The Detective Pikachu movie trailer came out and it's the most cursed thing ever

Armagon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting the impression that people are either "oh YES" and "oh NO", but this is gonna make bank, especially worldwide.

Someone @ me know when a random youtuber makes a Danny DeVito dub

That first trailer is like, five times better than the first trailer I was imagining in my head. In fact my top bet was that they would have the talking Pikachu, yet fail to establish that Pokemon in the world do not talk, which is the whole hook of this particular story.

Honestly these pokemon look great to me. Kind of like Gremlins who are still kind of cute creatures after morphing from Mogwais. Except for Greninja and that can't really be helped. The visual image of Pokemon that are the size of humans terrifies me unless they look like an already large creature. Charizard, that's a dragon. Dodrio, that's an ostrich. Greninja, that's a goddamn frog who can stand up and steal my hat. I can't deal with that.

Ryan Reynolds just doing his thing is also great. Pikachu is 100% going to be the highlight of the film.

Edited by Glennstavos

I am in utter disbelief that is movie even exists in a state like this. I never once in my life imagined a hyper-realistic live action Pokemon movie, but the brand alone means it's gonna make millions anyway so I guess it's here to stay. I probably won't see it though. I do enjoy the Pokemon games, but I don't consider myself a big enough fan to want to see a movie like this.

12 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ryan Reynolds just doing his thing is also great. Pikachu is 100% going to be the highlight of the film

Oh definitely. I'm already loving his preformance

35 minutes ago, Johann said:

I'm getting the impression that people are either "oh YES" and "oh NO", but this is gonna make bank, especially worldwide.

I'm on both because i do think the movie itself will be good (or at least decent) but as i've said before, furby Jigglypuff is forever burned into my retinas and Psyduck looks even more dead inside.

At the very least, it'll be better than I Choose You

.________________

One thing i'm not seeing a lot of people talk about are the background details. They're so good. You see posters for all the different regions (pretty sure there was a Sinnoh League poster there) and it adds so much to the world. They could've just gone with the city backdrop and called it a day but no, it feels like a genuine part of the Pokemon world.

19 minutes ago, Florete said:

I expected it to look awful.

But...it doesn't. I actually thought it looked really good. What the hell? How did they make this look good?

Especially Mr. Mime! One would expect a realistic Mr. Mime to look terrifying, but it actually looks good!

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They could've just gone with the city backdrop and called it a day but no, it feels like a genuine part of the Pokemon world.

Only way my suspension of disbelief isn't shattered is if this game takes place in/near Castelia. You gonna have a Pokemon detective story and not have it take place in the Pokemon world's version of New York? Should be a bunch of Lillipups and Purrloins walking around.

Anyway, I almost guarantee this will be better than all of the animated movies.

Also, realistic Mr. Mime has been one of the nightmare fuel memes for realistic Pokemon for a long time. For him to be not the scariest thing on the planet in this trailer is actually a point in the movie's favor.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Only way my suspension of disbelief isn't shattered is if this game takes place in Castelia. You gonna have a Pokemon detective story and not have it take place in the Pokemon world's version of New York? Should be a bunch of Lillipups and Purrloins walking around.

Anyway, I almost guarantee this will be better than all of the animated movies.

Welp, the trailer did say the setting was in a place called Ryme City (i hope i spelled that right). I think that's the setting in the actual Detective Pikachu game, though i don't know if it's ever specified what region it takes place in.

It actually looks pretty good if I'm being honest. The plot seems infinitely better than the game cause and I know that's not saying much but still. Also Tim is an actual f*cking character now and not just some cardboard cut out of a person you trick yourself into thinking is a character.

i am genuinely shocked, this seems interesting and kinda fun, and pikachu looks kinda cute with all that fur. im liking the approach of mixing a more realistic style with the cartoony designs of the original pokemon as it makes them look a lot better then going all in on realistic looking pokemon.

Besides Psyduck that movie looks much better than I thought it would. Still surprised Pikachu ointed towards it tail when saying it would shock the protagonist, seeing as it gathers electricity in its cheeks.

The humor doesn't do it for me so far though. I liked Mr. Mime and that's about it. 

Well, the stills actually are pretty good, even Jigglypuff (Still should have had a lot less fur). Also still good in motion, this is some impressive CG work.

I mean, it's a bit odd hearing Deadpika (Still works, but probably should have had Kaiji Tang for both for at least some consistency).