Aether Raids General Thread

redlight

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I have zero defense activity all day between when I woke up this morning and now, but had two defense losses from when I was sleeping before I built a proper map. What gives?

I got 4 failed defenses within the first hour before I made a map (and 1 happened while I was still doing the tutorial), but none all day since.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are very fun. Right now I'm trying to design a defense team by locking a bunch of blade tome users in a corner. This forces the enemy to play aggressively or else the time limit will make them lose. But playing aggressively makes you lose units. Aversa hard counters this strategy but I'm betting that not everyone has 5 starred her or bothers to use her in this mode. 

6 hours ago, wheelsonfire said:

Not to mention I feel like the rewards are much less useful… I'd rather have ways to strengthen my current units, than have to win around 10 battles in the lower tiers to get one new one that I have to strengthen anyway in order to even be able to use…

If there isn't a GHB/TT unit you want to merge up, you can use them as fodder. There are some pretty good skills you can get even at 4*, and unlike with orbs you can choose who you want.

@Ice Dragon, @Alkaid, @Robert of Normandy, I also haven't gotten any all day. If you don't mind me asking, are you in Tier 3? I think matchmaking works off of Tiers. If you reached Tier 3 later in the day, its likely there weren't as many players with stamina left "strong enough" to face you. This is why you may have had some earlier before you made a defense team, but none after. Just my theory.

12 minutes ago, Ressueah said:

@Ice Dragon, @Alkaid, @Robert of Normandy, I also haven't gotten any all day. If you don't mind me asking, are you in Tier 3? I think matchmaking works off of Tiers. If you reached Tier 3 later in the day, its likely there weren't as many players with stamina left "strong enough" to face you. This is why you may have had some earlier before you made a defense team, but none after. Just my theory.

I did actually. Maybe that's it.

14 minutes ago, Ressueah said:

Yeah I hit Tier 3 pretty much right after I got those few defenses, so maybe.

I can verify that if your first defense result is a success that failures afterwards(for the 20 hour period stated) do not cost you lift just like it sounds like it should according to the help. Pretty nice.

I do sorta regret burning all dew on the Aether Storage rather than saving up to boost my (D) Fortress. But I assumed since we needed to be Rank 4 to upgrade it that I could skip it for a time. Kinda sucks that (O) Fortress can be upgraded at a faster pace than (D) Fortress. If anything the (D) needs all the help it can get. Then again it looks like (D) teams can be larger once unit slots are unlocked than (O) teams can, so maybe that is why.

It's easily one of the most enjoyable game modes IS has put into Heroes since.........

The thing that kind of kills it for me is how little I'm allowed to play this mode, since it runs off a meter that doesn't regenerate or have any items to fill it back up, forcing me to wait a whole day to play another 5-10 minutes of it.  I also don't like how I need to use bonus units in order to get a higher score, since that requires me to actually pull a new unit on a banner and than build them up while they're still a bonus unit.  I do like setting up the buildings for both defense and offense, and thankfully the dew is only used within that game mode.

I was a little concerned, but as is it's pretty good actually. I'll have to do some rematches as I got 5 defences and only one was a win, but no losses on attack so far.

Est as a bonus unit has been eating the enemy alive, she tanked Chrissa and Eliwood at one point to my surprise. I have some questions: Do multiple bonus units help and how much Aether is recovered daily?

39 minutes ago, Ressueah said:

I've actually just been in Tier 1 the whole time. I've been at work all day, and breaks to tap on my phone were spent reading building descriptions and making a cancer map instead of actually playing the game mode.

On the other hand, I did end up getting one defense result, and it was a victory by surrender, it seems. I assume Pain+ spam just kind of sucks to play against.

Fjorm bonus + Aether Fort stat bonus is terrifying. My Nino had 63 Atk (before taking blade damage into account) and 63 Spd.

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I was a little concerned, but as is it's pretty good actually. I'll have to do some rematches as I got 5 defences and only one was a win, but no losses on attack so far.

Est as a bonus unit has been eating the enemy alive, she tanked Chrissa and Eliwood at one point to my surprise. I have some questions: Do multiple bonus units help and how much Aether is recovered daily?

50 until they let us start upgrading the fountain.

I got two defense battles while I was still setting up. The first was against the map and team the game auto-picked when I finished the tutorial and was a win because I guess whoever fought me was lazy and auto battled. This ended up giving me the bizarre replay to watch of Brave Lyn ramming uselessly into my Kliff and Brave Celica wandering straight out into the open so my Fjorm could run her over.

After that, I got another battle halfway through building my defense. The person actually played there, so it was an easy win for them. Third battle was also a loss because Aether boosts made their Fjorm basically unkillable to Nino and Kliff and it was easy enough for them to just pick off Draug and Sheena afterward. Since the player turtled hard, though, they didn't get anywhere near my Aether buildings.

1 minute ago, bottlegnomes said:

Do you have to be a certain rank to start getting people attacking your castle? I haven't gotten a single one yet.

Nope. They just happen completely at random.

It seems you only fight opponents that have the same (or similar) rank as you, though.

12 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Am I the only one who can't beat my own defense team? 

Nope, my defence team also kicks my ass, that is partially because the offence and defence towers are considered the same level in training so no stat boosts are given like they would against other peoples

21 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Am I the only one who can't beat my own defense team? 

I can beat my own defense team only if I'm specifically running a team meant to beat it. My main offense team can't do anything about it, though.

If my calculations are correct:

• Not counting your first fight of the day (free), the Aether cost to start a fight = (Current Lift / 100) + 10
  • The Aether payback for winning and taking the Resources (Amphorae and Fountain) are 10% of the Aether cost you used to enter, rounded down (20% if you get both)
  • A player who can full clear every Offense map they take on (has bonus unit, kill all 4 enemies, not lose anyone) should end up with 3,600 Lift (Tier 10) provided they take enough Resources each battle (total amount is hard to calculate, but it's around 87.5% of all Resources)
  • Full clears while taking no resources whatsoever would leave you with 3,200 Lift (Tier 9)

I like it. Few thoughts:

— Setting 5 diverse teams instead of just one and done like in Arena and GC makes it way easier to anticipate wacky teams. Most of the teams I ran into were armored or dragons though, and it’s easy to stop those with Chrom, Micaiah, and Cherche.

— Wish Aether wasn’t so strictly limited. Same issue with GC more or less; finite access to the most enjoyable modes in the game. It’s a better stamina method since it’s daily instead of continuous, but still inconvenient (locked myself out of a 9th battle by accidentally killing the other team too quickly in two of my fights and missing pots, and now I hate pots).

— Set up my defense team for dodging Aversa, but my only defense battle was against someone with no merges losing against some random team I listed with no obstacles included. Seems like the best way to get fights is to set up defense early and put off fights for later.

— REALLY hope they let us play against whoever for no cost, even if there’s no real reward. Or give rewards anyway, it’s not like everything has to be gated by opportunity.

Edited by a bear
hate how this website loves to randomly make text big or tiny

Wait, how are you guys making unbeatable defense teams? I can easily beat my own defense team. Can also easily beat other people's defense teams, when someone wrecks my defense team I just revenge them and wreck them back. I just sort of assumed offense is much easier than defense, just like arena.

I'm running Cancer 2018 aka Reinhardt, Lyn, Veronica, + Summer Micaiah on defense. They kind of suck TBH, there are so many units that can tank and kill them. My Veronica literally did 0 damage to a L!Tiki, was so sad. They are all 0 merge or low merge though.

14 minutes ago, dethneer said:

Wait, how are you guys making unbeatable defense teams? I can easily beat my own defense team. Can also easily beat other people's defense teams, when someone wrecks my defense team I just revenge them and wreck them back. I just sort of assumed offense is much easier than defense, just like arena.

I'm running Cancer 2018 aka Reinhardt, Lyn, Veronica, + Summer Micaiah on defense. They kind of suck TBH, there are so many units that can tank and kill them. My Veronica literally did 0 damage to a L!Tiki, was so sad. They are all 0 merge or low merge though.

My current setup seems to be costing people units, but 2/3 have managed to beat my team. I am running Aversa/Kliff/Fjorm/Regular Myrrh. The bonus units actually getting their boosts on defense can really help shore them up. Aversa offsets the +4 they get from the fortress and makes their buffs worth less. She has a bad habit of attacking blues, such as enemy Fjorms, though.

And @Ice Dragon is apparently running the Dazzling Pain+ Deal, which wants to make me cry just thinking of it. I am thinking of trying something similar myself. Finally built up Clarine who I have had setting at 4*+10(+SPD) for ages. So it would end up being Veronica, Clarine, Bridal Lyn, and Genny. Mostly because all but Clarine have a B Staff skill already. I only have 1 spare Genny to kill so the only one up for grabs is Clarine(and honestly not really sure if her attack warrants it, most of her damage will be from pain. Probably better to save it and give Clarine something else). If I want them all to have Pain+ I will need to grind the crap out of Lyn and Genny to catch up to Clarine. Genny needs another couple hundred SP I think to get a staff leveled up. And Lyn is missing both Savage AND Pain so will need over 1000 more SP. No way am I grinding that up without the weekend boost. Sadly I didn't get much past Clarine before the armors went away. So they and Silas have to hit the workout which is one of my least favorite maps to train on. Veronica should have enough SP, but I wonder if I should just leave her standard staff on.

1 minute ago, dethneer said:

My defense team is 3 Razzle Dazzle Pain+ staffies and a dancer with my best impression of a Grand Hero Battle overlap as I could get.

Spoiler

K6hm2v8.jpg

What do you guys prioritize? I try to aim for the aether buildings, even at the cost of losing units and by extension lesser lift, because it seems to rob aether from the defending team when you are in higher tiers and I want to start practicing. The people who raid me seem to just focus on defeating my units. So far I haven't failed a raid (the worst I have gotten was 2 lost units because I somehow got matched with a  presumably p2w team of fliers with distant counters), but have not successfully defended either. I think the fact that you get to assemble multiple teams and are allowed pick your team when analyzing the enemy map makes aether raid too easy.