Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

The Lava Map got nerfed pretty early and the Spring Breeze map got one wall moved and one wall became breakable. also the castle ruins has now more breakable (instead of unbreakable walls). This was noted in the update descreption like 3 months ago or so, you know those notifications IS throws at you in your face when you visit the castle the first time for the day.

Oh, that. I remember that, but that seems like a pretty minor change to me.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, that. I remember that, but that seems like a pretty minor change to me.

Trust me the changes were pretty huge.  There was some crazy broken abusive set ups before, now it takes quite a bit more creativity to come up with something oppressively strong.  

2 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Trust me the changes were pretty huge.  There was some crazy broken abusive set ups before, now it takes quite a bit more creativity to come up with something oppressively strong.  

Really? All because of changes to one or two tiles in the maps? Huh, well, if you say so. I still haven't seen much of a difference, but yeah.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Really? All because of changes to one or two tiles in the maps? Huh, well, if you say so. I still haven't seen much of a difference, but yeah.

Really.  I'm sure you can find online videos of high level aether defense before the changes and that explain why the maps worked so well with certain set ups.  

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

The gist of it is that the placement of the impassible tiles on those maps had only a 1-tile space between them that you could fit the fortress into, allowing you to wall off half of your map with indestructible impassible tiles and forcing attackers to come at your map from only one side.

The changes either made the impassible tiles destructible or moved them to make a 2-tile gap instead of a 1-tile gap, making it impossible to make a completely impenetrable wall.

53 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The gist of it is that the placement of the impassible tiles on those maps had only a 1-tile space between them that you could fit the fortress into, allowing you to wall off half of your map with indestructible impassible tiles and forcing attackers to come at your map from only one side.

The changes either made the impassible tiles destructible or moved them to make a 2-tile gap instead of a 1-tile gap, making it impossible to make a completely impenetrable wall.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

j6xvhgBl.png

Byleth really carried me hard through a lot of battles last week, alongside L!Ephraim and my new Tibarn as Galeforce units. Byleth being able to tank and one-shot units like Tibarn was incredibly helpful. I've given male Byleth a Light Blessing, so hopefully he'll perform just as well as her this week.

Byleth's sword being so useful makes me kind of want to give the Nailah I got on the Hero Fest banner to female Byleth in order to make a very all rounded check to a lot of units. Would female Byleth be a good user of Null C-Disrupt, or would she quickly fall off once she's not a bonus unit anymore?

On 8/20/2019 at 2:15 PM, BoaFerox said:

Byleth's sword being so useful makes me kind of want to give the Nailah I got on the Hero Fest banner to female Byleth in order to make a very all rounded check to a lot of units. Would female Byleth be a good user of Null C-Disrupt, or would she quickly fall off once she's not a bonus unit anymore?

Are you trying to turn her into a super tank?

Super tank or not, tanks in general are extremely dependent on having high stats to be reliable. Unless you plan to give F!Byleth a lot of merges, Dragonflowers, and/or Summoner Support, her performance is going to drop like a rock once she is no longer a bonus unit. Bonus unit stats are huge. HP+10 and Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 is no small stat boost; that is the equivalent of merge +10 with HP+6 thrown in.

If you are willing to give her Summoner Support and max Dragonflowers, then maybe—and that is a huge maybe—you can get away without a lot of merges. I would at least get her to merge +1 to eliminate the Flaw though if you have not already done so.

I gave my Sharena Summoner Support, which is the equivalent of merge +5 with HP+3 on top, along with stupid amounts of stat stacking she has access to as a super tank, and she still is not reliable enough to be consistently used during her non bonus weeks.

11 hours ago, XRay said:

Are you trying to turn her into a super tank?

Super tank or not, tanks in general are extremely dependent on having high stats to be reliable. Unless you plan to give F!Byleth a lot of merges, Dragonflowers, and/or Summoner Support, her performance is going to drop like a rock once she is no longer a bonus unit. Bonus unit stats are huge. HP+10 and Atk/Spd/Def/Res+4 is no small stat boost; that is the equivalent of merge +10 with HP+6 thrown in.

If you are willing to give her Summoner Support and max Dragonflowers, then maybe—and that is a huge maybe—you can get away without a lot of merges. I would at least get her to merge +1 to eliminate the Flaw though if you have not already done so.

I gave my Sharena Summoner Support, which is the equivalent of merge +5 with HP+3 on top, along with stupid amounts of stat stacking she has access to as a super tank, and she still is not reliable enough to be consistently used during her non bonus weeks.

I wasn't thinking super tank exactly, more just a unit that could bait some Firesweep and staff users and take on units like Tibarn who rely on effects that her weapon eliminates. I got a lot of use out of having Nailah on one of my teams until now for example, so I thought Byleth could be something similar exept for Astra season. I would like to get a merge to get rid of the bane of course, but I guess that might be extra important if she's going to run Distant counter and lose the extra stats from Fury 4. 

I'll hold off on sacrificing my extra Nailah for a bit and see if I want to invest a bit more in Byleth down the road. Are there any other units you think could use Nailah's skills more efficiently?

3 hours ago, BoaFerox said:

I wasn't thinking super tank exactly, more just a unit that could bait some Firesweep and staff users and take on units like Tibarn who rely on effects that her weapon eliminates. I got a lot of use out of having Nailah on one of my teams until now for example, so I thought Byleth could be something similar exept for Astra season. I would like to get a merge to get rid of the bane of course, but I guess that might be extra important if she's going to run Distant counter and lose the extra stats from Fury 4. 

I that case, I think it should be fine, but make sure you have a reliable way of giving her a stat advantage, such as with Drives or debuffing the enemy with Sabotages.

3 hours ago, BoaFerox said:

I'll hold off on sacrificing my extra Nailah for a bit and see if I want to invest a bit more in Byleth down the road. Are there any other units you think could use Nailah's skills more efficiently?

I recommend DW!F!Corrin if you are into Smiting units strategy. Her Weapon gives her a huge stat boost when she is alone. She does not have fancy skills, but the stat boost more than makes up for it in my opinion. She is also colorless, which means you do not have to worry about color disadvantage.

If you want a green option, there is A!F!Corrin, but she works best when she is near allies instead.

If you need a cheap option in the 3*-4* pool, I think any infantry second generation onwards and any infantry with trainee bonus are fine, ideally both if possible.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I recommend DW!F!Corrin if you are into Smiting units strategy. Her Weapon gives her a huge stat boost when she is alone. She does not have fancy skills, but the stat boost more than makes up for it in my opinion. She is also colorless, which means you do not have to worry about color disadvantage.

I wouldn't recommand Fallen Corrin actually.

While yes her weapon is powerful and she's colorless, the fact that she needs to be alone is also a detriment to make her a good tank. Having drives and weapons with support effect is essential for a super tank to function. Vantage or not vantage really.

Plus she is still has her dragon weakness. And if she got DC, she will lose her solo skill.

If you want to be cheap like me, use bonus week unit (idealy someone like Fjorm or Legendary Ike) and stack the hell out of them with buffs. Problem solve.

8 minutes ago, Nym said:

While yes her weapon is powerful and she's colorless, the fact that she needs to be alone is also a detriment to make her a good tank. Having drives and weapons with support effect is essential for a super tank to function. Vantage or not vantage really.

That is why I recommended the Smiting strategy for DW!F!Corrin. I do not think Smiting super tanks is a good idea if the player is using a traditional super tank strategy of relying on M!Corrins or Kadens.

However, Smiting super tanks can work if you are giving your super tank stat advantage via enemy debuffs.

8 minutes ago, Nym said:

Plus she is still has her dragon weakness. And if she got DC, she will lose her solo skill.

Effective weapons are not a huge issue in my opinion. I do not recall the last time I saw Falchion users and Nagas. I do see DW!Y!Tiki occasionally though.

All super tanks should run Distant Counter if they do not already have it on their weapon.

12 minutes ago, Nym said:

If you want to be cheap like me, use bonus week unit (idealy someone like Fjorm or Legendary Ike) and stack the hell out of them with buffs. Problem solve.

I would recommend Sharena or Fjorm since they are frequent bonus units. VL!Ike appears too infrequently as a bonus unit to justify investing in him unless you already gave him lots of merges.

Without merges, I lean towards Sharena since buff nullification is extremely powerful. If the player can afford merges, Fjorm is better since she can rely on having merges and slightly higher natural BST, so she is not as dependent on having bonus unit stats.

Edited by XRay

No ladders lost yet, only one unit lost on Offense today~ Pretty nice week so far~ Ethlyn is a much nicer bonus unit if for no other reason than I don't have to worry about her stealing the Bonus Doubler Boosts like M!Byleth does~

2 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

The best affordable Null C user is Donnel, he has a good stat spread, access to Casa Blanca+(dull ranged) and is easily merged.

I have given Null C to my Dancing Dagger Olivia together with Splashy bucket, splashy bucket cuts the healer damage down to 1/2 again and she can counter!. She kills Healers and Dragons for life. She has basicly solod so many AR Defense setups.

Still have to say Kronya did a lot to make AR more relaxed for me. For a short time I thought that people kind of made some setups against her. Which some may have done. But its actually a pretty small number I see really dangerous for her going in. So it does not consume a lot of time to come up with solutions for maps with her. Only sometimes I get a little too comfi and don't look at some traps. At least I got used to watch for Hardy Bearings. 

Almost thinking to merge her to make it a little more easier. But on a slow basis. 

Edited by Stroud

6 hours ago, Nym said:

Having drives and weapons with support effect is essential for a super tank to function. Vantage or not vantage really.

With the introduction of Legendary Eliwood, it's now possible to solo tank without any Drive-type support as long as you have the base stats to back it up and can keep yourself from being Panicked. Passing up on a Solo skill in the A slot for Distant Counter is a trade-off that is completely worth it due to the absurd amount of stats that her weapon gives her.

As for dragon weakness, that's generally not much of an issue. While I do see a decent number of Legendary Roy, Julia, and Deirdre running around, I've had no problem running dragon tanks against any of them other than Roy, who is still manageable when using a fast tank. It's armor weakness that's tricky to work with since armor-effective weapons are far more common and can be made more threatening by being available to use on more threatening units. And Corrin isn't an armor.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

With the introduction of Legendary Eliwood, it's now possible to solo tank without any Drive-type support as long as you have the base stats to back it up and can keep yourself from being Panicked. Passing up on a Solo skill in the A slot for Distant Counter is a trade-off that is completely worth it due to the absurd amount of stats that her weapon gives her.

True about Legendary Eliwood part, but aren't panic weapons popular in higher lifts though? I don't see them at my level outside of panic manor.

46 minutes ago, Nym said:

True about Legendary Eliwood part, but aren't panic weapons popular in higher lifts though? I don't see them at my level outside of panic manor.

Depends on the setup. Some use Panic Staves other use Dagger units with "The Cleaner+". I personally think "The Cleaner" is the better option, because a precharged dagger unit can potentialy dish out more dmg due to specials, while stave units usually die to Null-C disrupt and dont do that much damage (because they cant use specials). Or Spectral tome.

15 hours ago, Nym said:

I honestly haven't seen all that many, and those are the situations where I fall back to a more traditional tank instead of a solo tank.

IDK what it is with this week but, two more easy matches with no deaths~ Also got another Success on Defense that didn't count but killing a F!Tiki and Sothis instead of being curbstomped is enough for me~

Well my cav line is doing quite well this season. 3 losses and every loss had at least 1 kill. Which as some of you may remember was my goal. This week I am surpassing my aim though So far the only loss that counts is a 2 kill lose. So my total lost lift is 15. Pretty good so far.

4 of the 5 successes were complete sweeps(well one guy surrendered when it was only his flying dancer left. So that technically only got four kills but Reyson wasn't going to survive no matter what). Success number 5 was an instant surrender.

2 of the failures only had 1 foe defeated and the 3rd failure both of the guy's Eir's fell.

Looks like that minor change I made at the end of their last season made a fair difference. Basically I took the rallies off. I was losing fights due to the AI rallying even when it was panic'ed. Which completely neutered my offense. Now my Ralliers(other than Lilina who boosts res) have Harsh command instead. Aversa teams are no longer any where near as oppressive.

I ran into a cavalry line map, except they clearly didn't understand how it's supposed to work and didn't have a staffie on the left side, letting me just waltz up the left to slaughter them with Eliwood's dragon kindergarten.

Well now Ana can stop continuously talking about about one of her gripes with AR, as the ladder will be getting an upgrade.

I am conflicted that you can spend twice the lift. I think it makes climbing easier and lessens the challenge of AR. On the flip side, having it be a pretty much daily grind can get exhausting, so being able to ‘skip’ a day by doing two matches worth four matches could be stress relieving. 

Maybe it’ll have a cap with how many times you can double your lift. 

Defense rematches for free wins will probably skyrocket.