Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

39 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

is anyone NOT getting the Feh Statue, Flower Bed and Street lamp? (It just occurred to me that they are a different currency - so i might as well right?)

Yeah just get it. No reason not to since the currency used for them will disappear after the quests

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ice Dragon I'm pretty set on the general stuff, it's just some horse setups specifically that are troublesome. Like that map I posted above, my Camilla couldn't bait it due to Siegbert, so I had to either find a workaround (like I did) or go for sniping a unit. Sniping a unit doesn't work to well for me on those maps since it requires 2 dancers and cavalry movement to do safely against that sort of trap arrangement, which I can't really do with what I have available.(especially not verses merged + bonus stat enemies)

For most things, the combination of blade tome fliers, Camilla baiting anything non-red and Loki Thokk'ing healers/other mages works well. I think what I could use is better horses or a tanky unit that can bait a mix of blue and red safely (like a Rein + Legendary Eirika together), but I don't have the right units at the moment.

1 hour ago, mcsilas said:

Yeah just get it. No reason not to since the currency used for them will disappear after the quests

Ohhh. okay. so i upgraded my aether thingy with the aether dew (so it's worth it to spend all of the dew on this?)
I realised when i opened up my 5th slot for offense, i got some dew. 

once i get more rocks i'll get another defense slot. 

maybe now i won't have all these pathetic "failures, failures, failures." all the time.

Okay I'm actually kind of starting to feel bad about doing stuff like this.

uovTwJn.png

(This is turn 1, but the map was pretty easy to begin with. I guess doing this is better than giving the map owner false hopes that his defense map works, though.)

Edited by DehNutCase

I think I'm going to miss out on hitting tier 18 by 1 defense loss. I can hit 7,280 max, but I'll probably lose 2 more full defenses as always over the next 2 days. I'd have to remain both perfect on offense and not get attacked one of the remaining days. (since I'll never ever get a real defense win in this mode) I went one day without getting attacked, so I'll have to pray for a second one. (got 3 failed defenses just today, so doubtful) I'm bummed, but I guess I didn't expect to even get this close anyway.

Really, if even 5 unit whale teams on cancer maps aren't stopping me I guess I shouldn't expect my poor defense units(mostly umerged) to do the trick.

I was trying in this mode initially, but when you start seeing the same broken, uncreative teams that a mindless zombie who wants to just play the game on easy mode could put together, it's hard to take it seriously.

Until I come up against a team that doesn't consist of the usual boring units that I might take seriously as some effort was made to attempt something different, then i'll continue to use a fun whatever team on offence and proceed not to care about the outcome.

My defense team managed to be successful 7 times in a row last week, with multiple defenses a day. Now I just get 1 match and it's generally 60-80 lift loss each time. 

Hmm, well, unless I suddenly turn into the 'worst fucking player ever'TM, I should be fine for T17 with 6640 lift, since I only need to survive with 1 unit in tomorrow's 2 maps to make 6500.

Not looking forward to next season's units---I have nothing against Laevatein, I just don't have the resources to build a team I consider 'good' around her at the moment.

Welp, I just went up against a team I practically couldn't do anything about. I could've maybe won with heavy casualties if I didn't mess something up, but honestly, that match showcased everything wrong with Aether Raids. Ophelia, Inigo, Olivia, Blyn, and Mage!Eirika all cuddled in a corner with no way to bait them out on the lava map. The fort blocked the left entry so I couldn't shoot them, and he had the only entrance lined up with traps. That map made it impossible to move. I guess I should congratulate him for a good defensive map, but making cancer defenses like that simply isn't fun, and it makes me wonder why some maps even exist when others are so superior. 

Honestly, I wonder how many people complain about cancer maps while having a cancer fort themselves. From my experience, it's pretty much impossible to get a defence win otherwise, so I just built a fun map and accept the only way I'll avoid the loss is by not being attacked.

7 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Honestly, I wonder how many people complain about cancer maps while having a cancer fort themselves. From my experience, it's pretty much impossible to get a defence win otherwise, so I just built a fun map and accept the only way I'll avoid the loss is by not being attacked.

My maps are honestly pretty trivial for me to beat---but that's because I built them so I know their weak spots, lul. (Building forts should honestly help people learn how to clear forts, since you see weak spots a lot clearer from the defensive side.)

That said, my fort is definitely three different levels of cancer, even if the fact that I focused more on offense than defense meant that it's only 4 units. (It's hilariously weak to Aversa because it relies on CC Rein and Leo, and I'm honestly a little surprised* people still keep her on teams since it's panic manor season this week. Something like 80% of the teams that fought me brought Aversa in.)

*Edit: Only a little surprised, though. Panic manor isn't consistent enough to be a real counter to -blade, so if you have tome issues Aversa is definitely a good choice.

It also doesn't target the apparently most common weakpoint---tanky units that are dangerous to bait---but my hyper offensive focus bites me in the ass here because I don't actually have a lot of units like Surtr. I might try swapping to a +0 armor emblem defense team just to see if it's better, but for now at least I don't care about defense wins enough to spend too much time on my defense team.

Edited by DehNutCase

22 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

My maps are honestly pretty trivial for me to beat---but that's because I built them so I know their weak spots, lul. (Building forts should honestly help people learn how to clear forts, since you see weak spots a lot clearer from the defensive side.)

That said, my fort is definitely three different levels of cancer, even if the fact that I focused more on offense than defense meant that it's only 4 units. (It's hilariously weak to Aversa because it relies on CC Rein and Leo, and I'm honestly a little surprised people still keep her on teams since it's panic manor season this week. Something like 80% of the teams that fought me brought Aversa in.)

Your fort doesn't sound like the typical cancer setup, which are hard to bait units like Veronica, Lyn and dancers, which map design that makes it hard to initiate (though I've built high-offense, high-movement-assist teams to ensure I can always initiate effectively).

Edited by Baldrick

Speaking of defense, is anyone here not getting attacked anymore?  The past two weeks I've been hit 2-3 times almost every day.  Hard to know if this is just bad luck, or if the more casual base dropping off is leaving less people to potentially match with in my lift range. 

Mind that the higher up you go in rank the less you get attacked, because the system prefers to match you with people below your lift than above, as far as I can see. I've been bouncing around the ~1k range this week since I'm playing seriously, and I'm attacked a lot less than last week when I was bouncing around the 2.3-3.3k range.

I actually didn't get attacked at all today, meaning I'm fine even if I skipped playing tomorrow.

Double Posting, but I hope it's fine since the thread's pretty slow, and it's a different topic.

@mampfoid Here you go:

It's a pretty easy team (everyone's +0), and honestly normally I wouldn't bother screenshotting it. But I won't have double dancer next season so I figured I'd just record the first team that's actually worth blocking units against.

Edit: Bonus video---gods I'm bad at this game. Kappa.

Spoiler

Edited by DehNutCase

Honestly, I'm really starting to dislike Savage Blow thanks to this mode.

I've lost 4 straight matches now, all of them involving multiple units with Savage Blow. Combined with the tricky layouts and time crunch, it makes it hard to avoid getting caught up in them. Heck, one of my opponents had Savage Blow on all their units. Utterly demolished my team.

Only had enough for 1 match yesterday. Just did a perfect run then from 2 tough matches (4 Aether destroyed. 0 units lost).

Despite this, I'm 4 Aether short for 1 more match, which leaves me just out of the next tier by 40 lift. There goes -360 Lift underseverdely.

I hate this game mode.

RIP tier 18. I calculated that I needed to get all the aether from my remaining 2 matches to have enough for a 3rd, but I ran into a map I wasn't going to be able to win cleanly and still collect everything. I could have won it deathless for sure if I just ignored the aether, but to collect any I was going to have to lose at least a couple units. Ended up trying an alternate plan that didn't pan out (as I expected, due to me banking on the healing/dancing AI doing something it probably wasn't going to), and I still won but with no aether and just Ninian alive. If it worked I would have had a perfect run, but oh well, it was all-or-nothing anyway. It would have been a safe plan instead of a gamble had my bolt tower not hit 2 units, causing Veronica to heal and get danced 1 turn before I was going to be fully set up.

I'm finally dumping the bolt tower after this and probably not taking any offensive buildings anymore period, aside from whatever the bonus is.

Honestly, most of them are more a menace than a help. I almost never want them actually affect the enemy team and map. The tactics room might hold a unit down I wanted to bait, the catapult breaks a building making the enemy team harder to approach, the bolt tower causes healers to move on turn 3, etc. Even the very space they take up on the bottom row sometimes gets in my way for positioning.

I just fought a full +10 team of Firesweep  Brave Lyn, Adrift Corrin(F), L!Tiki w/ Armored boots, and HS!Micaiah. I some how almost won with a F2P team, but the Tiki's Bold Fighter Aether had other plan. Now it sucks that I actual have to hope that someone defeats my defense team so that I can play one more match since I need 1 more Aether.

Edited by LoneStar

Hmm ending my lift with 6480. So close to 6500 and I'm expecting a -80 anyway even if I did reach 6500.

I had two instances of 1 death today and yesterday which may have mattered then.

One was against an evil Veronica + two dancer combo. (Note to self, keep allies even farther away from my own baiting Cecilia when facing two dancers- Veronica was danced and sniped my Reinhardt).

Another careless mistake today was forgetting Veronica's not-that-great Res. I was calculating if enemy Minizura would outspeed my Veronica- which she didnt, but I forgot to take into account the Atk boosts from her weapon and the Atk/Def bond Sacred Seal, so it didn't matter if she couldn't outspeed Veronica.

Oh well, so close yet so far. I even managed to get a one or two days where I completely dodged any battles against my defense map. A shame this will be reset.

The stress for this week is finally over. Finishing with 7220 lift and immunity from lift loss for the rest of the season. Thankfully my defense team took down a few units this week, so not all of my losses were -80. Still can't decide whether or not to upgrade the defense fortress or keep holding onto my dew in hopes that when they release the aether fountain upgrade, it will cost 1000 dew or something and I will get a small boost before everyone can upgrade it. Seems very unlikely, but you never know. That or I just buy the offensive fort upgrade and run through everyone since I can hardly control my defense matches. I think I can lose a total of 500 lift from defenses if I play perfect on offense next week, so I may just go for it.