Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

She is a frequent bonus unit, as she is there 25% of the time. Besides the Askr Trio and Fjorm, no other unit comes close to being a frequent bonus unit. Being a bonus unit is the equivalent of being merge +10 with another HP +6 on top. She does not need merges during her bonus rotation since she has enough stats to compete effectively. For players on a budget and wish to climb Aether Raids in a reasonable amount of time, Sharena is one of the best supertanks to invest in.

She is good enough to pull her own weight during her rotation, and more than good enough to take out DW!Berkut, so that is why she is used.

You're still missing the point. All I'm saying is that if you have the other bonus units with merges, they are better because they have the extra stats from those merges AND from being a bonus unit. The merges may be harder to get, but the whales will surely have them. FTPlayers though, you are correct, Sharena is not bad to have.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

You're still missing the point. All I'm saying is that if you have the other bonus units with merges, they are better because they have the extra stats from those merges AND from being a bonus unit. The merges may be harder to get, but the whales will surely have them. FTPlayers though, you are correct, Sharena is not bad to have.

Sharena is godlike during her bonus week. I used her as an Omega tank last week and reached Tier 26 with only 80 lift away from entering Tier 27. Of course you cant just place a generic run of the hill Sharena. Mine uses Distant Counter. Null Follow up etc. Dull ALL is a very powerfull refine!!! and of course double Eir buffs & cheerleader (LEliwood in this case).

You assume stuff that is not true

11 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Sharena is godlike during her bonus week. I used her as an Omega tank last week and reached Tier 26 with only 80 lift away from entering Tier 27. Of course you cant just place a generic run of the hill Sharena. Mine uses Distant Counter. Null Follow up etc. Dull ALL is a very powerfull refine!!! and of course double Eir buffs & cheerleader (LEliwood in this case).

You assume stuff that is not true

Those are very hard to get skills. You all talk about Sharena being a great FTP option, and yet skills like DC and Null Follow-Up are 5 star only and hard for FTPlayers to get. I spend money on the game and I've never once pulled a regular Hector. I only got my first Adrift male Corrin recently. I have Hrid, but I use him instead of foddering him.

So no, I don't "assume stuff that is not true."

I wish DC was a lot easier to come by.  I've only ever foddered it to Titania, since it's so rare.  I wish it was like Swift Sparrow, and they put it on a new unit every banner.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I wish DC was a lot easier to come by.  I've only ever foddered it to Titania, since it's so rare.  I wish it was like Swift Sparrow, and they put it on a new unit every banner.

At least it's on some fairly accessible units though. Close Counter's availability is even worse. It's only on Takumi and Christmas Tharja, the former of whom is one of the first year units removed from new banners, and the latter of whom is only available once a year now...if she even gets rerun again given IS's treatment of certain summer banners lately.

Meanwhile Hrid and legendary Hector show up multiple times a year, and DC is also available on regular Hector and Valentine Ike.

And tbh, I'd like Close Counter for Boey. I did ditch a Takumi once for Halloween Jakob as well, but it was the one we got for free a long time ago. I wish it was more accessible too.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

At least it's on some fairly accessible units though. Close Counter's availability is even worse. It's only on Takumi and Christmas Tharja, the former of whom is one of the first year units removed from new banners, and the latter of whom is only available once a year now...if she even gets rerun again given IS's treatment of certain summer banners lately.

Meanwhile Hrid and legendary Hector show up multiple times a year, and DC is also available on regular Hector and Valentine Ike.

And tbh, I'd like Close Counter for Boey. I did ditch a Takumi once for Halloween Jakob as well, but it was the one we got for free a long time ago. I wish it was more accessible too.

I think Nailah is the only unit in the general pool with DC, the others being seasonals and legendaries, and I don't know about other people's luck, but I have terrible luck on them, always getting pity broken by the wrong unit, since you only have a 1 in 3 chance of getting the unit you want, even with sniping.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I think Nailah is the only unit in the general pool with DC, the others being seasonals and legendaries, and I don't know about other people's luck, but I have terrible luck on them, always getting pity broken by the wrong unit, since you only have a 1 in 3 chance of getting the unit you want, even with sniping.

Nailah has DC? I didn't know that. I must not have paid enough attention to the first laguz banner video. And I never pulled her before either. But yeah.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Nailah has DC? I didn't know that. I must not have paid enough attention to the first laguz banner video. And I never pulled her before either. But yeah.

I got two of her, but I fodder the extra to Fjorm for the antidazzlesweep skill, so the DC sort of went to waste on her.  I thought of trying to get Hector on the recent rerun banner, but Orbs were low, and I can't justify spending likely $100 just to get one copy of fodder.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Close Counter is also on Hoshidan Summer Xander.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I got two of her, but I fodder the extra to Fjorm for the antidazzlesweep skill, so the DC sort of went to waste on her.  I thought of trying to get Hector on the recent rerun banner, but Orbs were low, and I can't justify spending likely $100 just to get one copy of fodder.

I see, still lucky that you got her at all though, I guess. And I can understand that, I'd like Swift Sparrow 3 for Summer Frederick, and I did try a few times for Summer Laegjarn, but I can't justify spending a lot of money for that either, even considering how big a fan I am of Freddy.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

Close Counter is also on Hoshidan Summer Xander.

Didn't know this either. Never pulled him or tried for him, so...

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Those are very hard to get skills. You all talk about Sharena being a great FTP option, and yet skills like DC and Null Follow-Up are 5 star only and hard for FTPlayers to get. I spend money on the game and I've never once pulled a regular Hector. I only got my first Adrift male Corrin recently. I have Hrid, but I use him instead of foddering him.

Those are kinda minimum requirement if you want to run any kind of competent infantry Omega Tank (Null C or Null Follow up)

@Anacybele An alternative solution to most of these suggestions is to just focus on a few specific Legendary heroes like Hrid, Fjorm, etc. That's what I do anyway. They don't need special investment to make functional, and pulling extra copies isn't usually necessary (it sure helps though). It's great since you won't have to use extra Light/Astra blessings either on new units or rotating out the most solid units.

In my experience, the most valuable skills for AR are Atk Smoke 3 and Smite.

3 hours ago, Hilda said:

Those are kinda minimum requirement if you want to run any kind of competent infantry Omega Tank (Null C or Null Follow up)

I'd say the minimum requirement is just having good Def and Res. My Fjorm uses Shield Pulse for her B slot and she can usually take on entire Defense maps by herself. Before Naga was added, I used my Hawkeye quite a bit too and he'd regularly wipe out entire Flier teams.

When Nailah’s banner dropped people immediately saw the value of Null C Disrupt, since firesweep and razzledazzle had no counterplay at the time. 

Nailah cost on average 89 orbs or so, so it should be possible to get two copies at least for pretty much everyone with f2p orbs. The update that four skills would be passable was also announced around that time. Meaning Nailah is the best unit for fodder in the game, giving her exclusive (for now) Null c disrupt AND Distant counter(her being the only unit in the permanent pool to have it). 

Many high tiered AR players invested some of their F2P orbs so that their tanks could function better.

So not a lot of people have nailah, but most competitive AR players do.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

In my opinion, no skill is hard to get, it is only a matter of prioritization and resource management. If free players can hoard Orbs to get their favorite character to +10, they can hoard Orbs to get a few copies of Distant Counter. I have saved over 600 free Orbs over the course of a few months and I spent about 300 to 400 of it on 4 BH!Ikes so I can fodder them for my dragons. If I can hoard 600+ Orbs for Steady Breath, free players can hoard a similar amount of Orbs for Distant Counter.

Null C-Disrupt is not even necessary as Guard can serve just as well.

The cheapest offensive climbing team requires 80,000 Hero Feathers (Sharena, 2 M!Corrins, Titania for Guard), 600 Divine Dew (Sharena, 2 M!Corrins), and enough Orbs to summon 1 Distant Counter fodder and 1 extra Eir. Everything else can be cheaply obtained from 4* units. 80,000 Feathers, 600 Dew, and enough Orbs to summon 2 5* exclusive unit as a price is honestly dirt cheap compared to what most players spend on their Arena team and Arena Assault Team 1. If you are really stingy on Orbs, you can use Nowi as a super tank so you do not need to get Distant Counter fodder, but it will cost you 220,000 Feathers; Nowi is a bit less effective as a super tank without Dull All, but she has access to merges so you can use her anytime instead of waiting for a bonus season. If anyone else can achieve something similar at an even cheaper cost, I would love to know.

1 hour ago, Vicious Sal said:

When Nailah’s banner dropped people immediately saw the value of Null C Disrupt, since firesweep and razzledazzle had no counterplay at the time. 

The need for Null C-Disrupt is a bit over exaggerated. In my opinion, it is better to let Firesweep nukes survive than to kill them outright, as they often take up space preventing more threatening enemies from attacking your super tank.

Firesweep archers do not deal enough damage, or barely any damage at all if the super tank is properly supported. Firesweep healers with Pain do not deal enough damage either, and they deal even less damage with other Weapons; Panic does not do anything if you use M!Corrins; Flash can clog up enemies in choke points, although Flash can be dangerous in open maps where the enemy can flank your super tank; Trilemma is the most dangerous if you are using a colored super tank, but I rarely see them. 

Hot take: most people try and pull units they like, instead of devoting four months of famine in the vague hope of getting a slightly better B-skill. 'Just stop pulling for units for half the year lmao' is honestly a pretty tall order, unrealistic for playing the game normally.

Look, my big favouritism units are literal garbagemen Marisa, Mathilda and Jamke. Two of them still have Wings of Mercy. I still made top 3k a couple weeks ago. Building a team specifically around AR is all well and good if you want to prioritise that, but talk of 'well all you need to do is build very specifically these units with this fodder and abandon all other goals' is not general advice, particularly with what comes across as an elitist, prescriptivist tone.

It's also a huge resource drain in order to get... slightly more (and different) resources on a trickle, it just doesn't add up unless you feel hyper-competitive about the mode. Which the 'cheapest possible climbing team' runs counter to. Pick your best-suited support and your strongest favourites and learn to play the game-mode better. There's no rush.

Edited by Parrhesia

6 hours ago, XRay said:

Firesweep archers do not deal enough damage, or barely any damage at all if the super tank is properly supported. Firesweep healers with Pain do not deal enough damage either, and they deal even less damage with other Weapons; Panic does not do anything if you use M!Corrins; Flash can clog up enemies in choke points, although Flash can be dangerous in open maps where the enemy can flank your super tank; Trilemma is the most dangerous if you are using a colored super tank, but I rarely see them. 

you obviously havent run into double poison strike Firesweep bow users. letting them attack you twice (they usually get redanced if you dont kill them) is devestating to your tank, because they will deal a guaranteed 40 dmg, all it then needs is a well placed swooping unit with a precharged special to remove the remaining what? 20 HP

8 hours ago, Johann said:

An alternative solution to most of these suggestions is to just focus on a few specific Legendary heroes like Hrid, Fjorm, etc. That's what I do anyway. They don't need special investment to make functional, and pulling extra copies isn't usually necessary (it sure helps though). It's great since you won't have to use extra Light/Astra blessings either on new units or rotating out the most solid units.

In my experience, the most valuable skills for AR are Atk Smoke 3 and Smite.

I see. I love Hrid and don't mind investing into Fjorm, so I can definitely play with them more!

Smite and Atk Smoke 3 aren't hard to get. The former is on Mordecai, Bartre, and Effie I think and they're 3-4 star pulls, and Atk Smoke 3 is on Kaze whom I strangely pull a lot now after already making him +10... xP

6 hours ago, XRay said:

In my opinion, no skill is hard to get, it is only a matter of prioritization and resource management. If free players can hoard Orbs to get their favorite character to +10, they can hoard Orbs to get a few copies of Distant Counter. I have saved over 600 free Orbs over the course of a few months and I spent about 300 to 400 of it on 4 BH!Ikes so I can fodder them for my dragons. If I can hoard 600+ Orbs for Steady Breath, free players can hoard a similar amount of Orbs for Distant Counter.

Null C-Disrupt is not even necessary as Guard can serve just as well.

The cheapest offensive climbing team requires 80,000 Hero Feathers (Sharena, 2 M!Corrins, Titania for Guard), 600 Divine Dew (Sharena, 2 M!Corrins), and enough Orbs to summon 1 Distant Counter fodder and 1 extra Eir. Everything else can be cheaply obtained from 4* units. 80,000 Feathers, 600 Dew, and enough Orbs to summon 2 5* exclusive unit as a price is honestly dirt cheap compared to what most players spend on their Arena team and Arena Assault Team 1. If you are really stingy on Orbs, you can use Nowi as a super tank so you do not need to get Distant Counter fodder, but it will cost you 220,000 Feathers; Nowi is a bit less effective as a super tank without Dull All, but she has access to merges so you can use her anytime instead of waiting for a bonus season. If anyone else can achieve something similar at an even cheaper cost, I would love to know.

Sure, one can do that, but Parrhesia makes a good point. It's gonna be hard to keep saving when some units I really like come around. And I love Ike, so I don't wanna fodder him, I want to merge any Ikes! xP

What's the idea behind two male Corrins though?

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Hilda said:

check his base kit and weapon and then come back and tell us what you saw

I see Yato and its effect, Dragon Fang, Defense +3, and Obstruct. All I can guess is that somehow Obstruct is useful? I've never seen any units with it in AR though. Heck, I've never even seen any male Corrins there either. But then maybe this is only used on offense and not so much defense?

Edited by Anacybele

39 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see Yato and its effect, Dragon Fang, Defense +3, and Obstruct. All I can guess is that somehow Obstruct is useful? I've never seen any units with it in AR though. Heck, I've never even seen any male Corrins there either. But then maybe this is only used on offense and not so much defense?

His weapon effect stacks. If a unit has ally support with Corrin, two Corrins can provide double stat bonuses. You can combine this with Drives and other boosts for an impressive stat increase on the ally supported unit.

[edit]

You will have to spend 400 dew to refine both Corrins. Here is the refined effect:

Grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+2. If unit is within 2 spaces of support partner, grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 to that ally during combat.

Edited by Tree

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Male Corrin's refined Yato grants Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 to the ally that has ally support with him if this ally is within 2 spaces of Corrin. This stacks with the ally support boost, so it will be +5 when within 2 spaces, and +6 when Corrin is adjacent to that ally. If you have 2 Males Corrins, it can be Atk/Spd/Def/Res+12 to that ally. Let say one Corrin has Spur Atk/Spd C-Skill and Spur Def/Res Seal, and the other Corrin has Spur Def/Res C-Skill and Spur Atk/Spd Seal. When these two Corrins are adjacent to their supportive ally, that ally will have Atk/Spd/Def/Res+18 during combat.

49 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It is his Yato Special Refine. It gives +4 to all stats to his ally support if within two spaces. This stacks with multiple Corrins. And since he is ally supported he also gives +1 to all stats. Which also stacks if memory is right. So two Corrins with 1 space between them and the super tank grants +10 to all stats. I suppose you could push that up to +12 if such positioning was possible. Also this isn't counting C or seal slot which can be packed with the drives. So yet another +3 to all stats for +13-15 to all stats. This does require a fair bit of dew as XRay pointed out though since you need to refine 3 uniques.

Edit- wow, a lot of us piled on just now. @Diovani Bressan has the max right. I forgot that if you were going to try for the adjacent max stats that you would use spurs and not the more general drives.

On to general comments
Like usual my defense team for this season is working well enough. And I am keeping steady offense wise. Won't be climbing, but I don't really like this mode so I just care about mainting. I want to play this as casually as possible while netting solid rewards. I am good on Duma since that is where I dumped all my invested armors, now if only I could get a good cheap Yune team. Tried to do a bare bones cav line in the hopes that it would be enough due to lack of hiding places. But bare bones just doesn't cut it in AR. Going to have to either do something else or actually invest in something other than their base kits for everyone but Brave Lyn since she is already built(though a lot of crap is tanking her with ease so I am not as confident that investing in brave bow horsies for Eir season is as good an idea as I originally was thinking). Goal = get 1 kill on average. That is all. I will consider my defenses good if I can hit that mark. Anything extra(like the successes my armors get) is a bonus.

Edited by Usana

6 minutes ago, Tree said:

His weapon effect stacks. If a unit has ally support with Corrin, two Corrins can provide double stat bonuses. You can combine this with Drives and other boosts for an impressive stat increase on the ally supported unit.

[edit]

You will have to spend 400 dew to refine both Corrins. Here is the refined effect:

Oh, I never checked the refine since I've never had a 5 star male Corrin. But I see. And dew is hard to get a lot of, and I don't know why IS doesn't give us more sources for it, and I'm not at all a fan of male Corrin to begin with, so I don't see myself spending that many resources on him anytime soon at all.

6 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

Hot take: most people try and pull units they like, instead of devoting four months of famine in the vague hope of getting a slightly better B-skill. 'Just stop pulling for units for half the year lmao' is honestly a pretty tall order, unrealistic for playing the game normally.

Saving Orbs to pull for favorite units is no different from saving Orbs to pull for a skill. Summoning for skills is also cheaper since only 1 copy is needed instead of 11 copies to merge something to +10.

Lots of players have shown the discipline necessary to skip Foci and hoard Orbs, so I do not think asking them to set aside a small amount of Orbs for gameplay progression is a tall order. On every Focus thread, the first few pages are littered with "skip" comments, so recommending players to set aside Orbs is already something many are used to doing.

Look, my big favouritism units are literal garbagemen Marisa, Mathilda and Jamke. Two of them still have Wings of Mercy. I still made top 3k a couple weeks ago. Building a team specifically around AR is all well and good if you want to prioritise that, but talk of 'well all you need to do is build very specifically these units with this fodder and abandon all other goals' is not general advice, particularly with what comes across as an elitist, prescriptivist tone.

I recommended the team I described because it is cheap, it is easy to use, and I have experienced that climb to Tier 21 with that team, so I can attest to that team's effectiveness.

If Orbs are an issue, I recommended dropping Distant Counter fodder and use Nowi instead since she got it by default, although Feather costs will go up by 220,000. The climb will be faster since the player is not dependent on Sharena's bonus seasons, but the downside is that Nowi is more vulnerable to effective Weapons and she cannot run both Guard and Dull Range at the same time unless the player wants to spend Orbs on Steady Stance/Warding Stance or Distant Def. Players can even replace the second Eir with a third M!Corrin and invest 0 Orbs, but I think the the higher score and stronger healing is worth the Orb cost to significantly reduce frustration.

I am being detailed in my recommendation because I can attest to what is effective and what is not, and I do not want to leave players hanging wondering what skills they should use.

It's also a huge resource drain in order to get... slightly more (and different) resources on a trickle, it just doesn't add up unless you feel hyper-competitive about the mode. Which the 'cheapest possible climbing team' runs counter to. Pick your best-suited support and your strongest favourites and learn to play the game-mode better. There's no rush.

You cannot just tell players to learn to tactically play the game better. It does not solve their immediate issue and it does not give them anything concrete to start working on. In my opinion, telling players to just get better is even more elitist because tactics does not come naturally to everyone. In contrast, resource management is pretty straight forward as almost everyone has some experience in saving money, and it does not take any brain power to stick to a budget. Super tank teams are also the easiest team type to use because you literally just put your super tank at the edge of enemy range and you wait for foes to suicide on your super tank.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

you obviously havent run into double poison strike Firesweep bow users. letting them attack you twice (they usually get redanced if you dont kill them) is devestating to your tank, because they will deal a guaranteed 40 dmg, all it then needs is a well placed swooping unit with a precharged special to remove the remaining what? 20 HP

Firesweep archers with double Poison Strike is rare enough in my opinion that the player can afford to take the lost if they really cannot handle it. The goal is not to win every battle, but to win most battles with the least amount of investment and brain power.

Sharena has 73 HP (Fensalir [Spd], Summoner Support, bonus unit, Light Blessing with 2 Eirs), so she can still take a minor hit from a melee unit with 30 HP. 2 M!Corrins with balanced Drive distribution takes her to 53 Spd, 47 Def, and 50 Res. Distant Def Sacred Seal takes that further to 53 Def and 56 Res.

Sure, one can do that, but Parrhesia makes a good point. It's gonna be hard to keep saving when some units I really like come around. And I love Ike, so I don't wanna fodder him, I want to merge any Ikes! xP

It is up to players to spend their Orbs however they want. It is up to them to decide whether or not trading 2 Ike copies for a much easier time in Aether Raids is worth it.

In the long run, getting to Tier 21 is more important than getting a favorite units to +10, and many players can still use their favorite units at lower merge levels without any issue.

This is my team's complete set up:

Sharena
Fensalir [Spd]
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow
Distant Counter
Guard — Null C-Disrupt
Atk Smoke
Distant Def
I personally prefer Guard to disable Specials. Guard is basically the equivalent of Bracing Stance 3 (Def/Res +6) assuming the foe is using Moonbow. If the foe is using a stronger Special, say Ignis, then Guard could easily be the equivalent of Def/Res+12 or higher.

M!Corrin (two of them)
Yato [special]
Swap — Reposition
Moonbow — Glimmer
Triangle Adept
Axebreaker
Drive Spd — Drive Def — Drive Res
Drive Atk — Drive Spd — Drive Def — Drive Res
M!Corrin can provide 4/4/4/4 Drive buffs to his Ally Support partner via Yato [special]. Two of them with balanced Drive distribution can provide 12/12/12/12. Moonbow-Triangle Adept-Axebreaker is for dealing with Surtr. I recommend Drives so M!Corrins will not be targeted by ranged units; if he runs Spurs, he will be right behind Sharena and ranged enemies can just walk straight up to Sharena and kill M!Corrin.

Eir (two of them)
(vanilla skill set)
Reposition
Drive Atk — Drive Spd — Drive Def — Drive Res
Two Eirs provide HP/Res +10, which is crucial to surviving magic attacks. They can also heal up Sharena no matter how far apart they are, and the healing happens at the start of turn, so Eir can multitask and do other stuff in addition to healing. Eir will have her Sacred Seal slots empty, so I recommend running whatever Drives that remain to provide additional support if necessary.

Edited by XRay

2 minutes ago, Usana said:

Edit- wow, a lot of us piled on just now. @Diovani Bressan has the max right. I forgot that if you were going to try for the adjacent max stats that you would use spurs and not the more general drives.

Yeah. I use the double spurs strats with both Male Corrin and Marth. I was so happy when we got the Dual Spur seals.