Least Favorite FE Character?

Sub Zero

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peri is a pretty obvious one. I just find her a failed character since she goes against everything Corrin and Xander are supposed to stand for yet is embraced by them without a second thought. Being bad on your own is already a negative quality but this gets worse when dragging others down with you.

Barst and Gharnef are my least favorites not because they have traits I dislike but because they hardly have any traits at all. They bore me intensely and it annoys me that they seem both well treated by IS and decently liked and respected in the fanbase despite their lack of...everything. 

Garon: if something is wrong with Fates it can usually be traced back to king Garon. Garon's biggest crime isn't any of his actions as a villain but what he has done to Fates story. 

Out of all characters Asugi is the one I respect the least. I don't like Rhajat and Cealdori being clones but at least I get it. Cordelia and Tharja are one of the most iconic Awakening characters. Gaius on the other hand has never been the phenomenon these two were and despite his high place on one poll is rarely praised or even talked about which means Asugi has no justification to exist. 

Faye oh boy where do I begin. SoV’s cast is already pretty lackluster in terms of depth but they’re all generally pretty likable and inoffensive(which is kind of a problem in it of itself but that’s a topic for another day) so I don’t mind it all too much but then we get to Faye. Literally her entire character can be summed up in two words “loves” “alm” and THAT’S it. Every thought, action, or dialogue she has is all in service to that central trait. Now this wouldn’t be so bad if there was a reason for this unhealthy obsession but as far as I can tell there isn’t one. Hell no one even calls her out on it. Well I mean a couple do but whenever it is brought up it’s just glossed over. Also the fact that she’s a b*tch to silque in her supports is not helping her case at all. Keep in mind when I use “too b*tchy” as a knock against Faye it’s coming from the guy who’s favorite character is Severa of all things. Here’s the difference though at least I can understand why Severa is the way she is and it makes sense. She has an inferiority complex so to cope she she covers it up with a wall of arrogance and self-praise. It’s a superiority complex to cover up an inferiority complex. Faye, on the other hand, is just a b*tch for really no reason other than “they’re not alm” and again that wouldn’t be too much of a bad thing if I understood why she loves the man in the first place. Ugh Faye just makes me mad. Though her supports with Alm are kind of okay and she has a lot of potential given her recruitment dialogue with celica but that potential is sadly lost.

Edited by Otts486

This is definitely not the correct thread, and there are probably other threads like this, but I'll participate nonetheless.

So far, my least favorites in the series are Xander and Azura.  Yes, there are some good elements to them, but as they are main characters and also a driving force for the plot, those are the roles where they really need to shine.  But instead, they fail horribly.  In these roles, Azura is little more than an exposition bot (because doing any more would break that cool aura of mystery and neutrality she's supposed to have), and Xander makes certain decisions in all paths that both needlessly extend the length of the story and make things worse for literally everyone (yet we're supposed to think he's wise, brave, and honorable for making these decisions).  Yes, there are less likable characters, and yes there are characters who are probably written worse, but main characters fall much harder than forgettable side characters; I can ignore Setsuna, but I can't ignore Xander.

Aside from that, I'll go game-by-game.

FE4: Sylvia.  I'm not a fan of the sexually promiscuous and outright horny 13 year-old angle, and I also don't like the petty love triangle crap between her and Fury over Lewyn (I never liked that stupidly anime conflict of two girls fighting over a guy).  I will say that I like her interaction with Claude in Chapter 4, but I just wish their actual familial relationship was clearer (goddammit, Kaga).

FE 1/11: Camus.  I feel like I just don't like this kind of character, or maybe I have a problem with the approach IS always takes with this archetype.  To be fair though, I didn't list Eldigan, but I also think Eldigan is the one Camus that was actually done well.  But keep in mind, I only dislike the original Shadow Dragon iteration of Camus; I do like him when he's Zeke and Sirius.

FE 2/15: Nomah.  You thought I was gonna list Alm or Celica, didn't you?  Or maybe Berkut or Faye?  The difference is that I got some entertainment out of all those characters, even if it wasn't intentional.  But Nomah's just a useless sack of shit.  There's nothing interesting about him, and Echoes doesn't even do much to help him with that.  He's just a boring old man who probably could've been left behind at the monastery and no one would notice his absence.

FE 12: Kris.  Why does my avatar have to be a complete kiss-ass to Marth?  And why is it that this random auxiliary unit is more important than the goddamn king who led the army and liberated the entire continent?  Answer is he/she isn't, but the narrative thinks he/she is for no reason.  If Kris was handled like Robin, they would've been a substantially better avatar.

FE 13: Either Severa or Validar.  The only reason Severa might be better than Validar is because of her personality in Fates.  So Validar is obviously an uninteresting antagonist who mostly serves as a foil for Robin's conflicts, I feel like that's all I need to say about him.  Severa is such an irredeemable dick to everyone except Noire.  Why the hell is she only kind to Noire?  Is Noire just that sorry a specimen that not even the rotten Severa could bring herself to be a jerk to her?  Anyway, Severa is basically a school yard bully to all the kids (aside from Noire) and a spoiled brat to her parents.

I'll shake it up and list a character from each game I've olayed or seen an LP of...

Shadow Dragon - Ahhh, it's so difficult because I'm so biased towards them! Umm...Malledus. Nothing in particular against him, he just doesn't...y'know.

New Mystery of the Emblem - Kris. Please don't get me started on him.

Awakening - Sully. I just find her very annoying.

Fates - Nyx. Jakob. Forrest. Dwyer. Reina. Izana. Yukimura. Mikoto. Velouria. Beruka. Silas. CORRIN. Male Kana.

Echoes - Leon.

Path of Radiance - Illyana. Mia. Oscar. Boyd. Soren. A few more that I can't remember the name of.

Radiant Dawn - Ike. The above mentioned.

Sacred Stones - Lute. Ephraim. Eirika.

Blazing Blade - You know...I don't think there's anyone that I don't like, or at least, aren't neutral towards. If I had to really scrape the bottom of the barrel, I'd say maybe Lyn, Hector and Karla, but the aforementioned two do have their moments, such as Hector when he interacts with Eliwood, and Lyn when the writers give a damn about her post chapter 10.

There (surprisingly, considering what a critical person I can be at times) aren't a lot of FE characters I just flat-out dislike. I find a lot of them have at least one redeeming feature, be it an interesting support, a useful battle feature or even just a very appealing design. I really have to think to come up with some characters I truly dislike, but here's a couple.

Validar/Iago - Hands down, my least favorite villains in FE. So completely boring and lacking in any kind of backstory, unique twists or even memorable attacks or weapons. Makes me long for the likes of Nergal, Lyon and Gangrel whenever either of these two are on screen.

Conquest Takumi - I'll make this clear, I definitely don't hate Birthright or Revelations Takumi. He was the second unit I married, and I love his kid to the end of the Earth. But Conquest Takumi is so utterly hateable with his empty taunts and broken bow that I just want to smash his face with a silver club every time he shows up. 

Hayato - A much more boring clone of Ricken with none of the mage's charm. When I first played through Birthright I was astonished at how similar he was to Ricken, and waited the whole game and then some for an of explanation.

Isodora - So forgettable and dull that I think the only reason she hasn't shown up on this thread yet is because everyone forgot she existed. At least in my mind she's pretty much the only unit, playable or not, in FE7 who deserves to be forgotten.

Clarine - A non-charming, annoying Serra. I've only played through FE6 once, though, so I don't remember much about her to begin with. 

1 hour ago, Otts486 said:

Faye oh boy where do I begin. SoV’s cast is already pretty lackluster in terms of depth but they’re all generally pretty likable and inoffensive(which is kind of a problem in it of itself but that’s a topic for another day) so I don’t mind it all too much but then we get to Faye. Literally her entire character can be summed up in two words “loves” “alm” and THAT’S it. Every thought, action, or dialogue she has is all in service to that central trait. Now this wouldn’t be so bad if there was a reason for this unhealthy obsession but as far as I can tell there isn’t one. Hell no one even calls her out on it. Well I mean a couple do but whenever it is brought up it’s just glossed over. Also the fact that she’s a b*tch to silque in her supports is not helping her case at all. Keep in mind when I use “too b*tchy” as a knock against Faye it’s coming from the guy who’s favorite character is Severa of all things. Here’s the difference though at least I can understand why Severa is the way she is and it makes sense. She has an understandable reason to be cold and abrasive. Faye, on the other hand, is just a b*tch for really no reason other than “they’re not alm” and again that wouldn’t be too much of a bad thing if I understood why she loves the man in the first place. Ugh Faye just makes me mad. Though her supports with Alm are kind of okay and she has a lot of potential given her recruitment dialogue with celica but that potential is sadly lost.

I like Faye, personally- and I'm starting to feel like the only one who does, though I totally get why people wouldn't like her. You bring up a great point in that she never makes it clear why she likes Alm so much, though. I mean, he's a nice guy, but there's no real reason for Faye to latch on to him to the point where she ignores or dismisses other people when they try to approach her. 

Subaki; You know that person who thinks really highly of himself, talks other people down and when someone points out a flaw they start acting like a crybaby? Subaki is that kind of person in my eyes. Granted I haven't read all of his supports so maybe he is better in a few supports (and if he is I would like to know). But when your first impression on me is that you think highly of yourself and act so condescending to other people I don't want to know more about you. Subaki might be the only fictional character that I hate along with Seymour from ff10.

Kris/Robin/Corrin; While they all have different problems and I dislike some more then others the main reason for disliking them is the same. Because Fire Emblem (almost) never gives you a choice to decide what kind of character you want to be, yet the games are still dialogue heavy so having a silent character would stick out they decide the next best thing. Give the avatar character the most bland personality ever and have everyone worship him/her. And I don't like it.

There might be some other units that I dislike for one reason or another being it most Fates characters since most of them made a horrendous first impression on me, Ogier & Vyland for being useless units, Armour knights for being bad in general or any character that feels like their main purpose is being attractive rather then being well written character or a good unit. But I don't dislike them that much to go into detail.

47 minutes ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

I like Faye, personally- and I'm starting to feel like the only one who does, though I totally get why people wouldn't like her. You bring up a great point in that she never makes it clear why she likes Alm so much, though. I mean, he's a nice guy, but there's no real reason for Faye to latch on to him to the point where she ignores or dismisses other people when they try to approach her. 

Really my issue with Faye(and about 80% of Sov's cast in general really) just boils to the lack of any depth or nuance. It wouldn't be all that hard to fix her character either. All it takes is just one support chain honestly where someone just calls her out on her weird obsession for alm or even better a support with celica would've been amazing and there are so many avenues you can go with that. Like I said she has potential to be a great character but the writers/devs were too lazy to put any effort into it. 

1 hour ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

There (surprisingly, considering what a critical person I can be at times) aren't a lot of FE characters I just flat-out dislike. I find a lot of them have at least one redeeming feature, be it an interesting support, a useful battle feature or even just a very appealing design. I really have to think to come up with some characters I truly dislike, but here's a couple.

I'm with you on this one actually. Faye really is the only FE character hell fictional character in general I legitimately dislike. A lot of characters that I don't have a fondness for I'm usually just indifferent towards. It honestly takes a good deal for me to legitimately dislike a character.

1 hour ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

Conquest Takumi - I'll make this clear, I definitely don't hate Birthright or Revelations Takumi. He was the second unit I married, and I love his kid to the end of the Earth. But Conquest Takumi is so utterly hateable with his empty taunts and broken bow that I just want to smash his face with a silver club every time he shows up. 

I actually really like conquest takumi. I loved how we got to see how much his hatred for nohr mixed with his growing inferiority complex slowly drive him insane to the point where he has fully succumbed to those emotions that he's not even human anymore. The execution could've been a little better but I feel it was done well enough.

35 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

I actually really like conquest takumi. I loved how we got to see how much his hatred for nohr mixed with his growing inferiority complex slowly drive him insane to the point where he has fully succumbed to those emotions that he's not even human anymore. The execution could've been a little better but I feel it was done well enough.

Spoiler

Well, I'll admit, I was taken by surprise with the time he jumped off a fortress, and I did actively wonder what happened to him for a short time. I also initially found it really underwhelming that a character we've already battled several times was the game's final boss, although all three endgame chapters in Fates are a ton of fun and have amazing atmosphere. 

13 minutes ago, Farina's Pegasus said:
  Hide contents

Well, I'll admit, I was taken by surprise with the time he jumped off a fortress, and I did actively wonder what happened to him for a short time. I also initially found it really underwhelming that a character we've already battled several times was the game's final boss, although all three endgame chapters in Fates are a ton of fun and have amazing atmosphere. 

that's actually one of the reason I like takumi as a boss so much cause it was built up to throughout the entire game and then when he finally shows up at the end it is(at least to me) legitimately surprising and disturbing to see the takumi I once new(I played birthright first) turn into that horrifying monstrosity due to his own hatred and despair. and Yeah if there's one things fates' is good at it's hyping you up for a final boss fight.

Disregarding Fates as many of them are the lowest hanging fruits and in a league of their own, I'm going to say Alm.

His role in the story is downright detrimental and seems to work against the themes that it wanted to convey. I know plenty of people disagree with this, but I simply cannot get over that this is the game that tried to include a theme of classism and then use Alm as some kind of example of it being wrong when he gets weapons only he can use because of his special blood, and he can get past an invisible wall that literally separates kings from peasants - without it, the Deliverance would've died beneath Rigel Castle, stuck between the gate and the wall until they starved. Alm kind of proves the villains right in that you are indeed born special. Sure, Alm grew up as a normal kid, but at the end of the day it is his special blood that separates him from the rabble; Tobin isn't the main character for a reason. 

He never faces any setbacks or defeats that would force him to change his way of thinking or cause him to change as a person. Alm starts as the complete package and finishes as the complete package. This would've been less frustrating if he had had an interesting personality, but he doesn't. He's a kind soul and a good fighter in no need of change, with no interesting character dynamics or relationships.

You'd think they'd try to make his relationship with Celica more intriguing, but we get one prologue scene of them cementing the fact that yupp, they've got special birthmarks and are thus connected and then Celica has to leave for seven years. They then have a painfully forced fight and...why am I supposed to care about these two's relationship, again? To make matters even worse, Alm's perfection detracts from Celica's importance to the overall plot. Alm is the one who pushes Rigel out, defeats Rudolf, saves Celica and kills Duma, whereas Celica effectively deals with the sidequests. 

In a game all about duality, I would've thought it vital to balance Alm and Celica's roles in terms of importance and representation, but whereas Alm soldiers on without ever being wrong or challenged, Celica is manipulated, gets captured, is forced to apologize to Alm for being wrong and overall has a lack of impact on the plot. We can see Alm influencing her with his way of seeing the world, and her accepting it, but we never see the opposite happen. 

A part of the problem with Alm's utter domination of Rigel and the lack of obstacle he faces can be attributed to the horrendous use of the worldbuilding the game itself establishes. Zofia is one of the most messed up nations in the series, having suffered famines, droughts, bandit raids, a civil war, an occupation, and the living dead ravaging the land. It also has a population that is notorious for being lazy, weak, and corrupt...yet this is never really shown in the war. There is no mention of  this once the group begins pushing into Rigel. The mentions of morale, tactics, supplies, lack of training, unknown and harsh terrain, etc. get lip service at best and no mention at worst. However, while this is not directly Alm's fault, it does negatively impact his character, just like how the nonsensical plot curse of Fates makes Azura come across as a complete idiot.

Sure, there are many other characters who one could argue are worse, even discounting Fates. Nergal is the least efficient villain in the series who keeps letting people go and can't even keep a tortured man restrained in his own seat of power, everyone in Magvel either wants to be Ephraim or sleep with him, and Faye's inclusion in Echoes is as confusing as her character is appalling. However, I don't think anyone quite reaches Alm's level where he just takes his own game and breaks it upon his knee.

Edited by Thane

4 hours ago, Farina's Pegasus said:

Hayato - A much more boring clone of Ricken with none of the mage's charm. When I first played through Birthright I was astonished at how similar he was to Ricken, and waited the whole game and then some for an of explanation.

Hayato is in a very weird place for me. I definitely hold it against him that he's so much like Ricken. With the same gimmick, same color scheme and same avatar support he's only a hair away from being an outright clone like the second gen losers. Considering Ricken was kinda unpopular the main design philosophy behind Hayato was probably laziness rather than fanservice. So all in all Hayato is very hard to respect. 

But taken on his own I actually think Hayato is the better Ricken. He's more expressive with his pouting and growling and he seems actually competent rather than Ricken desperately wanting to prove he's competent. The relation with Fuuga and his family backstory also adds some depth that Ricken lacked. 

Peri is the obvious pick, but thats beating a dead horse at this point.

He might not be my absolute favourite, but Rudolf slowly made his way to the bottom of the barrel for me. There are some faults in Rufolf's plan, but I can accept that. He's a nes villain so they did't have much to go on.  I don't think they had to make him do his plan in the cruelest, mean spirited and cowardly way possible though. Giving him an adopted son just made some of his actions look very bad.

Dangling a prize infront of Berkut all his life only to yank it away at the last second is already kinda nasty, but that has a plot reason. Not telling Berkut the truth in his last moments had no reason. He had the time to explain everything to his guard captain, but he did't care enough to tell his adopted son? Maybe Berkut would't have gone completely insane if his uncle actually took the time to tell stuff. Because now Berkut heard that his uncle died followed by a random stranger telling him that that same uncle also lied to him all his life. To me it felt like Rudolf just did't have the guts to own up to his own actions.

Not telling Berkut when he had the chance was a very cowardly move on Rudolfs part. His treatment of Berkut other then that also leaves something to desire. Rufolf is cold at best to him and he doesn't really seem to give much of an effort in making sure Berkut doesn't grow up to be a total jerk.

42 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Hayato is in a very weird place for me. I definitely hold it against him that he's so much like Ricken. With the same gimmick, same color scheme and same avatar support he's only a hair away from being an outright clone like the second gen losers. Considering Ricken was kinda unpopular the main design philosophy behind Hayato was probably laziness rather than fanservice. So all in all Hayato is very hard to respect. 

But taken on his own I actually think Hayato is the better Ricken. He's more expressive with his pouting and growling and he seems actually competent rather than Ricken desperately wanting to prove he's competent. The relation with Fuuga and his family backstory also adds some depth that Ricken lacked. 

I like Ricken for the same reason I do Faye- they're both just kind of adorable to me. Though I do find it odd that Ricken looks and acts and talks like a pre-teen, and yet can marry other units who must be at least in their mid-to-late teens. Hayato fixes this a bit because he seems more mature to me than Ricken does, though still seeming like an improved version of an existing character.

5 minutes ago, Sasori said:

There are some faults in Rufolf's plan

I'd call this a major understatement. Rudolf would need prophetic vision to know his plan had even a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding. Zofia was pretty much gone as a country by the start of the game, so him expecting them to rise up just to kill him and then Duma is asinine.

Matthis, not only a bad unit but... everything about him is bad! Also poor Julian didn't deserve how this guy thread him and let not forget he can kills his sister

Silas, I hated how he auto proclaims our best friend, like... guy if you really was Corrin best friend, why Corrin forget you? Anyway, I didn't liked his auto proclamation. Also, this guy thread some of the girls really bad!! I feel so bad for let him marrying Felicia in my 1st file (I ended deleting the file and replaying the route just to save the poor girl), and his supports with Hana are terrible too... He acts like a good guy but is a jerk with some of the girls for no reason? (Yes I know Jacob acts very bad with some girls too, but the difference is that Jacob is  a self proclaimed jerk, unlike Silas who acts like a good person and do bad in the end)

Owain/Odin/whatever other name he calls himself. I find him annoying, that's all, I'm not a fan of characters with his personality: happy and annoying and He just doesn't shut up! Like... ugh... Not my type of character, you can be a large ham and not be annoying

And some of the villains, but they are villains so, I'm not ganna mention them

It's a tie between Gaius and Tharja.

Gaius just has the most annoying gimmick in the world, and Tharja is a genuinely bad person, and not in a fun way. It's baffling that anyone would let her on the team.

Honorable mentions go to Corrin and Ephraim.

EDIT: And how could I forget Peri? Jesus, whoever thought she was a good idea should be banned from the writing team. She's an even more extreme Tharja in the "just a bad person, why are they still here?" category.

Edited by Slumber