Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Arcanite said:

it's getting nigh impossible to win without upgrading my fortress...

At least I know that once I do upgrade it, life becomes easy pickings

The whole fortress system is so stupid. They should make so that if you win a match while having a fortress disadvantage, you earn extra bonus aether stones so that you can upgrade the fortress faster if you play well. They should reward smart players, not punish them because they haven't been playing the game since the beginning. I'm sure the current system scares off a lot of casual players and that leads to loss of revenue for IS. Because even if I spend a lot and get good units, it's still a crazy uphill battle to win consistently. I'm sure a lot of people think, "what's the point in summoning a lot if I'm still gonna always lose?"  

22 minutes ago, TEKWRX said:

The whole fortress system is so stupid. They should make so that if you win a match while having a fortress disadvantage, you earn extra bonus aether stones so that you can upgrade the fortress faster if you play well. They should reward smart players, not punish them because they haven't been playing the game since the beginning. I'm sure the current system scares off a lot of casual players and that leads to loss of revenue for IS. Because even if I spend a lot and get good units, it's still a crazy uphill battle to win consistently. I'm sure a lot of people think, "what's the point in summoning a lot if I'm still gonna always lose?"  

Yeah, I wish they were more new player friendly. Sacred Coins and Refining Stones are needlessly time gated, and it does nothing but punish new players.

58 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, I wish they were more new player friendly. Sacred Coins and Refining Stones are needlessly time gated, and it does nothing but punish new players.

this pretty much. its a stupid system.
Also Book 1 and 2 Grail units should cost only half, considerign how much investment they need to bring them even to a remotly competetiv level.

The whole game lately feels more like punish for not playing every damn day then joy.

Didn't they add a condition that boosts fortress level for newer players on offense some time ago?

Ah, only works Tier 12 and below, for some reason I thought it worked up to Tier 17. Only up to 12 though isn't nearly enough time to get offense fortress parity even with perfect play. Actually I wonder if it ends up acting as a trap. Tricking new players into thinking that the fortress levels aren't super important?

When you wait all day to get someone to hit your Defense and they just Surrender on sight.

You all disappoint me~

Anyway, almost embarrassed myself twice in my matches today. First I let a Bolt tower go off, leaving L!Eliwood with 5 HP and the Opponent's Leanne hit him for 4 damage. I know that Replay's gonna have him upset~

Then I couldn't one round a W!Cecilia (though I was debuffed) with W!Sothis and it could have got real nasty if I didn't have WOM on my Nagas~ We managed to take everyone down and leave a Maribelle trapped in a corner, but that could have been really bad for Sothis if that Cecilia had been allowed to run wild since she had Sky Maiougi and an active Armor March. Thankfully their Maribelle was wasting space running around Restoring and everyone ended up getting clustered enough to get taken out one by one.

7 hours ago, Usana said:

Didn't they add a condition that boosts fortress level for newer players on offense some time ago?

Ah, only works Tier 12 and below, for some reason I thought it worked up to Tier 17. Only up to 12 though isn't nearly enough time to get offense fortress parity even with perfect play. Actually I wonder if it ends up acting as a trap. Tricking new players into thinking that the fortress levels aren't super important?

I'm tier 20 anyway... my fortress is only level 3 😢

I'm not new, I just never played AR since a couple weeks after it came out... but if I did play I guess I wouldn't be in this mess. I also wouldn't even need to play since I probably would have had enough grails for +10 Delthea already

On 1/16/2020 at 6:06 PM, Landmaster said:

When you wait all day to get someone to hit your Defense and they just Surrender on sight.

You all disappoint me~

Dont know but i do that from time to time when i dont feel like doing AR and have enough points to not demote from Tier 21 (which isnt so hard to do after Day1). Has nothing to do with the Defense but more with getting the daily reward.

Probably my best AR Def Season~ 7 Successes and 3 Losses~ Only got one complete wipe due to Pulse Smoke, which I can't do anything about so not all that mad about it~ Overall pretty good~

W!Sothis still proved effective even outside of her Bonus Week, but I'm still not the biggest fan of lugging an Armor around every match~ I only used her over Kana this week because the Kana team scored much less~

Replays for the week~

Some interesting teams came in~ Dark Season has been reduced to a B!Ike Fest and it just gets boring these days~

Edited by Landmaster

Damn, came so close to a perfect-scoring Astra season. Offense was flawless with no deaths and no Ladders used. Shout outs to NY!Alfonse for being an insane carry—especially since double Naga has such good synergy with their Special. Defense was attacked ten times with seven wins and a final Lift loss of 40. One loss inflicted two kills, so no score lost there. The first full loss was during loss control and the second full loss finally nailed me yesterday. The weirdest successful defense was someone who never engaged me, but still played. They spent two turns setting up to have their F!F!Corrin get Smited in, only to forfeit. Not really sure why. Didn't see any oddball skills that would indicate that they forgot to reassign a crucial skill; nor did Duma trash their Healing or Bolt Tower (I got their Catapult, woo!).

Sitting at a score of 13 520 with a rank of 516 as of this post.

Well, I managed to make tier 22 again, though Astra week is still worse for me than Light because Brave Ike is godly and he's my go-to for Light weeks. But Light week is next again, so we'll see how far I get with him this time!

Had a good Astra season after two straight bleh ones. No-death offense (at least, for the battles I didn’t Escape Ladder out of) and -37 on defense yielded a T27 finish. Alfonse & Sharena were really fun to use. Setting up one-hit Galeforce was pretty awesome.

The big surprise came from a L!Celica/Phina/Alfonse & Sharena team I that threw together because I had nothing better to put in the slot. I was resigned to the thought that I wouldn’t even touch that team, but ended up using them for more than half of the week’s matches.
~

@Landmaster

That first person almost gave me a heart attack, with Eir breaking that building below Alfonse almost straightaway. I thought they were going to leave her there (yes, I’m still traumatized by that Donnel user). I feel for the person who didn’t notice Windsweep on Raven...I actually got caught by that myself, once. Needless to say, I felt very silly afterward.

10 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

@Landmaster

That first person almost gave me a heart attack, with Eir breaking that building below Alfonse almost straightaway. I thought they were going to leave her there (yes, I’m still traumatized by that Donnel user). I feel for the person who didn’t notice Windsweep on Raven...I actually got caught by that myself, once. Needless to say, I felt very silly afterward.

I'm still confused by the guy who actually did just sacrifice his B!Fjorm for no reason. Yeah Windsweep does have its moments where I catch some Altinas off guard. Ideally I'd like to replace his whole kit with Sturdy Impact and Lunge, I only run Windsweep to assure I get Panic off on someone but I hate not doubling and wasting Silvia's Dance~

I had a couple of deaths today, including one on Brave Ike because of one of the most annoying unpredictable shenanigans you can find in defense maps (that being you put your tank into enemy range, only for an enemy to attack, survive, and use Lunge to swap your unit right onto a bolt trap so said unit is killed right after... >_>).

But Light week is still much better for me than Astra, even in tier 21 now. I've already almost made it to tier 23. I say again, praise Brave Ike! 😄 NY Alfonse + Sharena is really helpful too, because they're also a mixed tank and they trigger their special literally every attack because of Special Spiral!

Last week was pretty bad for me on offense, defense was still good. I lost all ladders early and lost a full match. Most matches were only 140 matches, because L!Leif was able to cheese most maps for me. Ended barely in tier 25, which I didn't expect after the bad start. 

Also this week only 140 matches, because I won't want to bless any of the bonus units. Defense started great, a success yesterday and one today so far. 

@Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi Congrats to your almost perfect season! 

I just hit T23 for the first time all on my own 😁 I wouldn't have been able to have the confidence and knowledge to be able to win matches at this level without the amazing guidance and help of @Maaka and a few others. This community is really great.
It also helps that Kronya, H!Hector, & NY!Alfonse is a great trifecta of units to have in your raiding party 😎

Hopefully in just a week or two I'll have my offensive fortress to Lv 5 and then I can start upgrading my defense so I can maybe get a few kills once in a while...? 🙄

I'm going to end this season in tier 25! I also should be able to get me bronze and silver thrones. ^^ Too bad I'm just missing out on a gold one, but at least I'm getting any thrones!

So, next time changes are added to AR, we should be allowed to level up our fortresses more or get new structures that use Heavenly Dew. After you level up both fortresses to the max, you have nothing to use that dew for and it just sits there building up and getting unused. I've got 5300 of it now and I can't use it. >_<

Edited by Anacybele

How did my rank drop from just over 3000 to just over 8,200 in one day when my lift has only been rising? That makes no sense. Is there a bug/glitch somewhere here? I really thought I was getting that silver throne. Now I'm stuck with an ugly bronze one that I don't want.

Edited by Anacybele

People typically save their Aether to go hard on last day or two (typically three doubled-down matches over both days), so there's a big burst in rank changes. At this point, there's a lot of people who own merged Light Mythics, so competition gets a little stiff. Pretty sure just hitting T27 isn't even a guaranteed top 1000 anymore. It's unsurprising that the other thrones are also inflating out accordingly.

For an example of how hard some of the whales are grinding up Lift, I finished at rank 224 last night before going to bed, but in less than 12 hours, I've dropped to 678. I'll probably end up in the 850 range before the season closes out. This is with 13 550 Lift. I guess this also makes me a demonstration of merged Mythics at work, as while I scored about as good offensively as in Astra (no deaths, but 1 Ladder used this time), my defense took a hit of -74 overall. That's nearly twice as bad as my Astra defense, but since I've got a merged Eir and a merged Yune, I actually scored a touch higher (13 520 was my end Lift last season).

12 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

How did my rank drop from just over 3000 to just over 8,200 in one day when my lift has only been rising? That makes no sense. Is there a bug/glitch somewhere here? I really thought I was getting that silver throne. Now I'm stuck with an ugly bronze one that I don't want.

Players try to have a low rank as much as possible so they get matched with easy teams. On the last day, they have to use up all their Aether, but that is okay, since they have already built up a list of easy players to retaliate against via defense battles so they do not have to risk facing super hard teams.

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Let me guess, you used all your aether as soon as possible, so today you couldn’t do more than two or three matches. 

Almost all people in T21 and above use the least amount of lift each day, so most have four or even five matches to go through on the last day. That is at least 640 to 800 minimum lift for them whereas you get maybe 320. 

So yeah, thousands of people will surpass you on the last day. It’s the most efficient and safe way to play AR.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Players try to have a low rank as much as possible so they get matched with easy teams. On the last day, they have to use up all their Aether, but that is okay, since they have already built up a list of easy players to retaliate against via defense battles so they do not have to risk facing super hard teams.

3 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Let me guess, you used all your aether as soon as possible, so today you couldn’t do more than two or three matches. 

Almost all people in T21 and above use the least amount of lift each day, so most have four or even five matches to go through on the last day. That is at least 640 to 800 minimum lift for them whereas you get maybe 320. 

So yeah, thousands of people will surpass you on the last day. It’s the most efficient and safe way to play AR.

Um... I'm still confused. What's the difference between using a lot of Aether on Tuesday and using a lot on the next Monday? Even if you win all the matches without losing a unit, you're still gaining the exact same amount of lift that you would have if you'd done so on a different day. The amount of Aether you'd have to use on either day doesn't differ. You still start with 250 max when a new season begins and if you don't use it until Monday, you still have 250 Aether then.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um... I'm still confused. What's the difference between using a lot of Aether on Tuesday and using a lot on the next Monday? Even if you win all the matches without losing a unit, you're still gaining the exact same amount of lift that you would have if you'd done so on a different day. The amount of Aether you'd have to use on either day doesn't differ. You still start with 250 max when a new season begins and if you don't use it until Monday, you still have 250 Aether then.

The idea is that if you don't spend too much early you will be in a lower tier and get paired up with people with weaker teams and you will also have easier rematches. A few days ago I got paired with someone with all +10 and premium skill units so I had to hard forfeit.