Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

6 hours ago, XRay said:

I tried to use my double Save tank team too, but my Líf: Undying Duo still took out a ton of HP from my Henriette: Overflowing Love (and that is with THREE Flayns backing her up, along with a Dagr for a little bit of extra stats and scoring, got Crafty Fighter to stop Specials, and it was during the wrong season for defense so the second Nótt is not there), so she was not able to survive Reinhardt.

I gave up on using my Ike: Brave Mercenary since he dies immediately.

I am just at a loss of what to do. I can use my Galeforce team, but I am really rusty with using a player phase team in Aether Raids, and it is going to take some time and effort to clean up my Aether Raids game so I do not play as sloppy as I do in Abyssal and Arena.

I do not care about defense losses too much since my main objective is to stay in Vault of Heaven rather than ranking for Thrones. Right now, I can stay in the Vault even if I take massive defense losses. However, the ability to take massive losses is only possible if I win consistently on offense (and they do not have to be perfect wins either). My offensive performance has been slipping, and on some weeks it is so bad that I used up all my Ladders and I cannot secure enough offensive wins to stay. I am just not sure how to successfully tackle teams like my defense team, and beat them consistently.

Lif is definitely one of the units you just have to avoid allowing to attack at all, it feels like. My inclination with my own teams is to use Isolation on Triandra and have everyone hide except Cecilia, who kills Reinhardt, then have Lyn blow up a bunch of them on the second turn. I can add you later today to see if that actually works.

This is reliant on one of the side attackers being someone survivable. I don't have any ideas for dealing with a second threatening one like Sigurd or another Lif. For a team like that, I'd also add more structures to the sixth row to mess up player phase teams. (Sigurd can't attack through structures, but I feel like he just needs to threaten the one column Lif can't hit.)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Othin said:

Lif is definitely one of the units you just have to avoid allowing to attack at all, it feels like. My inclination with my own teams is to use Isolation on Triandra and have everyone hide except Cecilia, who kills Reinhardt, then have Lyn blow up a bunch of them on the second turn. I can add you later today to see if that actually works.

This is reliant on one of the side attackers being someone survivable. I don't have any ideas for dealing with a second threatening one like Sigurd or another Lif. For a team like that, I'd also add more structures to the sixth row to mess up player phase teams. (Sigurd can't attack through structures, but I feel like he just needs to threaten the one column Lif can't hit.)

Wow! That worked! I shut Triandra down with Fjorm: Bride of Rime so he could not reach me, and the Thunder cavalry suicided on me. Reinhardt took out a huge chunk of HP too, but at least I could survive and heal back up and deal with Líf: Undying Duo later.

I could not get the Aether Structures though, so that might cause me to drop out if I do not have not Lift to play an extra full match, but if my defense team holds up, then I might be able to get by without the final match.

If I replace Mia: Harmonic Blades with a Flash cavalry with Odd Recovery, that might screw me over though. I think I will just leave my defense team as is for now since I still need her to help keep Duo's Indulgence (D) up incase Líf: Undying Duo falls.

Edited by XRay

9 hours ago, XRay said:

I tried to use my double Save tank team too, but my Líf: Undying Duo still took out a ton of HP from my Henriette: Overflowing Love (and that is with THREE Flayns backing her up, along with a Dagr for a little bit of extra stats and scoring, got Crafty Fighter to stop Specials, and it was during the wrong season for defense so the second Nótt is not there), so she was not able to survive Reinhardt.

That’s…weird. Here’s what I get:

Spoiler

Looking at that, I wonder if I’d get more out of Tannenbaton than Caduceus Staff. I guess it’s a bit moot since I don’t actually have anyone with Tannenbaton.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

I am just at a loss of what to do. I can use my Galeforce team, but I am really rusty with using a player phase team in Aether Raids, and it is going to take some time and effort to clean up my Aether Raids game so I do not play as sloppy as I do in Abyssal and Arena.

I do not care about defense losses too much since my main objective is to stay in Vault of Heaven rather than ranking for Thrones. Right now, I can stay in the Vault even if I take massive defense losses. However, the ability to take massive losses is only possible if I win consistently on offense (and they do not have to be perfect wins either). My offensive performance has been slipping, and on some weeks it is so bad that I used up all my Ladders and I cannot secure enough offensive wins to stay. I am just not sure how to successfully tackle teams like my defense team, and beat them consistently.

When you say “teams like my defense team”, does that just mean “maps with Nott and 2-range cavalry”? My personal preference is to initiate on Turn 1, if possible, because I don’t have to worry about how the enemies are going to move if most of them are dead. I usually don’t set foot in a map until I’ve planned through the first enemy phase of AI aggression, so I find that player phase strategies tend to take less effort. I think the only thing that would make me immediately pass on trying to find a player phase solution is a Far Save armor. Odd Recovery healers would give me pause, but I’d still try to see if I could work something out.

So far, I’ve found that my team built around Elise: Budding Flower to be useful against these maps, taking out any Notts and Odd Recovery units, and isolating or baiting refreshers. That was one of the more niche strategies I mentioned in my first reply.

10 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

That’s…weird. Here’s what I get:

I tried to face my defense team on both Light and Dark. I did not stand a chance on Light, so I tried in Dark to disable the extra Nótt and Mythic stats, but I still got floored if I do not Isolate Triandra. When I used my Save tank team, Líf: Undying Duo moved first, then Triandra let him attack Henriette: Overflowing Love, and then Reinhardt moves to finish her right after. My defense team did not mess around Rallying each other a lot, and they went straight after my offense team if they are in range to attack.

10 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

When you say “teams like my defense team”, does that just mean “maps with Nott and 2-range cavalry”? My personal preference is to initiate on Turn 1, if possible, because I don’t have to worry about how the enemies are going to move if most of them are dead. I usually don’t set foot in a map until I’ve planned through the first enemy phase of AI aggression, so I find that player phase strategies tend to take less effort. I think the only thing that would make me immediately pass on trying to find a player phase solution is a Far Save armor. Odd Recovery healers would give me pause, but I’d still try to see if I could work something out.

Yeah, mostly cav line maps featuring Nótt. My main issue with my Galeforce team is that I need knowledge of which Traps are real and which are not, and it is very difficult to test which ones are real while still being able to withdraw if I happen to step on the real one. If I step on the real Trap, that would basically end my run since I would not have enough actions left to kill and block units.

— — — — — — —

— — — — — — —

I made some minor changes to my old Save tank team and changed Atk/Def Form to Distant Def on Henriette: Overflowing Love and I also gave one of the Flayns Distant Guard, and that seems to do the trick. Líf: Undying Duo, Reinhardt, and Mia: Harmonic Blades still attacked her, but she barely made it out alive. However, she needs to have all three Flayns in range in order to tank them. If there are only two Flayns in range during any of the combat engagements in the first enemy phase turn, she will die.

Edited by XRay

@XRay sent you a friend request. I'll see what I can do about your defense.
I'll probably update mine this weekend, I don't think it's optimal the way it is, but feel free to check it out and send some feedback.

Out of all things, I got shut down by stupid fucking Save armors because I am fucking dumb. I thought Nótt was going to kick my ass with ranged cavalry, but I used up my last ladder and lost another match to dumb Save armors, because I was not paying attention the first time and was extra stupid the second time as I did not learn my lesson. I saw Nótt on both maps with choke points and I immediately sent in my super tank team. Then I realized the defense teams are actually a Save armor team and I did not bring my player phase team to deal with them, and they got stupid Fatal Smoke on one of their units to whittle my super tank down.

Edited by XRay

Well @XRay and anyone else, I changed my Dark team... probably for the best, but probably not the best for others. Any input would be appreciated.

BR2g9HMl.jpg?1

With two Notts and Brammimond, my non-mythic units are getting HP +15, Atk +3, and Def +10 compared to their normal values. The real traps are in front of Lif and Nott. Both are Lv5
I didn't bother removing positional assists. Just didn't seem necessary.

The team:

Spoiler

Nott (Neutral) : Hrimfaxi, Rally Def/Res, Dragon Fang, Distant Counter, Moon-Twin Wing, Atk/Spd Menace, Chill Spd
She's in the back because there flat-out wasn't room for anyone else, though with assistance from Dorothea she'll usually just teleport to whoever and use Rally anyway.

Nott (+HP -Spd): Hrimfaxi, Harsh Command+, Dragon Fang, Distant Counter, Moon-Twin Ring, Atk/Spd Menace, Chill Res
I had a Wedding Tanith lying around, so what the hell? Chill Res is since the majority of the team is made up of magic attackers. She is the "Bonus" unit, so she usually gets Danced by Dorothea immediately.

Plegian Dorothea: no weapon, Dance, Moonbow, Swift Impact, Wing of Mercy, Ground Orders, Aerobatics
Basically there to better enable the Nott in the backline. Otherwise a standard Dancer.

Brammimond (+2 merge): Void Tome, Pivot, Luna, Sturdy Impact, Lull Atk/Res, Impenetrable Dark, Mirror Impact
There to provide additional Atk to my units, plus he's just kinda mean to face.

Valentine Lif: Prf weapon, Reposition, Glimmer, Atk/Def Push 4, Lull Atk/Res, Fatal Smoke, Hardy Bearing
One of 3 ranged cav attackers. Hardy Bearing means Brave Ikes can't withstand him.

Elise (+10 merge): Elise's Staff (eff), Restore+, Miracle, Atk/Spd Solo, Dazzling Staff, Savage Blow, Atk/Spd Solo
Second ranged cav attacker, plus Restore+ shenanigans.

Resplendent Reinhardt (+10 merge, +4 Dragonflowers): Dire Thunder, Reposition, Luna, Death Blow 4, Lull Atk/Res, Fatal Smoke 1, Atk/Def Solo
...well Fatal Smoke still works like it needs to work, just... not as good as the full skill... but either way, ranged cav attacker 3.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

BR2g9HMl.jpg?1

Feels a bit safe for offense in my opinion. At least for players like me with an open back row, I would put Ike: Brave Mercenary and Lucina: Brave Princess where you put them, and then hide the three supports/Mythics in the back row. And as long as Ike: Brave Mercenary and Lucina: Brave Princess lives, I would keep playing despite losing a unit, so I would not mind risking my fourth support/Mythic and putting them where Peony is at. Líf: Undying Duo would still be a problem though, but depending on how he moves, I might sacrifice a unit to take him out if I have not lost a unit yet.

But for offense players with full back rows, the defense map seems pretty solid since there is only one hiding spot available. Seems pretty difficult to set up Galeforce due to all the stuff in the way. Super tanking is not an option due to no space to hide your units. A save tank team might work, but it seems hard to pull off.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:08 PM, Xenomata said:

I changed my Dark team... probably for the best, but probably not the best for others. Any input would be appreciated.

With two Notts and Brammimond, my non-mythic units are getting HP +15, Atk +3, and Def +10 compared to their normal values. The real traps are in front of Lif and Nott. Both are Lv5 I didn't bother removing positional assists. Just didn't seem necessary.

Oh!!! I remember mock-battling that one of yours when I was bored recently and trying out f!Edelgard!  (Either that or somebody had the exact same idea on my friends list, but given you're on it, it was probably you lol) That was tricky - f!Lyon had to bait Reinhardt and Ashera had to bait Elise to secure a win iirc, and I still got wrecked by duo!Byleth taking out at least two of mine.

In other news, just got my first (bronze) throne! \o/

20210621_193432.gif.7342505ab0cf21557c327f21e1f9e042.gif

Here's the defense that did it - subtract Nott, and you got the one that landed me in VoH. Not scary to anyone who knows what they're doing and has an anti-f!Edelgard counter on a team ready, but between Selena and a +9 Petrine, it's killed a few unwary f!Edelgards in turn lol.  The idea was a mix of using some of my favorite characters and what I dub a 'half-cavline'; windsweep Selena + Petrine with a potential for dancer support makes things surprisingly unpredictable as my front line of defense. Then a +10 Zihark with galeforce makes a surprisingly tanky next-line defense that tends to shred anyone that didn't check skills, and then f!Edelgard as the final line of defense just to make it annoying.

My next goal is to make a Daein-themed defense team (Ashnard, Petrine, Jill, Zihark, far-save BK - I hate mythics/legendaries) but that'll take some planning to make it as efficient as this one.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:55 PM, kradeelav said:

Oh!!! I remember mock-battling that one of yours when I was bored recently and trying out f!Edelgard!  (Either that or somebody had the exact same idea on my friends list, but given you're on it, it was probably you lol) That was tricky - f!Lyon had to bait Reinhardt and Ashera had to bait Elise to secure a win iirc, and I still got wrecked by duo!Byleth taking out at least two of mine.

Are you sure you battled me? At the time it should have still been my Anima team, plus I don't have Byleth on my new Dark team.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe that this defense is working so well:

GPJIn8Q.jpg

It says a lot when the best option for a defense team is to replace Thrasir with Nótt even if she's out of season.

There's still many improvements I can make to this team as I'm just testing the waters this week (got kicked out of VoH due to getting a bad streak facing only L!Sigurd teams), but so far I got 2 wins and 1 loss with 3 kills. 

Edited by Alexmender

• 3 weeks later...

So...  a team of LegClaude, Seiros, Thrasir, and 4 Hegemons fell. Here is a 101 on how NOT to make a Fallen Edelgard team:

~Do NOT leave out the Healing Tower.
~Maybe take in a healer too, or like Reyson/Leanne since they are dancers who have an AoE healing effect.
~Don't make it ridiculously easy to be sniped by a Poison Strike FSB cav. Seriously, the enemy was agroed on EP1...

Yeah that was certainly an interesting fight. Might have dragged on longer if my Bolt Tower didn't deal so much damage (or for that matter exist in the first place), but they seriously even put a high damaging Bolt Trap where 3 Hegemons would have gathered... really, she's just annoying to fight, not impossible to kill...

I was certainly not expecting to see this today, or ever for that matter.

Spoiler

tzvespq.png

So apparently, I'm in an 11-way tie for rank 1 right now after my defense team has taken no losses this week so far (though now that I've said this, I'll definitely lose tomorrow's counted match).

4 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

@Ice Dragon Wait so that's you? What does the name mean, because back in grand conquest I saw like 7 people with that name.

That's just the default name in Japanese, the equivalent of "Kiran" in the English localization.

The Japanese default name is "エクラ" (ekura), which is a phonetic transliteration of French "éclat", meaning "shine".

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's just the default name in Japanese, the equivalent of "Kiran" in the English localization.

The Japanese default name is "エクラ" (ekura), which is a phonetic transliteration of French "éclat", meaning "shine".

Ah makes sense, that thought didn't cross my mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I did an investment on my Young Lyon yesterday, and spent 4,000 Divine Codes to give him Null C-Disrupt from a Fallen Lyon manual.

And it's already been worthy. I did 2 AR matches today, and both had Young L' Arachel. With Null C on Lyon, those maps were pretty easy.

I also added Summer Hilda & Marianne in one of my teams. The Atk+6 and special change per for's attack to allies within 2 spaces means 2 CD specials in every counterattack.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought those two last season would be difficult, since I don't have Ullr and Ashera, so I didn't have a bonus Mythic Hero to grant me lift protection. But it was kinda easy.

I used Vika as my bonus unit in both seasons, and she is a great unit.

• Very high Res and Spd, so she could tank mages without getting doubled by them. I used her to tank Triandras while the rest of my units were getting pots.
  • Be able to debuff Atk, Def and Res of foes, which is very useuful.
  • Being a Beast unit, which means she can run Fortify Beasts + Hone Beasts combo, and fully buff Fallen Edelgard and still make her transform.

This next season I will use Peony, but I am thinking of making a team with Vika is on it.

• 2 weeks later...

It's on one hand hilarious and on the other hand terrifying that Brave Eirika is capable of one-round killing Gustav with his standard kit. That said, giving Gustav Svalinn Shield fixes that problem (though she still takes out a good two thirds of his HP or so), and the ability to lock skills means I can run one team with standard Gustav and a separate team with Svalinn Shield Gustav.

Otherwise, ever since I gave Henriette Crafty Fighter from Legendary Hector, Aether Raids has been utterly trivial. I've been pretty comfortably sitting in top 1,000 for the past couple months running just Gustav, Henriette, 3 Mythics, and the extra slot filled with whatever (usually another Mythic for more stats).

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's on one hand hilarious and on the other hand terrifying that Brave Eirika is capable of one-round killing Gustav with his standard kit. That said, giving Gustav Svalinn Shield fixes that problem (though she still takes out a good two thirds of his HP or so), and the ability to lock skills means I can run one team with standard Gustav and a separate team with Svalinn Shield Gustav.

Otherwise, ever since I gave Henriette Crafty Fighter from Legendary Hector, Aether Raids has been utterly trivial. I've been pretty comfortably sitting in top 1,000 for the past couple months running just Gustav, Henriette, 3 Mythics, and the extra slot filled with whatever (usually another Mythic for more stats).

Yeah, Crafty Fighter Henriette is nuts. I gave her the Gatrie manual recently, and it's sure been paying off.

• 1 month later...

I've fallen out of VoH for a while due to laziness but probably going to get back in it this week with an unmerged Yuri ... on AR-D.  I chuckle every time some poor sod forgets he gets an extra space of range on his turn and he nukes 2 people with a dancer. Haven't had a string of unbroken "successes" since F!Edelgard came out.

Folks are sleeping on Yuri.

• 2 weeks later...