When CYL3 comes around, who will you guys vote for?

Gregster101

Kind of off-topic, but I just commissioned my buddy Ramen to draw Jill and Patty for Heroes since she is the Heroes prophet (as she literally prophethized Legault and Spring Catria). Hopefully either one of them will be added to Heroes before CYL3 comes around :P

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gregster101 said:

Kind of off-topic, but I just commissioned my buddy Ramen to draw Jill and Patty for Heroes since she is the Heroes prophet (as she literally prophethized Legault and Spring Catria). Hopefully either one of them will be added to Heroes before CYL3 comes around :P

Hey, that looks pretty good

17 hours ago, XRay said:

It would be great if they could do it daily in my opinion. It would be easier for the community to rally behind strong contenders early on. While I prefer Camilla over Veronica, it was nice seeing an original character winning.

It does make it easier to do just that, I just wonder if it is a good thing.  Last time I think it led to people seeing oh Veronica has a chance and putting support behind her however this led to Camilla not winning (some of that support was also so Camilla would lose)

15 hours ago, TheWill said:

They showed the midterm rankings on the first CYL, as well. It's essentially a precedent at this point. 

Ah first CYL was before game release so I wasn't around then, I guess it is something they will continue with though if it is tradition.

@Gregster101 Man I'd love both of them to get in!!!  If it was up to me the answer would be a resounding yes!

Edited by Lewyn

4 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

This is lovely! How do commissions work?

14 hours ago, Midnox said:

It was a popularity toll, simple. No one told us it was to give them sweet ass alt versions until it came, so that changed the whole nature of the CYL poll

That's exactly why I think the 1st CYL was the most sincere. Now it feels more like agenda than anything else. Granted, the 1st CYL is also very outdated

I think I’ll spread my initial votes to characters not yet in the game (Cynthia, Ilyana) while also giving attention to underrated favorites such as Katarina. The last few votes might go to who I’d like to see succeed depending on the polls, which will likely be Eirika or Corrin.

11 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Now it feels more like agenda than anything else.

Of course. Everyone votes for their favorite characters, results come in, simple. However, having an actual REWARD on top of it and knowing it, an agenda was bound to happen. Now it’s mostly a competition to NOW let win their least favorite character

On 11/17/2018 at 9:04 PM, Zangetsu said:

That's exactly why I think the 1st CYL was the most sincere. Now it feels more like agenda than anything else. Granted, the 1st CYL is also very outdated

Speak for yourself, my man! I only use my votes on the characters I like, regardless of current level of representation - first I voted Roy for everything except one Limstella, and last time I voted on Idunn, Nagi, Limstella, and Palla - and I plan to repeat such types of votes this time around. Hope they add Shade to the voting this time, though, I was bummed they skipped out on her last time.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Mackc2 said:

I would put all my votes on micaiah cause everyone I want to vote for has no chance 

Don't give up! If you don't try, you're bound to lose. Hardly anyone even knows who Elena is, (she's Ike and Mist's mom) but I'm still going to do my best to get her into the game. If everyone thought this way, they'd all vote for who they think is popular, rather than who they actually wanted to win, and in the end, not as many people would be happy as everyone might think. It's better to be honest and vote for who you really want, and I think that's what IS wants people to do, too.

All that said...

*keeps ringing the handbell* If anyone doesn't know who to vote for, Elena is an original and viable option! :D Every vote is appreciated!

21 hours ago, Midnox said:

Of course. Everyone votes for their favorite characters, results come in, simple. However, having an actual REWARD on top of it and knowing it, an agenda was bound to happen. Now it’s mostly a competition to NOW let win their least favorite character

Well CYL is more or less who you want to have an alt for absolutely sure but it's not like there's no popularity to factor in.

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Speak for yourself, my man! I only use my votes on the characters I like, regardless of current level of representation - first I voted Roy for everything except one Limstella, and last time I voted on Idunn, Nagi, Limstella, and Palla - and I plan to repeat such types of votes this time around. Hope they add Shade to the voting this time, though, I was bummed they skipped out on her last time.

Not saying no ones voting without liking something but it's not popularity contest anymore. Which admittedly was probably never the case to begin with. Also, Shade as in the Cipher DLC for Echoes? She wasn't a voting option, that's pretty friggin mess up. Especially when you can vote for Brigand Boss.

45 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Don't give up! If you don't try, you're bound to lose. Hardly anyone even knows who Elena is, (she's Ike and Mist's mom) but I'm still going to do my best to get her into the game. If everyone thought this way, they'd all vote for who they think is popular, rather than who they actually wanted to win, and in the end, not as many people would be happy as everyone might think. It's better to be honest and vote for who you really want, and I think that's what IS wants people to do, too.

All that said...

*keeps ringing the handbell* If anyone doesn't know who to vote for, Elena is an original and viable option! :D Every vote is appreciated!

I mean, it's not a bad thing to be realistic either.

Your propaganda might work better if Elena was a meme. People loves memes

On 11/17/2018 at 3:14 PM, Lewyn said:

(some of that support was also so Camilla would lose)

It is rather irksome how much salt and animosity can be in this fandom. I get changing your votes to Veronica since you think she might be cool and realize she has an actual shot, but voting for her just because "fuck Camilla" seems petty.

26 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

There's got to be a way to turn her brutal accidental murder at the hands of her husband into a meme. That seems like he exact type of thing the internet would love. Actually, I might try that if anyone else is interested in joining in.

Anyway, for me, probably Palla, same as last time. Will probably switch to Echoes Palla though. I voted for Shadow Dragon her because I thought that would be the one most people knew her from since it's the most games and she's not as prominent in Echoes as she is in (N)MotE, so the results surprised me a bit. Plus not like I actually care which version of her. They're all the same character.

Edited by bottlegnomes

2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

I mean, it's not a bad thing to be realistic either.

I wouldn't call it "propaganda," but raising awareness? Certainly. As for being realistic, it's not really idealism vs realism. It's a fact that if you don't vote for someone, that person has less votes than if you did. The idealism comes in at "this character is going to win!" which I'm not saying. Just saying that if everyone votes for who they think is the most popular, then that character will win and since the poll isn't asking that, (but rather who you, as an individual, would like in the game) it leads to more misinformation which IS looks at and makes decisions based off of. So, even if your favorite doesn't win, at least you answered the question honestly, and that character gains more representation than if you didn't.

Regarding memes, though, er… Not sure that's quite appropriate given the serious nature of her story. Of course, I may be misidentifying what a meme is. Aren't they nonserious in nature and often lead to (or are centered around) ridicule?

2 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

There's got to be a way to turn her brutal accidental murder at the hands of her husband into a meme. That seems like he exact type of thing the internet would love. Actually, I might try that if anyone else is interested in joining in.

See above, though this got me thinking. Maybe something sad and sweet would work better than a joke. Like Ike and Mist remembering her for a sort of "Happy Mothers' Day" type thing. She got along well with Titania, as I recall, too. The tagline could easily be "Remember Elena." Just loading up the internet with bittersweet, sentimental imagery... That may work. Ike's popularity could hurt or help this, too. I dunno. Maybe Mist humming the lullaby as she works on chores at the mercenary HQ with a ghost image of her mom next to her, also humming, tagline "wish you were here" or something.

19 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Regarding memes, though, er… Not sure that's quite appropriate given the serious nature of her story. Of course, I may be misidentifying what a meme is. Aren't they nonserious in nature and often lead to (or are centered around) ridicule?

See above, though this got me thinking. Maybe something sad and sweet would work better than a joke. Like Ike and Mist remembering her for a sort of "Happy Mothers' Day" type thing. She got along well with Titania, as I recall, too. The tagline could easily be "Remember Elena." Just loading up the internet with bittersweet, sentimental imagery... That may work. Ike's popularity could hurt or help this, too. I dunno. Maybe Mist humming the lullaby as she works on chores at the mercenary HQ with a ghost image of her mom next to her, also humming, tagline "wish you were here" or something.

You're spot on as far as it not being appropriate. The thing is that's basically what the internet thrives on. Excellus, Oliver, and Gheb are mostly popular because they're hideous, unpleasant people who are completely unaware of how reprehensible they are. Inappropriate given actual context yes, but half of what makes memes popular is taking something serious and making a joke of it. Personally, it's why I hate the Simpsons "Do it for her" meme. It's taking an incredibly heartfelt and meaningful moment and turning it into a joke. Unfortunately, as the aforementioned three, Deghinsea, and Dorcas show, that's the best way to gain popularity.

My meme idea was along those lines. Something like the picture of Greil stabbing her and a caption of "When Bae eats the last poptart." Makes a joke of her sacrifice, but almost certainly the best way to get her popular. At least with FEH, they do vague nods to the meme and stick fairly close to the actual character even in cases of characters who are popular because of memes.

2 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

You're spot on as far as it not being appropriate. The thing is that's basically what the internet thrives on. Excellus, Oliver, and Gheb are mostly popular because they're hideous, unpleasant people who are completely unaware of how reprehensible they are. Inappropriate given actual context yes, but half of what makes memes popular is taking something serious and making a joke of it. Personally, it's why I hate the Simpsons "Do it for her" meme. It's taking an incredibly heartfelt and meaningful moment and turning it into a joke. Unfortunately, as the aforementioned three, Deghinsea, and Dorcas show, that's the best way to gain popularity.

My meme idea was along those lines. Something like the picture of Greil stabbing her and a caption of "When Bae eats the last poptart." Makes a joke of her sacrifice, but almost certainly the best way to get her popular. At least with FEH, they do vague nods to the meme and stick fairly close to the actual character even in cases of characters who are popular because of memes.

When did Deghinsea become popular because of memes? Also, the guy deserves that popularity. He's an interesting character with a great backstory which influences his worldview and actions. If it wasn't for me voting Micaiah every day, I'd consider voting for him as well. 

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

When did Deghinsea become popular because of memes? Also, the guy deserves that popularity. He's an interesting character with a great backstory which influences his worldview and actions. If it wasn't for me voting Micaiah every day, I'd consider voting for him as well. 

Not sure if it's so much anymore, but for a long time, the most iconic things about him were "Hold, hold I say" and "Goldoa will not move" to the point where there were actual topics solely about the joke.

4 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

Not saying no ones voting without liking something but it's not popularity contest anymore. Which admittedly was probably never the case to begin with. Also, Shade as in the Cipher DLC for Echoes? She wasn't a voting option, that's pretty friggin mess up. Especially when you can vote for Brigand Boss.

Hm, perhaps so. All the same, I can't for the life of me understand how people read CYL's description of 'vote for your favorite character' and came up with 'why would you vote for someone who isn't going to win?' so that may just be me. I actually had this discussion with a friend recently, who asked me that exact question. Also I forgot to mention Elice, I did spare her a vote the first CYL as well.
None of the Cipher DLC characters were an option, which I only let go because Rowan, Lianna, and Darios weren't options either. Apparently they want to keep their spin-offs separate from each other, I guess. All the same, not being able to vote for Shade, Yuzu, Emma, or RandalLando is frustrating. I get Alice and Valjean not being included since they'd not been added to any games, and Nieve if memory serves didn't exist yet, but come on, IS, why not the four you actually DID add to a game?

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Have you ever been on 4Chan? The entire purpose of the site is inappropriate memes, posted solely for shock value. Because said memes are often not Politically Correct, a fair amount of people think 4Chan is a bunch of racist sexist bigots when in reality they're just trolls who don't give a crap what people think about them. Memes about Elena and Greil would actually be quite tame...just don't let Ana see them if she ever comes back, just in case.

1 hour ago, bottlegnomes said:

Igh, absolutely not. It's better not to get votes than to destroy people's view of someone for the sake of votes. 'Course, I'm a fairly serious person, so it's no wonder this goes against my grain. I appreciate a good joke, especially if that joke is based in clever wordplay, but I can't stand people joking about things that deserve reverence. For example, cracking cheap jokes at a funeral is just a bad idea, and is distinct from light joking to help lift people's spirits.

In the long run, a better play would be to go the gentler, more sentimental route, as I previously described, since that's so fitting with Elena's story, and the nature of her relationships.

8 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Have you ever been on 4Chan? The entire purpose of the site is inappropriate memes, posted solely for shock value. Because said memes are often not Politically Correct, a fair amount of people think 4Chan is a bunch of racist sexist bigots when in reality they're just trolls who don't give a crap what people think about them. Memes about Elena and Greil would actually be quite tame...just don't let Ana see them if she ever comes back, just in case.

I don't go to 4chan for various reasons. And just because it would be tame compared to the other things on the internet doesn't mean it's appropriate/suitable. Some characters are made to be silly. That's where memes would be appropriate, I think. But for ones like this... It's too close to home for many people. Losing your mom when you're young and wishing she was there as you grow up is something a lot of people can relate to, I'm sure, and isn't a topic to make fun of. Not given the situation surrounding the circumstance, since it wasn't made to be a joke.

I guess a way to say it is, "win the right way or not at all?" That's my stance, anyway, if I'm expressing my thoughts right... But again, that's just me. It's not like I can stop anyone from doing things the way they will, but I won't approve of it, as is my prerogative.

8 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

It is rather irksome how much salt and animosity can be in this fandom. I get changing your votes to Veronica since you think she might be cool and realize she has an actual shot, but voting for her just because "fuck Camilla" seems petty.

You know how it is, Camilla obviously has a ton of fans and is an incredibly popular character but also has a lot of people who hate her.  However I do think it was still mostly people thinking how cool it would be to get to play as Veronica (and boy did they knock it out of the park in terms of meeting expectations, she's awesome).  I suspect we'll see a similar thing if another original character not yet in the game seems to be ranking especially high midway.  

Realistically, Marth and Alm are going to win the male spots pretty much guaranteed and for whatever reason Camilla will probably still win a female spot which sucks so I'm not all that invested honestly.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

You know how it is, Camilla obviously has a ton of fans and is an incredibly popular character but also has a lot of people who hate her.  However I do think it was still mostly people thinking how cool it would be to get to play as Veronica (and boy did they knock it out of the park in terms of meeting expectations, she's awesome).  I suspect we'll see a similar thing if another original character not yet in the game seems to be ranking especially high midway.  

That's what I honestly think happened. With the midterm results showing how surprisingly high she actually was, a lot of people shifted to voting for for her to see if they could push her through, and it worked. If not for that, I think she would have stayed below Camilla and Eirika. I don't think it was a matter of people trying to anti-vote Camilla(though it sounds like we're gonna have a fair amount of people doing that for CYL3..) People just got a heads up that voting to make Veronica playable wasn't just a meme and they actually had a chance. 

2 hours ago, Zeo said:

Realistically, Marth and Alm are going to win the male spots pretty much guaranteed and for whatever reason Camilla will probably still win a female spot which sucks so I'm not all that invested honestly.

Yeah I'm hopeful Alm gets into the Top 2, unless for some reason Reinhardt shoots up from his spot last year