Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

4 minutes ago, Hilda said:

The problem isnt surviving only the 1. Round on this map. Its also killing the units on the following turns. If 4/5 of your units are paniced even if they survived Turn 1. They Probably cant kill shit with -5 & -6 to Attack and SPD (-11 combined). not to mention Def and Res. Most Teams run some form of Tactic buffs. and 2 of your units are most likely gonne be hit with -11 to atk/spd and -11 to def/res. Thats kinda huge. not to mention a 3. unit will be hit by Gunnthras debuff too. This will only get worse during dark/light season when Duma is replaced by Yune.

Oh yeah most people are probably in trouble against something like this, no doubt. It's going to require a lot of people to rethink their setups. Panic (particularly on cavalry healers) has been growing in popularity late, so even without these map layouts, not having flexibility with your buffs can be a bit dangerous.

You know, I'd actually prefer to face that team in Light/Dark season since it's mostly magic damage against a Res boost, they'd have 3 less Atk, Eir tanks healers without issue, and she can heal the Savage Blow damage. The Spd boost could make it harder to kill some of them, but a TA Raventome with QR would still have no issue against anything that can be countered. I'm also a big Hrid fan so Spd is usually not an issue for me.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Johann said:

Oh yeah most people are probably in trouble against something like this, no doubt. It's going to require a lot of people to rethink their setups. Panic (particularly on cavalry healers) has been growing in popularity late, so even without these map layouts, not having flexibility with your buffs can be a bit dangerous.

You know, I'd actually prefer to face that team in Light/Dark season since it's mostly magic damage against a Res boost, they'd have 3 less Atk, Eir tanks healers without issue, and she can heal the Savage Blow damage. The Spd boost could make it harder to kill some of them, but a TA Raventome with QR would still have no issue against anything that can be countered. I'm also a big Hrid fan so Spd is usually not an issue for me.

The team is pretty much designed to be heavy on Magic/Physical Damage depending on which Season it is (Magic on Anima, Physical on Dark) so that Eir and Naga's boosts are largely useless~ It's a really clever set-up in that way~

2 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

The team is pretty much designed to be heavy on Magic/Physical Damage depending on which Season it is (Magic on Anima, Physical on Dark) so that Eir and Naga's boosts are largely useless~ It's a really clever set-up in that way~

Unless there are a bunch of Firesweep Lyns, I'm not super worried about it. It's kinda surprising how many people still stick to using Res-targetting Def teams in Light season after all these months.

Since the man who popularized this has made a video about it, why not just let him do the talking.

Cav line existed prior to his investment, but this is a well thought out team that he built himself. Gunnthra will probably be subbed out for either a Blade mage or a free cav dagger that inherits Lili a’s broadleaf+. 

I prefer Naga over Duma in the cav line because of the effective damage and the fact that people need to use two Naga’s themselves to score well.

6 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

I prefer Naga over Duma in the cav line because of the effective damage and the fact that people need to use two Naga’s themselves to score well.

I think Duma's +3 Atk, +5 HP, and 7 passive damage would be more helpful than Naga's effective damage since Naga's effect would not be active on the second turn onward due to her lower movement range.

Regarding enemy Nagas, you've already forced the opponent to separate their units on the first turn due to the positioning of your units (safe squares are not adjacent to each other) and the threat of Panic, which makes it more difficult for enemy Nagas to get their combat buffs up. Furthermore, because most of your structures are in the back row, the opponent will not be able to get any combat bonuses from Naga's default AR-O skill.

9 hours ago, Johann said:

Unless there are a bunch of Firesweep Lyns, I'm not super worried about it. It's kinda surprising how many people still stick to using Res-targetting Def teams in Light season after all these months.

I shamefully admit I also hadn't really made the connection to do that until Akariss mentioned it, but conveniently, my whole Anima team besides one unit attacks Res, and 4/6 of my Dark team attacks Def so other players hopefully can be under the impression that I'm not a total flop

8 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Since the man who popularized this has made a video about it, why not just let him do the talking.

Cav line existed prior to his investment, but this is a well thought out team that he built himself. Gunnthra will probably be subbed out for either a Blade mage or a free cav dagger that inherits Lili a’s broadleaf+. 

I thought to try a version of this setup myself just to see how it works. Problem is I have nothing for Gunnthra's spot.I did consider my HS!Elise and Broadleaf Fan combined with the Panic does sound like a really good idea that I hadn't really thought about.

@Anacybele

I played your map after you did the changes, but somethings still need to be changed.

For example, the bonus structure isn't the Armor School anymore. It's the Cavalry School for this season. It's also Dark Season, so if you have Yune, I recommend to use her. Azura and Gunnthrá still are in a position that is easy to bait both (from the spot below the school), while Eliwood can be easy baited by destroying the Bell. The position of the Bolt Tower also need to be changed, because it will not affect any enemy's unit. You could swap the Bolt Tower with the School, and maybe the Healing Tower with the Bright Shrine, so Eliwood and Brave Hector can be in the  healing range. Armored Boots on Brave Hector can be useful. Azura still has Hone Fliers, which is useless in this map. Did you change her skill and forgot to luck your team?

I just want you to know that I am not here to make fun of your map. I am here to help you.

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

@Anacybele

I played your map after you did the changes, but somethings still need to be changed.

For example, the bonus structure isn't the Armor School anymore. It's the Cavalry School for this season. It's also Dark Season, so if you have Yune, I recommend to use her. Azura and Gunnthrá still are in a position that is easy to bait both (from the spot below the school), while Eliwood can be easy baited by destroying the Bell. The position of the Bolt Tower also need to be changed, because it will not affect any enemy's unit. You could swap the Bolt Tower with the School, and maybe the Healing Tower with the Bright Shrine, so Eliwood and Brave Hector can be in the  healing range. Armored Boots on Brave Hector can be useful. Azura still has Hone Fliers, which is useless in this map. Did you change her skill and forgot to luck your team?

I just want you to know that I am not here to make fun of your map. I am here to help you.

Yeah, I know bonus structures change every season, but I didn't know at first that this season was ending early. I'll be changing to the Cavalry School for sure. And yes, I do switch to Yune for Dark season.

I didn't change anything about my units yet, just the structures. I'll work on that next though.

And yes, I can see that. I only feel like I'm being made fun of if someone goes "you suck!" and stuff like that. So don't worry.

53 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I shamefully admit I also hadn't really made the connection to do that until Akariss mentioned it, but conveniently, my whole Anima team besides one unit attacks Res, and 4/6 of my Dark team attacks Def so other players hopefully can be under the impression that I'm not a total flop

Once Eir was added, my logic was to build defense teams around targeting her since she's the one constant. This means archers, and finding ways to get them into a position where those Eirs are either sniped or cornered. Most people are fond of Brave Lyn cuz hey, cavalry range, but I've been using Takumi (and sometimes Legendary Lyn) for months now and he's incredibly reliable due to Fujin Yumi expanding his movement dramatically, especially on a tree map.

53 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

I thought to try a version of this setup myself just to see how it works. Problem is I have nothing for Gunnthra's spot.I did consider my HS!Elise and Broadleaf Fan combined with the Panic does sound like a really good idea that I hadn't really thought about.

I don't have pictures of it, but I came up with the same kind of map like back in November or December, but with fewer units because of the lower tier, I tried it on Springwater. My units were nowhere near as optimized either and the structures were much weaker back then, so it went pretty poorly. I do think it's possible to make it work with a much lower investment than some of the other big meta Defenses though (like the Pulse setups).

On 7/7/2019 at 12:52 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

I decided to share my Defensive Successes from this season. I got 5, which is not that bad.

1. Needs more Naruto music

2. WHY DOESN'T EPHRAIM HAVE GALEFORCE, I'M CRYING, HE COULD HAVE KILLED EVERYONE

3. That Kjelle loss made me sad, she was putting in such work, Hector could have shown some MERCY! 😠

Great successes through, way too many people fell for the Alm trap and with two dancers, they can't really hope to win, mwahahaha~ Really unique and original team you have there~ 559906136443191336.png?v=1

Now give Ephraim Galeforce, thanx~

50 minutes ago, Johann said:

Once Eir was added, my logic was to build defense teams around targeting her since she's the one constant. This means archers, and finding ways to get them into a position where those Eirs are either sniped or cornered. Most people are fond of Brave Lyn cuz hey, cavalry range, but I've been using Takumi (and sometimes Legendary Lyn) for months now and he's incredibly reliable due to Fujin Yumi expanding his movement dramatically, especially on a tree map.

I don't have pictures of it, but I came up with the same kind of map like back in November or December, but with fewer units because of the lower tier, I tried it on Springwater. My units were nowhere near as optimized either and the structures were much weaker back then, so it went pretty poorly. I do think it's possible to make it work with a much lower investment than some of the other big meta Defenses though (like the Pulse setups).

Yeah, my current setup also has a couple archers and they deal with her, L!Azura, other flying dancers, and the occasional B!Fjorm pretty well~ I've played your map and been caught off guard by your Takumi, too, I really like the idea you have with it~

Springwater seems like a good map to use it on, too~ I'll test the  team for a week and see how it goes. It's not perfect since I didn't give Panic to the Healers, but I added Veronica so she should be decent enough just to experiment~ I have wanted to build a Nanna, may use her for something like this~

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

1. Needs more Naruto music

2. WHY DOESN'T EPHRAIM HAVE GALEFORCE, I'M CRYING, HE COULD HAVE KILLED EVERYONE

3. That Kjelle loss made me sad, she was putting in such work, Hector could have shown some MERCY! 😠

Great successes through, way too many people fell for the Alm trap and with two dancers, they can't really hope to win, mwahahaha~ Really unique and original team you have there~ 559906136443191336.png?v=1

Now give Ephraim Galeforce, thanx~

Yeah... after seeing the replays, Ephraim deserves to have Galeforce.

And yes, my defensive team is pretty original and unique... you should check my new defense team that I created for Dark Season... it's also original and unique. 559906136443191336.png.a519c5c671e2eb8c789c488a776689c3.png

Yeah, my current setup also has a couple archers and they deal with her, L!Azura, other flying dancers, and the occasional B!Fjorm pretty well~ I've played your map and been caught off guard by your Takumi, too, I really like the idea you have with it~

Thanks! He's the unsung hero of AR defense and I'm surprised that nobody uses him.

Springwater seems like a good map to use it on, too~ I'll test the  team for a week and see how it goes. It's not perfect since I didn't give Panic to the Healers, but I added Veronica so she should be decent enough just to experiment~ I have wanted to build a Nanna, may use her for something like this~

The issue with Springwater is that the ponds on the sides give the player two places to hide, unlike the Desert's one space. It made enough sense to me to use back then since I only had 4 units anyway, and it was before Eir and Legendary Azura so few players could risk flying over the ponds. I used to figure Springwater's best use would have been a map like that, but lately I've seen some good ones that use a more typical setup (like with pre-nerf Abandoned Castle) and rely on the water to make the approach more difficult.

I just changed up my team and map a bit more using some of the advice I got. I think this one is better. I decided not to use legendary Eliwood this time though. I put Hrid in his place instead. I thought he fit a little better in this lineup because I no longer have a beast or dragon unit there.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I just changed up my team and map a bit more using some of the advice I got. I think this one is better. I decided not to use legendary Eliwood this time though. I put Hrid in his place instead. I thought he fit a little better in this lineup because I no longer have a beast or dragon unit there.

Can you show your map and units? 

And I have been busy today, so couldn’t get to expanding on my post yesterday. You said you didn’t know what to reply. I am just curious if you read the entire thing yet and if you checked out the youtube video. It explains very well why F!Robin is indeed a great unit vs the map, but why only she is not going to be enough to beat it. One of the replays he shows also has a TA Raventome user if memory serves and the attacker cannot win.

So just curious and i hope you have a better understanding of how and why certain things work or don’t. I am planning on continuing my post from yesterday, just didn’t have the time today.

20 hours ago, Hilda said:

The only thing i see working here is Null C-Disrupt like on multiple levels.

I sure wish I had more of that skill, it would've really helped here. I do have one -atk Nailah that I use on Light season, but if this gets more common I might have to start brunging her during Astra season too.

20 hours ago, Maaka said:

Optimizing your teams for score is pretty harsh with two mythics. I have gotten lucky that the bonus units are useful as galeforce units (Yarne this week, Eliwood/Summer Ylgr/Linus for next week) so I managed to keep four 160 teams and a 140 team with two dancers and my galeforcers with one mythic. However, low merge galeforce units will work just as well if you really plan them out well. Most teams on astra/anima seasons have high attack due to Duma, so try for a more speed based galeforcer with flashing blade. Light/Dark seasons have high speed teams due to Yune, so use a high attack galeforcer, but still with enough speed, with heavy blade. It is higher investment, but speed smoke is nice to have on your main galeforce unit and a movement type hone like hone cavalry on one of your other units is nice to buff them up a bit more. 

Of course, you can just +10 a few galeforce units if you don't mind investing in AR. Even 4*+10 works really well.

Thanks for the tips! I'll keep this in mind when I build my units. I do have an Oscar with a couple of merges that I'm thinking of giving Galeforce to, would he perform similarly to Peri? I'm also thinking of building Peri herself now, since I need more Galeforce units anyways. 

18 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

First off, level up your Tactics Room to the maximum level and always have it deployed. If this map template becomes popular, you'll want to avoid putting the Tactics Room in the third column from the left.

Second, if you've run out of ladders, remove it from your map and don't replace it with another building. I've found the extra space to be helpful rather often and not just for this type of map. And if you haven't run out of ladders, just use a ladder and don't deal with this map if you can't.

My personal response to a map like this is to use a double tank team (but that's mostly because that's already my default team). The right side is easily baited, and Maribelle can be baited without Panic hitting your tanks. If you have Null C-Disrupt, you can even take out Maribelle at the same time. Then just hope you have the tools to clean up the rest.

If you have a third tank (that isn't an armor), you can have them bait Gunnthra and completely gut the defense team's damage output.

Alternatively, if your Tactics Room is effective and in that position, a Triangle Adept Gronnraven cavalry unit can walk up and whack Reinhardt after someone else destroys the building in front of him and then just sit there.

Tactics Room is already leveled up, and this time I was lucky that it was in Veronica's column. I usually have it in the column where Gunnthrá was actually, but if that happened this time it would've been useless due to her 60 HP. 

I often forget to remove my Escape Ladder once I've used it up though, I should get better at that.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to anyone I didn't quote as well. It's a bit reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who has trouble with this kind of defense map.

16 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Can you show your map and units? 

And I have been busy today, so couldn’t get to expanding on my post yesterday. You said you didn’t know what to reply. I am just curious if you read the entire thing yet and if you checked out the youtube video. It explains very well why F!Robin is indeed a great unit vs the map, but why only she is not going to be enough to beat it. One of the replays he shows also has a TA Raventome user if memory serves and the attacker cannot win.

So just curious and i hope you have a better understanding of how and why certain things work or don’t. I am planning on continuing my post from yesterday, just didn’t have the time today.

Sure.

JQXQQk6.jpg

Berkut is there mainly because he's one of my small number of Dark blessed units. But he's also one of my few units with an actual Res stat too, so... Hone Fliers is now a little more useful on Azura because she can buff Sigrun and Yune. Sigrun also has Air Orders to help Azura's mobility. Yune has Aerobatics Seal since she's got some cav allies there. I might switch Sigrun and Azura's positions so Azura buffs both right away, but I dunno how useful that'd be. Sigrun has an AR skill in the A slot that buffs her on defense maps. I also put Drive seals on a few people here. Berkut also has Warding Stance 2 seal and Hrid has Fierce Stance 3 seal. Anyone tries to attack the latter on enemy phase, they're getting a 66 Atk hit to the face. lol (He's +Atk!)

The only problem I can see here is the effect of Berkut's weapon hurting things too much...literally. Since it damages allies. But he's a decent unit besides, and like I said, is one of my few Dark blessed units. And maybe the healing tower will help make up for some of the damage his lance does?

Oh, and a video was posted explaining that female Robin thing? I must have missed it somehow, I never saw it.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sure.

JQXQQk6.jpg

Berkut is there mainly because he's one of my small number of Dark blessed units. But he's also one of my few units with an actual Res stat too, so... Hone Fliers is now a little more useful on Azura because she can buff Sigrun and Yune. Sigrun also has Air Orders to help Azura's mobility. Yune has Aerobatics Seal since she's got some cav allies there. I might switch Sigrun and Azura's positions so Azura buffs both right away, but I dunno how useful that'd be. Sigrun has an AR skill in the A slot that buffs her on defense maps. I also put Drive seals on a few people here. Berkut also has Warding Stance 2 seal and Hrid has Fierce Stance 3 seal. Anyone tries to attack the latter on enemy phase, they're getting a 66 Atk hit to the face. lol (He's +Atk!)

The only problem I can see here is the effect of Berkut's weapon hurting things too much...literally. Since it damages allies. But he's a decent unit besides, and like I said, is one of my few Dark blessed units. And maybe the healing tower will help make up for some of the damage his lance does?

Oh, and a video was posted explaining that female Robin thing? I must have missed it somehow, I never saw it.

My concern is that it's still fairly  easy to bait out Gunnthra and Yune. Then Azura, while the rest are trapped inside and can be dealt with at the attacker's convinence because they cannot get out from behind your structures. Hrid and Berkut will be easily snipped by ranged units, as will Sigrun.

1 minute ago, Landmaster said:

My concern is that it's still fairly  easy to bait out Gunnthra and Yune. Then Azura, while the rest are trapped inside and can be dealt with at the attacker's convinence because they cannot get out from behind your structures. Hrid and Berkut will be easily snipped by ranged units, as will Sigrun.

Hrid isn't easily snipped by ranged units unless it's like Reinhardt or something. Remember, he has DC.

As for the those other units, well, there's nothing more I can do, I think.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sure.

The biggest issue I see with your map is the fact that you have melee units behind walls that they cannot break. This makes it easy to split your units so that a challenger only has to handle a few units per turn instead of the entire might of your team all at once.

For example, a unit standing directly below your Bolt Tower would be able to bait Yune and Gunnthra while remaining outside of Sigrun's range. Sigrun's maximum movement is left 2 squares to break the wall and then down 3 squares, which is not far enough to reach that square.

Berkut and Hrid are also locked entirely behind walls, meaning a player can very easily wait until your other units are taken care of before letting them out and killing them with their 5-to-2 unit lead.

17 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Hrid isn't easily snipped by ranged units unless it's like Reinhardt or something. Remember, he has DC.

Reinhardt happens to be a fairly common offense team unit. Brave Lyn also has Sacae's Blessing, which disables Hrid's Distant Counter, and is also a fairly common offense team unit.

I most commonly see Hrid as a front-liner with builds like Galeforce + Heavy Blade + Lunge since Gjoll makes it relatively safe for him to initiate combat.

@Anacybele I'd say move Hrid down one space and put Gunnthra in the top right corner. This prevents Gunnthra from being lured out my herself, and most attempts to bait Hrid would require baiting Gunnthra as well.

I have to head out so I can't analyze it further, but I think using a Rally in there somewhere could be a very clever way of catching people off guard when they try to bait certain units (Rallier moves in to Rally the baited unit, Azura dances the Rallier, the Rallier now has super buffs and can attack the enemy).

25 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The biggest issue I see with your map is the fact that you have melee units behind walls that they cannot break. This makes it easy to split your units so that a challenger only has to handle a few units per turn instead of the entire might of your team all at once.

For example, a unit standing directly below your Bolt Tower would be able to bait Yune and Gunnthra while remaining outside of Sigrun's range. Sigrun's maximum movement is left 2 squares to break the wall and then down 3 squares, which is not far enough to reach that square.

Berkut and Hrid are also locked entirely behind walls, meaning a player can very easily wait until your other units are taken care of before letting them out and killing them with their 5-to-2 unit lead.

Azura is in range of that square right below the bolt tower too though, so she can attack or dance whoever is baited, if the baited unit survives. That square is vulnerable to three units if the tower is not destroyed, four if it is destroyed.

25 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Reinhardt happens to be a fairly common offense team unit. Brave Lyn also has Sacae's Blessing, which disables Hrid's Distant Counter, and is also a fairly common offense team unit.

I most commonly see Hrid as a front-liner with builds like Galeforce + Heavy Blade + Lunge since Gjoll makes it relatively safe for him to initiate combat.

I see. I'll have to think about a build like that someday, though it'd require me to use the Heavy Blade seal, not the A slot skill, because A slot Heavy Blade is hard to get and I'd rather merge my PoR Ikes than fodder them. xP

20 minutes ago, Johann said:

@Anacybele I'd say move Hrid down one space and put Gunnthra in the top right corner. This prevents Gunnthra from being lured out my herself, and most attempts to bait Hrid would require baiting Gunnthra as well.

I have to head out so I can't analyze it further, but I think using a Rally in there somewhere could be a very clever way of catching people off guard when they try to bait certain units (Rallier moves in to Rally the baited unit, Azura dances the Rallier, the Rallier now has super buffs and can attack the enemy).

Hm. That sounds good to me. I'll do that. That top part anyway, since I'd have to think about how to put a rally unit in there.

Oh, I also just moved the healing tower over a few spaces so Hrid and Berkut aren't "locked."

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Azura is in range of that square right below the bolt tower too though, so she can attack or dance whoever is baited, if the baited unit survives. That square is vulnerable to three units if the tower is not destroyed, four if it is destroyed.

Dancers other than Micaiah are generally not considered to be a direct threat from being attacked by because they simply don't have the Atk to be threatening to most tanks. Furthermore, the AI will prioritize Assist skills over attacking if the unit is incapable of dealing high enough damage, which means dancers will typically dance instead of attack.

As for breaking the Bolt Tower, no one is going to do that (unless they have a really good tank). It's pretty easy to get a unit in position to bait Gunnthra and Yune on turn 2 (if not earlier) and simply wait until the next turn to break the Bolt Tower.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. I'll have to think about a build like that someday, though it'd require me to use the Heavy Blade seal, not the A slot skill, because A slot Heavy Blade is hard to get and I'd rather merge my PoR Ikes than fodder them. xP

Yeah, definitely use the Heavy Blade Sacred Seal for this build. It's not worth giving up Distant Counter for Heavy Blade when going this route.

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Dancers other than Micaiah are generally not considered to be a direct threat from being attacked by because they simply don't have the Atk to be threatening to most tanks. Furthermore, the AI will prioritize Assist skills over attacking if the unit is incapable of dealing high enough damage, which means dancers will typically dance instead of attack.

As for breaking the Bolt Tower, no one is going to do that (unless they have a really good tank). It's pretty easy to get a unit in position to bait Gunnthra and Yune on turn 2 (if not earlier) and simply wait until the next turn to break the Bolt Tower.

Yeah, that's why I said attack OR dance. I'm aware dancers generally prioritize dancing.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah, definitely use the Heavy Blade Sacred Seal for this build. It's not worth giving up Distant Counter for Heavy Blade when going this route.

Oh yeah, that too. Definitely don't want to give up DC.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

As for the those other units, well, there's nothing more I can do, I think.

I know he has DC, doesn't make him any less easily nuked. DC does nothing when you go down in one hit.

I recommend to switch to ranged units or at the least make Berkut and Hrid not trapped behind objects, because as they are now, they're not doing anything to help your team and are actually pretty much just free for the attacker to dispose of without having to worry about dying.

1 minute ago, Landmaster said:

I know he has DC, doesn't make him any less easily nuked. DC does nothing when you go down in one hit.

I recommend to switch to ranged units or at the least make Berkut and Hrid not trapped behind objects, because as they are now, they're not doing anything to help your team and are actually pretty much just free for the attacker to dispose of without having to worry about dying.

I said I decided to untrap them.