Is Raven really average as what the 0% growth run implies?

Harvey

Ok so I looked a bit of the discussion that Raven is either overrated or is just an average unit that isn't Marcus tier when seeing the 0% growth run. Even some of the members here say so. 

I mean like really? How is that the problem. I mean when you consider that..

1. Is the only unit that makes use of the hero crest

2. Is your best axe user until lategame.

3. Has really high bases for his join time.

How can Raven still have problems for those saying he has problems? Like sure, he'll struggle a bit before promotion but its not like its hard to get him promoted...is it?

and how can he perform so bad in a 0% growth run?

29 minutes ago, Harvey said:

No he isn't. Guy, Bartre, and Dorcas also use the Hero Crest. Is Raven the best user of it? Sure, but he isn't the only unit.

33 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Debatable. Many of the Paladins make for better axe units since they generally have higher move.

34 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Sure, he's still going to fall off hard with 10 strength

31 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Simple, Raven relies upon his high growths in other stats to make up for his subpar defence, and his con isn't really high enough to account for the diminishing amounts of damage one can deal without heavier and harder hitting weaponry.

2 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

No he isn't. Guy, Bartre, and Dorcas also use the Hero Crest. Is Raven the best user of it? Sure, but he isn't the only unit.

My point exactly.

Debatable. Many of the Paladins make for better axe units since they generally have higher move.

You get like five of them and of those five, only two are considered worthy and even then, they'll have trouble doubling with axes.

Sure, he's still going to fall off hard with 10 strength

Couldn't you just promote him fast and then use stat buffs?

Simple, Raven relies upon his high growths in other stats to make up for his subpar defence, and his con isn't really high enough to account for the diminishing amounts of damage one can deal without heavier and harder hitting weaponry.

Then just give a body ring why not?

11 minutes ago, Harvey said:

You get like five of them and of those five, only two are considered worthy and even then, they'll have trouble doubling with axes.

What? All 5 paladins are at least good.

I do think Raven is a better-than-average unit, though.

To say he's bad isn't quite right, he's got good bases in HM, has a good infantry class and he's your best early sword infantry.

Thing is he's a growth unit and they tend to fall off in 0% anyway and there's obviously a better unit in the form of Harken. He'll only improve slightly with promotion and Harken already has beast stats.

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Couldn't you just promote him fast and then use stat buffs?

He doesn't gain any strength upon promotion.

Then just give a body ring why not?

That only slightly fixes the issue. If you want him to mainly use axes, he'll still be very weighed down by the increasingly stronger axes he will need to carry.

You get like five of them and of those five, only two are considered worthy and even then, they'll have trouble doubling with axes

Marcus - considered the best unit in the game, good with axes

Sain - is a pretty amazing unit, decent with axes but has the drawback of a low axe rank

Kent - debateably better than Sain (I personally don't think so, but I have seen a few people who say that). His higher speed makes him a good user for axes to mitigate his lower strength

Lowen - Probably the worst of the cavs, and even then he's still in the higher ranks. Axes help with his lowish offensive stats.

Isadora - Good weapon ranks, good bases, midgame unit. Not better than a trained anyone, but is always an easy person to just put in if you have an open slot.

My point exactly.

Your point was that he was the only one who used it, or at least that's what the wording implied. If you had said good use of it, then I would be inclined to agree.

4 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

That only slightly fixes the issue. If you want him to mainly use axes, he'll still be very weighed down by the increasingly stronger axes he will need to carry.

Raven has enough natural Speed that losing a few points from axes is typically meaningless, especially when you consider how slow lance enemies are. Losing 6 Spd isn't going to prevent him from doubling generals.

On 11/17/2018 at 1:20 AM, Harvey said:

Ok so I looked a bit of the discussion that Raven is either overrated or is just an average unit that isn't Marcus tier when seeing the 0% growth run. Even some of the members here say so. 

I mean like really? How is that the problem. I mean when you consider that..

How can Raven still have problems for those saying he has problems? Like sure, he'll struggle a bit before promotion but its not like its hard to get him promoted...is it?

1. I mean in LTC, he's probably the only efficient choice. For ranked, he's a contender for a later one since he doesn't need to promote to be a solid combatant.
  2. Not really. Hawkeye and Geitz are super solid. All the paladins are as well.
  3. Yeah the bases are what make him good.

But the key thing to remember that Raven's durability is dependent on his bases and solid HP growth. Well, his avoid is decent enough, but don't rely on it.

Also in 0% growths, Raven's average. He relies on growths to catch up. If we're just going by bases, his his durability will be shit forever. He's fast enough to double shit even when weighed down, but there's only so many times he can take a barrage of hits. One thing you'll notice is that when discussions on higher difficulty modes in FE games is that unit durability matters a hell of a lot. If someone's gonna be a glass cannon, they'd better be something like Ced with Forseti or something equally as goddamned ridiculous.  (Forsetti on it's own is stupid since it gives +spd which results in +avoid, but hey.)