemble a strong enough defense to avoid losing 80 lift everyday. Instead I reworked my defense to suicide before anyone can reach the pots. It's been working. Nobody have gotten my pots since, when people used to at least try to get them, at least on this tier.

Edited by Qilin

My strategy for picking defensive rematches:

1) Did they bring a weak, unmerged raid party? If yes, move on to step 2

2) Did they demonstrate suboptimal tactical play during their offensive attempt, revealing a lack of mastery over combat mechanics? If yes, move on to step 3

3) REVENGE LEVEL OVER 9000

Otherwise leave them alone

This is only until I get a second gold throne for my other account that needs to play catch up, at which point everybody gets revenged hehe

I know right is too limited and it is hard to get a defense win. 

Also, I decided that I'm going use all of my grails to build a +10 Ethlyn. That will take very long though. 

Also, I already have Leif but still need Quan and Altena is not available yet. I don't know much about these characters but it will be a great themed team. 

Also I saw this on Reddit, it's supposed to represent a spoiler for the Genealogy game so watch at your own risk. 

Spoiler

2m94o7lppdz11.jpg

I said also so many times. 

Edited by Smog

Yeah I went for revenge this morning, but man oh man was it a shitshow of a defense map:

aratkmap2.thumb.jpg.472f03d4ec3bd2160344ea19f85fc09d.jpg

Fortunately, I don't need pots at all for the rest of this season, so it was pretty easy to win by sending in Ike and Ursula. I can't recall the last time I saw a map that didn't have Veronica with a dancer, and most have had Lyn as well. I have a feeling that keeping ranged cavalry and dancers will be a necessity to handle these opponents for a while, and it's only going to get worse as people start building teams of 5 and match the Fortress level. I'm thinking they need to do something to penalize certain characters (like whoever the most used non-bonus units were that previous season) because nearly every layout is the same now; Spring Breeze, Fortress funneling your approach, Veronica and other ranged cavalry, dancer, pots tucked behind it all.

For now, I'm bummed that I'll end up barely short of Tier 14 because of Def losses, which is going to reset my score to base for Tier 13.

Edited by Johann

At this rate, playing casually should have me dropping out of top 3k in like 1 or 2 more weeks---which is honestly fine.

(Ended up ~1.7k 2 hours ago, meaning I'm safe for top 3k this week.)

Keeping up with bonus units would cost a lot of orbs in the long run, and I don't really like the 'evergreen' bonus units like Alphonse etc. enough to invest heavily in them. (Since they're melee and all.) So it means my teams will probably end up being my main team carrying a dead-weight in the long run, which will get annoying since my team is designed around 'fair' fights. (That is, 4v4s. Unfair fights they need to hit and run, which isn't always reliable depending on map placement.)

That said, the fact that teams will be 5 man for a while (and possibly 6 man, depending on whether the 6 man teams are defense only or not), might make team-building a bit more interesting. (Tactics should go down in value, while Type Buffs get even more slot efficient.)

Whelp. Need 54 Aether to play my last match and I have 53. Why do the game devs try their hardest to make sure I can't play the mode they created? I hope everyone is sending feedback for this. Needing to break pots just to ensure you get even 2 matches a day is beyond absurd.

^Was the opposite for me, had exactly enough aether for one more match and ended the season at 0 aether. Apparently I miscalculated, I thought I would be short 4 aether so I considered not going for the pots in the penultimate match, went for them anyway as a stupidity failsafe (ALWAYS HAVE A MATH STUPIDITY FAILSAFE) and it turned out to be exactly what I needed. Incidentally, for my last fight I finally found someone who had 5 defenders, was a fun battle!

Well, I made it to 5280 lift, so thankfully I will start in tier 14 next season, even if I get a full defense loss later today.

Think I am going to go with the 5th offense team member since it seems defense battles are literally uncontrollable in every way. Lost a total of 200 lift from defense losses this week and had 14 defense battles, yet somehow my friend managed to get attacked a total of one time throughout the whole week. It can get pretty crazy trying to take out a 5 unit team and get the aether structures with only 7 turns and 4 units, so investing in offense may be useful, especially if they decide to unlock the fountain upgrade soon. More people will have 5 unit defense teams next week as well, and probably more cluttered maps, so I'm a bit worried about that.

20 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Well, I made it to 5280 lift, so thankfully I will start in tier 14 next season, even if I get a full defense loss later today.

I thought I recognised you. You're the highest ranked of my friends, in case you were wondering.

20 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Think I am going to go with the 5th offense team member since it seems defense battles are literally uncontrollable in every way. Lost a total of 200 lift from defense losses this week and had 14 defense battles, yet somehow my friend managed to get attacked a total of one time throughout the whole week. It can get pretty crazy trying to take out a 5 unit team and get the aether structures with only 7 turns and 4 units, so investing in offense may be useful, especially if they decide to unlock the fountain upgrade soon. More people will have 5 unit defense teams next week as well, and probably more cluttered maps, so I'm a bit worried about that.

I would recommend the 5th team member to everyone, I've already had three matches so far that I would have lost if I didn't have five units to work with.