Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

I'm starting to bump into a lot of B!Lyn, Reinhardt, Veronica and dancer teams at Tier 11 and they're rage inducing...still trying to figure out a way to counter them without a Cecilia since I don't have one. 

On the plus side, I got attacked 5 times today and had 4 successful defenses and managed to defeat 2 foes on the sole defeat so I'm pretty proud of my team. 

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I'm starting to bump into a lot of B!Lyn, Reinhardt, Veronica and dancer teams at Tier 11 and they're rage inducing...still trying to figure out a way to counter them without a Cecilia since I don't have one.

Kid Azura can fulfill that role, at least while she's getting the bonus stats. Her tome is also helpful for baiting.

I had to leave the battle and close the phone for a whike because of an emergency. It counted as a defeat even tho i only needed to kill 1 dancer   left.

Other game modes would have let me finish it when i opened the app again, Aether Raids doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Qilin said:

I want to think my defense finally got good, but it is more likely that the good players have simply moved above my tier.

It's staggering how differently people will approach maps. The ones that lose tend to fall into setups or scramble around the map without a real plan, or in some cases, send in the wrong kinds or underdeveloped units. The ones that crush it tend to be much more calculated with their moves, and build their teams either diversely or with good support. Whichever kind of player gets your map is up to luck, really. I'm surprised to be matched against people even 2 tiers beneath me, which makes me wonder how the matchmaking functions.

Only once have I seen someone think to Reposition a teammate onto a trap tile, which will activate the trap's effect (ie: bolt damage), but not take the resposition'd character's turn from them. 

4 hours ago, Eilanzer said:

are you using triangle adept+bowbreaker with smolzura?!

She doesn’t need those skills, her resistance is already excellent, and she can’t be doubled.

27 minutes ago, Johann said:

It's staggering how differently people will approach maps. The ones that lose tend to fall into setups or scramble around the map without a real plan, or in some cases, send in the wrong kinds or underdeveloped units. The ones that crush it tend to be much more calculated with their moves, and build their teams either diversely or with good support. Whichever kind of player gets your map is up to luck, really. I'm surprised to be matched against people even 2 tiers beneath me, which makes me wonder how the matchmaking functions.

Only once have I seen someone think to Reposition a teammate onto a trap tile, which will activate the trap's effect (ie: bolt damage), but not take the resposition'd character's turn from them. 

Hmmmm Smite strategies into Bolt trap with Galeforce and wings of mercy shenanigans?!? Actually i am thinking that Smite might be a better positioning skill to disarm traps because the unit using smite usually will be outside of danger range

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

Hmmmm Smite strategies into Bolt trap with Galeforce and wings of mercy shenanigans?!? Actually i am thinking that Smite might be a better positioning skill to disarm traps because the unit using smite usually will be outside of danger range

It can be, yeah. The worst thing you can encounter is a restrictive passage that doesn't let you use any of those skills, really. Not sure I'd give up Reposition for its use as a safety measure, but Smite definitely has a lot of potential depending on the setup.

Somewhat related, I almost think Pass should have an extra effect where it doesn't trigger traps. Or maybe give dagger units the innate ability to break them without triggering them.

23 minutes ago, Johann said:

It can be, yeah. The worst thing you can encounter is a restrictive passage that doesn't let you use any of those skills, really. Not sure I'd give up Reposition for its use as a safety measure, but Smite definitely has a lot of potential depending on the setup.

Somewhat related, I almost think Pass should have an extra effect where it doesn't trigger traps. Or maybe give dagger units the innate ability to break them without triggering them.

I lost a map because i couldnt deal with something i never saw or anticipated.... Spring Xander with a Berkuts Lance sporting, A Slot Fortress Defense Resistance, B-Slot Lunge, C-Slot Atk smoke and as a seal... Obstruct. He had like 42+ res and def. I coulnt reach the other units and i couldnt bait him safe without loosing a unit due to Lunge and Obstruct shenanigans.

Edited by Hilda

2 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I lost a map because i couldnt deal with something i never saw or anticipated.... Spring Xander with a Berkuts Lance sporting, A Slot Fortress Defense Resistance, B-Slot Lunge, C-Slot Atk smoke and as a seal... Obstruct. He had like 42+ res and def. I coulnt reach the other units and i couldnt bait him safe without useing a unit due to Lunge and Obstruct shenanigans.

What does your Offense team look like usually?

Just now, Johann said:

What does your Offense team look like usually?

depends. its either Reinhardt Veronica Aversa + Bonus or Clair + Marth + Veronica + Bonus unit and then some other Teams. and before you say it, no i couldnt bait with Clair because of Brave Lyn... I seriously need to dig out a Cecilia Gronnraven shit...

In this case the bonus unit was Smolzura and the map layout was horrible

1 hour ago, Johann said:

That's actually a trick I've been using for quite some time now and is one of the reasons the armors on my team run Reposition instead of Swap (the other reason is because they really need the extra mobility from Reposition).

11 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Spring Xander with a Berkuts Lance sporting, A Slot Fortress Defense Resistance, B-Slot Lunge, C-Slot Atk smoke and as a seal... Obstruct. He had like 42+ res and def.

I am so glad someone out there sees Spring Xander's magnificence as one of the best mixed walls in the game.

6 minutes ago, Johann said:

ISomewhat related, I almost think Pass should have an extra effect where it doesn't trigger traps. Or maybe give dagger units the innate ability to break them without triggering them.

MADA. Oh wait, they were never good in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Screwed up an easily winnable def rematch because I'm dumb and destroyed a Street lamp when I really shouldn't have. Ended up losing 2 units for my stupidity. *Facepalm*

they definitly need to tone down the amount of  clusterfuck of buildings allowed on defense maps...

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's actually a trick I've been using for quite some time now and is one of the reasons the armors on my team run Reposition instead of Swap (the other reason is because they really need the extra mobility from Reposition).

I am so glad someone out there sees Spring Xander's magnificence as one of the best mixed walls in the game.

I recreated something similar with Sigurd:

Tyrfing
A: Steady Stance 4 (yes a Surtr died for it)
B: Lunge
C: Flexible
S: Deflect Magic 3

ecxept that compared to Xander he is much weaker to dragons.

1 hour ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Screwed up an easily winnable def rematch because I'm dumb and destroyed a Street lamp when I really shouldn't have. Ended up losing 2 units for my stupidity. *Facepalm*

I screwed up one by being half asleep and not changing out Owain (who doesn't have DC) to Joshua on a team with Flying!Nino. Was steamrolled, it was embarrassing, it's only the 2nd one I've lost. And now I refuse to play when first waking up. Haha. I'll stick to Arena where people can't see my half asleep strategies. LOL.

I'm becoming more acclimated to the ceaseless Veronica/Lyn/dancer/cavalry spam that makes up most of my matches (+0 Lyon is proving to be one of my best units here), but today I got greedy for Aether pots and winded up losing two units for it.  It was so easily preventable too -- had I just waited a turn I could have gotten my units safely out of range, then gone for the pots.  I have my Tactics Room structure placed second from right, and it's amazing how many castles I've fought that build bottlenecks right at that spot, which then totally backfires on them.  It's those little mistakes that infuriate me the most.  

Speaking of horse teams...

image.png.e350c94b1cb8915a25f15e3e197ef79b.png

why would you take the most mobile characters in the game and put them in a box to be sniped one by one....lol

even more embarrassingly i almost lost a unit to this team, I've never fought a boxed in team before and didn't realize the AI doesn't move towards their target if they don't have a path, so my master plan of luring them all to the side didn't work. my bolt tower actually had the opposite effect and lured veronica out of sniping range when she went to heal.

had to open up a hole to let them out and was fully prepared to lose somebody for my mistake, until it turned out the team was set up so that the dancer moves first XD

Just came back after 3 or so days of not playing and was greeted by several hilarious defense replays of galeforce Ephraim ripping through enemy teams.

Best one was probably the perfect defense against a 5 unit attacker with him taking out 3 units in a single turn with galeforce+WoM dancer nonsense.

Map and aforementioned team:

B7E8BA30-4F5D-483A-B847-CAF479C3840C.png

Edited by Korath88

Given how effective Galeforce horses have been in getting me wins I am thinking about adding in a Green Galeforcer. Currently I have the Legendary Twins for my red and blue. Eirika runs QP in the seal and Ephraim HB. For Green cavalry it seems like Groom Marth is the fastest option. But he can't run Flashing Blade. Boy do I hate that restriction. If I assume Flashing Blade then Raven is probably the best bet. I have never drawn a +SPD Raven though, so I would have to settle for +ATK/-RES which is my current base. He would have the bonus of overlapping with the two cavs movement pretty easily.

But yeah Galeforce is wiping the foes out big time.

5bff9a734a795_Capture_2018-11-29-02-40-22.thumb.png.e1a9d4bc56e1101670f64ff21e5148a2.png

Nothing but respect for the person who put this keep together. Naturally all the summonable Xanders were +10. I wish I had the confidence for a meme defense.

Finally got a break from Horses and dancers today, although that nasty Surtr armor comp i got instead was equally nerve wracking. Still can't complain about 2 perfect runs though.

I think the difficulty is starting to become better adjusted as people are filtered into their appropriate tiers. I don't seem to be raiding completely overpowered teams anymore, and my defense is starting to be able to win. Right now the most challenging thing for me is to convert my team from a quickly suicide one to one that lasts. My Eirika always seems to overextend due to being on horseback.