Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

How important is it to break both pots in the scheme of things? I just had back to back wins without losing a unit while using my newly built Kronya (Yay me! 😁but on the second one I wasn't able to get either pot. I probably could have, but it may have been riskier so I decided to just get the guarantied clean win. Does it just give you more aether to use for more matches each day, or does it actually affect the lift you earn to raise up the tiers? 

Also, does anybody know when the Panic Manor (D) will be back on the bonus rotation? I need to spend some stones to get dew, and that's the only building I don't have yet. I'd rather upgrade a more useful thing while I have the stones, but I want to make sure I have enough time to get more stones before it comes back as a bonus.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

How important is it to break both pots in the scheme of things? I just had back to back wins without losing a unit while using my newly built Kronya (Yay me! 😁but on the second one I wasn't able to get either pot. I probably could have, but it may have been riskier so I decided to just get the guarantied clean win. Does it just give you more aether to use for more matches each day, or does it actually affect the lift you earn to raise up the tiers? 

Also, does anybody know when the Panic Manor (D) will be back on the bonus rotation? I need to spend some stones to get dew, and that's the only building I don't have yet. I'd rather upgrade a more useful thing while I have the stones, but I want to make sure I have enough time to get more stones before it comes back as a bonus.

Breaking the pots gives you 10 extra Aether. If you don't break the pots, you can do less matches per Season. Pots don't really matter on the last day of the Season so those days, you con't have to worry about collecting them~

Panic Manor was a Bonus not too long ago, I think, so it will probably not be back for a while. It is pretty useful, though, so I'd get it as soon as you can~

@TEKWRX I'll give a slightly different answer on the pot question. It depends on your goals. Once you are in the promised land of T21 the pots only really matter if you are going for ranking or trying to hit T25+. I tend to land in the T23-25 range with only grabbing the easy pots. To go from T21 to T23 you only need  to gain 800 lift. Assuming you have 140 lift team(that is a blessed team with no bonus unit but two of the mythics or 1 mythic with the bonus unit, so I think that is a reasonable assumption for lift gain per match) that is 6 matches or 300 Aether. You start with 250 and get 70 each day. Grabbing T23 is so easy I often do it even when I forgot to play each day and end up playing 2 days or so, and playing poorly on top of everything(*cough* this week *cough*). T21-T24 requires you to gain 1200 lift, or win 9 matches(450 Aether worth). You can do that with no pot smashing. To go from T21-T25 requires 1600 lift.  For reference that is the same amount needed to climb from T20 to T21. And that is where it gets tough and pots start to matter. With a 140 lift team that is 12 matches you need to win, or 600 Aether minimum. This is doable without pots if you don't suffer significant defense losses or play poorly. But that is basically where you will cap out at without hunting pots. T26 and T27 are pot territory. You want those tiers. You need to learn to get the pots. And grabbing the easy ones is quite helpful even for those who don't care about anything above 25.

The second time you need to know pots is the climb from T20 to T21. Getting even just 10 pots throughout the season can help so much for that climb. Particularly if you can't win flawlessly. In general though I still recommend going for flawless wins over pots. About the only time that would be worth it is if you know the pot will let you get an extra match in. I will let a unit die on the last day if getting those pots will give me just enough Aether for one more match. You basically sacrifice 20 lift to potentially gain 140 from the extra match, a net gain of 120 if you play the cards right. Also if you already lost someone due to a misplay but know you can get the pots without losing anyone else that can help make up for that misplay. If I remember right you actually come out ahead even if you are always losing a single unit for the pots. But not by much. And most people won't be losing 1 unit every match so I can see why folks will recommend going for pots even if it might cost you a unit fairly regularly. Not only do you come out ahead but you will learn important details about how to acquire pots, which is needed if you want to try for ranking or T26-27.

As for the panic manor, I think they usually cycle pretty predictably down the list? So it should go Tactics Room next week, then Healing Tower, and then Panic Manor? I could be wrong, I haven't watched that closely, it just seems like it has been going in order as a general impression I had.

16 hours ago, Landmaster said:

Breaking the pots gives you 10 extra Aether. If you don't break the pots, you can do less matches per Season. Pots don't really matter on the last day of the Season so those days, you con't have to worry about collecting them~

Actually they do matter, just in specific situations. If you have 90 Aether on the last day and you do a match, getting the pots makes the difference on whether you get a second match or not.

2 minutes ago, Jave said:

Actually they do matter, just in specific situations. If you have 90 Aether on the last day and you do a match, getting the pots makes the difference on whether you get a second match or not.

Oh yeah, true, I more meant if it wouldn't make a difference either way, but yeah, if that's the case, you will want to get the Pots~

If I can win tomorrow without losing more than...I believe two units, most probably, I'll make tier 21! Crossing my fingers. It'd be great if I actually could get there! I'm 63 lift away.

Edited by Anacybele

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

If I can win tomorrow without losing more than...I believe two units, most probably, I'll make tier 21! Crossing my fingers. It'd be great if I actually could get there! I'm 63 lift away.

Good Luck! Hopefully you make it to the promised land!

7 hours ago, Usana said:

Good Luck! Hopefully you make it to the promised land!

And that I did! WOOP WOOOP!!

And then some too, actually. lol I had enough Aether this morning to do the double score thing and now I'm sitting at 11,259 lift! I didn't lose anyone in this battle either, though I also admit I got kinda lucky because I could safely park Brave Ike on a defense tile and let him do the rest. lol (well mostly, Peony did have to take out an RD Ike after he took some damage, as Brave Ike wasn't doing enough to him. ...Funny how this whole thing involved two Ikes when he's my fav! XD)

Though I also thank the double score change that was implemented. I never came anywhere close before this, though I also wasn't using Brave Ike in AR as much then. Thank IS for that change and Brave Ike! ❤️

Oh, also thanks to those in here who helped me. I didn't use every piece of advice given because of reasons... And there were some unfortunate disagreements as a result... But I still used some of that advice and it worked great! It'd be great if I could still get help here in the future if I were to need it. I hope to not have to turn down much advice at all no matter what, but yeah.

Now...I just hope I can maintain tier 21 like I have tier 20.

Edited by Anacybele

Finishing in Tier 26. I did 3 matches today, and none of them I needed to get pots, which helped me a lot.

I still can lose lift, but the max I can lose is -38, so it's not a big deal and cannot demote me.

For next season, the bonus units change. I may use NY Eir or Osian.

Welp I ended up in tier 25 this week, and I think my opinion has changed very slightly.

I still think the game mode is crap, but not having to worry as badly trying to get through the hurdle of getting to tier 21 made things less annoying so I could enjoy the mode a bit more, not having to go for the pots 24/7 was very nice as I dont really care to get into tier 27. I still hate the same untis are running around like nuts, but its been easier to get use to it. And after dealing with W!Sothis hell in arena, I am very glad that AR is a bit more flexible in what skills you can use, not by much mind you, but enough to enjoy this mode more then arena.

Speaking of which, since I got my Beruka to +10, id like some opinions on what would be better for the c-slot. Right now my options are Atk smoke, Pulse smoke, and Threat Atk/Spd. And for the possible future if I get panic smoke fodder, id like some thoughts on that as well. I generally stick with Atk smoke for obvious reason of trying to wall as much as possible, but I have been thinking about other c slots, and id like others peoples reasons for one or the other.

3 minutes ago, Deatheggx56 said:

I still think the game mode is crap, but not having to worry as badly trying to get through the hurdle of getting to tier 21 made things less annoying so I could enjoy the mode a bit more, not having to go for the pots 24/7 was very nice as I dont really care to get into tier 27. I still hate the same untis are running around like nuts, but its been easier to get use to it. And after dealing with W!Sothis hell in arena, I am very glad that AR is a bit more flexible in what skills you can use, not by much mind you, but enough to enjoy this mode more then arena.

Yeah. My opinion about Aether Raids also changed after I reached Tier 21.

Reaching Tier 21 is so stressful, but it's less annoying once we are above Tier 21. The frustration of ending in Tier 20, with 20-40 lift away reach Tier 21 was soooooo bad.

Playing to keep T 21 makes me less stressed, and by result, makes me play better.

3 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah. My opinion about Aether Raids also changed after I reached Tier 21.

Reaching Tier 21 is so stressful, but it's less annoying once we are above Tier 21. The frustration of ending in Tier 20, with 20-40 lift away reach Tier 21 was soooooo bad.

Playing to keep T 21 makes me less stressed, and by result, makes me play better.

Yeah, I agree, it's annoying to get to tier 21, but once you're there, it's not as stressful. I'm so glad I actually managed it, and I wasn't even seriously trying for the most part because I didn't think I could do it. 😛

My final lift for this season - 11,504 and tier 22! Yup, I got another double scoring opportunity. I lost Brave Ike this time as well, but he'd done most of the work by that point anyway. Good thing I had Ninian to take out that picnic Flora, she can be annoying. But I specifically brought in Ninian to help with reds that Brave Ike can't deal with. She's got several merges because of how many times she's pitybroken me and Peony isn't always the best choice here because units like that Flora can still take her out. Ninian's built with T-Adept and stuff. I'm glad I decided to try using her more here, she's been handy.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Congrats! Finally free from Tier 20 hell!

Now give your all to not fall back.

Thanks! And yeah! ...You sound like it's it hard to keep tier 21 though. ._.

For me, tier 21 was a significant step-up in difficulty in terms of the defenses I encountered, but that was back when tier 21+ was almost exclusively populated by the more hardcore crowd.  It's gotten easier, and I would be very surprised if there's still a big skill gap between the tiers.   

It was hard for one week for me, when I tried sticking to a standard unit composition that got me into T21 in the first place. My GHB-like strategy of staying out of enemy range was just too unreliable and I had maybe a 1/3 win rate that week. However it should be noted that was during Astra/Anima season and at the time I had no Astra or Anima hero at all. It should be significantly easier with at least one I imagine.

That said, I still don't have an Anima hero and I can't be bothered using (or indeed levelling) my one Astra hero in Naga, who is still level 1. However I now employ a faceroll Legendary Leif team and have not come remotely close to dropping since. I don't even exhaust my ladders at all anymore.

Leif has essentially saved this game mode for me. Without him, I think I would have just quit the mode cold turkey because it was just that unfun.

@Anacybele Congrats! Maintaining 21 shouldn't be too hard. I don't recall the maps being that much worse up here on average unless you are trying to climb all the way up to the top.  But getting enough lift to maintain is pretty easy, though it does help if you have defense teams set up to reduce average lift loss either through winning more often than not or just through blessings and mythics. If you can keep your average weekly lost lift below your teams score then you just need to win one match each week. Which is pretty easy.

But yeah if you know how much lift you usually lose each week you know roughly how many matches you need to win.  That said sometimes you can have really rough weeks. At this point my recommendation is to find as many ways to reduce defense losses as much as possible. Makes maintaining MUCH easier. Kinda of annoying to make, but you can actually get away with copying the team of a high level player. My Cav Line isn't one I thought up. I basically just copied the layout of the one posted in this thread(I do believe) back when they were becoming popular. OF course I have different units and tend to use fewer staff cavs, but it still works pretty well. I only lost 34 lift this week, though a bit of that was luck with the Lift Loss Control grabbing the two complete failures the team had.

4 Successes
2 Failures where 2 foes were defeated
1 Failure with 1 foe defeated(the 34 lost lift)
2 Complete Failures.

Even in a worst case scenario this week where all failures landed outside my protected window, I would only have lost 170(54+54+34+14+14). Which isn't too hard to gain back, though not ideal. Not sure what I can do to reduce it more since it is the well thought out super tank teams that bring it down. Brave Ike and the Askr Duo were the main problems wiping my team this week(2 Brave Ikes and 1 Askr Duo are the source of the 2 complete failures and the 1 foe lost failure, that last one didn't leave enough back room space and had to leave Duo Hector out. Poor guy thought Hector could tank Brave Lyn, didn't work out for him). Casa Blanca Valentine Eliwood and Great Flame Myrrh were the 2 failures with 2 foes defeated. And 2 of the 4 successes were against Dragon Tanks. Nowi was felled and a Fallen Corrin(who I thought was usually a problem for this team) got nuked as well. The other two were bouts where the person clearly had no idea how to deal with a cav line. But anyways the point of a cav line is to get those 1+foes killed(more is better obviously) each and every bout to reduce your lift loss. A good one will even have plenty of successes. Mine is not so good since usually half my successes are from folks just surrendering once one unit drops. This week was just better than average. Still I need to go in and shuffle things a bit. It gets wrecked by Brave Ike too easily and that is a threat I really should be prepared for(even if it was originally built before he was an AR threat).

Barely missed tier 27 by 40 lift, which is exactly my defense lift loss. Today's matches were fun, even if I used my last ladder. 

14 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Also reached the T26 milestone

Yay, same tier! 

4 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Was on a break, was planning on being on a break this week as well. 

‘AR Tier now 27!’

Wait what...? Hadn’t realised i was having a near perfect week. Good for me i guess.

Saw you in my friends' rankings. 

Surprise tier 27 weeks are best weeks, congrats! 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

My final lift for this season - 11,504 and tier 22!

Hey congrats! 

57 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You sound like it's it hard to keep tier 21 though. ._.

Maps will get harder, but you only need to gain as much lift as you loose on defense to not demote, which is a lot less stressful.