Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

I use Caineghis to tank Ophelia during light season.  Unless there's something really weird going on, Light blessed Caineghis + 2 Eirs +DD4+DD seal + Res tactic means he takes almost no damage, even from the out-of-combat damage, and easily kills her on retaliation.  In fact, I win most of my battles during light season by just having Caineghis tank all the ranged folks (even red Micaiahs!).  Astra season, on the other hand...  I really need to build a good tank for that one.

Now, I have lost a handful of battles by just putting Caineghis in range of a nuke...  but I haven't built any other amazing teams yet for AR, so he's doing a lot of work for now.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Ophelia hits really, really hard. She's literally the best or second best nuke in the game right now (the other contender is Legendary Alm). You either need to hit her on your player phase where she can't activate Blazing Light/Wind/etc. or you need to have a huge amount of Res (in the 50-60 range).

What makes Ophelia particularly dangerous is the fact that Blazing skills ignore the weapon triangle and the damage takes place out of combat, meaning the bulk of her damage can't be mitigated by skills like Triangle Adept or combat buffs like Distant Def. Unlike Alm, who is possible to chip to death by sacrificing units, she's a complete glass cannon and is designed to kill an opponent with her first attack, meaning she either lives with full health or dies a horrible death (which also means B Tomebreaker doesn't really help much against her).

During Light season, Eir helps a lot by giving +10 magic bulk per copy of Eir, but you ideally still want to use a unit that has a lot of Res to begin with. During Astra season, though, you really just have to hope your base Res is going to cut it since we don't have an Astra-Res Mythic Hero yet.

I see. I had Eir fielded too since it was Light season. I guess I got too used to female Robin being able to survive and take care of other blue mage threats, even Reinhardt doesn't do a lot to her when she gets those Res buffs. But I see now.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

No, there aren't. That's a myth. It's just bad for PR if not handled well, so most companies don't do it.

Oh, really? Huh, interesting to know.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, XRay said:

I think it costs around 100-200 Orbs to snipe a unit in a regular Focus. Not sure about Legendary/Mythic Foci though, but I do not think it would be that much more expensive.

I've spent well over 600 orbs trying to get mythics lately and have failed to get any. Got several copies of shared color units for my effort. Poor Johann spent around 900 orbs for a single Naga. Getting specific units from Legendary/Mythic banners can very painful. Without doing any calculations, I'm guessing the cost is at least three times higher for specific units on a Legendary banner.

I have four mythic units total and only one came from a Mythic banner.

• Free Eir
  • Free Duma from the anniversary banner (25% chance)
  • Duma from the anniversary banner (orbs)
  • Eir from a mythic banner (the only mythic I have ever gotten on a mythic banner)

1 hour ago, Tree said:

Without doing any calculations, I'm guessing the cost is at least three times higher for specific units on a Legendary banner.

Here's a like-for-like orb cost comparison. Source is this guy.

Three Houses banner

/June Legendary banner

Best case scenario for both is predictably green, where we can compare Edelgard's 106 median and 144 average orb cost against 122/172 for Yune (or any specific green unit on the banner). Worst case is of course red, Byleth's 126/172 against 145/203 (if we pretend one of the greys last month was Mythic).

Interesting that basically pulling a focus red on 6% banner is extremely close in cost to pulling a specific green on an 8% banner.

Edited by Humanoid

@Usana

Looks like the triple galeforce team actually worked! Thanks for mentioning it!

Spoiler

Seliph is the bane of my existence, which is why I also made a +10 one and put him in my anima defense. One easy way around teams like this is just a simple pulse smoke tank, possibly with null c-disrupt as well, but skills are hard to come by sometimes.

Astra week still sucks for me as usual. I don't understand why, honestly. I won battles today, but not without a lot of deaths.

I got a successful defense already though! Maybe having put two refreshers in there this time was the reason. That does seem to give a good number of people trouble.

Edited by Anacybele

Started with a Defensive Success, once again from someone who shouldn't have lost at all~ IDK what's up with people on Astra Season~

Good matches today, Summer Lyn took down an Armor team and ran into a Cav Line team that wasn't too bad but ended up losing a Naga due to a miscalculation on my part~

Continuing the talk on successful defense thing, for some reason I can't replay the one I got. It just says unable to be replayed. Wtf? This has never happened before.

Edited by Anacybele

26 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Continuing the talk on successful defense thing, for some reason I can't replay the one I got. It just says unable to be replayed. Wtf? This has never happened before.

I vaguely recall someone saying that you can't replay successes where it's simply the attacker surrendering immediately. Might just have been someone wanting the daily reward for doing a fight.

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If a player surrenders on the map preview screen, you receive a victory, but there isn't a replay because the player never started the map. I'm unsure what happens if the player does start the map, but surrenders without making a move.

30 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I vaguely recall someone saying that you can't replay successes where it's simply the attacker surrendering immediately. Might just have been someone wanting the daily reward for doing a fight.

19 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

If a player surrenders on the map preview screen, you receive a victory, but there isn't a replay because the player never started the map. I'm unsure what happens if the player does start the map, but surrenders without making a move.

Oh. Well, I wonder what made them say nope to my team. Didn't think I made a defense team that was THAT good. lol 

@Jave Yep I got the same surprise. You REALLY have to be prepared for some dumb shit.

Edited by Anacybele

16 hours ago, Maaka said:

Hey, cool Anna! (I need more GF fodder ... *sigh*). How many merges do you have on Velouria currently? 

4 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Hey, cool Anna! (I need more GF fodder ... *sigh*). How many merges do you have on Velouria currently? 

Just 1, I had a +spd/-atk one, so I wanted to fix the -atk, even if it meant not having a Velouria for light season.

I was close to tier 18 despite my relatively low investment and went ahead and did a few extra battles to get there. Big mistake. I'm now being matched up against T19 people and it feels like that's the point where the people who take this mode seriously begin appearing in numbers, and I'm having a torrid time competing. I think I'm going to try to sandbag my way back to T17. I remain without any Mythic heroes other than Eir and so I could probably compete in Light seasons but beyond that ...yeah no.

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I was close to tier 18 despite my relatively low investment and went ahead and did a few extra battles to get there. Big mistake. I'm now being matched up against T19 people and it feels like that's the point where the people who take this mode seriously begin appearing in numbers, and I'm having a torrid time competing. I think I'm going to try to sandbag my way back to T17. I remain without any Mythic heroes other than Eir and so I could probably compete in Light seasons but beyond that ...yeah no.

I would not recommend intentionally sabotaging your own chances of climbing to Tier 18. Maintaining a tier is honestly pretty easy for 99% of players. I play pretty shit nowadays and I can still easily maintain Tier 21, and I can oftentimes climb to Tier 22.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:11 AM, Maaka said:

@Usana

Reveal hidden contents

Seliph is the bane of my existence, which is why I also made a +10 one and put him in my anima defense. One easy way around teams like this is just a simple pulse smoke tank, possibly with null c-disrupt as well, but skills are hard to come by sometimes.

Huh. That worked more smoothly than I was expecting to see. Though I imagine it helps getting Gale down to 2 turns thanks to Vel. Sometimes I really wish she had popped up for me. That is nifty effect. Sadly as a casual and collector my priorities don't quite line up 'nifty skills first'. I did budget some orbs for collection reasons, but Veronica kept popping up instead so I had to call it quits. And too much is happening now for me to really focus on the Close Defense banner. Threw a tiny bit at it, opened all the colorless orbs on the free session, but no luck. But anyways Vel being shy aside, interesting to see 3 galeforce at work. Particularly since your team there has 2 infantry which is what I would likely end up having to work with. This does seem to help push the idea that one needs to have a 3 mover somewhere in there in order to make the opening strike. Which is what I feared.

@Humanoid I agree with XRay. Staying in is usually not too much of a hassle since you just have to out pace your defense losses. That is mostly what I did when I hit 19. Too much hassle to try to climb for real, but eventually I got up to 20 just by having one really good light week, despite barely staying during previous weeks. And eventually the same thing happened in 20 to 21. So yeah, my vote is for; don't work your arse off, but no need to intentionally drop down. If you can't maintain with your desired effort, you'll drop naturally. Though then the question would be if you want to ping pong between tiers or just not bother trying to climb back up to something you can't maintain without putting in more effort than you feel is reasonable.

Agreed with the others. Play without pressure, don't worry about losses or the occasional wipe, and you'll hang in the tier. Pushing from 19 -> 20 and 20 -> 21 are the only real times you have to care about damage control - and it can be done with just the free Eir and haemorrhaged defence losses, if you ever feel it's something you want to do.

My odds of winning any given matchup are about 50:50 at best, so the main cost of trying to maintain would be needing to fight multiple battles a day instead of my customary one, since I'd want a win a day. This was previously doable easily enough with one attempt a day, so doubling the required time investment is kind of a big deal. I have no doubt that I can maintain the tier, it's just the effort required.

Admittedly it's been a pretty small sample so far, like 6 battles this week? Won 2 or 3, can't even remember. But I'm now seeing a lot of level 5+1 defense fortresses where previously they were very rare. I just upgraded my offense fortress to level 4 with the daily stones yesterday.

Defense losses are a given because I don't even have the fifth defense unit, let alone a sixth. I'm intentionally neglecting defense because all my resources need to go into buildings that make the actual combat I engage in less painful.

Edited by Humanoid

Today was pretty easy. IDK why I keep getting matched up with Armor Balls but Lyn took them down without much trouble. I did lose the 2nd one, though, since I was stalled out by Svalinn Shield Double DD3 Zephiel~ Other match was just Kana and Nah tanking~

27 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

My odds of winning any given matchup are about 50:50 at best, so the main cost of trying to maintain would be needing to fight multiple battles a day instead of my customary one, since I'd want a win a day. This was previously doable easily enough with one attempt a day, so doubling the required time investment is kind of a big deal. I have no doubt that I can maintain the tier, it's just the effort required.

Admittedly it's been a pretty small sample so far, like 6 battles this week? Won 2 or 3, can't even remember. But I'm now seeing a lot of level 5+1 defense fortresses where previously they were very rare. I just upgraded my offense fortress to level 4 with the daily stones yesterday.

Defense losses are a given because I don't even have the fifth defense unit, let alone a sixth. I'm intentionally neglecting defense because all my resources need to go into buildings that make the actual combat I engage in less painful.

You can maintain with 2 battles a day as long as you win them. Even 1 a day as long as you win should be enough. Assuming you are winning reliably, it's hardly any effort to do 2 matches a day. I was in T21 with a Lv4 Fort for the longest time against Lv5 Forts and I won fairly often, maybe with a couple units lost, so I'm sure you can do alright with Lv 4 against Lv5s in T18~

@Humanoid Right, I forgot you can't rely on Anima/Dark reduced defense loss to help keep ahead. Because of that I only really needed 1 win per ~2 losses, at least during Anima(Thank goodness I got a Yune recently so now that is the case both seasons). There were a couple close calls during dark season, and that is what you are looking at all the time. But still, I say if it is going to happen let it happen naturally rather than intentionally sandbagging. Some weeks can be really rough and some rather easy. So you could fluctuate around. No shame there.

But of course the decision is yours.

Yeah, it's going to get a lot easier now that your opponents don't have the equivalent of 20 extra merges. I'm surprised you don't have enough for L5 attack already? But I guess I might be underestimating the stone count of higher tiers.

If you've been neglecting your Resort, remember that expenditure there gives you a small amount of stones, too.

1 hour ago, Parrhesia said:

Yeah, it's going to get a lot easier now that your opponents don't have the equivalent of 20 extra merges. I'm surprised you don't have enough for L5 attack already? But I guess I might be underestimating the stone count of higher tiers.

If you've been neglecting your Resort, remember that expenditure there gives you a small amount of stones, too.

It's a combination of starting AR fairly recently - I only did my first ever battle in late May - and relying on the auto-improve feature early on which wasted resources on some defensive buildings and such.

EDIT: Haha, I just merged my +1 Eir into my newly acquired +Atk one. Now I can't use her to battle because she's level 1. I'm a dumb-dumb.

Hopefully there's a double XP event for the 2.5th anniversary.

Edited by Humanoid