So, I've said before that the one part of the series I've never touched is Tellius. I'd never really had a way to play it and it's been the one elusive part of the series as a result. Well, that changes tomorrow. I've finally gotten everything set up and I'll start on Tellius tomorrow with PoR.

One thing is that I'm thinking about trying Hard and using this save for RD on the second go round because I want to see what it's like without that first. Is Hard a good choice for PoR? What are the real obscure crap that's Lex's Brave Axe or Xavier's recruitment? What should I make sure I do in PoR for transfer for a second playthrough of RD (I ask mainly because I know that I can't really do both games twice)?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Western hard mode is basically normal mode due to mistranslation. It's absolutely managable for a first playthrough since I consider FE9's hard mode as the easiest hard mode in Fire Emblem.

The lord is great overall, mounted units are OP and the enemies are rather weak overall. Earlygame is probably the hardest part, especially chapter 5 and 6. 

For any transfer bonuses for FE10 you have to cap the unit's level and stat(s). Also reaching several A supports will affect a few conversations in the sequel as a normal playthrough will do.

That said it's one of very few FE parts where everyone is usable without too much effort thanks to the low difficulty.

Edited by Necrofantasia

- Units autopromote at level 21, with the exception of Ike, Volke and Sothe. The first two have fixed promotions, the latter has no promotion. You can still promote early by using a master seal.

- Have Ike at around level 20 around chapter 17. Don't have him underleveled and don't have him strenght or speed screwed. He is one of the few characters able to damage the final boss and can do it the best.

- Starting with chapter 8, you can forge once every chapter. It is optional, but increasing the weapons might of 5 and 25 hit is pretty useful and worth a few thousands of gold for the cheaper weapons (Steel Axe, Steel Lance, Hand Axe, Javelin, maybe Steel Sword).

- Stefan has a nasty recruitment in chapter 15. Look it up.

- No inventory until chapter 8. So droppable items can force you to throw one item away if your units inventory is full.

- The Knight Ward increases your Cavaliers/Knights/Paladins/Generals speed growth of 30%. In combination with BEXP, it is totally ridicoulous.

- Chapter 19 offers a tricky way to deal with one part of the enemy forces. They give you hints and you can just kill the Daein boss to end the chapter, but consider looking it up in the Hints and Secret section.

- There is a specific fight you can flee from. It is optional and difficult as relies heavily on luck and skill distribution. Losing means replaying a large chapter again, which is why many just consider to skip the fight and flee.

- You can give Ike his mastery skill, but for the final chapter, a combination of Wrath and Resolve is more effective. You get both skills only once.

Edited by Aircalipoor

Okay, first real gripe for the game that I would argue is annoying.

Playing hard and I've got to Chapter 3. Marcia shows up, flies to the ship and dies in the enemy phase because everyone hit her. What do I even do about that? Even if I get enough up to her that she'll live because less enemies were around, it's likely that she'll charge off and get killed anyway. Any recommendations?

Why giving bosskills to Titania?

She's already promoted, your "Jeigan".

Also little spoiler Shinon and Gatrie won't stay for too long in the group, so give the exp to someone who's neither one of these two, nor Titania.

As for Marcia it's luckbased in the first playthrough. She appears, if you crossed a certain line in the map. If you place Titania or Shinon on the border, and in the next turn press forward with them, they can endanger the situation. Marcia definitely survives one enemy phase.

Edited by Necrofantasia

10 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Why giving bosskills to Titania?

She's already promoted, your "Jeigan".

Mainly because I'm intending on using her and know she's supposed to be consistent. I was intending on getting most of the army kills early on but with the way the maps deployment's been it's a bit awkward trying to get units like Ike, Oscar or Boyd more exp in good time (not like they haven't but still). Maybe I should slow down.

Edit: Gotten to Chapter 8 today and as part of that saw Crimea get invaded by a nation from the east, Greil die and the party find a nation of cat people. They are as defensive as expected. Also had a bunch of levels, some good, some definitely not.

Edited by Dayni

Okay, So on chapter 8. Really feeling the lack of experience on Boyd and Oscar, both of whom probably should be level 10 right now (Especially when Oscar's been screwed so far with his strength. His defences are real good though, both above average, like near everyone's Res stats.). Guess that's my fault for not getting them enough earlier on.

Also, Titania got a perfect level on one of my failures. Well fuck that's just sickening.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

"cat people" are LAGUZ and they're awesome and badass and you will respect them.

But are they always as defensive as in Chapter 7? Is there a specific name for the cat tribe?

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

But are they always as defensive as in Chapter 7? Is there a specific name for the cat tribe?

They get better. They're actually the friendliest laguz. Wait until you meet Ranulf.

Beast tribe.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

They get better. They're actually the friendliest laguz. Wait until you meet Ranulf.

Beast tribe.

Ranulf was already met in that chapter. They're just defending their home, that's why I call them defensive. I'm more surprised that there were so few from Daein dead after Chapter 7.

Also, Reignited's so close eeeee.

I hadn't really gotten on much the last few days, sorry for the lack of updates. I have gotten to Chapter 9 and I can guess how to handle it but how to do so quickly, especially with wanting Mist to get exp.

As an aside, I also have Melee, which is mainly for multiplayer with the niece. So, I unlocked Marth and on the same day figured out what the C stick does. I now understand why he's a good character in smash, maybe at his peak here. Holy crap the C stick is mad useful.

Monday: So, I know I'm supposed to be all over PoR. Thing is, something came out last week. Something about a purple dragon or other. Well, it's here and I'm officially on the hype line. So this might be what I jump at for a bit while I still can.

Edited by Dayni

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been a while, but finally I got round to playing some PoR again, clearing Chapter 9.

Highlights include Mia getting a great level despite my having no plans to use her, Boyd still getting speed screwed, me failing to avoid giving Rolf a kill and Titania nearly dying to a misclick with the boss while I tried to check the boss's attack as she got hit with counter and only didn't die because she's essentially god and dodged (She's got 16 speed now. Why do you people recommend against using her?).

Aside from that I will say the scene with Ranulf giving us a lot of money is among the best handled, Ike's past is still a mystery and I have finally forged something: An Iron Axe called It's Ya Boyd with more might and hit.

I'm also wondering if we're about to get endless boat maps. Probably not. I doubt I'll play tomorrow either sadly.

13 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I have finally forged something: An Iron Axe called It's Ya Boyd with more might and hit.

Best name ever.

I made him a pink iron axe named Squeaky once.

Congrats on getting to play Tellius. Hope you enjoy it.

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I'm also wondering if we're about to get endless boat maps. Probably not.

Not to say too much, but fortunately that won't be the case. You do go to battle on the sea, but the time on the waves isn't the worst in FE, no Act 2 SoV.

My opinion on the quality of the sea fighting, spoilering it if you aren't interested in reading it, is as follows:

Spoiler

The first battle in novel in its approach I think. On subsequent runs, maybe the novelty wears off, but it isn't bad. Delay the end of the battle for a few turns to trigger a reinforcement or two with something like a Secret Book.

The second battle is solid overall. Recruiting Astrid might be a problem, but only on the first turn. Tip if you need it, Shove and Smite Ike all you can for a 1-turn recruit. The NPCs have no reward behind them, so don't worry if they die. 

41 minutes ago, Dayni said:

(She's got 16 speed now. Why do you people recommend against using her?).

We don't, she will be great during the whole game. It's just that she's your Jeigan, so you can end up wasting a lot of early game exp on her. This is important because there are very very few promotional items in Tellius and you don't want to use them anyway, unless your a healer.

3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

It's just that she's your Jeigan, so you can end up wasting a lot of early game exp on her. This is important because there are very very few promotional items in Tellius and you don't want to use them anyway, unless your a healer.

Honestly though, I don't think you get much of a choice with using Titania early on.

For Chapters 1 & 2, you've three other characters to feed EXP to, that is it.

Chapter 3 gets rid of two of them, and replaces them with a questionable prepromote and a Knight who is already highly leveled for this point and won't get a ton. Only Ike needs EXP, and he certainly doesn't need every last drop.

C4 gives Soren, for a whopping 2 units who can load up on EXP easily. On a map that is open and covered in enemies, so it is very dangerous for Ike, Soren, and Rhys. Either you play it real slow, or you use Gatrie and or Titania to tank stuff.

C5 returns the missing duo of Oscar and Boyd, but there is enough action here you can use Titania and still be able to feed Ike, Soren, Boyd, and Oscar some levels. I tend to send all three of those but Ike to the west and then use Ike, Shinon, Titania, and Gatrie facing south, so that I can kill the boss at some point.

C6 is good for EXP for those who need it, Titania is largely optional.

C7, Titania makes getting rid of the Thief if you care real easy. Otherwise, I don't think she is absolutely needed here.

C8, you practically need everyone for this fight, which means everyone will be getting levels. Normally even on Hard with Titania use, I tend to get Ike to level 20 here, well before his promotion time. I can't see much of an alternative to Titania for defending the south entrance, or killing the boss.

After C8, one no longer really needs Titania and you can go slow. Although she is certainly still quite useful, mounted units being bonkers in PoR and all.

I get the impression Dayni is an experienced player, who knows how to moderate Jagen use. And feeding Titania specifically boss kills speaks of intimate knowledge of FE to me, as it echoes the "feed Marcus bosskills" thing in FE7, since even as a prepromote, they'll get plenty of EXP from it.

Unlike in most other parts you can use your "Jeigen" till the end of the game because the enemies will have low stats.
Prepromoted enemies have worse stats than tier ones except in very lategame.

Titania has reached a point when she can't ORKO everyone anymore, so she works perfect for preparing kills. 
However on the other hand she's not needed anymore.
Chapter 8 was the chokepoint when you were low on ressources and units.
Now you can forge and will get a lot of good units in the upcoming chapters.

Edited by Necrofantasia

On 12/22/2018 at 11:45 PM, Dragoncat said:

Best name ever.

I made him a pink iron axe named Squeaky once.

I kind of wish it would squeak off enemies if you did that.

It was plenty useful in chapter 10, bit it's gotten a lot of use (As in it's on 29 uses or something now) so I slowed down a bit after that.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:04 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not to say too much, but fortunately that won't be the case. You do go to battle on the sea, but the time on the waves isn't the worst in FE, no Act 2 SoV.

My opinion on the quality of the sea fighting, spoilering it if you aren't interested in reading it, is as follows:

Well, if Chapter 12's any indication, I'm in danger.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:16 AM, RexBolt said:

We don't, she will be great during the whole game. It's just that she's your Jeigan, so you can end up wasting a lot of early game exp on her. This is important because there are very very few promotional items in Tellius and you don't want to use them anyway, unless your a healer.

You're not wrong, she's near level 6 right now.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:10 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I get the impression Dayni is an experienced player, who knows how to moderate Jagen use. And feeding Titania specifically boss kills speaks of intimate knowledge of FE to me, as it echoes the "feed Marcus bosskills" thing in FE7, since even as a prepromote, they'll get plenty of EXP from it.

Well she used to. She hasn't gotten the last few bosses, but those who've gotten the experience have levelled well from it.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, Necrofantasia said:

Unlike in most other parts you can use your "Jeigen" till the end of the game because the enemies will have low stats.
Prepromoted enemies have worse stats than tier ones except in very lategame.

Titania has reached a point when she can't ORKO everyone anymore, so she works perfect for preparing kills. 
However on the other hand she's not needed anymore.
Chapter 8 was the chokepoint when you were low on ressources and units.
Now you can forge and will get a lot of good units in the upcoming chapters.

Forging's alright but I don't think I have so much as to forge every chapter.

Titania herself has consistenly levelled well so she's a perfectly safe option right now.

Okay, got some progress yesterday with Chapter 10 and 11, before failing on 12 because Marcia is terrible at levelling anything and keeps getting doubled.

Chapter 10 I didn't bother going stealth on and took too long with (It was annoying to not be allowed control Nephenee or Kieran there), while chapter 11 was a lot easier than I expected, even after I realised BK was in that map because I remembered that one map from Heroes and screamed in terror. Nephenee has levelled Strength, Skill and Speed in every level so far so she's a hard keep for me, Kieran was pretty good, Boyd's actually getting speed and is level 17 (Not as much as Soren or Iliyana mind), Zihark seemed like he was alright in my attempt on 12 (He got no chance to fight in 11 barring critting the one vigilante who followed after him) and 12 has been terrible because Wind is as strong as Thunder (I should use Elwind next time) and Rolf has no experience.

Edit: How can I use Sothe with these bases?

Edited by Dayni

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Edit: How can I use Sothe with these bases?

You don't really. Sothe is here if you didn't get Volke or he was killed but still want to opens doors/chests. He's lvl 1 and his Blossom skill may give him better growths like a villager's, but also halfs his exp. He's also unable to promote in this game and there's no way for him to fight all the way to endgame since he doesn't get Lethality. 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, RexBolt said:

You don't really. Sothe is here if you didn't get Volke or he was killed but still want to opens doors/chests. He's lvl 1 and his Blossom skill may give him better growths like a villager's, but also halfs his exp. He's also unable to promote in this game and there's no way for him to fight all the way to endgame since he doesn't get Lethality. 

Well that's a shame.

Also, happy new year to everybody out there!

So, I got some pretty decent progress this time, beating both boat maps and the map after that too. These maps had something to kind of mess with you, such as the bosses (Chapter 12's boss frustrated me because of Corrosion, especially when it affected It's Ya Boyd, I had to reset once on 13 because of the boss 1-rounding Boyd with a double and a crit in that and Chapter 14's boss didn't even matter because 1-range Killer Axe is still 1-range.), the annoying laguz enemies (though they became less of an issue over time) and tight placement where I've risked units too much. Aside from all that, Jill and Astrid have come into the team pretty well so far, Marcia's out because she couldn't fight well and her levels sucked, Titania finally got a level with only 2 stats, nobody's promoted yet and Mist is still below level 10. On the story, well Goldoa was surprisingly not willing to execute everyone when the boat crashed, Sanaki running off onto Elincia's ship is funny when you realise that the game over is more likely because everyone would have been screaming about trying to find Sanaki, Naeleasa is pretty much Travant if he were a muscley anime villain and could fly himself, Lekain is essentially Sanaki's angry dog, Makalov is still not on Peri's level and Reyson looks so angry all the time.

Also Ike officially has more Res than Def. I am not joking.

15 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also Ike officially has more Res than Def. I am not joking.

He does actually have equal growths here- 40%, but he has 5 base Def to 0 base Res. Def screwed and or Res blessed.

Naeleasa is pretty much Travant if he were a muscley anime villain and could fly himself

Well just as Elibe was inspired by Archanea, and Magvel by Valentia, Tellius certainly derives some inspiration from Jugdral. Naesala is for sure a case of this, and I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination to consider Tibarn his contrasting Quan. But that is just me.

Titania finally got a level with only 2 stats, nobody's promoted yet and Mist is still below level 10.

You're approaching the time when you should be reaching promotion on some units, try to get most of your crew there by like Chapter 18. Not that far off, but Chapter 17 you'll see is a... lengthy battle (be sure everyone is stocked up on durable weapons for it).

As for Mist, the one luck-based battle can be made a little more in your favor if you have her trained. But that battle is a long way off at this point, and really all she needs to do is Physics for most or all of it. 

If you want to level her faster, well if you have the spare slot for Volke in battles where enemy Priests carry Physics, you can have him easily steal them. They give 22 EXP a use, double that of Heal. And I think Physics is somewhat common on enemy healers in this game.