Any Magic the: Gathering players on this site?

Shoblongoo

MTGArena?
MagicOnline?
Good-old-fashioned cardboard?

How long you been playing? What was your first set?
You follow the lore or just play the game?
Where you play and what you running?

________

Always like to find out who else plays and talk game.

Got into it when I was in middle school all the way back in the   Invasion / Odyssey  block meta. Met some of my best and oldest friends playing it--the game's been a part of my life for longer than it hasn't.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

My dad was much more of a player than me, I believe he started when Arabian Nights was released. He has a Collector's Edition set containing all Power 9 cards and dual lands - which is probably worth a ridiculous amount of money despite being unplayable in format and not even the originals. 

I played occasionally but never really cared to invest time and money into it to buy my own cards.

Edited by Tryhard

16 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

He has a Collector's Edition set containing all Power 9 cards and dual lands  which is probably worth a ridiculous amount of money

mint condition Black Lotus sold for $87,000 on Kotaku back in July. 

You could put a down payment on a house with that collection. 

I got in the card game about a year ago in my table top games club where one of the supervisors who had been playing for years made some beginner friendly decks to introduce into people into the game. I played using those for a long time until I had to leave the club and now I've just recently bought a custom made deck of my own using the recent Dominaria sets.

I consider myself a casual of the game and while I would like to buy new decks I have other things I need/want to spend my money on right now so it's gonna have to wait for another day.

I played Arena for a little while, but the cardboard version feels better to play since it's more personal, so I'm hoping to find more people to go rounds with.

I started on the Dominaria set that released earlier this year alongside a certain Homs. My deck is worth all of 13 dollars and is easy to beat but sometimes it runs away with landslide victories since it's a white and red auras and equipment build. Especially when this card hits the field. I enjoy piloting it.

I read the lore casually. It's not really a story to take seriously since a lot of the character design and cards are made solely with audience appeal in mind.

20 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

mint condition Black Lotus sold for $87,000 on Kotaku back in July. 

You could put a down payment on a house with that collection. 

To be fair, that's an Alpha one, and in mint condition too. Very few are both, and the 1993 collector's edition version is much less coveted. For the entire box I can see it on ebay for $8K to $13K (sealed), which is still ridiculous mind you.

(I believe he got it from entering a MTG tournament in the 90's)

Edited by Tryhard

30 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

To be fair, that's an Alpha one, and in mint condition too. Very few are both, and the 1993 collector's edition version is much less coveted. For the entire box I can see it on ebay for $8K to $13K (sealed), which is still ridiculous mind you.

(I believe he got it from entering a MTG tournament in the 90's)

Ridiculous indeed.

There's a reason they call it cardboard crack.

34 minutes ago, PeaceRibbon said:

I played Arena for a little while, but the cardboard version feels better to play since it's more personal, so I'm hoping to find more people to go rounds with.

I started on the Dominaria set that released earlier this year alongside a certain Homs. My deck is worth all of 13 dollars and is easy to beat but sometimes it runs away with landslide victories since it's a white and red auras and equipment build. Especially when this card hits the field. I enjoy piloting it.

I read the lore casually. It's not really a story to take seriously since a lot of the character design and cards are made solely with audience appeal in mind.

Aye--Red/White aggro is a fun little beginner friendly deck thats doing pretty good right now, and can be thrown together on a budget with mostly commons and uncommons if you don't have a whole lot of mythics and rares yet. 

I think the version of that deck in Guilds of Ravnica with the [mentor] mechanic and all the cheap, efficient boros cards you can run with it ( healer's hawk, goblin banneret, boros challenger, skyknight legionnaire,  truefire captain, etc.) is most definitively better then the Dominaria aura/equipment version of the deck.

And I would definitely recommend picking up some guilds of ravnica packs if you enjoy playing in that archetype.

I'm loving that arena lets me draft whenever I want without putting money into packs, and without having to go through the trouble of trying to get 8 busy friends together on a Saturday night where  everyone's trying to do their own thing.

The fact that its F2P accessible and makes drafting + casual constructed accessible without continuously throwing $$$ at the game is great.

I agree--it doesn't have the same charm as getting your friends together, cracking open some beers, and playing around a long table. 

But I really appreciate the ease of access and free play.

40 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I got in the card game about a year ago in my table top games club where one of the supervisors who had been playing for years made some beginner friendly decks to introduce into people into the game. I played using those for a long time until I had to leave the club and now I've just recently bought a custom made deck of my own using the recent Dominaria sets.

I consider myself a casual of the game and while I would like to buy new decks I have other things I need/want to spend my money on right now so it's gonna have to wait for another day.

Definitely recommend downloading MTG arena if you want to play more and build more decks but money is an issue--I'm also at a point in life where I'm finding it increasingly diffcult to justify going out and spending money on cardboard everytime a new set comes out.

What deck you running now with the Dominaria cards?  

Edited by Shoblongoo

I play, I mainly play paper Magic

I started back in New Phyrexia (and Phyrexian mana was sure confusing to me).

I typically don't play standard, I prefer the nonrotating formats. Mainly Modern, Pauper, and EDH (Marisil the Pretender is my favorite general). Lately I built my first legacy deck burn, mainly because my Modern and Pauper combined I had almost all of the pieces needed to play.

I'm hyped to play Simic in the next prerelease, and I hope they finally give UG a real identity. 

I played MTG on and off for more than a decade now. Main problem I had with it is that the most efficient way to make decks is to buy singles from the secondary market, and that's just no fun. (It doesn't help that WotC follows the diamond market theory of supply and demand---that is, keep supply low to keep prices high for profit rather than making tons of supply at moderate prices for profit, meaning individual cards can get damn expensive.)

Arena fixes a lot of the issues, though, with wildcards and whatnot. It's a lot simpler than MTGO (which I used to play a lot, spent like ~1,000 USD on it, I think), but on the other hand it's a lot cheaper. Drafting only costs 5 bucks worth of gems and you get about half of it back from prizes. Yeah, it's a CCG rather than TCG on Arena, but most people who play magic to play magic are never selling their collections anyway, so I don't mind the fact that my 'collection' will go down with the ship if/when MTGA sinks.

8 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

MTGArena?
MagicOnline?
Good-old-fashioned cardboard?

How long you been playing? What was your first set?
You follow the lore or just play the game?
Where you play and what you running?

________

Always like to find out who else plays and talk game.

Got into it when I was in middle school all the way back in the   Invasion / Odyssey  block meta. Met some of my best and oldest friends playing it--the game's been a part of my life for longer than it hasn't.  

i personally hate playing online. Cardboard is the only way to play for me. im a casual player now. dont really play much anymore. i play Force of will solely now and also used to play Yugioh. i played standard mostly and some legacy at my buddies place. over 10 years ive played. didint have any interest in the lore. i played at my LGS Skyhaven Games. 

21 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

What deck you running now with the Dominaria cards?

It's a Tribal Red/Blue deck centered around wizard type cards like Adeliz, the Cinder Wind. It's not really a competitive deck, but I have fun playing it and that's all that really matters to me. If I can scrape up the cash I was thinking my next deck would be similar Tribal Red/Black deck using pirates instead of wizards.

Also I have played MTG Arena and I do like it as a way of testing out cards and deck ideas, plus it taught me a few rules I had been using wrong in the actual game(oops!). My only issue with it is that I can't seem to find any way to challenge friends directly so I haven't been playing it much recently because you can only play so many games against random people using the freebie life gain deck.

I casually play online with a friend of mine every sometimes. I enjoy it and the lore is interesting, but I know very little about MTG and I only pick pre-constructed decks to play around with.

I did play some EDH mainly with Angel decks, but if I got back into the game I probably would aspire to get the most dirty glances around the table by playing things like Scrambleverse or Shahrazad.

scrambleverse-30074-medium.jpg

The flavour text is just too good not to play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, Captain Karnage said:

I'm hyped to play Simic in the next prerelease, and I hope they finally give UG a real identity. 

UG merfolks was decent back in Ixalan tbh. (my favorite UG deck of all time is stil the UG madness build from Odyssey Block--that was the first real constructed deck I ever put together way, way back in 2002)

On 11/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, DehNutCase said:

Arena fixes a lot of the issues, though, with wildcards and whatnot. It's a lot simpler than MTGO (which I used to play a lot, spent like ~1,000 USD on it, I think), but on the other hand it's a lot cheaper. Drafting only costs 5 bucks worth of gems and you get about half of it back from prizes. Yeah, it's a CCG rather than TCG on Arena, but most people who play magic to play magic are never selling their collections anyway, so I don't mind the fact that my 'collection' will go down with the ship if/when MTGA sinks.

My win rate in draft has been high enough that I've been able to pretty much draft whenever I want off of free coins + prize gems without putting any real money into it.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:49 PM, Lord of Gabriel Knight said:

I play Magic Duels, Arena, and use Untap.in to play magic. I've been playing for about 3-4 years, the first set I bought anything of was Kaladesh. I am very invested in the lore, since Magic Origins.

Loved the old lore. (i.e. Legend's Cycle, Urza's Saga, Ice Age Saga, Wetherlight Saga)

Back when Dominaria was the center of attention and the story focused on lore-building it into a setting with detailed interconnected histories for all its nations and races and cultures, instead of just jumping from plane to underdeveloped plane and following the "duels of the planeswalkers."

They blew it all up, abandoned all the old storylines, killed off most of the old characters, and rebooted the verse with Jace and Chandra and the current crew of lore newcomers back in 2007. 

Haven't really been able to get into the new lore. Tried. Didn't care for it.  

On 11/10/2018 at 8:15 AM, TheGoodHoms said:

It's a Tribal Red/Blue deck centered around wizard type cards like Adeliz, the Cinder Wind. It's not really a competitive deck, but I have fun playing it and that's all that really matters to me. If I can scrape up the cash I was thinking my next deck would be similar Tribal Red/Black deck using pirates instead of wizards.

Also I have played MTG Arena and I do like it as a way of testing out cards and deck ideas, plus it taught me a few rules I had been using wrong in the actual game(oops!). My only issue with it is that I can't seem to find any way to challenge friends directly so I haven't been playing it much recently because you can only play so many games against random people using the freebie life gain deck.

Red/Blue wizards with Adeliz is a fun little deck that i drafted a bunch of times in the Dominaria draft format. 

And its actually one of the better decks in that format--perfectly viable and an archetype I never minded going into if I saw it was open. 

I'd go so far as to say its one of the top 3 Dominaria draft decks, giving Black/White and Black/Green a run for its money on a good draw.

_________

The problem is that Dominaria was a rather weak set overall, compared to the other sets that have been coming out lately (Ixalan and Ravnica had a much higher overall power-level to the card quality that came out of it)

So decks that are really good in Dominaria limited don't exactly hold up outside of Dominaria limited.   

Like Red/Blue is another one where I think the Ravnica version of that deck just completely outclasses the Dominaria one, with jump-start spells and Crackling Drakes and Niv-Mizzet throwing their weight around.

I do enjoy that Adeliz deck though. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

My win rate in draft has been high enough that I've been able to pretty much draft whenever I want off of free coins + prize gems without putting any real money into it.

I don't play enough to get much free coins, so the only way I'd draft repeatedly is by going 6-whatever all the time. (I play the casual mode since it's cheaper, even though it's less rewards per win.)

And I'm not good enough to do that. I'm basically bronze tier in limited (part of it is because I rare draft like crazy, but part of it is also because I'm not very good).

5 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

I don't play enough to get much free coins, so the only way I'd draft repeatedly is by going 6-whatever all the time. (I play the casual mode since it's cheaper, even though it's less rewards per win.)

And I'm not good enough to do that. I'm basically bronze tier in limited (part of it is because I rare draft like crazy, but part of it is also because I'm not very good).

I got bumped up from bronze to silver after getting 2 consecutive 7 win streaks and have been hovering their ever since.

Ixlalan I was really good at drafting.

With Dominaria and M19 I had a much harder time feeling out the format and didn't do as good.

With Ravnica I'm doing great again; I feel like I have a very intuitive grasp of this format and the way the archetypes play.

Something I've noticed about drafting Ravnica vs the previous few sets is that due to the higher overall powerlevel of the card pool (i.e. more  playable-to-great commons and uncommons; fewer cards that are bad filler or absolutely unplayable) and the high viability of 3 color decks due to all the manafixing available at common and uncommon rarity, you can more easily change the direction of your gameplan after the first few picks once you see that another archetype is more open.

i.e. back in Dominaria. If my first 6 picks in pack #1 were all black / green / white and pick 7, someone passed me a pack that still had Adeliz in it. I would no at that point that U/R wizards deck isn't being drafted and is wide open.  But with my picks being what they at that point I wouldn't try to go into it; I'd be concerned about not having enough playables at the end of the draft and having to run bad filler like sparring construct and Pardic Wanderer  to fill out my deck, if I tried to jump into a completely new archetype after already committing that many early picks to some combination of black / green / white

...whereas in Ravnica...

...If...lets say...my first 6 picks are black / green / white  and I see a pick 7, hypothesizzle tabling.

At that point I'd be like Alright--I'll take that and see if Izzet's open. Maybe we get passed a guildmage and a crackling drake and we wind up completely changing plans here.  Maybe black / green gets cut off but I see a lot of white--I can run hypothesizzle and still salvage some of my early picks into a jeskai build. Maybe green / white gets cut off but I start seeing alot more black--sure--I'll run hypothesizzle in Grixis. Maybe I just keep seeing what I've been seeing and this is a red herring--maybe I'm wasting good picks trying to jump into Izzet. Fine--I'm not gonna wind up short on playables if I have to go back to green / white /black. Only question is will I have enough playables to run a dedicated Golgari or dedicated Selesnya deck, or am i gonna wind up playing some kind of Abzahn???  

Much more flexible format.

Something else that's unusual for a draft format and that I really like is that it actually has a healthy mix of aggro (boros / fast izzet), midrange (golgari / selesnya), and control (dimir / top-heavy izzet). And its own little internal rock-paper-scissors  meta of okay--this is my build so far--do I need more cards that are good against aggro but bad against control, or more cards that are good against control but bad against aggro???

...Like alara limited had no decks that could pull off an explosive early game and never put you under any pressure to survive an aggro rush; it was a slow, grindy format where every deck was just trying to be as powerful as possible in the late-game that you would inevitably get to, because nothing in the format was really going to stop the game from getting there. 

Amonket limited was the exact opposite; a strictly aggro format with no viable slow build. The cheap efficient creatures in the set would just run you over on a slow draw, if you weren't interacting with the board in the early game. 

...Ixalan was low midrange leaning toward aggro (but not quite as donkey-nuts as ixalan), due to being chock full of cheap creatures that could punch well above their weightclass with the explore mechanic and tribal synergies.

...Dominaria was high midrange leaning towards control (but not quite as slow and durdly as Alara), due to the biggest early-game threats in the format being locked into uncommon rarity + the kicker mechanic providing far more common incentives to play the long game.

Thats most sets. The entirety of the set has a definitive pace that all of its viable archetypes fall near or into, and are generally built in mind with playing around.

Ravnica is the first time in forever that I've seen a viable mix of full aggro to full control and everything in between playable in limited.    

There's so much depth to this format. Its great.  

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

I got bumped up from bronze to silver after getting 2 consecutive 7 win streaks and have been hovering their ever since.

Ixlalan I was really good at drafting.

With Dominaria and M19 I had a much harder time feeling out the format and didn't do as good.

With Ravnica I'm doing great again; I feel like I have a very intuitive grasp of this format and the way the archetypes play.

I've actually hovered in the tier 4/5 silvers during Dominaria---and I wish we stayed there longer. Not because I was better at the format, but because I need more cards from the set. Ravnica isn't bad form a card perspective, but the cards I want are mostly rares rather than the bunch of Mythics I'm still missing from Dominaria.

11 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

I've actually hovered in the tier 4/5 silvers during Dominaria---and I wish we stayed there longer. Not because I was better at the format, but because I need more cards from the set. Ravnica isn't bad form a card perspective, but the cards I want are mostly rares rather than the bunch of Mythics I'm still missing from Dominaria.

At this point, I'm perfectly fine soaking up Ravnica packs + spending my  wildcards on anything I still need from the older sets.

Speaking of--after picking up some really nice standard golgari in recent drafts and prize packs--I've started maining green/black midrange in constructed. Still a work in progress. Playtesting a few unconventional cards, and running golgari guildgate as filler due to lack of a full play-set of overgrown tombs (dont wanna waste rare wildcards on tombs as long as I can still potentially pick more up in drafts and packs). I'd probably like to pick up a Vraska and another Find/Finality at some point; maybe craft another carnage tyrant.

This is what I'm working with atm:

(2) Status / Statue
(2) Cast Down
(2) Moment of Craving
(2) Seeker's Squire
(4) Merfolk Branchwalker
(1) Thorn Lieutenant
(2) Wildgrowth  Walker
(1) Assassin's Trophy
(2) Find/Finality
(2) Midnight Reaper 
(4) Jadelight Oracle 
(4) Ravenous Chupicabra 
(1) Vraska's Contempt
(3) Doom Whisperer
(1) Vivien Reid
(1) Underrealm Lich
(2) Carnage Tyrant
(1) Memorial to Folly
(7) Swamp
(7) Forest
(3) Golgari Guildgate
(1) Overgrown Tomb
(4) Woodland Cemetery 
(1) Evolving Wilds

Hows that look???

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 11/20/2018 at 6:37 AM, Shoblongoo said:

At this point, I'm perfectly fine soaking up Ravnica packs + spending my  wildcards on anything I still need from the older sets.

Speaking of--after picking up some really nice standard golgari in recent drafts and prize packs--I've started maining green/black midrange in constructed. Still a work in progress. Playtesting a few unconventional cards, and running golgari guildgate as filler due to lack of a full play-set of overgrown tombs (dont wanna waste rare wildcards on tombs as long as I can still potentially pick more up in drafts and packs). I'd probably like to pick up a Vraska and another Find/Finality at some point; maybe craft another carnage tyrant.

This is what I'm working with atm:

(2) Status / Statue
(2) Cast Down
(2) Moment of Craving
(2) Seeker's Squire
(4) Merfolk Branchwalker
(1) Thorn Lieutenant
(2) Wildgrowth  Walker
(1) Assassin's Trophy
(2) Find/Finality
(2) Midnight Reaper 
(4) Jadelight Oracle 
(4) Ravenous Chupicabra 
(1) Vraska's Contempt
(3) Doom Whisperer
(1) Vivien Reid
(1) Underrealm Lich
(2) Carnage Tyrant
(1) Memorial to Folly
(7) Swamp
(7) Forest
(3) Golgari Guildgate
(1) Overgrown Tomb
(4) Woodland Cemetery 
(1) Evolving Wilds

Hows that look???

I'm honestly just picking up cards that look nice right now---the deck I run for random constructed matches is a RDW deck running Torch Courier, which should tell you how janky it is. So I'm probably not the best person to ask for deck advice, that said:

Regarding your deck, my main worry is that you're running too many taplands (lands that come into play tapped)---since you have quite a bit of small creatures you want to play during the early turns---but as you've said you're just waiting to pick up overgrown tombs. (I'd suggest running less than 4 woodland cemetery as soon as you can get away with it, since hands with only those, guildgates, and memorial to folly is basically a hand full of tap lands, which will get your killed against decks that curve out.)

And, since you have quite a bit of medium manacost cards with extreme value---Carnage + Planeswalkers---have you considered running Druid of the Cowl? He's 1 mana more than Lanowar Elves, but those get utterly rekt by Chainwhirler, whereas he's a 1/3 body that buys you tons of time early game and accelerates into your big stuff.