redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Hilda said:

Would change it a bit

#1 Scoreing from skills doesnt matter

#2 Your Party of 4 members is only allowed to have: 1 of each color, 1 of each movement. Of those units only 1 dancer OR 1 healer is allowed

#3 Your Party members cant occupy the same skill in the assist, special or passive slot. Meaning only 1 Reposition unit can be used, only 1 Distant counter, etc etc. This also conflicts with seals, if you run the QR seal then no other party member can run QR in their B-Slot. Weapon refines and personal weapon effects are not excluded.

All of the above also accounts for the Defense Teams

#4 you can set a rule to banish a particular weapon type of the field. What this does is, at start of Turn it auto ends that weapon type units turn and inflicts it with Isolation and no counter possibility. This also applies to your own Team if you run the same type of weapon.

Dont want to see Reinhardt and LAzura, set the rule to banish Blue Tomes.

Please note that the opposing Defense Team can have a rule of themself, and can banish a weapon type too, which means you might have a unit sitting like a duck there, that cant move, counterattack or be danced or healed and needs thus protection.

Merges are allowed.

Scoring from BST also shouldn't matter, merges shouldn't effect scoring even if they are allowed.  The banish rule is interesting as many may not have the right units/skills to deal with certain enemy types would be really helpful.  If one doesn't have anyone with null disrupt they can banish staves for example.  The lack of same skill means one can't stack ward/goad fliers or other skills (double savage blows, etc)

Anyways there is a ton of things wrong currently with this being a 'competitive game' so it is hard to take any pride in rankings/performance.  Just higher tier, rank, more rewards and well that's it.  

Another improvement from last week~ 10 Lift away from T21~ If I had 5 more Aether I could have one last go but I haven't gotten my last defense match of the week yet and if I lose that, I still wouldn't have made it~

I have a better chance next Season though on Offense but my Defensive Team is horrible for Anima so I don't expect much~

4 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Another improvement from last week~ 10 Lift away from T21~ If I had 5 more Aether I could have one last go but I haven't gotten my last defense match of the week yet and if I lose that, I still wouldn't have made it~

I have a better chance next Season though on Offense but my Defensive Team is horrible for Anima so I don't expect much~

I am also 5 Aether away from another match. Though I am 40 lift off my Tier up. I apparently got lucky in my last defense matches and avoided any lost lift. As such I was THIS close to jumping from 20 to 22. But I suppose I'll have to live with 21.

Thinking about it, they might actually be able to convince people to burn orbs if there was an option to use orbs to fill the Aether gap for your final match of a season. So you and I could spend 5 orbs for our last attempt to tier up. Of course they would have to have someway to detect whether this was your last match of the week. If it only worked for the final one each week it wouldn't greatly introduce a pay to win situation, and would be a better way to drain orbs from folks than the Aether Resort attempt was. But I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas.

Just barely creeped into Tier 21 for the first time. Final tally of 11,035 with 45 Aether left (*cringe*) because I goofed on breaking pots. Thankfully I got three full defense successes, partly because of quick surrenders and partly because of some truly mind-boggling decisions on the attackers' parts. My defense team isn't even at all designed for the job; it's literally just six units in their normal setups. No dancers, no armor wall, only one cavalry (Sue).

Now let's hope that I don't make a total mess of things and drop back down again.

I'm finishing with 9,110 lift, so that's a big improvement from last week for me. Hopefully I can keep getting closer to tier 20 like this so I'd eventually get there after all! Also, Fjorm has been valuable this season, glad she's a bonus next season too.

I try to break as many pots as I can, but it's hard when defense maps have them shoved in the farthest corners. Every now and then I run into a map that does the opposite, though, which is really helpful.

Edited by Anacybele

4 hours ago, Usana said:

I am also 5 Aether away from another match. Though I am 40 lift off my Tier up. I apparently got lucky in my last defense matches and avoided any lost lift. As such I was THIS close to jumping from 20 to 22. But I suppose I'll have to live with 21.

Thinking about it, they might actually be able to convince people to burn orbs if there was an option to use orbs to fill the Aether gap for your final match of a season. So you and I could spend 5 orbs for our last attempt to tier up. Of course they would have to have someway to detect whether this was your last match of the week. If it only worked for the final one each week it wouldn't greatly introduce a pay to win situation, and would be a better way to drain orbs from folks than the Aether Resort attempt was. But I probably shouldn't be giving them ideas.

Ha, you're not too far off with that idea~ Wouldn't mind shoveling out some Orbs for an extra couple of Lift~ Maybe have it only active on the last day for the Season and usable once or twice (or equal to the amount of Ladder uses you have)~ Wouldn't mind something like that~

39 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Ladder needs to be allowed more uses. I repeatedly use them all up more or less instantly. I'd say increase it to 6-8 uses rather than a useless 3.

Three uses is fine. Anything above that is “now everybody can do it” territory. I got to Tier 19 without using a single ladder, so anything above that is perfectly doable with three. 

13 minutes ago, Jave said:

Three uses is fine. Anything above that is “now everybody can do it” territory. I got to Tier 19 without using a single ladder, so anything above that is perfectly doable with three. 

Not really. Just because you can do it without ladders doesn't mean everyone else can.

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Not really. Just because you can do it without ladders doesn't mean everyone else can.

Of course not everyone can. Aether Raids is a leaderboard-based game and by definition not everyone will make it to certain places. Tier 21 is the ceiling for a lot of people. 

On 6/15/2019 at 7:36 AM, Landmaster said:

I personally just don't use the Offensive buildings besides the Ladder and the bonus structure of the week simply because they're useless and just take up space.

I was waffling on this thought back when Aether Raids was new, but after being forced to spend for dew to upgrade the Forts, I think it's more a matter of careful setup to play into certain strategies. That is, I started upgrading stuff that seemed to be vaguely generally useful on a whim because where else was I going to put that stuff?

Tactics Room used to be great, but everyone's developed Rally Traps to get around them. I still find it occasionally helpful when I'm forced to use it as a bonus structure, but the 1-in-6 chance of having it in the right row or not kind of kills any sense of reliability. Oddly, I've found the Bolt Tower, which I initially turned my nose up for proccing enemy Vantage and WoM shenanigans, to be very useful. At level 4, coupled with a Fallen Takumi, that's 35 damage and Panic in a three-column area. This can allow DC/CC super tanks that otherwise risk falling into problems with not killing dangerous units that then get danced (like L!Alm) to sweep most of the defense. The Healing Tower at level 4 has also been great. Allows greater safety for super tanks doing long pulls, as well as face-checking level 4 Lightning Traps without being completely crippled.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ladder needs to be allowed more uses. I repeatedly use them all up more or less instantly. I'd say increase it to 6-8 uses rather than a useless 3.

Alternative argument: if they actually balanced the gamemode, you wouldn't need ladder since it would be fair.

Yeah just depleted mine already.

4 minutes ago, Nym said:

Alternative argument: if they actually balanced the gamemode, you wouldn't need ladder since it would be fair.

Yeah just depleted mine already.

Yeah, that's a fair point too. xP

21 minutes ago, Nym said:

if they actually balanced the gamemode, you wouldn't need ladder since it would be fair.

If it were "fair" according to your definition then you would never get a defense win, which would force every player to run double Duma/Yune on their defense teams with full blessings to mitigate Lift loss from defenses. Furthermore, if you were expected to win 100% of your matches, then that would mean that you would be at a smaller disadvantage than currently when running triple Eir/Naga on offense, meaning your offense Lift gain would be fully dependent on the use of the bonus unit and triple Eir/Naga on offense with full blessings.

Which basically just turns this game mode into pure pay to win. Congratulations.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If it were "fair" according to your definition then you would never get a defense win, which would force every player to run double Duma/Yune on their defense teams with full blessings to mitigate Lift loss from defenses. Furthermore, if you were expected to win 100% of your matches, then that would mean that you would be at a smaller disadvantage than currently when running triple Eir/Naga on offense, meaning your offense Lift gain would be fully dependent on the use of the bonus unit and triple Eir/Naga on offense with full blessings.

Actually my definition of fair in Aether Raids is many things, but a gurantee win is not. Stop assuming things when I never said anything of the sort, thank you.

Fair, for example, would be to restrict dancers to 1 for both teams like I suggested many times before (and no seasonal units like B!Fjorm are not the answer).

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which basically just turns this game mode into pure pay to win. Congratulations.

Oh yeah, because it totaly isn't already. I mean the fact that you need to rely on getting twice the Mythic Hero just to climb up and rely on premium skills or premium units to counter certain types of bullshit is totaly free to play.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

Actually my definition of fair in Aether Raids is many things, but a gurantee win is not. Stop assuming things when I never said anything of the sort, thank you.

Fair, for example, would be to restrict dancers to 1 for both teams like I suggested many times before (and no seasonal units like B!Fjorm are not the answer).

Which is effectively a free win for most normally competent team compositions.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

Oh yeah, because it totaly isn't already. I mean the fact that you need to rely on getting twice the Mythic Hero just to climb up and rely on premium skills or premium units to counter certain types of bullshit is totaly free to play.

You don't need any copies of Mythic Heroes other than the free Eir to climb. You'll need those Mythic Heroes to place really high in the rankings, but that's not anywhere near as big of a deal.

With restrictions to enemy team compositions, the game mode becomes easier, which means players will lose fewer Lift from unit losses, therefore making lacking bonuses from Mythic Heroes a larger source of missed Lift.

More ladders would mean everyone has to play more AR matches, so that's not a great solution unless you happen to enjoy playing AR. Those that have trouble would replay more matches using ladders, and those that didn't really need the extra ladders would feel obligated to use them anyway for optimization. Ideally, there are better improvements.

AR rewards are somewhat evenly split between tier score and ranking right now. I'd personally want more emphasis on the tier side rather than the ranking portion. I wonder if a majority of players would prefer rewards being tied to single player experiences, while maintaining competition as a just for fun option without significant rewards? I tend to think this is the case, but don't have any reliable information.

1 minute ago, Tree said:

AR rewards are somewhat evenly split between tier score and ranking right now. I'd personally want more emphasis on the tier side rather than the ranking portion. I wonder if a majority of players would prefer rewards being tied to single player experiences, while maintaining competition as a just for fun option without significant rewards? I tend to think this is the case, but don't have any reliable information.

Agreed. It's nice that all of the ranked event modes pretty much only reward feathers for ranking, and I'd rather all of the competitive modes be closer to that, too. Perhaps not get rid of Nice Things completely, but at least weight the rewards more heavily towards participation and individual achievement.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Agreed. It's nice that all of the ranked event modes pretty much only reward feathers for ranking, and I'd rather all of the competitive modes be closer to that, too. Perhaps not get rid of Nice Things completely, but at least weight the rewards more heavily towards participation and individual achievement.

Yeah, I have no issues with a small amount of Divine Dew, an orb, etc. at the higher ranks of competitive modes. That's fine with me.

I had a decent start to my run this week.  I missed a couple Aether pots, but only lost I want to say one or two units in my 5 matches.  Having Water and Wind week is my favorite, since it lets me run Fjorm, Gunnthra, and/or Hrid, who are the Legendaries I've built up the most.  I wonder if they've been making an effort for the seasons to line up with the legendaries, since I think it's been water season for the whole stretch of Fjorm being a bonus unit this time.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I had a decent start to my run this week.  I missed a couple Aether pots, but only lost I want to say one or two units in my 5 matches.  Having Water and Wind week is my favorite, since it lets me run Fjorm, Gunnthra, and/or Hrid, who are the Legendaries I've built up the most.  I wonder if they've been making an effort for the seasons to line up with the legendaries, since I think it's been water season for the whole stretch of Fjorm being a bonus unit this time.

Is your Fjorm merged? Fjorm is one of those characters I've seen accomplish incredible things, but mine seems to die too easily. Perhaps she needs more investment. I used Bow Lyn and Seasonal Bow Lyn (Louise) as the bonus and got enough lift to hold the tier for the week. (Just need a couple Yune for light season and I'll be set.)