Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a pretty good week so far: just 150 Lift short of Tier 20 and currently have 6 defense wins and 3 defense losses - only 2 of which deducted Lift (a -60 and a -80). In one of my defense wins, my team timed out the raiding party without killing any of their units.

I just realized that there isn't a 6th offensive slot... I'm on track to reach tier 19. However, with an unarmed defense team, I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain my tier. It would be fun to make challenging defense maps for other players, but I don't want to interfere with them getting the units they want. This mode is rapidly losing its appeal. I may eventually just surrender five times a week to collect the free rewards.

I reached today AR Tier 19 with 220 Lift - I faced some tricky defense maps where I couldn't break pots and they were able to kill one of my men.

I still need 120 lift to secure my new tier, so I feel good about this. It's a good thing that Eir is a bonus unit and that my other 4 units had Light Blessing on them. I also have the stones to boost my defense. T20 is still far away, but at least I have a week to think about it.

Edited by Garlyle

I am at 9,310 Lift. That update totally pushed me, not only did Deirdre become a better unit and that by far. She kicks so many teams on offensive, I do not fear any Dragons and she even can 1 hit some blue armors thanks to Aversa. But also the 70 additional Aether each day granted me 3 battles today which was 140 x 3 for me. I guess I will go for Deirdre merges on her next banners. Maybe I can even get her on +10 this time... But I go for 2-3 merges depending on luck. 

I also may start merging Aversa. She is such a good help to me. I love the idea of debuffing enemies and buffing my units or Deirdres Dull all in case some Dancer tries to get someone out of debuff and even buffs them.

4 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

Wow, made today 2 161 points victories. Maybe I still can climb to T20, although I have to count for -80 every day

Same here (I only get 160 though lol). Daily -80 hurts, but yesterday's change (Grima counts like a blessed unit) made me positive again. 

I'm at 9,160 lift currently.

I even got my first defense win in months, sadly it didn't count. Someone underestimated L!Lucina again. 

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

Two defense losses today, both because of Surtr. Fortress (D) lvl 2 while enemies are attacking with Fortress (O) lvl 3 make it difficult to kill him. I think I'll spend my next dew on my Fortress.

For what it's worth, players with Surtr are going to be near impossible to stop without using specific builds to directly hit him. With the Light Blessing active, an Armorslayer build is probably your best bet, but even that's shaky since it depends on that unit reaching him. I think a better strategy might be to focus on physical units since most player units are getting a big Res boost. Archers in particular are great since they can put pressure on Eir and other fliers.

45 minutes ago, Johann said:

For what it's worth, players with Surtr are going to be near impossible to stop without using specific builds to directly hit him. With the Light Blessing active, an Armorslayer build is probably your best bet, but even that's shaky since it depends on that unit reaching him. I think a better strategy might be to focus on physical units since most player units are getting a big Res boost. Archers in particular are great since they can put pressure on Eir and other fliers.

I can try running Caeda for that purpose. Mine is +8 and maybe could work out...

1 minute ago, Rinco said:

I can try running Caeda for that purpose. Mine is +8 and maybe could work out...

Could work, my own strategy has been to just build a map where the fliers can't hide and give my archers a way to track them down. I'm currently using original Takumi with Legendary Azura to pull that off, and so far it's worked quite well.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Lilina + refresher(s) is usually enough to punch through. A Light setup pretty much ensures he's getting hit by Chill Res and Death Blow 6 puts her into a range where just her raw damage output is pretty scary (bonus points is that she hits hard enough to even give blues with mediocre Res pause—my double-Link, Light-boosted Odin will takes 12-15 damage, so imagine something not boosted eating that).

27 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Axebreaker Caeda can kill him with relative ease (my +Atk +0 did it multiple times last season on offense). The tricky part is letting her close in. She can't WoM thanks to needing Axebreaker and he general physical fragility means she's a bit of an easy target (and unlike Lilina, lacks tomes for extra threat range). Your best bet is probably a very carefully crafted rally trap.

I don't have Lilina at 5*, but I can promote her if needed. For a second I thought about using Tharja, but her low HP means any team using Aversa would render her useless.

Since I have lost some units to Lilina while I was attacking a couple times, I think I'm going to work on her.

It's a pity AR is so un-replayable + high-stakes. The usual way I learn new tactics in FEH is just doing random shit and having some of them work out. (A lot of them explode in my face, but for other modes that doesn't matter.)

That said, even while having to thinking through all my moves (which means I can only use moves I can think of), I'm still learning a bit, just not as much, and not as quickly as I would normally. I'm actually starting to rate Legendary Azura even higher, now, because of the very simple fact that units can't stand on the same square as traps, meaning high mobility lets you snipe a unit for a 100% trap-less square, and her +1 move is amazing for that.

In other news, got all the daily rewards already, time to stop playing AR.

Well this week has breathed some life back into AR for me. I was content to just sit in T17, but I am netting enough to climb up without really trying to. I don't know if that is because of the changes and Nailah or if most of the annoying teams are up in the higher ranks now.

Though I am still hating Wary Fighter armor stall teams. The ones I have ran into I keep missing by a single turn or having to sacrifice a unit for time. I am kinda wishing my Nailah was +RES. Some extra RES would greatly increase her ability to hammer a Reinhardt/Veronica combo.

Got 2 kills on defense today. Also got to Tier 20 with my free run. Then I lost one run, used the ladder and lost again. I'm still pretty safe for tier 20, unless I start brainfarting while playing like I did today for the nex two days. Only need one 160 win to keep me safe

next week i start prolly at Tier 19... that additional def spot will be dedicated to Surtr. Dumbest shit char ever released, i keep loosing lift just because of him.

Sanaki will blow him to the moon or i +10 a Lilina just for him.

Edited by Hilda

Just hit 9490 Lift and have 1 ladder left. With that I am save in T20 I still can only be happy with Deirdre and I hope to get her to +10. Only thing I wished is that I can get Fortress Res/Def at one point. Collecting damage with Fury is just counterproduktive for her. With Fortress Res QR on B makes much more sense. I could also try to give her Distant def on A as a placeholder.   

Edited by Stroud

Fell for my own trap and lost a unit to L!Lucina today (two 140 matches, lost also an Eir). I'm at 9,360 lift now, one ladder left and expecting three defense losses at four remaining raids. I'm positive :-)

31 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Just hit 9490 Lift and have 1 ladder left. With that I am save in T20

Wow, congrats! Good luck merging Deirdre! 

12 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Wow, congrats! Good luck merging Deirdre! 

Thanks, I hope to have enough luck.

And you are almost there to. Just until tomorrow. With 160 possible Lift even losing 1-2 units grants you enough lift. 

AR still feels strange with such limitation of rounds D=.

Got away with no Def challenges yesterday and only -40 today with my new setup, which I'm really happy with. I've got 300 Lift worth of wiggle room to get to T21 (plus 2/2 Ladder uses available) so I don't need to worry about it from here on.

Anyway, here's my new Def map:

ARdefmap3.jpg.e7932b452ac61ebfaac86abf246885b3.jpg

Looking at some of the character builds, this might seem pretty unusual, but there's a very simple goal here: I'm not worried about getting a full Def win, but rather just ensure a kill or two for the Lift loss reduction, which this map does very well. A breakdown of the core strategy:

1. Since most people bring Aversa with plenty of HP, and barring that are very likely to have their Flier School in the middle area, Robin is almost always going to get debuffed. This is what sets off the chain reaction. Funny enough, only one player this whole week would have avoided this chain reaction, which was our own @DehNutCase who didn't bring Aversa and had his Flier School in a safe spot.
  2. Clarine's position and Robin's slot order (last) make Clarine use Restore on Robin in the position directly below Robin. The only other thing that can prevent this is if the opponent has a level 3 Tactics Room in the right spot, or Loki in a similar location.
  3. Due to Clarine's new position, she's very likely in range to attack the player, which triggers Takumi to Rally her. With Fujin Yumi, he can warp to her (ignoring Gravity), and because of the Feh Statue placement, he'll go to the spot left of her. Also, if the player puts a weak enough unit in the spot where the Catapult is, he'll attack them. More often than not, though, he'll just Rally Clarine.
  4. Thanks to Aerobatics, Robin's position and the placement of the pot, Azura will then Sing Takumi. With Atk Tactic, Takumi has +6 to stats and can move far enough to hit nearly any spot where the player is starting. He can even get through the tree space if necessary. Since everybody has an Eir or two, and Aversa and Azura are very common, he's almost certainly going to get a kill in there. So far, he's managed to get at least one kill in every time.

Build ideas:

• Azura: Standard kit with Flier Formation ensures that even if the enemy has Loki or a properly placed Tactics Room, she'll be able to move around. More importantly, she's locked in a spot that's not only rather safe, but minimizes the chance that she'll waste her Sing on Clarine after she uses Restore. The real goal is for her to Sing Takumi or Marth.
  • Frederick: He's just here to scare people from using armored units (especially Surtr), and to trick them into thinking it's safe to approach on the side with mages or whatever. He rarely gets to do anything, but that's ok. His role as a diversion is essential to making everything else work.
  • Takumi: The best character in the game! No, really, Fujin Yumi is extremely underrated in AR Defense, and I haven't seen anyone anticipate his ability to travel. He always gets a kill in there, so I decided he deserved a merge for his hard work (using the free 4* Takumi). Vantage is there in case he ends up getting damaged and the player's only units in range are the same old soft ranged fliers.
  • Clarine: This probably looks like I had zero resources to spend on Clarine, but she's actually someone I've invested in heavily. I originally had her using Candlelight in my old map, but with Nailah's B skill, I figured to skip that plan. Restore and having very high HP are essential here, and the rest is sort of extra fluff. A key point is that she has the weakest staff and deliberately lowered stats and Hone Spd so that her Atk/Spd/Def/Res total is lower than Takumi's-- a tiebreaking calculation that determines who Azura will use Sing on, if both happen to be in range. Lastly, I've decided there's extreme value in giving up Dazzling Staff, since most player units have the ability to counter ranged units. This prevents them from keeping her alive while they safely reach the pots.
  • Marth: With his sword and Atk Tactic, Marth easily rips apart any Robins that try to get close to tank everything else (even if they're buffed and sitting on the defense tile). This prevents the player from just sending Robin in. Better yet, if Azura happens to dance him, he'll have +12 to his stats, making him extremely hard to kill.
  • Robin: Her primary purpose is to get debuffed and have Clarine Restore her. Other than that, her extreme bulk prevents most players from safely running in and killing her at the start (though I'm not sure how safe that would even be given how hard it is to retreat after that). I left Cancel Affinity on her so she makes people think twice about Cecilia, etc.
Edited by Johann

59 minutes ago, Johann said:

Got away with no Def challenges yesterday and only -40 today with my new setup, which I'm really happy with. I've got 300 Lift worth of wiggle room to get to T21 (plus 2/2 Ladder uses available) so I don't need to worry about it from here on.

Anyway, here's my new Def map:

Are you sure you want your team of mostly melee damage dealers boxed in like that? It makes it pretty safe to slowly work one's way to the fort tile above the tactics room, at which point your entire team get solo'd.

(A more obvious start would be to read the AI movement and just put a low res blue that can counter at 2 range on the forest tile, which will kill Azura turn 1. But I don't like that since it gums up the map, making it harder to reach the pots---the 'solo everyone by standing on a fort' strategy leaves the entire left side free.)

Edit: And I think Clarine would only get rallied if she herself was in the enemy team's threat range. Not too sure on this, though.

Edited by DehNutCase

Got two complete losses, losing my last ladder and my free run. Also got a perfect 140, though, so now I'm just 140 away from T20.

I haven't gotten a relevant defense loss yet today since my previous one was so late yesterday, so that's good.