Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

7 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Thanks, that is kind of you, but while Maaka will most likely charge ahead, you and I will probably meet in tier 19 next week.

And congratulations on your catch-up, you should have a nice starting spot for getting top 3k this time.

And another congratulations on the two Eirs. While I might be a little bit jealous, that you got them so fast, I am more happy you didn't have to go through the same sadness.

Such high expectations of me... I feel like I'm not even going to come close really lol. Just 200 points to spare is going to be way too hard. Testing out my defense team and I feel like it's going to crash and burn hard with the right strategy.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DarkAlf I got rank 2221. It’s a large difference even though there’s only 140 points, so I’ll have to be at my best to remain at the top ranking.

The bump in fort competency will be hard, but your team will be stronger with your Fae back so I’m sure you’ll do well.

@Azuris Thanks, good luck to you too. Ethlyn is my Pain+ user, since the grails are for her I’ll have to squeeze her in somehow.

Managed to squeak by into T19 this week at 8380 total, even after goofing hard and losing one match early in the week. Thankfully I got RNG'd on defense and only ate a -140 total (2 -60s and a -20). Really wish I had managed to pull more Eirs, it would have been a much more relaxing week getting 120-160 instead of 110 per match. Only 1 or 2 more ticket circles to open I believe, so my hopes are not high.

40 minutes ago, Maaka said:

Such high expectations of me...

Well, you are a top 10 player now.

27 minutes ago, Azuni said:

Managed to squeak by into T19 this week at 8380 total, even after goofing hard and losing one match early in the week. Thankfully I got RNG'd on defense and only ate a -140 total (2 -60s and a -20). Really wish I had managed to pull more Eirs, it would have been a much more relaxing week getting 120-160 instead of 110 per match. Only 1 or 2 more ticket circles to open I believe, so my hopes are not high.

Congratulations on T19 and even with only one Eir, you were so close to me on the rankings I can give you a hug, despite you having worse scoring opportunities.

And good luck with summoning, I hope you can get at least one Eir.

Did someone here commit to a 1000 dew fortress yet?

I fought someone with a defense fortress 3+1 and 3 Surtr, with bonus stats on his side it took me to the last turn to get the aether buildings and his last unit down, despite axebreaker Aversa and axebreaker bladetome Summer Tana, which did already cost me score to bring.

I think I might just go with the offense fortress, because my offense has brought me to this point and T20 is reachable with lift from offense during light season. I am even thinking about upgrading the ladder instead of getting a 6th defender, because I just don't have the units that could really cause problems for attackers and the people in tier 19 didn't get there because they lose againt bad defense teams.

Edited by Azuris

2 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Did someone commit to a 1000 dew fortress yet?

I fought someone with a defense fortress 3+1 and 3 Surtr, with bonus stats on his side it took me to the last turn to get the aether buildings and his last unit down, despite axebreaker Aversa and axebreaker bladetome Summer Tana, which did already cost me score to bring.

I upgraded Fort O to lv3 at the start of last season, can confirm it was incredibly useful for the stat advantage. (And last week proved how RNG-reliant upgrading Fort D is in comparison, since I only got attacked on 3 out of the 6 days)

That triple Surtr team with lv3+1 Fort D sounds familiar, was it on the desert fortress map with an Aversa and Gunnthra in each top corner? It was pretty scary not having the stat bonus there, so I just winged it with my own Surtr on the defense tile, and my own Aversa supporting him with chip damage.

5 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Did someone commit to a 1000 dew fortress yet?

I think I might just go with the offense fortress, because my offense has brought me to this point and T20 is reachable with lift from offense during light season. I am even thinking about upgrading the ladder instead of getting a 6th defender, because I just don't have the units that could really cause problems for attackers and the people in tier 19 didn't get there because they lose againt bad defense teams.

I grabbed the 1000 dew offensive fort. Now that 6 unit defense teams are going to be everywhere, I am anticipating some really dangerous maps. Since defense matches are still pretty hard to control in top tiers, I thought it would be a bit wiser to invest more in offense. Although, it is necessary for getting to T20 this week, so I decided to build the level 2 defense fort as well since I had enough stones for the 6th unit thanks to the free 300 this week.

18 minutes ago, Azuni said:

I upgraded Fort O to lv3 at the start of last season, can confirm it was incredibly useful for the stat advantage. (And last week proved how RNG-reliant upgrading Fort D is in comparison, since I only got attacked on 3 out of the 6 days)

14 minutes ago, Maaka said:

I grabbed the 1000 dew offensive fort. Now that 6 unit defense teams are going to be everywhere, I am anticipating some really dangerous maps. Since defense matches are still pretty hard to control in top tiers, I thought it would be a bit wiser to invest more in offense.

Thanks a lot to both of you. If you both did it, it can't be a bad idea, so I go with offense as well.

20 minutes ago, Azuni said:

That triple Surtr team with lv3+1 Fort D sounds familiar, was it on the desert fortress map with an Aversa and Gunnthra in each top corner? It was pretty scary not having the stat bonus there, so I just winged it with my own Surtr on the defense tile, and my own Aversa supporting him with chip damage.

Yes, that was it. Normally I like when they wall in some of their units, but these debuffs were really annoying while dealing with the Surtr gang on top of the stat disadvantage.

5 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Strange experience for me this week. While again I didn't even get a single kill on defense.. I only lost 160 points total since only 4 people fought me, 3 of which were on the first day. After the second day of the week, I got no defense results anymore. Maybe I should try the "hide the Surtr" meta you guys are talking about to prepare for next week, though like @XRay said, I find those maps pretty trivial when I encounter them myself. So I'm surprised to hear they're actually working that well. My Surtr's not light blessed and is -def, though, so I guess I probably can't do it well anyway.

Mind that the Surtr maps are trivial.

It's just that even the top 10k is full of mediocre players. I'd even rate myself as mediocre with my double Eir setup---the team isn't bad, exactly, but if I play my hyper-offensive teams at 80% potential or so I'm using double Eir at, like, 20%. There's a lot of high level AI manipulation by Smiting Surtr & co. into an exact spot in the middle of the enemy team that completely cripples them---2 move units can't move around each other to hit him, horses plink him for 0---but I can't do them properly because I'm nowhere near that level with the 3 protect 2 teams I'm running.

Edit: And Surtr's a bit worse this season because you can't stack Eir's blessing stats on him---I swapped to a 5 armor stall team rather than my double Eir, 3 armor, with a 75 hp, 50 def/res Surtr in a corner build I used last season.

Edited by DehNutCase

Unlike last week, I actually had a few Succesful defense this week! My second account has a Surtr stalling map (with L!Lucina, Red Micaiah to counter Cecilias, Ward ARmour Jakob and Miracle Maribelle). Just kind of sucks how in the end the first battle would always be the loss while the other battles would be a Success only after I lost the important first battle.

Main account's defenses had an okay success rate as well, had no Surtr but I did have a good stalling setup if people are greedy for water (and even a place where a ranged unit gets stuck in a pocket with a fortress after my Armor Marched dragons get dances after the initiating the battle. There is a bit of a flaw if you just focus on the units but 1 success is good enough for me.

Also had a few days where I avoided people so that helped with not losing too much lift. Unfortunately I was rather bad in offense this week though since enemy Surtrs (and trying to shoehorn Eir in) were kind of annoying

My defence team preformed admirably over the last week, far too many people din't check Caeda's skills and would lose a unit to galeforce shenanigans, I'm very tempted to give horse Chrom galeforce too because he can activate it one turn and most people tend to lure him EP then finish him off PP which would give them a nasty surprise if he had galeforce  

@DarkAlf @Azuris Thanks a lot! I hope I can keep doing okay even without the Eirs, but good luck to you guys hitting those upper tiers too. At least it's not a huge gap in grail gains between the upper tiers, but I'm more annoyed by the principal that if you couldn't pull X copies of X unit you're gated from 21 now, and possibly 20 too. Plus it's not always light week, so they also expect you to get a second set of astra bonus units and blessings to work with on top of the light stuff. That's way more than my orbs could keep up with anyway.

I have a lot of fun with this mode regardless, but man were the 3.0 changes to it a bummer. I guess we were naive to think they were just going to let us upgrade the fountain soon so we'd just get to do more matches to reach the final ranks.

@DehNutCase It's too bad even team building has been gimped with the need for Eir spam and blessing stacks. At least there's only a couple GHB/TT units I care about merges, so missing a few grails a week would feel worse if I was working on more. I don't really care about the bragging rights half of it now, since lift/tier is not a representation that you played well anymore.(especially when you consider that with maxed out lift bonuses someone can lose a couple units and still score as much or more than a player doing perfect matches without any) They kind of one-upped arena's scoring issues. (I can at least hit 21 every other week there without needing 180 BST and blessings)

@Azuris I'll third the idea of upgrading to the Level 3 Offensive Fortress.  That saved my bacon these last two weeks, and had a huge part in my comeback.  The bonus structure for the week (catapult this week, infantry school next time) makes it essentially Level 4.  If I make Top 3K next week, the comeback will be complete.  I've given up on defense for now, although I'll have to get serious about it when I get to Tier 19.  As it is, I'm still thrilled to make it to this spot, though!  I'm glad I didn't make you too jealous of my Eirs!  May you be blessed with many copies of them!

@Baldrick As you mentioned, I'll get Fae (plus Gwendolyn) back, and I actually run a second team: Brave Lyn w/Brave Bow+, LA!Lilina, blue Olwen and Magic Eirika, the latter three all with bladetomes, and bonus Laevatein.  (My other three teams are a mix of these or other units for special situations.)  This will help, especially with no bonus points other than the bonus unit for next week.

@Alkaid Thank you!  That annoys me as well about having to be forced to pull X copies of mythic hero Y for scoring.  I really got lucky this time.  In the future, if I pull for more mythic heroes, I'll only pull for at most 2 copies, if that, but my orbs are focused on merging legendary heroes.  I don't have any particular unit I'm saving my grails for; I likely won't decide for a few months since there isn't really anyone I need to merge right now.

Before I begin invading, I take at least a couple of minutes to examine the map for problematic structures, skills of the enemy, enemy range, etc., and then I come up with a plan to take them out while breaking the aether pots before actually entering the battle.  I run a lot of calculations in my head with stat boosts to see if, as an example, a +Def/-HP Eir with Atk/Def link from Laevatein and Iote's Shield can tank and counter a Brave Lyn with Brave Bow+ and stats lowered thanks to Aversa, which actually worked earlier today with a Defensive Fort only at Level 1.  Sometimes it's best to go slow and break structures before picking the enemy off.  It's worked well so far, and it's going to grow in importance as each mistake is magnified with increasing tiers.  Slow and steady wins the race.

6 hours ago, Azuris said:

Really surprised you are actually behind me in this mode. You have some really impressive one turn and Galeforce strats, and I saw people using Galeforce to great effect in AR as well.

But I guess you may not be interested too much in this

Let's say I started slowly into this mode. ^^ 

Galeforce is useful here, but I don't consider myself the greatest tactican. One-turn clears are hard to crack sometimes, but I can take all the time and have some failures without drawbacks there. AR is different and it took me some time to find the perfect moment in the day to concentrate/motivate myself. 

I wouldn't mind getting into tier 21, but the necessary streak against top players is making me cringe a bit. 

4 hours ago, mcsilas said:

Unlike last week, I actually had a few Succesful defense this week! My second account has a Surtr stalling map (with L!Lucina, Red Micaiah to counter Cecilias, Ward ARmour Jakob and Miracle Maribelle). Just kind of sucks how in the end the first battle would always be the loss while the other battles would be a Success only after I lost the important first battle.

Main account's defenses had an okay success rate as well, had no Surtr but I did have a good stalling setup if people are greedy for water (and even a place where a ranged unit gets stuck in a pocket with a fortress after my Armor Marched dragons get dances after the initiating the battle. There is a bit of a flaw if you just focus on the units but 1 success is good enough for me.

Also had a few days where I avoided people so that helped with not losing too much lift. Unfortunately I was rather bad in offense this week though since enemy Surtrs (and trying to shoehorn Eir in) were kind of annoying

me too! i had like 5 in the last two days. it was great!! :) 
It also looks like instead of more rocks - we get a blessing at the 5th day that's a nice. this time it's light.

Edited by daisy jane

Lessing as reward looks nice.

Also I earned 280 lifts already, and ckecked my rank - 365. That means nobody started the new season yet, and that I am now in whale territory. This is going to be difficult.

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

me too! i had like 5 in the last two days. it was great!! :) 
It also looks like instead of more rocks - we get a blessing at the 5th day that's a nice. this time it's light.

hmm....I'd rather get more Rocks to be honest :(

I really want to get a 6th Defense team member ASAP but I also want lv 3 escape ladder

I dropped below 5,000 to 5,443, but it is okay since I got the Silver Throne! I just need to be top 6,000 and not 5,000 like I previously thought.

19 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

In fact, we receive more rocks too:

Before: 20 rocks - 20 rocks - 20 grails - 20 rocks - 20 rocks : 80 rocks and 20 grails

Now: 30 rocks - 30 rocks - 20 grails - 30 rocks - 1 blessing : 90 rocks, 20 grails and 1 blessing

Oh didn't open the actual app yet so this is actually nice.

And I already have a defense loss, but the player deserved it as he/she was rocking a +10 Blarserpent Mae with double Distant Def and Atk Smoke. None of my units could dent her (and Surtr was dealt with by a Bold Fighter Armorslayer BK). The best my team could do was Pain+ Maribelle but that was rendered moot since Mae had a +10 Serra to heal her up.

Oh man how will I ever deal with this +10 Firesweep Cordelia team? Thankfully their own traps made things easier.

This person at least needs to consider not having the movement trap so close to their team.

Edited by LoneStar