Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

Currently at 8800 lift, so I should make Tier 19. At rank ~8500, it looks like I have a decent chance of my first ever chair too, although I won't be able to actually use it because of the Tier 21 restriction. I hope I can stay without too much effort since I can't use blessings every season. Not having a defense team makes it harder, but I do get many friend requests. :D:

@Ice Dragon The mode needs some work for sure. I'm really not sure what would fix it. Removing the competitive aspect or at least the daily playing requirement would help somewhat.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Rinco said:

Since next season is not Light season and F!Grima is not a bonus unit, I'll have to change my layout a bit. 

I'm at this for now, any tips are welcome. 

Builds are:

Lilina: Forblaze (Special Refine), Rally Attack, Moonbow, DB3, Bowbreaker, Spur Atk, Atk+3

Olivia: Skuld, Dance, Moonbow, Bracing Stance 2, WoM, Goad Fliers, Guidance

Eir: Base kit with Draw Back and Flier Formation SS

Lyn: Swift Mulagir, Rally Def/Res, Moonbow, Laws of Sacae, Desperation, Spd Tactics, Atk/Spd +2

Surtr: Sinmara, Pivot, Bonfire, Steady Stance 4, Wary Fighter, Surtr's Menace, Distant Def

Aversa: Aversa's Night, Repo, Noontime, HP/Spd+2, Renewal, Odd Res Wave,  HP/Res 2.

Screenshot_20190114-151732.png

Don't know if Lyn will work out. I can change her for Rein and put him in a range that overlaps with Lilina's.

Eir will be the first one to die, too easy to bait, if she doesnt die she gets redance and dies at her second attack to Distant counter. Then Surtr will move and get danced (depending where he moves) or not and then all the other mages move.

L. Lyn is a very terrible unit. Not sure if she will cut it even with buffs. Her base kit is just meh, neither offensiv nor defensiv oriented. Nice Reinhardt and Aversa check i guess but thats it :/. Also not sure why even field Eir. she provides basicly... nada for this Team, well she is a bonus unti so a bit harder to kill. The only fear i would have on this map is if Lilina uses Guidance and gets danced. But geven the priority Olivia should move first (since she is a melee with support)

41 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I can't wait until we finally get an Astra Mythic Hero and for Tier 21 to become saturated (because there's no way to demote if you're half-competent and active) so that this mode's ranking rewards become purely pay-to-win. (Sure, that benefits me a lot, but it's still shitty game design.)

Every time I think about the future of this game mode, the lower my opinion of it is.

I think this will be the time the revenge button comes into play big time. I think that choice right there was implemented exactly because of this. If someone in T21 destroyed your defense map and you lost 80 lift, you can revenge the loss and give him an equal loss. And i wouldnt be surprised if T21 changes the defense losses... as in every defense loss you loose lift makeing it harder to stay in T21

5 minutes ago, Hilda said:

If someone in T21 destroyed your defense map and you lost 80 lift, you can revenge the loss and give him an equal loss.

It doesn't work like that, though. Only the first loss per day (or whatever the actual interval is) counts against you, so if you aren't the first to challenge them within that interval, it doesn't cost them anything.

5 minutes ago, Hilda said:

And i wouldnt be surprised if T21 changes the defense losses... as in every defense loss you loose lift makeing it harder to stay in T21

Considering that there are already players in Tier 21 and there have been no reports that this is the case, this isn't the case.

Furthermore, this would be even more unfair in general because a player can get lucky and get few challenges or unlucky and get many challenges, which is something completely outside of the player's control.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

I can't wait until we finally get an Astra Mythic Hero and for Tier 21 to become saturated (because there's no way to demote if you're half-competent and active) so that this mode's ranking rewards become purely pay-to-win. (Sure, that benefits me a lot, but it's still shitty game design.)

I mean, strictly speaking you'd still need to be able to pilot teams that beat the best possible defense teams. (Since real try-hards would have a Astra Blessed defense team for the first loss and then instantly replace their defense team with an optimal 'fuck your blessed units' lineup.)

That said, like 40% of the mode's difficulty for me is the huge resource problem (the other 60% is the time problem), so maybe even the best possible defense teams end up being trivial, assuming nearly unlimited resources.

Edited by DehNutCase

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Every time I think about the future of this game mode, the lower my opinion of it is.

I think they'll want to re-introduce a climb for high tier people after not too long. That could be a more potent driver to pull for other mythics, especially the defensive ones, than just trying to maintain top 3k once you've already hit 21. Even AA doesn't seem to have 3k people camping out at the top with+10 legendaries for every season and all that. I wouldn't be making it to top 1600 range with only 2 Duel skill units and no legendaries of my own if there were. We'll have to see how many people really go crazy picking up every type of mythic or not if top 3k AR rank really ends up being the competitive endgame of the mode for a long time.

I could see a new tier where the lift requirement makes even people with 160 point teams need above average defense luck to advance, making there be more pressure to try and get Dark/Anima mythics. As it is, I could see the Astra mythic being desirable to help maintain that top 3k on non-light weeks, sure, but the defensive bonus ones still probably won't be a important unless you really need that extra lift loss mitigation.

It's still p2w, no doubt, though. I'll likely miss out on Astra week's top 3k after the mythic for it comes out, since I'm not blowing orbs just for that. (unless I happen to actually like whoever the character is)

8 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I mean, strictly speaking you'd still need to be able to pilot teams that beat the best possible defense teams. (Since real try-hards would have a Astra Blessed defense team for the first loss and then instantly replace their defense team with an optimal 'fuck your blessed units' lineup.)

You're thinking of Anima. Light and Astra boost your offense score. Dark and Anima reduce your defense score loss.

5 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I think they'll want to re-introduce a climb for high tier people after not too long.

Which only serves to fuel the pay-to-win aspects of the game mode, which I'm saying is half of what's gone completely wrong with this game mode.

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which only serves to fuel the pay-to-win aspects of the game mode, which I'm saying is half of what's gone completely wrong with this game mode.

No argument there. I still can't believe they managed to make a system seem just as p2w as arena, if not more. Things were looking so bright those first 3-4 weeks of the mode.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Eir will be the first one to die, too easy to bait, if she doesnt die she gets redance and dies at her second attack to Distant counter. Then Surtr will move and get danced (depending where he moves) or not and then all the other mages move.

L. Lyn is a very terrible unit. Not sure if she will cut it even with buffs. Her base kit is just meh, neither offensiv nor defensiv oriented. Nice Reinhardt and Aversa check i guess but thats it :/. Also not sure why even field Eir. she provides basicly... nada for this Team, well she is a bonus unti so a bit harder to kill. The only fear i would have on this map is if Lilina uses Guidance and gets danced. But geven the priority Olivia should move first (since she is a melee with support)

On the few tests I did, Lilina moved with Olivia's Guidance to Rally Eir, then got danced and attacked the enemy. 

I can swap Lyn for Rein then and Eir for Sharena to have a bonus unit. I've recently built her for arena and probably she can perform here as well with some stats. 

@Azuris @Maaka Congratulations on making T21! 

@Javi Blizz @Stroud Congrats on T20!

@Tree Congratulations on making T19!

@Nanima @Motendra Congrats on T18!

I've made T20 this week with a score of 9,880 with a rank of 2,099!  I actually clinched it Saturday with two perfect battles, so I took it easy the final two days.  Shout-out to @Alkaid for helping me through the second battle that day - thank you again!  Congrats to you for making T21 with only a single Eir to your name - that is absolutely amazing, even with a little bit of luck!

Now to relax and just maintain it next week before a serious attempt at T21 next light season.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Honestly I don't mind the pay to win bit at all (although obviously people of my type are probably the main 'losers'). FEH is a gacha game, so it was pretty obvious what I was getting into from the competitive front. (Pony up or don't rank high.)

But we beat the whole 'play every day' thing to death already.

2 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

No argument there. I still can't believe they managed to make a system seem just as p2w as arena, if not more. Things were looking so bright those first 3-4 weeks of the mode.

Personally I didn't like the first month or so (and I remained not liking it to this point). If things kept as is things were going to be pure performance based, and that's kind of a nightmare for a mode you need to play everyday. Mind, I ranked crazy high, but I could tell I wasn't going to enjoy operating at that level for long.

Arena was P2W for ranking, but at least rewards-wise you got most of it for just existing. (A difference of 1 orb/week isn't really significant from an orb income perspective, only from the 'orb from arena' perspective, and it's kind of pointless to treat orbs from arena as any different from daily login orbs.)

9 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

@Maaka Congratulations on making T21! 

Thanks Alf! Congrats to making it to T20!

Ended with 11,476 lift, rank 45. Did every single match with Myrrh, two Eirs (one at +1), Loki and either B!Ninian or L!Azura. Lost 460 total on defense and had to sacrifice Myrrh twice to crazy instant black luna builds, so 40 total lost on offense, but I got every possible offense match in thanks to missing very few aether structures.

At 1,156 grails with 30 more to get from forging bonds. They're finally starting to stack up a bit, though still not quite as much as I would like. I guess it shouldn't be that easy to +10 a GHB/TT unit anyway.

16 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Personally I didn't like the first month or so (and I remained not liking it to this point). If things kept as is things were going to be pure performance based, and that's kind of a nightmare for a mode you need to play everyday. Mind, I ranked crazy high, but I could tell I wasn't going to enjoy operating at that level for long.

Arena was P2W for ranking, but at least rewards-wise you got most of it for just existing. (A difference of 1 orb/week isn't really significant from an orb income perspective, only from the 'orb from arena' perspective, and it's kind of pointless to treat orbs from arena as any different from daily login orbs.)

I still enjoy the gameplay of the mode for the most part. Beating challenging maps while still managing to use my favorites in this mode has been some of the most fun I've had with the game. Though yeah, needing to play every single day with the high stakes of each match is pretty taxing. If they'd ease off on that it'd be a big improvement.

I already refused to blow tons of orbs on merged legendaries for the sake of arena, and it's a shame to see AR go the same way but possibly worse, especially when the mode launched completely free of all that but they turned it on it's head. It felt like a bit of a bait and switch. Mythics enabling extra-high stat stacking strategies like Eirs + Surtr drag things down some as well. At least it feels nice making it to 21 despite IS for stacking the odds against people who don't/couldn't get mythics to compete easier, but I'll probably be stuck here if they increase tiers down the road.

Oh wow, I just got my first bronze throne as a reward - i am not even sure how this is possible when I call my AR a budget build. My highest merge in my raid team is +1, and none of them are 5* summon locked. Well, I just changed my defense to have premium units, but my defense fort is only Lv2.

Congrats for all who reached the next tier. Let this week be a fun one too.

Edited by Garlyle

Definitely T20 locked until I either create a real defense team or pull more mythics, neither of which are happening soon. Even if I slid down to top 20k, I'd still be guaranteed 75 snails a week. Good enough.

55 minutes ago, a bear said:

Even if I slid down to top 20k, I'd still be guaranteed 75 snails a week.

Ha! I like that nickname. Snails are indeed slow at coming home. We need more Snails fast.

Already off to a bad start here, earned 200 Lift in total (I should've killed off my Eir to lose that 20 point run), and I lost 60 Lift while defending. I label this week the "Road to T20 practice run".

17 hours ago, Azuris said:

Also, now that it is secured, congratulations to tier 21. Well done and now enjoy a more relaxing time for a bit.

Thanks, and you too! It's a pretty big relief to know we don't have to do too much from here on. I do wish I landed a tier higher in one of the previous weeks because I have 278 grails and 290 stones, so I'll forever be just short unless they start giving out small amounts in other places.

Since Defense won't matter for us until there are more than 3,000 people in T21, I'm just gonna leave my Def map like this:

ARdefmap4.jpg.d5342a963df59a36db922b52a8d73e95.jpg

After few weeks in tier 18 I finally got to 19 this season... And suddenly all the teams I see are a combination of 3-4 of legendary Azura, legendary Lucina, Surtr, Veronica and a number of Eirs. Granted that's just 1 day and 4 battles so I could have gotten unlucky, but as someone who's actually enjoyed AR gameplay today was the least fun by far I've had with the mode.

That said, there's something amusing about watching a team like that decimate my own lol

12 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You're thinking of Anima. Light and Astra boost your offense score. Dark and Anima reduce your defense score loss.

The heck? There's a difference like that?

Edited by Sylphid
word

Forgetting to switch my bonus structure out - and starting out with not only a defense loss but an offense loss. Feelsbadman. Between regularly maintaining the defense and Assault runs, this game is sometimes too much work.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

21 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

After few weeks in tier 18 I finally got to 19 this season... And suddenly all the teams I see are a combination of 3-4 of legendary Azura, legendary Lucina, Surtr, Veronica and a number of Eirs. Granted that's just 1 day and 4 battles so I could have gotten unlucky, but as someone who's actually enjoyed AR gameplay today was the least fun by far I've had with the mode.

That said, there's something amusing about watching a team like that decimate my own lol

I find it helps to wait a little longer into the day, as the more heavily invested players tend to get a head start sooner, making it less likely you'd be matched up against them.

30 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

The heck? There's a difference like that?

Yeah, the seasons switch every week between Light & Dark and Astra & Anima. Light and Astra give boosts to your Offense score, while Dark and Anima reduce the Lift loss on Defense. The formulas work like this:

• Light/Astra: (#ofActiveMythicHeroes * #ofActiveBlessedHeroes * 10) + #ofMergesOnActiveMythicHeroes
  • Dark/Anima: (#ofActiveMythicHeroes[max of 2]  * #ofActiveBlessedHeroes * 4) + #ofMergesOnActiveMythicHeroes

Hope that makes sense, I can write up examples if it doesn't

1 hour ago, Sylphid said:

Wow! I am on Tier 18, and after read your experience with Tier 19, I am happy on Tier 18 and with my ~50 Grails reward.

3 hours ago, Johann said:

I find it helps to wait a little longer into the day, as the more heavily invested players tend to get a head start sooner, making it less likely you'd be matched up against them.

Yeah, the seasons switch every week between Light & Dark and Astra & Anima. Light and Astra give boosts to your Offense score, while Dark and Anima reduce the Lift loss on Defense. The formulas work like this:

• Light/Astra: (#ofActiveMythicHeroes * #ofActiveBlessedHeroes * 10) + #ofMergesOnActiveMythicHeroes
  • Dark/Anima: (#ofActiveMythicHeroes[max of 2]  * #ofActiveBlessedHeroes * 4) + #ofMergesOnActiveMythicHeroes

Hope that makes sense, I can write up examples if it doesn't

That makes sense. I usually do AR in the morning but could move that to evening instead.

That's interesting. So if I'm understanding this right, with 1 Mythic Hero and 2 Blessed Heroes, assuming my defense team doesn't kill anyone, I would lose 72 Lift instead of the normal 80 during Dark/Anima seasons? Does this also mean that Eir isn't being very helpful in my defense team even during Light season?

Incidentally, what's the incredibly obvious in-game location I could have checked this information from (except for the formula which I assume was discovered by players)?

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Wow! I am on Tier 18, and after read your experience with Tier 19, I am happy on Tier 18 and with my ~50 Grails reward.

Yes, Tier19 gave me a very warm welcome! :lol: I could have just faced bad luck on opponents though and tomorrow could be entirely different, who knows.

I have to admit though, if I keep facing those same kind of teams I might intentionally drop back to tier18 lol

3 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Forgetting to switch my bonus structure out - and starting out with not only a defense loss but an offense loss. Feelsbadman. Between regularly maintaining the defense and Assault runs, this game is sometimes too much work.

I came to the conclusion some time ago that I can just ignore parts of the game that I feel are too much. I've enjoyed AR but also if I don't feel like doing it, I can skip some daily fights just as well. And it's been over a year since I last did AA without there being Arena Quests that involve AA.

Incidentally, couple of seasons back when it was time to switch bonus structures, instead of buying the new bonus structure for my defense team, I accidentally leveled up the old one. That was kind of irritating, but also funny when I thought this might confuse players attacking me.