Jump to content
1% Critical Hit

Do you have a "Berserk Button"?

Recommended Posts

Here are some of my biggest Berserk Buttons:

Crowds of people blocking doorways. I absolutely LOATHE that. I mean, are they too stupid or too egotistical to notice that -duh- other people would like to walk through that door? I have to deal with that garbage almost every single damn time I go to university and I try to enter a building or a room. A crowd of the dumbest idiots this world has ever seen just stands there, not even bothering to go even the slightest bit to the side so that someone (namely me) can enter / exit the doorway. And these people call themselves the "Academical Elite".

But it isn't just university students blocking doors that pisses me off. People standing in the middle of the road or being otherwise in the way in general pisses me off to no end, as well.

I also hate it when complete strangers stand awkwardly close to me. Oh, and when old(er) people (mostly women in their mid 40s to late 70s) on buses think their bags need to sit in the window seat, even though the bus is full and people are forced to stand.

Edited by DragonFlames

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I was diagnosed with "mild autism" as a child (I put that in quotes because that doesn't really exist anymore since autism is now a spectrum), so I understand this feeling.  I see it as less of some horrible disability and more like I simply have a different way of looking at the world than a lot of people.  I never had trouble making friends (in fact, a lot of kids thought I was pretty decent, and a former classmate of mine talked about me in a positive light to someone else), but I did have issues understanding how a lot of people felt.

I also have a autism spectrum. What you say about how people with autism just have a different way of looking at the world is something I agree with (although I would say that they experience the world different since I often associate world-view with an ideology). I'm however not someone who had many friends, mostly because I never felt a need for it. But this isn't something that is entirely that way because of my autism. I know more then enough people with autism who are very Extravert.

 

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

What pisses me off beyond anything is people in my country refusing to take vaccines because of worries about their kid getting autism.  Like, let's not even get into how that's just outlandish nonsense cooked up by some sensationalist journalist pretending to be a scientist (or however that idiotic rumor started floating around), you seriously would rather let your child (and children around them) die or be permanently disfigured/disabled by crippling diseases than risk them getting autism?  You think your kid sharing a trait with someone like me - a functioning adult who has an ordinary job and a circle of friends like every other healthy human being - is worse than them dying or not being able to do things like have children or walk?  What kind of fucked up asshole are you to think that, and what kind of zealot cunt are you to think you have the right to curse other kids with your snake oil-inspired dogma?  Anti-vaxxers are the scum of the 1st world.

 Sounds like the sort of thing someone would say if he knew nothing about autism and vaccins. It's not like anything else has changed in world which could cause more people to be diagnosed with autism. Even if it would cause autism it's not like you people with autism are sociopaths. The reason so many people with autism are  introverted is because of people like them who don't know anything about autism and think that it is a mental illness. 

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

And actually, a lot of what you talked about resonates with me.  The anger over petty stuff as a kid, the autism, the disdain for loud noises (pretty much 90% of what I don't like about kids and 70% of why I dread going to the grocery store).  If you hadn't mentioned that you went to a school for autism (I went to public school instead, but was inducted into special ed so that I could be given unique treatment), I'd almost think we lived the same childhood

When I was 4-12 I went to 'regular' school (whatever regular actually means) and from my 12-18 I went to two different schools for people with autism. While I didn't learn much theoretically I did learn many social skills that I couldn't do prior to that. I've also a lot more tolerant to other people because a lot of people their had it way tougher then me. There was also a certain moment that my parents could spend more time with me. I tried a lot of new things that I never tried before (like going to the theatre) and while I'm still very introvert I'm way more open towards other people then I was 6 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

(I'm also short, I've been growing a lot but still I wonder if people will not be able to see me if I go to the netherlands or something)

Wait. Is this something that the Netherlands is known for? I thought that people had stereotypes like; Cheese, windmills (it's not like they only stand in 2 provinces), tulips (which are only a major thing in the north of South Holland) weed and klompen (I've no idea how you're supposed to spell it in english). But that we're long? That's new to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few too many about serious matters. Indeed, more than I'd honestly like. On the bright side, I've learned which issues tend to get me worked up, so I know that I should either calm down first before saying anything or just leave. Besides, there are multiple ways to handle anger than "fly off the handle".

As for some I could provide for the topic:

-The "make fun of something just because it's popular" and/or "criticize something to hell and back because everyone else is doing it" crazes. The former often miss what made the movie/game/book/what-have-you so popular in the first place, while the former quickly lead to the whole subject becoming a 'beating a dead horse' deal, and making the media in question come off worse that it actually is. In either case, it's more annoying that entertaining to see.

- A character (or person) being called dumb just because they can't catch romantic cues. Especially egregious if the character in question is shown to be smart and intelligent in other areas, even social ones, just not in the field of flirting/romance. Or if the character refuses the advances due to being clean-minded more than anything else.

- The "character being blamed for something they didn't do" trope. While I do like lessons that show you can try your hardest and still loose, and that sometimes in life bad things happen no matter what you do, I hate it when someone is blamed for something that wasn't their fault and has to suffer the consequences. Especially when sometimes those consequences can be very severe. It doesn't matter if it's the main character or some random bad guy, this is a trope that always infuriates me.

-  The Blaming the Railroaded Player trope. It's one thing to show that player's actions have consequences. It's another thing to force the player into committing a heinous action and then saying it was their fault for letting it happen, as if it was their choice to do so. Except when this trope is in play, there were no other ways to proceed. The player can try as they might to find a different solution, but the game will always force them into doing something the player would probably prefer not to do. It's not clever, and most people can see through this bullcrap right away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really protective, and whenever I learn about anybody getting physically hurt/bullied by someone (especially if it's somebody I'm close to) I get incredibly angry and am ready to go bust down some doors and beat up that person

to a lesser extent (but only slightly) I get that way over people who have been picked on or have (imo) been treated unfairly

amazingly, I have had enough self-control to not actually go over to somebody (who was within walking distance) to punch them. It's not that I don't get angry enough, just that I manage to hold myself back

I have not, however, consistently held myself back from yelling angrily at somebody

Edited by Freohr Datia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

-  The Blaming the Railroaded Player trope. It's one thing to show that player's actions have consequences. It's another thing to force the player into committing a heinous action and then saying it was their fault for letting it happen, as if it was their choice to do so. Except when this trope is in play, there were no other ways to proceed. The player can try as they might to find a different solution, but the game will always force them into doing something the player would probably prefer not to do. It's not clever, and most people can see through this bullcrap right away.

It is pretty funny in the Stanley Parable, though.  I mean, that's pretty much a shitpost in game form, but still.

I found it especially annoying when I'd hear people praising the narrative of Spec Ops: The Line in that one moment when it was clearly a railroaded moment.  It'd be like if I went through that "No Russian" mission in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, was not given an option of not playing through it, and was then shamed by the game for playing it, and people then praised it for being a "different take" on war.  Fuck off with that garbage, there's nothing profound about not being given the option of not killing civilians because a video game was being a linear video game and then having the narrator point their finger at me telling me I did a big bad.  You want to know what is a good, dark and gritty depiction of war?  This War of Mine.  Because every action you make is your own, and the sheer uncertainty of everything that happens in that game will cause you to frequently commit atrocities.

This is actually sort of how I felt playing Fates: Conquest.  It felt like I was forced to actively do things I didn't want to do, and every good/innocent person killed just felt like the game slapping me in the face for going through the story.  I wound up feeling like a loser at the end of Conquest, and that's probably the biggest reason I hate that path's story with a passion.  I actually consider Birthright's boringness and Revelation's overall flawed existence to be lesser sins than that.

5 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

I'm really protective, and whenever I learn about anybody getting physically hurt/bullied by someone (especially if it's somebody I'm close to) I get incredibly angry and am ready to go bust down some doors and beat up that person

That's how I feel, but I don't know if I have as much self-restraint.  I think I'd do terrible in customer service, at least if I worked in an environment where I had coworkers.  I heard a story about how some dickhead customer threatened someone I cared about, and I honestly think I would've punched that person in the face or at least called security (which you're apparently not allowed to do in the mall for some sordid reason - god, I really fucking hate corporations) and flipped the guy off.

I don't care about myself in the same way.  I'd probably just get really stressed out if I had that sort of encounter.  But I wouldn't get vehemently angry with some stranger simply for threatening me.  I'm only defensive for my friends and family.

2 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

I'm however not someone who had many friends, mostly because I never felt a need for it. But this isn't something that is entirely that way because of my autism. I know more then enough people with autism who are very Extravert.

Honestly, I think I made too many friends in primary school.  A lot of those "friends" nowadays are insufferable tools.

That being said, I actually didn't actively go out of my way to make friends, I just had the kind of personality that a lot of people at the school liked.  There was only ever a certain group of friends that I actually cared about throughout my years of schooling, and I'd be perfectly content if they were the only people that I would remain friends with for my whole life.  I find it's better to have a few really good friends than a bunch of surface-level friends that you don't really hang out with much.

 

I also feel I should give an honorable mention to just driving in general.  It's like I'm the only person on the road who knows how to drive and doesn't have an absolutely cuntish personality.  I mean, this is the kind of city that's chock full of the types of drivers who own huge, jacked up trucks with those "hippie hater" stickers and usually a bunch of other cringe-inducing vehicle decorations, but I also feel like no place is any different when it comes to the quality of its drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me that's when anyone says "Your immature" despite the fact that person is acting like a child and don't tell an adult(like a responsible kid would do) and instead pull a "HE DID IT" and then act like there the victim. God that brings bad memories from middle school, that's for another time and I would  get off topic. 

 

In terms of Fe it's when a unit is literally One point off of killing an enemy. It's always annoying, and frustrating in the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Wait. Is this something that the Netherlands is known for? I thought that people had stereotypes like; Cheese, windmills (it's not like they only stand in 2 provinces), tulips (which are only a major thing in the north of South Holland) weed and klompen (I've no idea how you're supposed to spell it in english). But that we're long? That's new to me.

Aren't dutch the tallest people on average in the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

Aren't dutch the tallest people on average in the world?

That may or may not be true, but it’s a commonly regarded stereotype that folks from the Netherlands are tall, well-built, and Aryan.  Sort of in the same vein as the assumption that Irish folks are the palest-skinned people in the world, except that has more semblance of truth than the “Netherlanders are tall” stereotype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blazecap2212 said:

For me that's when anyone says "Your immature" despite the fact that person is acting like a child and don't tell an adult(like a responsible kid would do) and instead pull a "HE DID IT" and then act like there the victim.

People tend to confuse immaturity with lack of seriousness. My friends always tell me that's a good thing since they think and witnessed that I can solve problems without being serious and cold, which is the definition of maturity for me: The ability to solve problems in the most correct way possible. There's nothing wrong about acting like a childish person if you know that it has limits and it's just a way to act, no a way to solve problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

People tend to confuse immaturity with lack of seriousness. My friends always tell me that's a good thing since they think and witnessed that I can solve problems without being serious and cold, which is the definition of maturity for me: The ability to solve problems in the most correct way possible. There's nothing wrong about acting like a childish person if you know that it has limits and it's just a way to act, no a way to solve problems.

I guess your right that is a better way of putting it, but I feel their is a difference between being non-serious and just being a coward(them starting the problem, avoiding blame and not taking responsibility). THAT'S what my "Berserk Button" is. I don't think people should get away for what they do and not face the consequences. Well maybe, I just grew up differently than all the others "cool" boys at my school. You could say, I was more mature in general for my age, I could not bring myself down to there level, of "lack of seriousness" as you put it. I don't know what that says about me as person, that's just who I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

People tend to confuse immaturity with lack of seriousness. My friends always tell me that's a good thing since they think and witnessed that I can solve problems without being serious and cold, which is the definition of maturity for me: The ability to solve problems in the most correct way possible. There's nothing wrong about acting like a childish person if you know that it has limits and it's just a way to act, no a way to solve problems.

true, I usually play in the classroom after doing my assignments by throwing paper airplanes or stuff like that, when they tell me I'm being childish I tell them that atleast I won't turn into a "Boring Adult Zombie" who just wakes up, works and sleeps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it seems people are being a little more elaborate and specific with their pet peeves so I suppose I'll elaborate a bit more on a post I made earlier:

I absolutely hate it when people say a character is a "bad"/poorly written simply because they're "too mean" or whatever. It honestly drives me up a fucking wall. why? because it's not fucking criticism!! Just because you don't personally agree with or like a character DOES NOT make them poorly written. Like by that logic all villains should be considered poorly written characters cause that's all a villain is at the end of the day. They're unlikable characters by definition. The argument is just so shallow and close minded. 

I mean it's one thing if you don't like a character which is totally fine. You can like or dislike whatever character for whatever reason cause you know that's your opinion and you're entitled to that. However if you're gonna say a character is poorly written please for the love of god DO NOT say it's because "oh they're an asshole" without any attempt to elaborate or analyze the character at all. Cause at that point all you're doing is just projecting your own moral biases onto the character and calling it criticism. Like congratulations you found out the character is an asshole now please explain to me how that equates to poor writing. That's not criticism, it's an observation about the character. To me the more important question is "why?" like why is the character an asshole? and does it makes sense? I don't necessarily have to agree with anything the character says or does but I have to at least understand those things within the context of the narrative. Ugh this shit just drives me insane and I honestly don't think I explained that very well but those are just my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its waiting for something when you show up early and the other person shows up very late. That and being woken up by another person while sleeping for no reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a niece with Autism really opened my eyes, like, I understand many things that were so strange for me... I didn't hate or bash fellas with autism, but I found their actions strange. Now I know that repetitive actions and not looking at the eyes are a sign of autism, but not the entiiiiiiire big picture.

2 hours ago, Blazecap2212 said:

I don't think people should get away for what they do and not face the consequences. Well maybe, I just grew up differently than all the others "cool" boys at my school. You could say, I was more mature in general for my age, I could not bring myself down to there level, of "lack of seriousness" as you put it. I don't know what that says about me as person, that's just who I am.

That's actually a very mature thing! Your sense of justice taking action means that you developed an appropriate moral reasoning. That's what maturity really means about, because you know what's the proper course of action when a "WE'VE GOT TROUBLE" appears. (See? I just can't say something without a silly thing included)

Them trying to avoid problems by blaming others clearly shows that they have some things to learn, things that should be learnt at earlier stages of reasoning development.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

true, I usually play in the classroom after doing my assignments by throwing paper airplanes or stuff like that, when they tell me I'm being childish I tell them that atleast I won't turn into a "Boring Adult Zombie" who just wakes up, works and sleeps. 

I simply can't get the reasoning behind "be more adult and behave"... Is being an adult behaving like a blank, boring character that does nothing for the story?

@Otts486 I barely know about writing characters apart from the occasional-just-for-funzies-OC, but I get your point in the general sense of people criticizing without anything to back it up. An opinion is alright, but when somebody says "bad written character" and got nothing to defend that point... That's like walking through a mine field.

@DreadFighter Heh, I remember one time that I punched a friend in the head in an almost cartoonish fashion because he asked me what time was it at the middle of the night, when we were supposed to be asleep.

Edited by 1% Critical Hit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I simply can't get the reasoning behind "be more adult and behave"... Is being an adult behaving like a blank, boring character that does nothing for the story?

yeah I hate that kind of statement to and ironically enough that statement in it of itself is highly immature. The way I see it is that the more you try to act like an "adult" the more immature you are. Maturity is in essence is just all about self awareness at the end of the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Having a niece with Autism really opened my eyes, like, I understand many things that were so strange for me... I didn't hate or bash fellas with autism, but I found their actions strange. Now I know that repetitive actions and not looking at the eyes are a sign of autism, but not the entiiiiiiire big picture.

A word of advice(coming from a person with autism): The next time you see your niece tell her how much you love her, and that if she needs someone to talk to, your be there. It's important to remind her that it's not anything bad, it does't make her any less smart, it makes her more special,  in a world where we need special people, out-of-the-box thinkers that can change our way of thinking. It can be gift, and it can just as easily be a curse if you let her think like that. I don't know the case about your niece, but if she is having social struggles, I can relate, and maybe I can give some advice, I don't want to see other kids with autism go thur what I went thur(bullying, teasing, and being lonely), I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did. I know this is a bit off topic, I just thought I give my imput(sorry if I'm being nosey).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

yeah I hate that kind of statement to and ironically enough that statement in it of itself is highly immature. The way I see it is that the more you try to act like an "adult" the more immature you are. Maturity is in essence is just all about self awareness at the end of the day.

Who defined that being an adult should deprive you from doing things you like? That's unacceptable and bitter. I'll just be funny, "weird" and friendly just like I want to be.

@Blazecap2212 It's alright, buddy! Nobody should be bullied and neither shooed away because of having autism. Any word of advice is appreciated c:
About her, she's about to be 5 years old, but she can't talk or look into your eyes, seems to struggle a lot in communicating things. Last month, she learned how to point at things so she can communicate what she wants, but make no mistake, she's loved and everybody gives her full support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

It is pretty funny in the Stanley Parable, though.  I mean, that's pretty much a shitpost in game form, but still.

I found it especially annoying when I'd hear people praising the narrative of Spec Ops: The Line in that one moment when it was clearly a railroaded moment.  It'd be like if I went through that "No Russian" mission in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, was not given an option of not playing through it, and was then shamed by the game for playing it, and people then praised it for being a "different take" on war.  Fuck off with that garbage, there's nothing profound about not being given the option of not killing civilians because a video game was being a linear video game and then having the narrator point their finger at me telling me I did a big bad.  You want to know what is a good, dark and gritty depiction of war?  This War of Mine.  Because every action you make is your own, and the sheer uncertainty of everything that happens in that game will cause you to frequently commit atrocities.

This is actually sort of how I felt playing Fates: Conquest.  It felt like I was forced to actively do things I didn't want to do, and every good/innocent person killed just felt like the game slapping me in the face for going through the story.  I wound up feeling like a loser at the end of Conquest, and that's probably the biggest reason I hate that path's story with a passion.  I actually consider Birthright's boringness and Revelation's overall flawed existence to be lesser sins than that.

It's from TV tropes, and I didn't have much luck searching it up myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but the developers of Spec Ops: The Line apparently had to remove both the option to report in when you were supposed to and the ability to fight your way out instead of using the mortar with white prosperous. Unsurprisingly, the majority of play testers did the former without a second thought, and opted to avoid using the mortar and instead fight the battle normally.

It doesn't even have to be something horrific, too. Wing Commander 2 has a pilot berate you for letting a traitor escape and not shooting them when they ejected in an earlier mission... except that them being rescued was a cutscene you couldn't control, and the player character was even thinking of shooting them in it, but their partner swoops in before they can do so. 

The only example I've seen where the trope was actually done well was Thief 3, and that was because it was purely a gameplay thing. Long story short, you can find the note of a widows husband that says that a nearby bag of gold should be enough for her to live well without him. Leave the bag be, and the widow thanks you later in the game. Steal it, and she sends an assassin after you instead. On the highest difficulty, you have to steal the bag in order to meet the loot requirement, which means you also have to fight the assassin later. No tacked on story elements or making the player out to be the bastard they aren't; Just adding to the difficulty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Who defined that being an adult should deprive you from doing things you like? That's unacceptable and bitter. I'll just be funny, "weird" and friendly just like I want to be.

Just like I want to myself.

Blazecap on't worry buddy it sucks that autistic people are treated unfairly, I remember when i was super mean to one one time because I didn't know he was autistic and the entire school ddn't want to tell me because they wanted me to not bother him because I was definitely a bully because the principal hated me and thought of me as the bad guy even tho I was bullied by some very mean girls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Last month, she learned how to point at things so she can communicate what she wants, but make no mistake, she's loved and everybody gives her full support.

Great! That's the most important thing, she gets. I hope for a bright future for your niece, and she grows up to be a fine young woman. Also this whole "Being an adult deprives you of being interesting". I feel there is a time and place for everything but if don't allow yourself to have fun, then are really happy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who try to act more "adult" are scared of rejection and segregation which is so bad :c

My ex-gf tried to be this way and everytime I did something like an intentional snort after laughing, she told me to "grow up" and looked at me with a Celica-like disaproval face, I hated that and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to broke. I don't like to be controlled on how I act or feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Aren't dutch the tallest people on average in the world?

I thought that Scandinavian people where the tallest. But from what I know we are indeed quite tall (last time I checked we were the 3rd tallest). 

@1% Critical Hit If I had to give you advice about children with autism it is to be patient. Many people with autism have difficulty saying what they actually want and because people want a quick answer they will quickly presume something or become angry. This is something that I also have problems with when my brother tries to tell me something (he also has autism). This is especially important when you want to do something new with them since they are easily overwhelmed by new things. But as @Blazecap2212 said one of the most important thing is being involved and showing that you care since they will otherwise have way more difficulty with interacting later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Crystallized Silver said:

People referring to characters as the wrong species, like people calling a fox character a dog, for example

Oh yeah, I also get irrationally triggered by that stuff, especially in video games.

Like Breath of the Wild with its "Sand Seals", which are indeed walruses, not seals (the two may be related, but they're NOT the same animal).

And Pokémon tries to pass of a freaking bird of prey as a freaking pigeon. How do these two species even look REMOTELY alike? And don't even get me started on the "hyena" that is actually a wolf. Also, a Wyvern is apparently a Pterodactylus now. To say nothing of the botched type distribution: Charizard*, a European Dragon, Aerodactyl, a Wyvern, Gyarados, a Chinese Dragon. Guess what their type is? NOT DRAGON! Ugh, GameFreak! Learn your animals, damn it!

*before anyone says anything: Mega Evolution does NOT count, since it didn't exist prior to Gen VI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...