Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

6 hours ago, Benice said:

I get the vibe. I had three seasons in a row at T14/15 where I hadn't lost a defense map, then NY! Selkie showed up and on THREE SEPERATE OCCASIONS soloed my defense map without any damage. Even with a -4 to all stats and my units having +4 to all their stats.

Yeah, Renewed Spirit Selkie can catch people off guard. Her Weapon is pretty crazy because it does not sound crazy at first. I read the description and I am thinking "meh, no big deal," and then when I see it in action, I am like "What the hell just happened? My units died!" And that is just against Story Maps RS!Selkie.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

I'm probably gonna have ti replace L'Arachel with someone else son, since 47 speed just isn't enough to double everything anymore with Hecking Larcei destroying everything in sight. After I went to all of that trouble getting her life and death 4...

47 Spd is slow now. You want to break past 50. If you have Hone Cavalry buffs, she should not have trouble going above 50 Spd though.

If you want to double super tanks, I recommend trying to reach 60 Spd. Most super tanks can reach around 50 to 55 Spd.

If you want to stop Player Phase units from doubling your defense team, you are looking for at least 65 Spd. Larcei at max invest can reach 70 Spd with full Tactics. If you factor in Peony's Spd buff, Larcei can be anywhere from 74 to 88 Spd depending on how many Peonys there are and how she is lined up.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I had a nice match today. A team strong units like Thrasir, Igrene and Duo Marth... but no dancer and no Hardy Bearing.

Vantage Laevatein just killed every last one of them.

I have not taken my Queen of Múspell out for a spin in a while, but yeah, it is good feeling to just see her solo an entire team.

Meanwhile, I keep running into teams I cannot defeat due to the turn limit and that bullshit box-one-unit-in-a-corner-behind-obstacles tactic. The turn limit should still be increased (or removed, but that'll probably never happen, so just increased will do) and players should not be allowed to box units in the corner like that. It's cheap and very annoying. My own team(s) typically overwhelm them otherwise.

Edited by Anacybele

Teams that trap units in a corner have one less unit that will attack you once you get in range. They're actually easier to deal with because you have less units to worry about and then you can take the cornered unit on your own terms.
Seems like you just need better units to deal with the defending teams.

I play a Tank team using W!Cecilia on Astra and just yesterday I had a match with a cornered Caineghis. Cecilia has aweful mobility but the match wasn't a problem. Less units attacking her at once meant I could position my units better, she had less damage to worry about in each turn and, when I wiped out all the other 5, I just threw everyone at Cain and killed him.

I never had any issues with time limit in AR and I've been in T21 for a long time, also as F2P. You just need to understand the mode, what works, how the AI functions and how to best approach each defensive map (like, which turn do you commit to an attack, if you wait for Bolt Tower, if you buff your units or not, which way to approach, which tile to position each unit and so on).

30 minutes ago, Rinco said:

Teams that trap units in a corner have one less unit that will attack you once you get in range. They're actually easier to deal with because you have less units to worry about and then you can take the cornered unit on your own terms.
Seems like you just need better units to deal with the defending teams.

I play a Tank team using W!Cecilia on Astra and just yesterday I had a match with a cornered Caineghis. Cecilia has aweful mobility but the match wasn't a problem. Less units attacking her at once meant I could position my units better, she had less damage to worry about in each turn and, when I wiped out all the other 5, I just threw everyone at Cain and killed him.

I never had any issues with time limit in AR and I've been in T21 for a long time, also as F2P. You just need to understand the mode, what works, how the AI functions and how to best approach each defensive map (like, which turn do you commit to an attack, if you wait for Bolt Tower, if you buff your units or not, which way to approach, which tile to position each unit and so on).

I use a tank team too. For Light season, that's Brave Ike and NY Alfonse + Sharena. They've been able to handle nearly anything. Eir and Peony buff them and then the other slot is a bonus unit. For Astra, I have Christmas Sothis and Hawkeye as the tanks, and Altina can sometimes tank things too, but not quite as well. Naga is also on that team and then the last unit is a bonus unit. It's too bad I haven't been able to use a refresher on that team lately though.

Astra is where I struggle more still. Light season I don't have a lot of issues with anymore.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I use a tank team too. For Light season, that's Brave Ike and NY Alfonse + Sharena. They've been able to handle nearly anything. Eir and Peony buff them and then the other slot is a bonus unit. For Astra, I have Christmas Sothis and Hawkeye as the tanks, and Altina can sometimes tank things too, but not quite as well. Naga is also on that team and then the last unit is a bonus unit. It's too bad I haven't been able to use a refresher on that team lately though.

Astra is where I struggle more still. Light season I don't have a lot of issues with anymore.

Start to invest on a Brave Ike for Astra seasons then, since he helps you a lot in Light seasons.

17 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Start to invest on a Brave Ike for Astra seasons then, since he helps you a lot in Light seasons.

I'd rather not have two of the same unit cluttering my barracks. Even if it's a favorite character.

Just now, Anacybele said:

I'd rather not have two of the same unit cluttering my barracks. Even if it's a favorite character.

I wouldn't considerer it "cluttering", since it's only one extra slot and his utility makes the"cluttering" worthy.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Meanwhile, I keep running into teams I cannot defeat due to the turn limit and that bullshit box-one-unit-in-a-corner-behind-obstacles tactic. The turn limit should still be increased (or removed, but that'll probably never happen, so just increased will do) and players should not be allowed to box units in the corner like that. It's cheap and very annoying. My own team(s) typically overwhelm them otherwise.

your problem is your game understanding, unit building and playstyle, not the mode itself. 7 turns is fair and enough.

2 minutes ago, Hilda said:

your problem is your game understanding, unit building and playstyle, not the mode itself. 7 turns is fair and enough.

Hm... I never had problems with the turn limit...

The only times I lost because of turn limit were when I tried to get the pots as well. I had the victory right in front of me, but I was gluttonous and also tried to get the pots, which resulted in a loss.

Seven turns is a fair amount. It makes you act fast, and make the maps not too long... I know people that already takes more than 30 minutes in a map, imagine with more turns to play.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hm... I never had problems with the turn limit...

I've only timed out when using a EP team against a stall map, but that's just me being lazy. When taking this mode seriously, I would always build a PP team and use it when I see a map designed to stall you out. It's foolhardy to rely on one team for every kind of map instead of using a horses-for-courses approach.

4 hours ago, Baldrick said:

I've only timed out when using a EP team against a stall map, but that's just me being lazy. When taking this mode seriously, I would always build a PP team and use it when I see a map designed to stall you out. It's foolhardy to rely on one team for every kind of map instead of using a horses-for-courses approach.

Guess you could say I'm lazy then. I use Matthew/Aversa/Eirx3 for everything in light season and win 80% of the time. I will admit that the occasional Idunn can be problematic and certain compositions with firesweep/dazzling can be an issue, the biggest issue being Tibarn + dancers. But generally things are pretty cake.

Astra is a lot harder, I used a makeshift team and barely got by until I got NY!Alfonse and gave him an astra blessing. My strat with him uses bonus doubler and L!Azura so Panic Manor is a bigger presence but he gets by, though it's considerably harder. I'm pretty bad with Galeforce and meh with PP teams these days. Matthew has spoiled me at this point. Before him I'd use nothing but Nino and Bridelia in the old days.

On 3/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, Anacybele said:

There's nothing wrong with people who use Stall Teams/Trapped Characters to win Defense points. It's you who needs to adapt to those situations, not the game or the other players.

13 minutes ago, Jave said:

There's nothing wrong with people who use Stall Teams/Trapped Characters to win Defense points. It's you who needs to adapt to those situations, not the game or the other players.

Sorry, but I just can't agree.

As someone with a salt-inducing setup for AR defense, I like it when people come at me with stall maps. I find that there' many different way you can play out the map, rather than Reinhardt-happy maps which I find generally tirivial other than xray's evil setup. I should probably actually make seasonal teams, but eh, I don't have very many good units, legendary or otherwise. As long as I'm a casual player, I don't think I 'd change that. Unless I find more units I like

I might +10 Shanna soon, before working on more of a flying team? I was going for L'Arachel but haven't pulled one in months. 

But I do think it's fine if you dislike the time on Aether raids, I personally like it.

42 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sorry, but I just can't agree.

Well, there is nothing to be done about it.

You need to accept that players can build their team the way they want, the opponent liking it or not. IntSys will not change that.

Your team needs to be ready to deal with every type of defensive teams, including the ones with a unit trapped in the corner. They use this strategy because it work for them. It's not a cheat or an unfair strat. It's fair strat that is part of the game.

7 hours ago, Benice said:

which I find generally tirivial other than xray's evil setup

Is mine really that bad? I get around -200 Lift in losses per week. I usually win the first day on defense, but I usually lose on the second day and beyond.

I have also just updated my defense team. I replaced Reinhardt, BB!Cordelia, and VS!Azura with YT!Olivia, Thrasir, and Duma, so I think it should be easier now.

— — — — — — —

God damn it, fuck this week. I used up all my ladders just now and got a lost, so there is no chance for a Gold Throne. I even used Nils in a couple of matches.

I guess I will try in again in two weeks, and hopefully there is a decent bonus unit.

Edited by XRay

13,340 Lift. Almost could reach T21. But was a bit too short. -120 Lift loss on defense for this week which also was pretty good. But at least I know that I barely get there even with almost playing perfect on offensive DX. 

Ending at T25, just one match shy of T26. Could have potentially got it, but lost a couple too many Defense matches (and had that massive pepega early in the week where I had to take a 3 unit loss that I totally wanted to Surrender). Not the biggest deal, though. Overall my new Def team performed relatively well and only really lost to Leif (as always) and people running Light Season teams, so I'm satisfied~

Perfect defense this week
Perfect offense this week with the new free Altina for 140 teams (100 on the first day since we didn't receive her yet) at 13160, not bad for my first real Astra season with mythic-based teams. Before Altina I hovered at 12400s-12600 so I appreciate the grail boost.

Surprisingly even distribution for the teams I used, with 3 Kronya, 3 Ophelia, and 2 Eliwood-Velouria galeforce team usages.

T26 for the first time in Astra! Still a pain to go through with 2 melee mythics but at least I'll have a consistent grail income.

Great week for me, but I don't ever really have bad weeks in AR. Legendary Chrom is an AR beast and shut down everybody on both offense and defense.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:11 PM, Diovani Bressan said:

Well, there is nothing to be done about it.

You need to accept that players can build their team the way they want, the opponent liking it or not. IntSys will not change that.

Your team needs to be ready to deal with every type of defensive teams, including the ones with a unit trapped in the corner. They use this strategy because it work for them. It's not a cheat or an unfair strat. It's fair strat that is part of the game.

With the extra spare time available, I'm wondering if I should get back to working on that general AR Offense thread I had.