Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Um... I'm confused. What's the difference between using a lot of Aether on Tuesday and using a lot on the next Monday? Even if you win all the matches without losing a unit, you're still gaining the exact same amount of lift that you would have if you'd done so on a different day. The amount of Aether you'd have to use on either day doesn't differ. You still start with 250 max when a new season begins and if you don't use it until Monday, you still have 250 Aether then.

If you use a lot of Lift on Tuesday and win a lot, you get matched with harder defense teams throughout the rest of the week because your Tier went up much higher than most players, so you get matched with higher Tier players too.

If you try to keep a low profile and just do the bare minimum everyday, you get matched with easier and lower Tier defense teams since your Tier is also lower. On the last day, it does not really matter how high you rank since you can just rematch against easier players when you look through your defense battles.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To clarify here, yes, it's still the same amount of Aether spent over time, so long as you take pains to use just enough to not cap out at the start of the week. People spending a lot now is still going to represent a large shift in ranks, however.

People waiting are carefully engineering their odds of maximum Lift to be the maximum amount possible, with no offensive losses. Unless you've been playing exactly as well all week and have the Mythics at the same merges to score the same as them, they're going to pass you and pass you fast. Using myself as an example, I gained 984 Lift (three matches doubled down to 328 Lift and then played with no deaths) between Sunday and today. Unless you can keep up with that, you're going to see a rank drop.

Well, this is still rather confusing, but I think I kind of get it now. Not you guys' fault I'm confused, don't worry. It's just a lot to wrap my head around. Thanks though.

I've been doing it that way for a while, but since the double-point matches came in, I always use that when possible. Now I'm wondering if I should mix it up with some single matches. Just doing the math:

Week starts with 250 aether, so double match down to 170 aether.
Tuesday goes up to 240 aether, here we can do a double match down to 150 aether.
Wednesday is up to 220, now it's better to single down to 180 aether.
Thursday goes to 250 aether, again doing a double down to 170.
Friday up to 240, double to 150.
Saturday starts with 220 aether, single to 180.
Sunday up to 250, double to 170.
Monday starts on 240 and you can do two double matches and one single match.

All that is considering you break all the pots everytime. 
What I was thinking to consider between double or single match is that, since we get back 70 aether on each day, it's best to stay as close as possible to 180, but not a single point above it. That give's you the best use of aether while always minimizing your lift gain through the week and letting you get the biggest chunk on the last days.

Do you guys always go double matches or you do it that way?

43 minutes ago, Rinco said:

What I was thinking to consider between double or single match is that, since we get back 70 aether on each day, it's best to stay as close as possible to 180, but not a single point above it.

I don't think the benefits of keeping your Lift low are significant enough that doing single matches specifically for that purpose are ever really worth it.

Between getting potentially easier matches and having fewer matches overall and therefore fewer chances to get bad maps and fewer chances to totally fuck up, I'd choose having fewer matches overall.

If I have ladders available, I'll always run double matches. If i don't have ladders available, I'll go for single matches unless either I'm feeling lucky or I've given up for the week.

Edited by Ice Dragon

I've never run out of ladders, but I'd still be doing double matches no matter what. I'd rather commit to a potentially bad score than spend more time running offense.

Nice! I got my first bronze throne today and finished in T25! I was only 6 lift away from T26 though 😫

This comes after hitting T21 for the first time on the last day of Astra season a week ago. And, this is with a constant fortress disadvantage as I'm only level 4. I had some great coaching help, but I'm excited for the coming few weeks when I can finally get my (O) Fortress at 5 and start working on my (D) Fortress so I can start building my defense team a bit more seriously. AR is really the only worthwhile mode to play in this game as it's always different. I hope they can add another good PvP mode that isn't a variation on Arena. 

Now to switch summoner support from Kronya to Sothe, and grind some TT maps as quicky as possible before tomorrow, lol 

10 hours ago, Landmaster said:

You really recorded this without sound or animations, SMH

Yeah, sorry about that. Animations would have made this video 1 hour long and I can't record sound on my Android phone. Audio recording works on my PC where I emulate heroes (to record clears in the past and HM farming), but it was the last day of the season and I didn't want to update everything. 

Hope you enjoyed it anyway. 

Yesterday I got a success (that didn't count) where my team killed all foes in one turn without losing a unit. I could record that one with animations if you like. ;- )

/edit: Just for you, @Landmaster

Edited by mampfoid

5 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Yeah, sorry about that. Animations would have made this video 1 hour long and I can't record sound on my Android phone. Audio recording works on my PC where I emulate heroes (to record clears in the past and HM farming), but it was the last day of the season and I didn't want to update everything. 

Hope you enjoyed it anyway. 

Yesterday I got a success (that didn't count) where my team killed all foes in one turn without losing a unit. I could record that one with animations if you like. ;- )

/edit: Just for you, @Landmaster

It's impossible for you to not one-turn, even in your Defenses~ Pretty Legendary~

I thought tier 21 was supposed to be less stressful? Because I'm not finding this to be the case at all. During Light weeks I'm obviously fine.

But I still can hardly do anything during Astra week. I've not won a single match at all right now. I'm about to drop back to fucking tier 20. God I still fucking hate this mode.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

You said you have NY!Alfonse, right? Even without bonus stats, I find my +0 still quite easily sweeps a lot of defenses. Helps that he doesn't care about Hardy Bearing (though he does have to watch out for uncounterable attacks). Bolt Tower support may also be required against some greens.

He doesn't have an Astra blessing. He's Light blessed. He and Brave Ike together wipe the floor with a lot of teams during Light weeks.

I just don't have an equally handy unit or pair of units for Astra weeks. I thought Christmas Sothis would be good, but she hasn't been very helpful at all. Not even when I slap seals like Distant Def on her. She still gets killed easily, as does everyone else I try to use during Astra weeks.

Edited by Anacybele

If your Lift is in such a dire situation, you might need to consider changing Alfonse's blessing so he can carry Astra for you until you can find a replacement.

What's giving your W!Sothis issues? She should be fairly tanky with high defenses and Sirius on every attack giving her prolonged sustain. Which support units are backing her up?

13 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

If your Lift is in such a dire situation, you might need to consider changing Alfonse's blessing so he can carry Astra for you until you can find a replacement.

What's giving your W!Sothis issues? She should be fairly tanky with high defenses and Sirius on every attack giving her prolonged sustain. Which support units are backing her up?

At least one refresher, units with buffing skills or seals, that kind of thing. But she's still overwhelmed and killed.

Sometimes Altina's Vantage doesn't activate even when she's got low enough HP. This is probably a bug. It's happened against several different units and not all of them should be able to prevent Vantage from triggering.

Okay, what typically overwhelms her, though? A +0 on her own should have 46 Spd, 35 Def and 40 Res before even accounting for Mythics or Tactics buffs. Do you have Atk Smoke on her? If you put Res Smoke in her C and Atk Smoke in her Seal, her durability should go up drastically. Add NY!Eir support to make things even nastier for the enemy.

There's an increasingly large number of uncounterable and Hardy Bearing abilities. For Hardy Bearing, there's the Seal and five different daggers. Firesweep is also an issue. Dazzling Staves as well. Altina and her trash Spd is also extremely vulnerable to Windsweep. Some defenses just really hate Vantage and they put in 3-4 countermeasures.

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

At least one refresher, units with buffing skills or seals, that kind of thing. But she's still overwhelmed and killed.

Sometimes Altina's Vantage doesn't activate even when she's got low enough HP. This is probably a bug. It's happened against several different units and not all of them should be able to prevent Vantage from triggering.

What's her IV? Is she getting Panicked? I run my W!Sothis with M!Corrin Support and she can usually get the job done.but her HP is low. I usually Summoner Support mine~

You must have overlooked something in the Skills, or her  HP wasn't low enough. The Hoshidian Summer Daggers all have Hardy Bearing, as does Dragonslasher.. Windsweep will also stop  her from being able to counterattack. 

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

4 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

There's an increasingly large number of uncounterable and Hardy Bearing abilities. For Hardy Bearing, there's the Seal and five different daggers. Firesweep is also an issue. Dazzling Staves as well. Altina and her trash Spd is also extremely vulnerable to Windsweep. Some defenses just really hate Vantage and they put in 3-4 countermeasures.

Yeah, I occasionally see some defense teams running 3 or 4 units that can shut down Counter-Vantage strategies. But generally from what I have seen, most maps just run 2. Just make sure to double check the defense teams' skill sets before you use Counter-Vantage.

Just now, Landmaster said:

You must have overlooked something in the Skills, or her  HP wasn't low enough. The Hoshidian Summer Daggers all have Hardy Bearing, as does Dragonslasher.. Windsweep will also stop  her from being able to counterattack. 

Is Windsweep common? I think I maybe saw it once, but that was pretty much it.

Okay, what typically overwhelms her, though? A +0 on her own should have 46 Spd, 35 Def and 40 Res before even accounting for Mythics or Tactics buffs. Do you have Atk Smoke on her? If you put Res Smoke in her C and Atk Smoke in her Seal, her durability should go up drastically. Add NY!Eir support to make things even nastier for the enemy.

I don't remember exactly every unit she went against. It was a lot of battles. I wish I could remember though. I don't think I have any smoke skills on her. I gave her Distant Def seal.

That would explain it. I have to use Altina though, she's an Astra mythic.

14 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Make sure you have teams that focus on visible buffs but also teams that do not use visible buffs. Panic is so common and your Sothis could very easily get -12 or -13 to all stats by being panicked and debuffed. Most people have their shrines at max lvl so your sothis will most likely attract all chills since I don’t expect you to build your team around supporting Sothis with units that soak chills for her. Then, if you buff her with L!Azura for example, she gets +6 to all stats (or 7 if using a hone 4) which will most likely turn to panic since you’re not looking out for those things. That means her 46 speed turns to 34, 35 def becomes 23 and 40 def is now a measly 28. That’s a paper bag sothis. (Took the stats from a previous reply, don’t know if that took in consideration the in combat buffs sothis gets, but the point stands.)

Also it is impossible for just your game to have vantage not work. The patch applies to all devices and everyone plays with the same game code. If vantage was buggy it would be mentioned by everyone here that uses CC vantage, you’re not the magical snowflake that has the possessed game trying to actively hurt you. You just didn’t look at skills and placed her in range of a firesweep, windsweep, dazzling, hardy bearing user or someone like B!lyn who has a personal sweep skill.

9 hours ago, Landmaster said:

What's her IV? Is she getting Panicked? I run my W!Sothis with M!Corrin Support and she can usually get the job done.but her HP is low. I usually Summoner Support mine~

Ana promoted a Corrin, then i believe feathered him because he wasn’t helping B!Ike become more tanky and blamed us. Turned out she didn’t ally support them and blamed us for not telling her which was a blatant lie. It is a great read only a few pages back.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah, I occasionally see some defense teams running 3 or 4 units that can shut down Counter-Vantage strategies. But generally from what I have seen, most maps just run 2. Just make sure to double check the defense teams' skill sets before you use Counter-Vantage.

Is Windsweep common? I think I maybe saw it once, but that was pretty much it.

Two seems the norm indeed, hardy bearing is pretty much the norm for one unit. I see mostly more on things like cav line. IP teams usually have pseudo HB units like Kagero, who, even though she does not use HB that often, has the 50% dmg reduction on engage. So when she attacks into a vantage unit, she usually survives and then attacks herself anyway.

15 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I thought tier 21 was supposed to be less stressful? Because I'm not finding this to be the case at all. During Light weeks I'm obviously fine.

But I still can hardly do anything during Astra week. I've not won a single match at all right now. I'm about to drop back to fucking tier 20. God I still fucking hate this mode.

It objectively is easier. T20 to T21 is 1600 lift gain needed + having to make up for lift loss on defense, which could be -80 every day.

Maintaining T21 is literally only compensating for -80 (or less if using def mythics + blessed units) every day. That is it, no need to gain 1600 extra lift. Getting higher is a bonus, but not doing so will just let you stay in T21. 

So yeah, it is objectively a lot less stressful than having to battle from 20 to 21.

wow... Hawkeye is a champ! I had to tank Thrasir with him, and he destroyed her!!!

17 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That's impossible. Or foes had a way to cancels Altina's vantage, or she was not in vantage mode.

For example, my Altina needs to have 31 HP to trigger Vantage, and today I had a case of reaching 32 HP after a 10 damage bolt trap.

I believe you are not paying attention to yours Altina's HP or foe's skills, because there is no bug.

3 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Ana promoted a Corrin, then i believe feathered him because he wasn’t helping B!Ike become more tanky and blamed us. Turned out she didn’t ally support them and blamed us for not telling her which was a blatant lie. It is a great read only a few pages back.

That was a cool story... Ana could change Corrin's blessing and make him support another hero instead, but nope! Feathers he is now.

"Divine Dew on Corrin was a waste", but sending him home was even more.