Do you have a "Berserk Button"?

Hecatia

If there's one thing you can't simply not get angry at, even if it's something really small... What is it? Like... Somebody refers to your size or someone says something that's not true about you and remarks it to your circle.

Mine is when dogs inside their home bark at me when I walk. It catches me off-guard and I hate it so much that I make angry faces at the dogs. I know, it's stupid. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

On super rare occasion, some jerk will use a staff to surround me with flimsy lights, and that makes me pretty upset sometimes.

Like, the movement of the lights is what annoys you?

10 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

If there's one thing you can't simply not get angry at, even if it's something really small... What is it? Like... Somebody refers to your size or someone says something that's not true about you and remarks it to your circle.

Existence.

Seriously though, it's probably when a bug flies into my room and I try to remove it and it just refuses to cooperate and stays in awkward places.
Or when I'm trying to chill out and people keep demanding things of me.
Or people not knowing the difference between a canon and a cannon.

Actually, it's probably a collective of those.

16 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Mine is when dogs inside their home bark at me when I walk. It catches me off-guard and I hate it so much that I make angry faces at the dogs. I know, it's stupid. 

It's not stupid. Stupid is poking yourself in the eye after doing it almost daily for the past 5 years (I have a friend that does this) and STILL not learning to keep objects away from your eyes.

7 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Mine is when dogs inside their home bark at me when I walk.

I hate that, too. I especially hate it when MY dog does it. It's annoying on both ends.

It's absolutely awful how people don't wash their hands after leaving the bathroom. It's disgusting, especially when they freaking clamp onto the door handle and swing open the door, which is the only reasonable exit out of the bathroom, and the fact that I would have to touch it after them kills my brain cells. I use my shirt to make a clean escape, but still.

There was a museum that I went to that had these weird handles at the bottom of the door where you can use your foot to open the door. I think something like that should be on all bathroom doors.

27 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I used to live in a neighborhood where I would be going for a walk around the block, and this woman's dog would bark its head off at my Mother and I. And if that wasn't bad enough, this dumb dog would upon seeing us walking on the other side of the street, would run out to the middle of the street and bark its head off at us! And keep in mind we were on the opposite side! Ugh! That dog really got on my nerves! Thankfully it never fully crossed the street whenever that happened. 

What grates on my nerves the most? Highway construction shutting down an exit ramp I need to take to get somewhere (like work) and it's blocked off until 6am. That doesn't help me because I have to report to work earlier than 6am. 

Second would be potholes and unplowed roads. 

Edited by Ace Tactician

12 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

That's annoying too, even more when you say "leave me chill for a bit" and then they magically forget that you said that.

14 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

It's not stupid. Stupid is poking yourself in the eye after doing it almost daily for the past 5 years (I have a friend that does this) and STILL not learning to keep objects away from your eyes.

It actually is quite stupid... What is the motive for doing that?

@indigoceans I hate that too! I also have to deal constantly with people not asking if there's someone at the bathroom before opening the door.

10 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

This right here. I hate it whenever I’m just want to sit down and just watch an anime or play a video game my parents just keep asking me to do sh*t around the house like ugh I do it in a minute. 

One I think most anyone here will agree with is when people tote their opinion as objective without any way to back it up. Like if you want to present an argument or critique you better as hell have good reasoning to back it up. Ugh I just hate it when people do this especially when it comes to critiquing characters and stories. 

One time I was walking out of McDonalds and a lady drove past and threw a cigarette container out the window. Pissed me off so much. There was a dumpster like 10 feet away from her.

Edited by Dragoncat

21 minutes ago, Ace Tactician said:

What grates on my nerves the most? Highway construction shutting down an exit ramp I need to take to get somewhere (like work) and it's blocked off until 6am. That doesn't help me because I have to report to work earlier than 6am. 

Second would be potholes and unplowed roads. 

I know how that feels, because government decided to finally repair the roads around where I live, but the solutions for the public transport are shit and I almost get to uni late every day.

12 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

One I think most anyone here will agree with is when people tote their opinion as objective without any way to back it up. Like if you want to present an argument or critique you better as hell have good reasoning to back it up. Ugh I just hate it when people do this especially when it comes to critiquing characters and stories. 

You're right! It's annoying to see hating without any sort of backup. There's no such thing as hating just because you can.

10 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

One time I was walking out of McDonalds and a lady threw a cigarette container out the window. Pissed me off so much. There was a dumpster like 10 feet away from her.

This one is common here in Santiago, so common, that the government made a campaign on every media possible to stop people from throwing their trash in any place. It barely worked.

15 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

That's annoying too, even more when you say "leave me chill for a bit" and then they magically forget that you said that.

This makes me want to punch orphans in an angry rage.

17 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

It actually is quite stupid... What is the motive for doing that?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He's an idiot? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

This just made me remember another one.

People who refuse to acknowledge when they are proven wrong. Sometimes it's for a joke and occasionally it's funny. But the kind of people that have evidence staring them in the face and refusing to acknowledge it really grinds my gears.

And since I remember... I'm surprised this topic's not named: "You know what really grinds my gears?"

image.png.bd7eaa2256634a3efae8f2d6357da5d9.png

13 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

People who refuse to acknowledge when they are proven wrong. Sometimes it's for a joke and occasionally it's funny. But the kind of people that have evidence staring them in the face and refusing to acknowledge it really grinds my gears.

And since I remember... I'm surprised this topic's not named: "You know what really grinds my gears?"

I actually refuse to see a point as a joke and then admit the other person was right, I don't like to be in a tense situation. At least no one had gone angry because of it.

I forgot that phrase existed. Missed opportunity :c

I hate when they guys at my school say "Hurr-duur you have no friends! even though you actually have like 6 xdxd" or "You got no GF" and the things that follow the last one "You idiot virgin" "Are you gay" "You anti-social" "xxdxdxdcdhvxj ,xvkdjbvxkb dkxb j" "I play Fortnite".

And then these people have the weidest jackasses for friends that always get int rouble and only ever play football or soccer.

EVEN worse is when they try to talk politics. "Uhm yeah Trump is racist because he hates Mexico for wanting to keep his nation secure hurr durr you're just a racist little Eduardo oahslkhlv;xsxxdxdxdxddx come play Fortnite you fag***" (I'm also short, I've been growing a lot but still I wonder if people will not be able to see me if I go to the netherlands or something)

And another dumb thing is between changing classes... because instead of the students moving, it's the professors so in between professors evryone goes wild which is normal but then they start acting gay because "it's funny" stop playing Fortnite, stop pretending you're raping each other, stop moaning like hell and can someone please make that woman shut up?! (And this is supposed to be a catholic school well it is pretty leniant though that's why everyone is so messed up, thankfully my row is full of people that are my friends or peopple that are friedns of my friends that are not affiliated with the jerks)

1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I forgot that phrase existed. Missed opportunity :c

I remembered it after my initial comment so I wouldn't worry too much about not remembering it.

6 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I actually refuse to see a point as a joke and then admit the other person was right, I don't like to be in a tense situation. At least no one had gone angry because of it.

All it does is leave that person frustrated. Most of the time unnecessarily.

Someone making fun of type one diabetics/the things I use to stay alive.  Type one diabetes happens when the immune system attacks the part of the pancreas that makes insulin and type ones have to be on insulin to stay alive.  Every time I hear,read, see whatever someone who knows nothing about the hell I go through to stay alive, make fun of diabetes it makes me want to break their nose and it makes me wish that they could go through what I do every day for one day and see if they think it is funny after that.

Edited by EricaofRenais

Wait, I've got another one.

People who walk at a turtle's pace. I experience this pretty much every time I go to school (and even some public places). It's the transition period between classes, and I'll be trying to get to my next class, but then there's just a sea of turtles in front of me. I can weave my way past since I'm pretty skinny, but it's especially annoying when there are zero openings. What's even worse is that there are certain points in the school where it's just a mixed salad of people moving past each other, which is usually at the tops and bottoms of staircases and the intersections between hallways. There have been multiple times where I've had to full on stop just because there were that many people. I've also had the misfortune to be stuck in the middle of the moving salads, where I've gotten pushed around more than I'd like to admit. It's all just one big human traffic jam. 

A solution I've thought of would be to resort to that one scene from Spongebob where he's running away from that one guy who wanted to kick his butt. That would be my strategy.

50 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

I hate when they guys at my school say "Hurr-duur you have no friends! even though you actually have like 6 xdxd" or "You got no GF" and the things that follow the last one "You idiot virgin" "Are you gay" "You anti-social" "xxdxdxdcdhvxj ,xvkdjbvxkb dkxb j" "I play Fortnite".

51 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

they start acting gay because "it's funny" stop playing Fortnite, stop pretending you're raping each other, stop moaning like hell

Oh boy, I experienced this one from 5th to 7th grade, too. Specially the part where they claim that they are doing "big man" things, but they're just acting like prostitutes. At that time, I only had female friends, because they were smart and preferred to shoo away the other idiots that we had for classmates and I was called gay because I liked to be with girls. Now how's that for irony? Also, if they would like to have AIDS while being young, it's their problem.

Now that I'm a teacher, a group on 5th grade asks me every time I have class with them if I play Fornite because the first time they asked me about it, I said I didn't like it. I gave that group extra homework because they were also doing nothing during class and I was being evaluated by an authority from the uni.

40 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Someone making fun of type one diabetics/the things I use to stay alive.

Every person who does this needs a punch in the face to learn that people with diabetes also need respect, it's not a fun thing at all.

29 minutes ago, indigoceans said:

People who walk at a turtle's pace.

This one is completely awful in many situations. And there's people who does it on purpose!

12 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Oh boy, I experienced this one from 5th to 7th grade, too. Specially the part where they claim that they are doing "big man" things, but they're just acting like prostitutes. At that time, I only had female friends, because they were smart and preferred to shoo away the other idiots that we had for classmates and I was called gay because I liked to be with girls. Now how's that for irony? Also, if they would like to have AIDS while being young, it's their problem.

Now that I'm a teacher, a group on 5th grade asks me every time I have class with them if I play Fornite because the first time they asked me about it, I said I didn't like it. I gave that group extra homework because they were also doing nothing during class and I was being evaluated by an authority from the uni.

I never understood the idiocy of "You are liked by women and hang out with them, therefore you are gay". Lol but how would they get AIDS if none of them has it, does it just magically appear? TEACH ME.

Man this makes me want to be a teacher, if being an astronomer doesn't work then History teacher is my job! Must be so satisfying to say "You jerks do absolutely nothing here, you will do pages 32-37 and write me on the notebook what you understood without copying anything from the book" "But I not English!" "Find a solution then you buttface!"

What really annoys me is when someone grabs me when I'm not expecting it. Not in a sexual way, of course, but like if I'm at church and some old dude puts his hand on my shoulder for whatever reason, I mentally panic for a quick second before being kinda mad at the dude for surprising me. I used to be much worse about handling that. My two favorite examples are when I flipped a desk and ripped a girl's paper in half during fourth grade for a situation that I believe started with someone telling me to calm down by grabbing my shoulder. The second is when this kid did what he called a "scoop", which basically meant stabbing my throat. You know Ganondorf's Side B? That is basically what I proceeded to do to that kid. I slammed him through like 3 chairs before hitting the ground. I don't remember actually grabbing the kid, or my actions except for when we were both on the floor, my hand grasped around his throat. I think I had some kind of anger blackout or something. I actually didn't get in trouble for that one, thank gods. But yeah, much better now.

Another pet peeve of mine is when teachers force you to work on work from their class. Like, I get the logic behind it, you're in my class we should be working on my subject. It's just that the actual application of it is absolutely infuriating. When I have bucketloads of homework, and we have what is essentially a free period in a class, to say I then have to work on an assignment (which more often than not is online based and doesn't really work on phones) in class as opposed to the actual homework we can still do is infuriating. I basically end up just wasting that class period because I have nothing to do, and all the teachers don't care. (Not saying all teachers don't care, just all of my teachers this year)

48 minutes ago, indigoceans said:

People who walk at a turtle's pace. I experience this pretty much every time I go to school

I normally just push past them, say "excuse me" and move on. If not, I just look for whatever openings and squeeze through them. Another terrible thing based off of this are people who dead stop in the middle of the hall. Like, you're walking, having a grand old time, and then there is this massive conglomerate of idiots who are completely blocking off the way to get past, and the only way is through the narrow path that basically only allows one person at a time. You could also always just push through the middle, which is often the weakest point, although you'll get some dirty looks from it. That being said, I don't have a problem with slower walkers, it's just people who barely move that are the issue. 

1 hour ago, DarthR0xas said:

You know Ganondorf's Side B? That is basically what I proceeded to do to that kid. I slammed him through like 3 chairs before hitting the ground.

I actually didn't get in trouble for that one, thank gods. But yeah, much better now.

Reminds me of a time I nearly threw my friend off of a bridge into oncoming traffic because he was pushing my buttons on a day that I was already immensely pissed off at people. I'm a pacifist and everyone present at the time basically freaked and stepped back because I pulled him up off the ground without even noticing. Suffice to say that I wasn't bothered much for the rest of that day.

Glad everything worked out.

Edited by Light Strategist

Math.

When trying to install something and it takes literally forever to do so.

Having someone else use my stuff. I really dislike when  I share something with someone and they either don't give it back or do something with it that pisses me off. Its all too common that some of my friends would forget to return my pencils or pens after using them at school, and my sister really has this awful habit of closing all internet tabs whenever she uses my computer.

When I was little I was one of those kids that became angry because of the smallest things. I remember a time when I became angry because someone wrote a letter to me. But I've learned to control my anger so I hardly become angry and when I do become angry it's almost always verbally. But there still are some things I still can't stand.

Whenever somebody suddenly makes a loud noise for no reason. I'm very sensitive to sounds. So whenever one of those kids in my class wanted some attention and started shouting it quickly got on my nerves. What's even more annoying that I used to go to a school for children with autism, so you could either have that the others are going to copy it or that they become angry and start fighting. But even now when I'm walking and some kids cycle by they start screaming when they're near you and then quickly cycle away. 

Whenever people make fun of autism. Since I said that I went to a school for autism it won't be a shock when I say I have autism. So whenever people try to be cool by saying things like ´He's such an auti' or any other thing in which they pretty make fun of it or say that it's just being socially awkward (which is something many but not all people with autism have) it can make me really furious. But the fact that they make fun of it isn't what makes me the most furious, it's how it effects people with autism. People with autism can be very sensitive to what you say and often can't understand when someone is serious or joking. So they take such jokes literally. I've known people who started to view themselves very negatively due to such comments and tried so many things to change or thought that they could 'cure' there autism, only to find out that they can't which makes them even more frustrated. Yes, it's true that many people with autism act weird on occasion and that there are that they have difficulty with, but it's not like every person with autism behaves the same way or that they have difficulty with the same things (besides, who doesn't act weird sometimes?).

I dislike it in general when people make fun of something they hardly know anything about and just use it as a 'cool' way to say something.

Edited by LJwalhout

Oh boy, a ventilation shaft in the form of a thread!  My favorite!  Time for a series of rants!

8 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

someone says something that's not true about you and remarks it to your circle.

This is one of those things, I don't have time for this petty teenage bullshit from people.  Most people I know are between 22 and 50, if they haven't grown past this stupid fuckery then they're not worth being a friend.  It's even worse when they start gaslighting you.  If someone did that frequently, I'd end whatever relationship I had with them as fast as possible because that's the kind of stuff abusive personalities pull.

One time, some dickhead from my brother's previous circle of friends was trying to play with them a certain way.  And before you say "hey, you're being a finicky asshole", let me explain.  So I had these two girl dogs - one was a sporadic yellow lab who literally liked to run laps around in our yard, and the other is this relatively calmer golden retriever who today can't even go up a flight of stairs without getting all worn out (she's an old girl).  Usually when playing fetch, we let both the lab and the retriever chase after the toy at the same time.  The retriever usually doesn't even get halfway there before sort of giving up, but she enjoys simply running with her adoptive sister after the toy and even if she did get to the toy first she refuses to pick it up until the lab does.  However, this dumbshit boy (I say "boy", but he was, like, 16-18 years old) thought it would be a good idea to force the lab to stay behind and force the retriever to grab the toy.  The result is they both got stressed out, and I had to tell the cunt to stop playing with them.  So basically, that kind of thing pisses me off, and it really pisses me off when people like that continue doing the wrong thing when the owner asks them to stop it.  Like no, it's not your fucking pet, you good for nothing cock of a man, stop acting she is yours to fuck with.

Also when a lot of my more politically charged friends speak in general.  They'll shame you for not being 100% with them and say you're evil/worthless/stupid, they'll crusade on Facebook about some "revolution" that's coming (why not try actually making it happen instead of sitting on your computer/phone all day and not voting), and the worst of them will spout conspiracy videos/articles and spam your wall with horribly dark and disturbing pictures, videos, and audio clips like ones of people being shot and killed in schools or whatever.  Like, I didn't get into social media to get bombarded with this shit.  I get that discomfort is part of progress and yada yada yada other inspirational quotes you sniped from Steven Universe, but this kind of shit will not help your cause.  Me seeing a dog being abused in a Facebook video is not going to help curb animal abuse, it's just gonna make me feel sad and hateful towards my species and it probably puts huge grins on the worthless cunts who do that kind of stuff.  And harassing/bullying me about not picketing or having the exact same views will not make me think you're right.

It's also irritating when a lot of people's opinions seem based on movies and dumb rhetoric.  I knew a guy whose entire reasoning behind thinking women were inferior to men was "women attempt more than guys accomplish".  Like, what?  For one thing, what are you basing that off of?  And for another thing, we're just gonna ignore that whatever "failings" women may have had in history were mostly a product of our cultural evolution cultivating women into caretakers (proven by the fact that a number of recently discovered "old world" civilizations are actually egalitarian) and suppressing them whenever they tried to do anything else rather than some innate inability in women to perform tasks as adequately.  Incidentally, this guy had lots of "girl problems", and couldn't stay with a woman for very long.  Go figure.

And I recently had a mental breakdown about my cat hiding under the porch.  Like fuck you cat, you're an absolute piece of shit for making me stand around my door for, like, 14 hours and forcing my brother to wake up at 2 AM for your worthless cat ass.

8 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

And then these people have the weidest jackasses for friends that always get int rouble and only ever play football or soccer.

EVEN worse is when they try to talk politics. "Uhm yeah Trump is racist because he hates Mexico for wanting to keep his nation secure hurr durr you're just a racist little Eduardo oahslkhlv;xsxxdxdxdxddx come play Fortnite you fag***" (I'm also short, I've been growing a lot but still I wonder if people will not be able to see me if I go to the netherlands or something)

I see that school kids are just as awful as I remember them being.

Then again, some adults are equally dickish and awful.  That being said, a lot of people I knew in school as "those assholes" have generally become better people.  And funnily enough, a lot of the people I actually used to be moderate friends with are now super insufferable to me.  I'd much rather hang out with a friendly jock who really gets into the sports he watches than a depressed art major who won't stop joking about death or telling me how I haven't seen the world for how it actually is.  Still, some people will be assholes their whole lives, and they're gonna be the kind of people you'll have to work with in a grocery store and that'll try to rope you into some trouble so that they can get ahead.  I call them "toe stompers" because they don't care about stepping on toes just so that they can get ahead in life.

Also, I don't know a single man under six feet tall who doesn't feel a little short.  I imagine that the idiotic body size pressures are at least five times worse for girls, what with how our society tells them so often that they're only valuable if they're appealing to look at.  In any case, if you don't end up "filling out", it's not worth worrying about, it's all just superficial bullshit.

7 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Man this makes me want to be a teacher, if being an astronomer doesn't work then History teacher is my job! Must be so satisfying to say "You jerks do absolutely nothing here, you will do pages 32-37 and write me on the notebook what you understood without copying anything from the book" "But I not English!" "Find a solution then you buttface!"

Teacher/professor is quite a respectable profession, in my opinion.  A teacher is basically a child's future, for good and bad.  I just wish teachers were treated better, and I'm not simply talking about being respected by students.  Particularly during the big "No Child Left Behind" craze under the Bush administration, teachers were getting royally screwed over simply because were weren't as good at math as China.  They still don't get paid as much as they should or get the benefits they should, and it crushes me to know that so many teachers are forced to take on second jobs that are just absolutely terrible.

7 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

Whenever people make fun of autism. Since I said that I went to a school for autism it won't be a shock when I say I have autism. So whenever people try to be cool by saying things like ´He's such an auti' or any other thing in which they pretty make fun of it or say that it's just being socially awkward (which is something many but not all people with autism have) it can make me really furious. But the fact that they make fun of it isn't what makes me the most furious, it's how it effects people with autism. People with autism can be very sensitive to what you say and can often not understand when someone is serious or joking. So they such jokes literally. I've known people who started to view themselves very negatively due to such comments and tried so many things to change or thought that they could 'cure' there autism, only to find out that they can't which makes them even more frustrated. Yes, it's true that many people with autism act weird on occasion and that there are that they have difficulty with, but it's not like every person with autism behaves the same way or that they have difficulty with the same things (besides, who doesn't act weird sometimes?).

I was diagnosed with "mild autism" as a child (I put that in quotes because that doesn't really exist anymore since autism is now a spectrum), so I understand this feeling.  I see it as less of some horrible disability and more like I simply have a different way of looking at the world than a lot of people.  I never had trouble making friends (in fact, a lot of kids thought I was pretty decent, and a former classmate of mine talked about me in a positive light to someone else), but I did have issues understanding how a lot of people felt.

What pisses me off beyond anything is people in my country refusing to take vaccines because of worries about their kid getting autism.  Like, let's not even get into how that's just outlandish nonsense cooked up by some sensationalist journalist pretending to be a scientist (or however that idiotic rumor started floating around), you seriously would rather let your child (and children around them) die or be permanently disfigured/disabled by crippling diseases than risk them getting autism?  You think your kid sharing a trait with someone like me - a functioning adult who has an ordinary job and a circle of friends like every other healthy human being - is worse than them dying or not being able to do things like have children or walk?  What kind of fucked up asshole are you to think that, and what kind of zealot cunt are you to think you have the right to curse other kids with your snake oil-inspired dogma?  Anti-vaxxers are the scum of the 1st world.

And actually, a lot of what you talked about resonates with me.  The anger over petty stuff as a kid, the autism, the disdain for loud noises (pretty much 90% of what I don't like about kids and 70% of why I dread going to the grocery store).  If you hadn't mentioned that you went to a school for autism (I went to public school instead, but was inducted into special ed so that I could be given unique treatment), I'd almost think we lived the same childhood.

11 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

When I get hit by a *ahem* 1% CRITICAL

Im sorry lol