Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Hm... didn't you read the skill description? It says that relies on Spd for the damage reduction.

I said I noticed, so yes, I did...

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Close Call on Brave Ike was a horrible idea. I've lost almost every battle this season and at least partly because of crap like him Close Calling right onto a bolt trap or not being able to survive because Aether couldn't trigger (I had Special Spiral on him before).

Though I also still wish this mode didn't exist and we had better ways to earn divine codes. If we could just get a nicer mode to earn them in, I'd quit this rubbish forever.

Are you using double Peonys and BH!Lucina like in the video? Just as it is important to follow the build closely, you also need to follow the team composition closely as well, and remember to line up Peonys and BH!Lucina properly. It is important to follow the full instructions. Often times, following half the instructions is not going to give you half the intended results; building half a plane is not going to take you halfway around the world or into the air at all for example.

Double Peonys will give a permanent Spd+8 during battle, and proper positioning will add another Spd+6. BH!Lucina with double Drive Spd will add Spd+9. In total, that should be Spd+23. Phantom Spd boosts comparison Spd by +10, although you can use Darting Stance as well to boost real Spd by +6, although boosting his real Spd is not really necessary in my opinion. Neutral BH!Ike at +10+10 would have 34 Spd, and with Phantom Spd and team support, that should be 57 real Spd and 67 comparison Spd. If you are using Darting Stance, that would be 63 real and comparison Spd.

BH!Ike does not need to double in my opinion since he can just kill things with an Aether to the enemies' face. Avoiding doubles is not necessary in my opinion since damage coming from opponent's second hit is so negligibly low. Significantly faster enemies already hit like a wet noodle against BH!Ike, and slower enemies with guaranteed follow-up would feel like a breeze since their damage gets reduced even more.

Edited by XRay

14 minutes ago, XRay said:

Are you using double Peonys and BH!Lucina like in the video? Just as it is important to follow the build closely, you also need to follow the team composition closely as well, and remember to line up Peonys and BH!Lucina properly. It is important to follow the full instructions. Often times, following half the instructions is not going to give you half the intended results; building half a plane is not going to take you halfway around the world or into the air at all for example.

Double Peonys will give a permanent Spd+8 during battle, and proper positioning will add another Spd+6. BH!Lucina with double Drive Spd will add Spd+9. In total, that should be Spd+23. Phantom Spd boosts comparison Spd by +10, although you can use Darting Stance as well to boost real Spd by +6, although boosting his real Spd is not really necessary in my opinion. Neutral BH!Ike at +10+10 would have 34 Spd, and with Phantom Spd and team support, that should be 57 real Spd and 67 comparison Spd. If you are using Darting Stance, that would be 63 real and comparison Spd.

BH!Ike does not need to double in my opinion since he can just kill things with an Aether to the enemies' face. Avoiding doubles is not necessary in my opinion since damage coming from opponent's second hit is so negligibly low. Significantly faster enemies already hit like a wet noodle against BH!Ike, and slower enemies with guaranteed follow-up would feel like a breeze since their damage gets reduced even more.

Did you forget I don't have two Peonys? So no. And I use Brave Lucina in Astra weeks, not Light. I'm pretty sure I can use other team setups than this, there can't just only be one that can keep my score high consistently.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Did you forget I don't have two Peonys? So no. And I use Brave Lucina in Astra weeks, not Light. I'm pretty sure I can use other team setups than this, there can't just only be one that can keep my score high consistently.

You still need to remember to follow all the instructions before judging a unit or team composition. Some instructions have very little to no leeway for variation if you want to get the intended results. It would be like saying a cake does not taste good when the cake has not even been baked yet, or if you deviate too much from the baking temperature according to the recipe and the cake does not come out right. It is not right to judge something as ineffective if the thing you are trying to judge does match what is supposed to be judged.

If you do not have a second Peony, you can use Mila, but she only provides Spd+2 compared to Peony's Spd+7, and losing 5 Spd is kind of a big deal so it will impact his performance. You can also run Chill Spd, but Chill Spd only works against the fastest enemy unit. You can also run Spd Tactic on another teammate to provide Spd+6, but running bonus buffs is risky due to Panic.

I do not think activating Aether frequently is as important as getting the Spd buffs, so you can run M!Corrin instead of BH!Lucina if you have rebuilt him. Since BH!Ike would not be activating Aether as frequently though, he will be less effective with M!Corrin compared to with BH!Lucina.

Edited by XRay

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

You still need to remember to follow all the instructions before judging a unit or team composition. Some instructions have very little to no leeway for variation if you want to get the intended results. It would be like saying a cake does not taste good when the cake has not even been baked yet, or if you deviate too much from the baking temperature according to the recipe and the cake does not come out right. It is not right to judge something as ineffective if the thing you are trying to judge does match what is supposed to be judged.

If you do not have a second Peony, you can use Mila, but she only provides Spd+2 compared to Peony's Spd+7, and losing 5 Spd is kind of a big deal so it will impact his performance. You can also run Chill Spd, but Chill Spd only works against the fastest enemy unit. You can also run Spd Tactic on another teammate to provide Spd+6, but running bonus buffs is risky due to Panic.

I do not think activating Aether frequently is as important as getting the Spd buffs, so you can run M!Corrin instead of BH!Lucina if you have rebuilt him. Since BH!Ike would not be activating Aether as frequently though, he will be less effective with M!Corrin compared to with BH!Lucina.

I'm not judging any team compositions. All I'm saying is that I had better results when Brave Ike was using Special Spiral instead.

Also... Activating Aether frequently is not important, but he'd be less useful if he didn't activate it frequently? This is just contradictory.

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also... Activating Aether frequently is not important, but he'd be less useful if he didn't activate it frequently? This is just contradictory.

Activating Aether helps, but it is not necessary if you have Healing Tower (O), Eir, or some other healer. BH!Ike takes so little damage against most enemies that he does not need much healing between rounds of combat in a single turn, however, he still needs some healing between turns though. Multiple rounds of combat in a single turn can still take a significant chunk of his HP away when you add up all the little damages.

Aether is recommended since he will almost always activate Aether when paired with BH!Lucina, so there is no point in going with a lower cooldown Special. Without BH!Lucina, BH!Ike will activate Aether much less frequently, although I think it should still be enough against most defense teams. I sometimes separate BH!Lucina from BH!Ike because it is too risky for BH!Lucina to be near the front lines, so I just rely on Peony's Spd buffs in the back, and BH!Ike still turned out pretty okay in most cases.

Edited by XRay

Missed out on tier 27 by the slimmest of margins this week...and in such a stupid way.

Only my opponents' Mirabilis and Silvia remained, which should have been free.  Took out Silvia, and all that remained was Mira on a defense tile. My 20 hp Gangrel (on the adjacent Def tile) had tanked her on the previous turn for 7 damage, and the idea was to lure her off with a lower defense unit to safely dispatch her on the final turn.  Even if she didn't move, two rounds from Ishtar and Gangrel getting his Glacies charged again would have been enough.  I foolishly put someone next to Gangrel forgetting about her Def Sabotage, and the penalty added even more def debuffs thanks to her weapon.  An exact 20 damage kill, leaving me 20 pts short.

I'm so annoyed right now.

Edited by DLNarshen

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Activating Aether helps, but it is not necessary if you have Healing Tower (O), Eir, or some other healer. BH!Ike takes so little damage against most enemies that he does not need much healing between rounds of combat in a single turn, however, he still needs some healing between turns though. Multiple rounds of combat in a single turn can still take a significant chunk of his HP away when you add up all the little damages.

Aether is recommended since he will almost always activate Aether when paired with BH!Lucina, so there is no point in going with a lower cooldown Special. Without BH!Lucina, BH!Ike will activate Aether much less frequently, although I think it should still be enough against most defense teams. I sometimes separate BH!Lucina from BH!Ike because it is too risky for BH!Lucina to be near the front lines, so I just rely on Peony's Spd buffs in the back, and BH!Ike still turned out pretty okay in most cases.

Brave Ike can't always be positioned in range of Eir or the healing tower. Especially Eir because she's vulnerable at the front lines and especially vulnerable to those annoying teams that spam WoM warping and refreshing.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Brave Ike can't always be positioned in range of Eir or the healing tower. Especially Eir because she's vulnerable at the front lines and especially vulnerable to those annoying teams that spam WoM warping and refreshing.

Eir can heal regardless of distance. She heals the unit with the most damage suffered, which is usually the super tank or BH!Ike in this case.

If you often send BH!Ike deep into the defense team's territory and you need something stronger than Eir's Sparkling Boost, I recommend bringing a Physic staff unit. You can also run Chill Spd on the staff unit to help BH!Ike out against fast foes.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Eir can heal regardless of distance. She heals the unit with the most damage suffered, which is usually the super tank or BH!Ike in this case.

If you often send BH!Ike deep into the defense team's territory and you need something stronger than Eir's Sparkling Boost, I recommend bringing a Physic staff unit. You can also run Chill Spd on the staff unit to help BH!Ike out against fast foes.

True, but he can still be out of range of the healing tower. And yes, I sometimes send him deep so he can park his butt on a defense tile and just have at it and sometimes I send him deep to quickly take care of a unit that would otherwise be very problematic, like Ophelia or Bramimond. So he might still take a lot of damage and not be able to heal much unless he can spam Aether.

Okay. I do have Bride Fjorm now too, she can also shut down refreshing-reliant teams. I just need to decide what unit to replace with her on the team...

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay. I do have Bride Fjorm now too, she can also shut down refreshing-reliant teams. I just need to decide what unit to replace with her on the team...

That is the hard part since that is mostly uncharted territory. If it still does not work, I would just go back to Special Spiral since you are more acquainted with that skill. You can switch to Close Call again when you have another Peony and BH!Lucina in the future.

Just now, XRay said:

That is the hard part since that is mostly uncharted territory. If it still does not work, I would just go back to Special Spiral since you are more acquainted with that skill. You can switch to Close Call again when you have another Peony and BH!Lucina in the future.

Yeah. I would recommend it as well. If Ana doesn't have teh way to make the proper Close Call Brave Ike team to work, just go back to what used to be.

Not having double Peony and Brave Lucina is basically like using Kronya without Savage Blow and Bolt Tower. Not good at all.

Perfect Defense week with no Lift Loss, only one Failure~ This is a first for the Roy-Eliwood team~ Many Fjorms and B!Ikes were harmed in the making of this~

(The first couple replays are from a couple weeks ago)

Ended in T26 because I didn't use a Bonus Unit this week~

Huh, somehow snuck into Silver Throne territory after realising mid-week that Mila prevents dances and switching Eliwood for her, turning my 260-point matches into 322-point ones. And by snuck in, I really mean it: ranked 5954/6000. Still not defending at all so it's the best I can reasonably achieve.

No ladders left, perfect defense week, at 13174 lift. Gotta win tomorrow and T27 will be mine again.

If anyone is interested in sharing teams, I am willing. I’d like to know what kind of team setups everyone has.

On 7/5/2020 at 12:01 PM, Vicious Sal said:

If anyone is interested in sharing teams, I am willing. I’d like to know what kind of team setups everyone has.

Sure, why not.

Light:

Spoiler

uu20nF3.jpg

A mixed phase team, and one of my two most-used setups for Light. Caeda & Azura have Galeforce, but Caeda also runs DC/Pulse Smoke to do Enemy Phase things. Azura’s running Slaying Lance+ (Res) and Fury 3, which lets her eat Chills & Shrines instead of Caeda. Eventually I’d like to get Lofty Blossoms+ & Fury 4 for Azura, I have a Lysithea waiting in the wings for Time’s Pulse already.

A0xSUF4.jpg

A 2-tank team that I affectionately refer to as “the Dragon Wagon”, and the other most-used setup for Light...I suspect that I use this more than the Caeda team. Its operation is pretty self-explanatory, I think. Idunn usually does most of the work, and Nagi covers annoying Blues and Bramimond, because Idunn has 37 Spd after Peony’s blessing bonus.

FYqdAFD.jpg

I don’t really know what I’m doing with this slot, so I just threw this together. I’m thinking about putting Galeforce Raven in here, mostly to prevent Larcei from taking offensive Chills and Shrines.

I might swap out Larcei for Mareeta, whose sword says no to Impact skills and Bramimond.

fTMXyel.jpg

Hit-and-run Player Phase setup. Obligatory Isolation support to limit or prevent range extension. It also messes with Restore traps nicely. I might replace Fjorm with Mila if I ever get one. In not-Water season, Brave Lyn is used instead of Leif.

wIVVb4Q.jpg

Dedicated 2-range tank team. I used to use this all the time, but it’s dropped off a lot since I started caring about bonus units. Faye runs Spd-stack + Null Follow-Up. She’s no Norne, but I already had Faye well before Norne existed, so, *shrug*. Nanna’s using a Witchy Wand set, and is actually filling in for Elise while the latter is on my ongoing Dark defense team experiment.

Astra:

Spoiler

kVcxist.jpg

Team Fire Lord. Ephraim in the Bonus Rotation made me try this, and I have absolutely no regrets. Edelgard runs Brave Axe+, Galeforce, and Quickened Pulse. The idea is that between Edelgard and Ephraim, the team can take down 5 enemies and leave someone non-threatening alive so I can go grab the Aether Structures. Trying to break buildings is rough, but it’s so much fun to use. Usually this slot is occupied by a team using Fallen Lyon for 2-range tanking.

yym6EVc.jpg

Standard Duo Alfonse team. Pulse Smoke doesn’t grow on trees, so Nils’ Even Pulse Tie works well enough in its stead (no Wings of Mercy kind of hurts, though).

eiPuRBw.jpg

Dragon Wagon redux. Sothis was originally in Light, but moved to Astra once I got Nagi, because Bramimond is evil and Naga eats Chill Spd and Bright Shrine. Unlike the Light Season variant, Idunn is mostly relegated to a support role here; Sirius is just too good.

8Z1rPVO.jpg

Vantage tanking, with Altina as the main fighter. Someday I’ll actually switch Lucina’s Ally Support to her... Forrest runs Melancholy+ (D) and Earthfire Balm+ (thanks pitybreaker Silque!), along with Restore+ (to reliably get Earthfire Balm up), Sabotage Atk, and Savage Blow (to get rid of Armored Boots).

hlD4HcG.jpg

A performance-focused Brunnya team that I haven’t used yet. This team’s existence is the reason I felt comfortable with displacing the Lyon team this season. Duo Micaiah remains on the team because she’s just that good, running Deflect Magic as a soft-check to Reinhardt and Thrasir if I need one. It would probably be nice against Cav Lines that aren’t too bow-heavy, now that I think about it.

The Light teams are better, imo, with more play style options and versatility. Mythic supports definitely help in that department. I’ll have to see what I can do about the Astra teams going forward.

Pretty easy T27 this week

YmNXV7r.jpg

I would have recorded the matches but they just weren't interesting. Most of them had half-assed built units and even yesterday's pretty cool team went down pretty easily. Itsuki just too stronk.

2 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I didn't expect it this morning: TACHO attacked me today... and lost.

RIP Tacho, he should have had Lucina in Mila's spot~ 

3 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

RIP Tacho, he should have had Lucina in Mila's spot~ 

RIP Tacho, and I agree. What's the point of a Lucina in the backline. I guess he didn't want to wait another turn because of the Bolt Tower.

Going out on a high note - this week I think is the last week I expect to ever put in maximal effort into AR offense. Starting next week I'm winding down my commitments and will start abusing the auto-dispatch function to just maintain T21, so it's sort of goodbye to the mode I guess. But it was a good week, with a very high-scoring team (322 a pop) and winning all my fights with no disastapieces.

Even then I still fall short of T27 of course, but it's surprisingly close at just 94 points short. I can't beat that score without whaling for Mythics or forming an actual defense team so I think I've picked the right moment to "retire" - with a sub-5000 rank and a third and final silver throne.